PDA

View Full Version : Shingo

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:13 PM
I think Shingo should be the full time closer again.

RichFitztightly
05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks Dude... I don't think he was ever demoted.

PAPChiSox729
05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I think Shingo should be the full time closer again.

I don't like going outing by outing. He has done better recently, but he still makes me nervous when he goes out there. Eventually, I would like to see Hermanson close. It would be interesting to see who would've closed this one if Sweeney were due up...

NonetheLoaiza
05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
The bottom line is getting ahead of hitters. When he does that, hitters don't sit on his fastball. As long as he gets that first pitch strike, he is in control (obviously). Shingo has problems when he falls behind the hitters, and has to throw his fastball.

That being said, I like the way Ozzie has used Shingo and Hermanson the past couple games. I hate to use the word committee, as that's not exactly what it is. But, I like Ozzie letting the situation dictate itself, and going with that.

VA_GoGoSox
05-03-2005, 11:18 PM
I didn't get to see the game as it was blacked out in Bloomington, but I agree, Shingo needs to be our closer. He didn't succeed in Japan by being a stiff. Wish I could've seen the two K's tonight by Shingo!:bandance:

MarkZ35
05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
I voted closer by situation because i think Hermanson and Shingo should just split the saves but i like Marte saving some games against teams that have hit Shingo And Dustin hard or if were facing 3 lefties in the 9th inning.

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 11:25 PM
I prefer Hermanson and I think Shingo would make a better righty setup man. That being said, I'm not strongly opposed to Shingo being closer, especially if he can do what he did tonight on a regular basis.

WagMan
05-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Shingo doesn't instill the confidence in me as he once did. Plus, with the way Hermanson is pitching, I'd feel much better with him coming out of the pen in when there's a 1 or 2 run lead.

ondafarm
05-03-2005, 11:31 PM
It ain't his confidence. I saw Shingo yo-yo three straight years in Japan. Back and forth between the majors and the minors. He was great in ST (Okinawa, hot and humid) and then froze up when it got cold where he be sent back down and when the weather warmed so did he. Then he'd come back up and fool everyone. With warmer weather he'll be fine. This time last year he was practically useless for the Sox who had Koch (almost) closing.

SouthSide4Life
05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
has anyone looked at Hermanson's stats lately?

balke
05-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I couldn't believe we gave Shingo a full 3 outs in a one out game at the Cell tonight... I really couldn't.

BUT, if he keeps breaking people's bats like he did on the first batter, maybe we can put a little more faith in him. He was pretty wild on some of his pitches tonight, I don't count this as "dominant" or anything.

34 Inch Stick
05-04-2005, 08:04 AM
has anyone looked at Hermanson's stats lately?

He must be on the DL because all I see are 0's.

SSN721
05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
He will get better in warmer weather. And his 7 for 8 in opportunities now in cold weather. If we would have gotten 7 of 8 from Koch last year we would be dancing in the streets. I still dont see how much better you can ask him to be, he is doing well in the one stat that really matters for a closer.

wildcat
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd love to see Shingo succeed, but my heart was in my throat last night when I heard the gong. I think I'd have been breathing a little easier if it had been Hermanson coming in. I'm not sure Ozzie has put total trust back in Shingo--he had Marte warming up from the start of the inning. But hey, it worked, and it looks like Shingo has some of his control back, at least agianst KC hitters. Hermanson doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd get bent out of shape if he didn't get to close. He seems to be happy doing whatever the team needs.

JRIG
05-04-2005, 10:24 AM
There's no need to designate a closer. Would anyone not agree that things have worked so far with basically a closer by situation? Hermanson, Marte, and Shingo will probably split the chances the rest of the year with Shingo getting the most opportunities. I have no problem with this.

It's almost better to have Hermanson and Marte available in the 7th and 8th when you need a key out, rather than wasting them with a 3-run lead in the ninth just because it's a save situation.

LVSoxFan
05-04-2005, 10:30 AM
IF IT AIN'T BROKE...

ja1022
05-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Shing-Oh ****!!! scares the hell out of me. He scared the hell out of me last year too. But the facts are the guy has converted seven out of eight save opportunities so far this year. That projects out to about 35 saves out of 40 opportunities, which ain't all bad. I figured going in to the season that by years end Hermanson would lead the team in saves, but at this point Shingo's earned the opportunity to close.

mcfish
05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
has anyone looked at Hermanson's stats lately?What does this even mean? Do you think that Hermanson's going to not give up a run all season?

BigEdWalsh
05-04-2005, 11:44 AM
I voted for Closer By Situation though I would lean toward Shingo as the #1 guy. Nothing wrong with using Hermanson, Marte or Vizciano if whatever situation called for it.
I'm a huge Shingo fan but he has been making a bit nervous. :nuts:

mcfish
05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
He will get better in warmer weather. And his 7 for 8 in opportunities now in cold weather. If we would have gotten 7 of 8 from Koch last year we would be dancing in the streets. I still dont see how much better you can ask him to be, he is doing well in the one stat that really matters for a closer.I don't want to make Shingo look bad here, because I agree that Shingo is fine and 7/8 is good, BUT Koch did get 7 saves in his first 8 save opportunities last year. He then proceeded to blow 2 of his next 3 and get traded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=6218&year=2004

LVSoxFan
05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey: let's not forget that in those marathon Boston/NY World Series games last year, Boston was using starters in relief, depending on the matchup. They'd go through the entire bullpen in one game, LOL! Even the knuckleball guy got the call!

I have absolutely no problem with closer-by-committee, with the understanding that if somebody's completely hot and unhittable (like Shingo last season), then fine: stick with them (adhering to the "If it ain't broke" rule).

SSN721
05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't want to make Shingo look bad here, because I agree that Shingo is fine and 7/8 is good, BUT Koch did get 7 saves in his first 8 save opportunities last year. He then proceeded to blow 2 of his next 3 and get traded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=6218&year=2004

It was early in the morning and I didnt feel like doing research, my bad. i didnt think Koch saved 7 games all of last year when I think back. I still stick to my guns, Shingo will have to blow more then one out of eight before I would like to see him demoted.

faneidde
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Anyone else notice that both closer by situation and Hermanson as closer are both no answers to this poll, which is also a choice. I think its funny that 2 people picked no without giving an alternative.

Epark84
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Hermanson