PDA

View Full Version : Hawk to Miss Next 8 Games

NSSoxFan
05-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Detached Retina (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050503soxhawkbrite,1,3632466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Interesting to see who the Sox will pick to fill in for Hawk.

DickAllen72
05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Detached Retina (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050503soxhawkbrite,1,3632466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Interesting to see who the Sox will pick to fill in for Hawk.

My choice would be Beltin' Bill Melton. I always liked Melty and he did great when he did the color with DJ during that spring training game this year. DJ also seemed to do a lot better with Melton doing the color.

Anyway, get well soon, Hawk!

gobears1987
I'd love to see Steve Dahl announce 1 game. I think they'd have record ratings if he did it.

Hondo
I'd love to see Steve Dahl announce 1 game. I think they'd have record ratings if he did it.

That'd be kinda cool.

God Bless, Hawk!!!!

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 10:38 PM
John Rooney, I hope.

paciorek1983
05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
It could be that DJ ends up doing pbp, with Melton as the color guy. DJ has been doing more pbp this season. Maybe this is the reason why he has been.

jabrch
05-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Tampa is coming to town. Can we get Willsy to do a dual broadcast?

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Steve Stone but probably Carmen DeFalco.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-03-2005, 10:47 PM
DJ has been doing more pbp this season. Maybe this is the reason why.
In light of this news, that suddenly makes a lot of sense. I think most of us were just figuring that Hawk was having bladder control problems. :gulp:

As much as the recent Sox power outage sucked, I can't say I'm looking forward to more of DJ's favorite new catch phrase:
"Uh-oh!"

TomParrish79
05-03-2005, 10:49 PM
In light of this news, that suddenly makes a lot of sense. I think most of us were just figuring that Hawk was having bladder control problems. :gulp:

Yeah i figured the reason that DJ was getting so many innings to himself was that Hawk couldnt shake the squirts.

I wish the Hawkaroo a speedy recovery.

BRDSR
05-03-2005, 10:52 PM

While Steve Stone is more of a professional baseball announcer, I'd rather have DeFalco in the booth. I really identify with DeFalco, probably because he's a huge Sox fan and not that old(late 20s, early 30s?). When he announced with Hawk during one spring training game, I thought he did great. I really like his voice...in a totally platonic way. He's got my vote.

DumpJerry
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Won't Uncle Jerry throw a fit if Carmen did it?

Steve Stone would cause us to lose.

Viva Medias B's
05-03-2005, 10:54 PM

That's why we'd see Mike North do it before Carmen DeFalco.

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 10:55 PM
If teal is for sarcasm, what is the bright pink for? :redface:

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM

Steve Stone would cause us to lose.Yeah Freddy Garcia is going to call up to the booth to complain if stoney is being critical of him.:rolleyes:

HawkDJ
05-03-2005, 10:57 PM
It could be that DJ ends up doing pbp, with Melton as the color guy. DJ has been doing more pbp this season. Maybe this is the reason why he has been.

That may be the worst thing to happen to TV since "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?"

Uh oh!.....Buh-bye!

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
If teal is for sarcasm, what is the bright pink for? :redface:

Wishful thinking, pipedream....something along those lines.

Shoeless Joe
05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow, this was unexpected. I'm willing to bet it's going to be either Bill Melton or John Rooney for the temporary role.

More importantly I wish Hawk nothing but the best with the surgery and a speedy recovery to boot.

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
If teal is for sarcasm, what is the bright pink for? :redface:For wishful thinking.

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks.

Wrigley Field collapses in on itself

Feels good

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 11:05 PM
That's why we'd see Mike North do it before Carmen DeFalco.

"Next up, MY GUY!!!, Paul Konerko."
\
:ass:

:chunks:

ChiSox7
05-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Donn Pall will be doing the first two games.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050503soxhawkbrite,1,3632466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Whoops. shoulda thrown a link in there.

kcsportscaster
05-03-2005, 11:07 PM
First off, I wish Hawk a very sppedy recovery after the surgery to repair the detached retina. I'm hoping John Rooney will slide over from the radio booth, especially for the Saturday game at the Blue Jays on WGN simply for the national exposure that he, unfortunately, doesn't get as often as he used to when Rooney worked Sunday Night Baseball radio broadcasts with Jerry Coleman, the longtime Padres announcer, on CBS Radio Sports/Westwood One.

johnnyg83
05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
I vote Rooney.

I'd love a Rooney/Harrelson booth

BRDSR
05-03-2005, 11:18 PM
"The doctors asked me if I ever got hit hard," he said. "I told them I got knocked [down] a lot of times. That's probably what loosened them up. But people have sneezed hard and gotten a detached retina."

In other news, Magglio Ordonez will be sidelined for three weeks just one game after returning from hernia surgery. He reportedly suffered a detached retina after a particularly forceful sneeze. He went 0-4.

popilius
05-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Donn Pall will be doing the first two games.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050503soxhawkbrite,1,3632466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Whoops. shoulda thrown a link in there.

The POPE! Fine choice.

:gulp:

VA_GoGoSox
05-03-2005, 11:31 PM
As much as the recent Sox power outage sucked, I can't say I'm looking forward to more of DJ's favorite new catch phrase:
"Uh-oh!"

"Spaghettios!"

batmanZoSo
05-03-2005, 11:32 PM
This is gonna be brutal. Get well Hawk, we'll miss you. And those who think you "suck" will benefit from a healthy dose of Darrin "uh-oh" Jackson play-by-play...for 9 innings

Banix12
05-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Article: Hawk to have surgery (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050503soxhawkbrite,1,3632466.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

He's gonna have the surgery today for a detached retina and will not be able to broadcast for at least the rest of this series and for the upcoming roadtrip to Tampa and Toronto.

Former Sox pitcher Donn Pall is going to take over Hawk's duties for at least the next two games here in Chicago.

Good luck to Hawk and and I hope he comes back soon.

The Racehorse
05-04-2005, 03:30 AM
Hawker, get well fast big guy!

Wsoxmike59
05-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Get well soon Hawk, we all here at WSI wish you a speedy recovery.

Dan H
05-04-2005, 06:29 AM
As a person who works for an agency that services those who are blind or visually impaired, I can appreciate the seriousness of this issue. A detached retina is nothing to laugh off. Harrelson could have vision problems the rest of his life and it could put an end to his broadcasting. I only hope the surgery goes well, and that he experiences a full recovery.

PAPChiSox729
05-04-2005, 06:39 AM
And those who think you "suck" will benefit from a healthy dose of Darrin "uh-oh" Jackson play-by-play...for 9 innings

I'm not looking forward to that... Get well Hawk!

SSN721
05-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Get well soon Hawk. I like DJ with Hawk, I like their dynamic, I dont mind DJ on Fox national broadcasts, but on innings by himself in SOx broadcasts it is not too enjoyable. I hope the Pope is a decent broadcaster, otherwise this stretch could be brutal. Hurry back Hawk, good luck with the procedure.

elrod
05-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Get well soon, Hawk! Has Donn Pall ever called a game before? What is he like?

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 07:56 AM
I wish we could get a bunch of celebrities like the Cubs would so that I can hear Bill Murray, Billy Corgan, Hillary Rodham Clinton, and Mia Hamm do the play-by-play!!!!

Jjav829
05-04-2005, 08:07 AM
You had to figure something was up with the way Hawk has been disappearing so much recently. 8 games of DJ doing play-by-play? :thud:

"Uh oh, Uh oh...Bye-bye" :whiner:

Get well soon, Hawk.

Chez
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Is Lorn Brown still alive?

DaveIsHere
05-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Well boys and girls, turn the radio up and mute the TV!!!

tstrike2000
05-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I wish Hawk the best. I've been a fan of his since '83.

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2005, 09:06 AM
I wonder if they will have Tom Paciorek fill in for Hawk.

infohawk
05-04-2005, 09:07 AM
"Uh-oh!"

I'm with Sox Addict '73 on this one.

Hangar18
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM

What an excellent Idea. Hes not exactly a baseball guy, but he loves the SOX, has some ties to the team historically, and would definitely make for some PR. Paging Brooks Boyer.......

JoseCanseco6969
05-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Get well Hawk. I think im gonna have to attend the next 2 games just so I dont have to listen to DJ play by play. hehe.

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Get well Hawk. I think im gonna have to attend the next 2 games just so I dont have to listen to DJ play by play. hehe.

Hawk's retina surgery, serious as it is, must be Brooks' secret plan to increase attendance.

Baby Fisk
05-04-2005, 10:01 AM

"Uh-oh!"

It's actually:

"Uh-oh!"

You can definitely hear the teal in DJ's voice when he calls a dinger. It's like he's rubbing it in. It's stupid, but unique.

Get well soon Hawk!

NonetheLoaiza
05-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Hurry back, Hawk. Bring on Beltin Bill Melton.

HITMEN OF 77
05-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm all for Bill Melton in the booth with DJ. That would be an interesting combo.

Tekijawa
05-04-2005, 10:26 AM
I vote for Jimmy Piersol!!!!

santo=dorf
05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
I vote for Jimmy Piersol!!!!
:reinsy
"That scum?"

Jimmy would just talk about what's wrong with Patterson.

Since so many people are talking about it, here (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/baseballclips/DJ%27s%20horrible%20call.mp3)is DJ's home run call.

mdep524
05-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Get well Hawk. I think im gonna have to attend the next 2 games just so I dont have to listen to DJ play by play. hehe. Haha- the Sox best promotion to put fannies in the seats is to have DJ to play by play on TV!

MUScholar21
05-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Since so many people are talking about it, here (https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/baseballclips/DJ%27s%20horrible%20call.mp3)is DJ's home run call.

Hey, can you get me a drop of Hawk saying "I love email" or let me know where you got that one from? I want to put it on my computer at work for my Outlook.

Kogs35
05-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Haha- the Sox best promotion to put fannies in the seats is to have DJ to play by play on TV!

grrrrrrrrr Darrin Jackson, currently the analyst on White Sox television broadcasts, will take over play-by-play duties in Harrelson's absence .

balke
05-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Did Carmen seal his fate in the Reinsdorf interview... so he'll never do the sox broadcast again? It would be an interesting combo with him and DJ in the booth. Please god don't leave DJ in there alone.

SOXSINCE'70
05-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I hate to borrow from Dan Bernstein,but maybe there could be a way
to hit the SAP button on your TV remote and hear Vin Scully do his
version of Hawk.:tongue: :tongue:

An example:

"3-2 the count to Mike Sweeney.Garcia pitches.
There's a long drive to left field,get foul.It won't.
2-0,bad guys".:D: :D:

On the positive side:

"The pitch to Carl Everett.There's a drive into right center field.
Stretch.Get up.It one hops the wall.Pods scores,Iguchi scores,
and the Sox lead it 5-4.Yes.Mercy".:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Get well soon,Hawk.

9 innings of DJ's play by play is 9 innings too many.:whiner: :whiner:

Baby Fisk
05-04-2005, 12:44 PM
I hate to borrow from Dan Bernstein,but maybe there could be a way
to hit the SAP button on your TV remote and hear Vin Scully do his
version of Hawk.:tongue: :tongue:

An example:

"3-2 the count to Mike Sweeney.Garcia pitches.
There's a long drive to left field,get foul.It won't.
2-0,bad guys".:D: :D:

On the positive side:

"The pitch to Carl Everett.There's a drive into right center field.
Stretch.Get up.It one hops the wall.Pods scores,Iguchi scores,
and the Sox lead it 5-4.Yes.Mercy".:D: :D:

Putting those words in Vin Scully's mouth is bizarre. Makes you realize how nutty the Hawk is. More Vin-as-Hawk:

"I'd like to say hello to Enrique Torrez and the folks at Channel 20 in Culver City, California. Culver City...Yes." :cool:

Rocklive99
05-04-2005, 02:06 PM
DJ gets his chance to shine, or show that he really does suck. Too bad I'll miss tonight's due to night school.

I liked Carmen in ST, but Silvy was telling him how he had no chance of ever doing it again now.

I wonder if I could set up my ringtone to have DJ go "UHOH" whenever I get a call or message

daveeym
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
My favorite is when DJ gets that evil/nervous giggle that makes him sound like a giggling school girl.

Greg1983
05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
As much as I hate the Cubs, I've always admitted that they know how to market their product. And this situation, especially having DJ do the play by play, just shows how behind the marketing curve Sox management still is. Even if DJ were a decent announcer, which IMHO he is not, this still shows absolutely zero creativity.

I'm reminded of Harry Caray's absence when he had one of his strokes, and the parade of celebrities WGN brought in to fill in for him. Most notable was Bill Murray, who was hilarious.

It might be a little harder for the Sox; I gather most of Chicago's cadre of Hollywood celebrities are Cub fans. But surely someone could have done a little homework and found someone fun. Even for just a game or two.

Baby Fisk
05-04-2005, 03:39 PM
As much as I hate the Cubs, I've always admitted that they know how to market their product. And this situation, especially having DJ do the play by play, just shows how behind the marketing curve Sox management still is. Even if DJ were a decent announcer, which IMHO he is not, this still shows absolutely zero creativity.

I'm reminded of Harry Caray's absence when he had one of his strokes, and the parade of celebrities WGN brought in to fill in for him. Most notable was Bill Murray, who was hilarious.

It might be a little harder for the Sox; I gather most of Chicago's cadre of Hollywood celebrities are Cub fans. But surely someone could have done a little homework and found someone fun. Even for just a game or two.

:DJ
"Welcome everyone to tonight's telecast coming to you live from U.S. Cellular Field. In Ken Harrelson's absence, my parter here in the booth tonight will be Joan Cusack!"

Greg1983
05-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Is Joan a Sox fan? Heck, I like her. She couldn't be too much worse than DJ, could she?

:smile:

Baby Fisk
05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Is Joan a Sox fan? Heck, I like her. She couldn't be too much worse than DJ, could she?

:smile:

More of a U.S. Cellular tie-in.

Stroker Ace
05-04-2005, 03:59 PM

That would be great!

Greg1983
05-04-2005, 04:03 PM
More of a U.S. Cellular tie-in.

D'oh! I'm an idiot. I forgot about those commercials.

That's actually hilarious. Nice job.

OBTW, Stroker Ace's idea of getting Steve Dahl would be *fantastic,* although I suppose we're dreaming the impossible dream there.

DickAllen72
05-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I for one like DJ. Although he's not a polished play by play announcer, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and that comes through in his broadcasts. I also noticed he did very well when he was paired up with Bill Melton during a spring training game.

Since he announces on TV, there is no need for a really sharp play by play description. DJ is no Harry Caray in his prime, but he's certainly better than post-stroke Harry, or Ed Farmer, and he'll do just fine carrying the pbp in Hawk's absence.

BTW, his "Uh-Oh" home run call is kind of funny once you let it grow on you. Try to enjoy it instead of carping about it all the time. DJ's on our side, he's part of the team!

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Donn Pall is going to be filling in a 'color' man for the next two home games. I talked to him today and he said he's never done anything like this before...and that it should be 'interesting...' LOL I'm sure he'll do fine.

Lip

SoxxoS
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Donn Pall is going to be filling in a 'color' man for the next two home games. I talked to him today and he said he's never done anything like this before...and that it should be 'interesting...' LOL I'm sure he'll do fine.

Lip

I think we should get the Cubs list of 7th inning celebrities and pick 8 names off that list.

In regards to Joan Cusack, I enjoy her brothers acting...and I thought he was a Sox fan, but he is indeed a Flubs fan. Gross Pointe Blank just got downgraded.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 05:17 PM

LipOne of my favorite quotes from Pall was from an interview in which he was asked about pitching to Carlton Fisk. The interviewer asked if he ever shook Fisk off. "Are you kidding?", he replied. "I was afraid if I did he'd come out and slap me."

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 05:26 PM
No.2:

Something along those same lines...from Donn's interview with WSI:
ML: Let’s talk about Carlton Fisk. This was a guy you grew up watching, what was it like to pitch to him?

DP: "Greg Hibbard said it best one time. He said that when Carlton was behind the plate, it was like having a ‘cheat sheet’ during an exam. You didn’t have to think, just pitch. I admired him, we all did. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played and he expected you to play it the same way. I remember an at bat against Robin Yount. Carlton wanted a fast ball inside...strike one. He wanted another fast ball inside... strike two. I’m thinking ‘OK, he’s set up, now I’ll throw the split finger / forkball,’ but Carlton wanted still another inside fast ball. I shook him off, but he nodded his head up and down and I wasn’t going to shake him off a second time. I threw what he wanted and broke Yount’s bat, easy out. I learned about shaking off Carlton! One time we were in Cleveland and Brook Jacoby was hitting. I shook off Carlton and threw the pitch I wanted, and Jacoby hit it out of the park!"

Lip

santo=dorf
05-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey, can you get me a drop of Hawk saying "I love email" or let me know where you got that one from? I want to put it on my computer at work for my Outlook.

I'll try to record it next time he says. It might be a lot harder to do because I'm getting these off of the "top plays" at MLB.com.

EDIT: If you can tell me which game and inning he said it, I can get it for you.

hose
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Lip

The Pope is a good guy, he can't be any worse then my memories of Irv Kupicent doing the Bear games with Brickhouse.

"That's right Jack"

hsnterprize
05-04-2005, 05:36 PM
While Steve Stone is more of a professional baseball announcer, I'd rather have DeFalco in the booth. I really identify with DeFalco, probably because he's a huge Sox fan and not that old(late 20s, early 30s?). When he announced with Hawk during one spring training game, I thought he did great. I really like his voice...in a totally platonic way. He's got my vote.Carmen is a few years younger than me. I'm 33, and he graduated from college a couple of years after I did. If he does it, I'll be happy for him. He's a good guy, a true professional, and a real Sox fan. It was fun with me and him jumping on the Cubs fans in our college radio studio back in the days of Columbia College.