PDA

View Full Version : BB2Nite: Praise for Sox, lousy attendance slammed by fatboy Kruk

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
At least he mentioned it was 42 degrees out, and that the Sox were playing the Royals.

:rolleyes:

gosox3072
05-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Its good when Baseball Tonite has to resort to attendance to try to blast the sox:D:

John Kruk.....YOU ARE A JAGBAG!!!!

Over By There
05-03-2005, 09:36 PM
This just minutes after Gammons was talking about how the Twins are still one of the two teams in the AL to be reckoned with. By the way, Peter and Fatboy, the Twins are losing and the Sox just set a MLB record tonight. And this is the crap we get from the "experts." Sickening. :(: :angry: :rolleyes:

SouthSideHitman
Just now on BBTN, John Kruk went off on Sox fans for only having 12,000 people at the park tonight, saying "You're in first place, SHOW UP!"

Now, while I appreciate the sentiment of supporting winning ball, this is just ridiculous. They ignore us until we're doing too well to be ignored, then bash us without knowing enough of the facts.

It's spring, people are in school, it's cold and it's the Royals. We're already ahead of pace for attenedence, given our chipped fan base due to the cubs, I'm not worried. I don't know if I want more media attention or not. Only with the Sox, eh?

White Sox Josh
At least he mentioned it was 42 degrees out, and that the Sox were playing the Royals.

:rolleyes:What did he say?

UofCSoxFan
Kruk rips on the attendence at today's game for the first place Sox. He acknowledges the game was on Tuesday Night and cold against the Royals, but he rips into the fans for not supporting a first place team.

In some respects I agree with him. I for one wanted to go to the game but I'm on midterm week right now so can't.

Still, I expect attendence to increase a lot once the temps return to normal. And personally, I don't need John Kruk yelling at me for not being a loyal Sox fan....i'm a Sox fan DESPITE Kruk being an ex-Sox.

kevingrt
05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
He's got a point though, it is rather annoying. But we work and some fans in this city don't. Wait till July when kids are off school the days are warm. Saturday nights and Sundays will be packed to capacity!

Palehose13

Well, Kruk does know what it's like to not fill it out. :wink:

BeerHandle
I'm traveling for business and am in my hotel room in DC. I just watched Baseball Tonight rip Sox fans. Was there only 12,000 tickets sold and 6,000 in attendance. What is wrong with our fan base? I know it is a deadhorse on this site; however, something must change. The best record in baseball can't even get 20,000 in attendance in a 2 for 1 ticket night in the UD.

THIS SUCKS.

I know some lame duck will bring out the "This Thread Sucks" with your pretty boy sign!

Flames24Rulz
05-03-2005, 09:38 PM
yeah besides its a middle of the week worknight and its not the most comfortable outside right now...Kruk is a smut, i dont care what he has to say.

boiler up
05-03-2005, 09:39 PM
i have finals this week

i would if i could but i can't

A.T. Money
Actually, he's absolutely right. It's an embarrassing tag to have....that Sox fans don't show up to the games.

At 19-7, there is no reason to have the crappy attendance that we have.

I don't care if it's cold. It wouldn't have mattered at Wrigley, or New York, or Baltimore...

I don't care if it's April or May with kids being in school...or adults having work the next day. What a crock of ****. Funny how that was never mentioned prior to 1995 when we drew very well. The strike happened 11 years ago. The white flag thing happened 8 years ago. It's time to let it go already and support this team.

cheeses_h_rice
What did he say?

He was just screaming at the TV: "Just show up! You're in first place!" Lamenting that only 12,000 paid and fewer than that showed up.

Perhaps John's forgotten what it's like to sit through a 3-hour baseball game near the lakefront when the windchill is in the 30s. I had an offer of a free ticket for tonight, and I declined. I was there on Sunday, and even layered up like I was for Bear weather, it was still really, really cold.

Goose
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
One-Nut-Kruk slamming the Sox again. It is a little embarrassing, though, that only 12k fans (assuming ESPN stats are correct, which they always are) showed up to the game. I have to say that the cold is keeping most of us indoors. This weekend should be close to sell out crowds!

koch44
Hey Kruk I go to college, and won't be able to go to games for a couple weeks, but i'll tell you something.

WE. DON'T. CARE.

UofCSoxFan
well he just bashed oriole's fans as well...saying "we'll show up when the playoffs start."

I mean seriously...It is freezing out and a school night. There are 81 home games and most people don't go to all of them so they have to pick and choose.

Rocklive99
I had it on mute, but saw them slow-mo the Sweeney homerun, assuming it was to show the # of fans, and Kruk mouthed something like "Show up" while brownie crumbs trail onto his shirt. I'm surprised they didn't have special guest Steve Phillips for the segment. They must all be pissed though, the Sox are exposing them all for the idiots they really are, so instead of the W and the record, they talk about attendance

gosox3072
ill be there tommarow!

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 09:42 PM
He was just screaming at the TV: "Just show up! You're in first place!" Lamenting that only 12,000 paid and fewer than that showed up.

Perhaps John's forgotten what it's like to sit through a 3-hour baseball game near the lakefront when the windchill is in the 30s. I had an offer of a free ticket for tonight, and I declined. I was there on Sunday, and even layered up like I was for Bear weather, it was still really, really cold.

If the Cubs were at home tonight, there would have been 40,000. Even if they were playing KC.

The temperature arguement is so stupid. Wear a jacket.

peeonwrigley
05-03-2005, 09:42 PM
I can't wait to move to Chicago and do my part... 2 weeks!

Seriously though... if it was 60 degrees or warmer; if we were playing a major league team; then it'd be reason for concern. If I only had the time or resources to go to 5 or so games a year, KC on a nasty night is not on my list of priorities.

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
The weather's supposed to get really nice this week, beginning tomorrow. As long as we don't return to winter like we seemingly have the past week, I think the Sox will be out of the woods, attendance-wise, and we'll see regular crowds of 22K-28K for most games.

But tonight, against the Royals, on a Tuesday, on a near record-low temperature night, I think it's lame for BB2Nite to even discuss it.

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Just now on BBTN, John Kruk went off on Sox fans for only having 12,000 people at the park tonight, saying "You're in first place, SHOW UP!"

Now, while I appreciate the sentiment of supporting winning ball, this is just ridiculous. They ignore us until we're doing too well to be ignored, then bash us without knowing enough of the facts.

It's spring, people are in school, it's cold and it's the Royals. We're already ahead of pace for attenedence, given our chipped fan base due to the cubs, I'm not worried. I don't know if I want more media attention or not. Only with the Sox, eh?

As I agree with some of your points, you make the typical White Sox Fan Excuses! On Tuesday night 2 for 1 (I know they are in the UD), we have the best rcord in baseball and all we have is 6,000 in attendance on 12,000 tickets sold.

Did you know the Orioles had more butts in the seats then the Sox? I think they had 17,000 in attendance.

Rocklive99
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Actually, he's absolutely right. It's an embarrassing tag to have....that Sox fans don't show up to the games.

I don't care if it's cold. It wouldn't have mattered at Wrigley, or New York, or Baltimore...

I don't care if it's April or May with kids being in school...or adults having work the next day. What a crock of ****. Funny how that was never mentioned prior to 1995 when we drew very well. The strike happened 11 years ago. The white flag thing happened 8 years ago. It's time to let it go already and support this team.

Weeknight + Finals Week + Weather + Royals + Typical Low April/May Crowds = 12k for tonight. The causual Sox fan is not stupid either, it's a 162 game season and we started with a similar record last year. Who is Kruk or anyone on BBTN to question attendance when they spent a month preaching to the casual fan about a win drop off and that we weren't even to be mentioned in the same breath with a 4th place AL Central team? Screw them, worry about your horrible ratings, not the Sox attendance. They just have to try and look bold when they say something (RJ winning 30, are you serious?) to keep their jobs

And again, to AT, I say the same that I say to anyone who cries wolf about the attendance, were you there? Look in the mirror before pointing the finger

Shoeless Joe
Let the deadhorse get beaten again...the fans will show up in due time. Everyone at WSI goes to the Cell so this doesn't even concern us. So please everyone carry on as if nothing happen...

Cellview22
I sure wouldn't have gone to tonight's game.. it feels like it's in the 30's and why risk getting a cold when next week it'll be back up in the 80s, and it'll be much more comfortable going to a game then.

Here's a thought: If the media had somehow gotten it wrong (before the game) and reported on all their newscasts that tonight's game had already sold 33,000, I bet 10x more people would've showed up. When people hear it's a sellout, or a near sellout, everyone wants to go. That's why Wrigleys always full. I couldn't care less though. A W is all that matters!

havelj
1st Place Orioles - 17,000 (64 degess)
1st Place St. Louis (at Cincinnati) - 16,000

IT'S APRIL..................STOP WITH THE ATTENDENCE TALK!!

Idiots - enjoy baseball.

GiveMeSox
This happens every year. For the last time, when school is out and the weather warms up people will go. This is just the first time ESPN has noticed this trend. I dont even want to go when its that cold and its the royals, I have better thing to do with my money. Plus I am very happy sitting on my warm couch watching it on TV. Like I said when school is out and the weather is nice I will be there no doubt. ESPN is just dumb.

Fake Chet Lemon
Leave it to the ECM (East Coast Media) to turn lemonade into lemons. They can't rip anything about the team, so they look for ANYTHING. Kruk really made a big production out of it, yelling like the dumb fat-**** that he is. Shut the hell UP.

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Excuses excuses......

It's time to look in the mirror folks.

And in case people ask where I was...I was at home, yes. But I also am a season ticket holder, and have also purchased 12 additional games so far.

BeerHandle

Finally someone that understands. I know people on this site to a lot of games; however, the Sox need to figure out hot to get more butts in the seats. Don't compare our attendance to last year! We have the best record in baseball!!!

cheeses_h_rice
If the Cubs were at home tonight, there would have been 40,000. Even if they were playing KC.

The Cubs have a season ticket base of, what, 25,000? That means they have to sell a whopping 15,000 tickets to make up the difference, and most of those would have been sold in March.

The temperature argument is completely valid, when there are 81 possible times to see the Sox. Why freeze my nuts off when I can just go tomorrow night or Thursday?

:deadhorse:

HawkDJ
I'm not surprised the media is yelling at us, but that some of our own fans are yelling at us is pretty shocking. Look its been like this for years, no matter how we play, it shouldn't be surprising. It was freezing, it was the Royals, it was Tuesday, people work, people have school, finals are going on, AP tests are going on. While we all love baseball, some of us have things going on in our lives that we actually have to attend to. Some people just can't afford to go to every game and a Tuesday game in May against the Royals is not exactly the #1 choice on our lists. It'll be better in the summer, just accept it and move on.

Rocklive99
05-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Finally someone that understands. I know people on this site to a lot of games; however, the Sox need to figure out hot to get more butts in the seats. Don't compare our attendance to last year! We have the best record in baseball!!!

We had a similar record this time last year, and that attendance included a stretch with the Yankmees

peeonwrigley
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Excuses excuses......

And in case people ask where I was...I was at home, yes. But I also am a season ticket holder, and have also purchased 12 additional games so far.

:worship:

BeerHandle
I sure wouldn't have gone to tonight's game.. it feels like it's in the 30's and why risk getting a cold when next week it'll be back up in the 80s, and it'll be much more comfortable going to a game then.

Here's a thought: If the media had somehow gotten it wrong (before the game) and reported on all their newscasts that tonight's game had already sold 33,000, I bet 10x more people would've showed up. When people hear it's a sellout, or a near sellout, everyone wants to go. That's why Wrigleys always full. I couldn't care less though. A W is all that matters!

Do you go to Bear games in the December? I do and I can tell you that the Sox games in April and May are much better!!!:dtroll:

Palehose13
As I agree with some of your points, you make the typical White Sox Fan Excuses! On Tuesday night 2 for 1 (I know they are in the UD), we have the best rcord in baseball and all we have is 6,000 in attendance on 12,000 tickets sold.

Did you know the Orioles had more butts in the seats then the Sox? I think they had 17,000 in attendance.

The Sox surpassed last year's attendance in April this year with two less games and with teams that were less of a draw. The fans are showing up...just not tonight. I've been to 3 games so far and have tickets for 12 more.

StrTrkker
Kruk is a big fat Jerk...His comments on the attendance tonite (12000 fans) and Sox fans in general not showing up (being a 1st place team) really showed his stupidity especially when the Orioles/Blue Jays highlites were shown and the attendance in Camden Yards was only 17000. Um....the Orioles are in 1st place too.

Also...Gammons comments on the Twins & Angels having the best pitching in the AL and will be the 2 teams at the end for the AL Pennant shows his tunnel vision as well.

Well...come playoff time these so called Baseball Tonight experts will probably come up with new excuses why the White Sox won their division and the AL Pennant.

JB98
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Excuses excuses......

OK. I'll look in the mirror. I've gone to four games already, and I've purchased tickets for eight others. By the time it's all said and done, I'll have attended about 20 games. Maybe more if we remain in first place.

However, I'm stuck at work tonight. It's colder than hell out anyway, and we were playing the crappy Royals.

Can we give this a rest?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
The bottom line is the Sox will draw 2,000,000+ as the B-media team in their market. Who they hell cares how or when those 2M+ show up? I have two little kids, I'd have to be a dumb-ass to drag them out to games consistently in this weather.

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Weeknight + Finals Week + Weather + Royals + Typical Low April/May Crowds = 12k for tonight. The causual Sox fan is not stupid either, it's a 162 game season and we started with a similar record last year. Who is Kruk or anyone on BBTN to question attendance when they spent a month preaching to the casual fan about a win drop off and that we weren't even to be mentioned in the same breath with a 4th place AL Central team? Screw them, worry about your horrible ratings, not the Sox attendance. They just have to try and look bold when they say something (RJ winning 30, are you serious?) to keep their jobs

And again, to AT, I say the same that I say to anyone who cries wolf about the attendance, were you there? Look in the mirror before pointing the finger

Um, excuse me, sir. I'm a season ticket holder. I've made that clear around here time and time again. I probably spend about 5,000 a year on this team. I think I put a nice dent into it.

It's a 162 game season, so that means blow off the first two months? Am I mistaking, or are there weeknights in the summer too? Aren't there kids in school in September?

The fan base is loaded with fair weather fans. Face the facts. Not everyone is getting laced in that category, but it's damn true. My own father was one of them. He stopped getting season tickets in 95 because of the strike. He hasn't been the same since. He wants to go to more games now, but he's not very healthy these days. But for a good 5 years, he wanted no part of it.

JB98
05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm not surprised the media is yelling at us, but that some of our own fans are yelling at us is pretty shocking. Look its been like this for years, no matter how we play, it shouldn't be surprising. It was freezing, it was the Royals, it was Tuesday, people work, people have school, finals are going on, AP tests are going on. While we all love baseball, some of us have things going on in our lives that we actually have to attend to. Some people just can't afford to go to every game and a Tuesday game in May against the Royals is not exactly the #1 choice on our lists. It'll be better in the summer, just accept it and move on.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Weeknight + Finals Week + Weather + Royals + Typical Low April/May Crowds = 12k for tonight.

So I have heard this excuse for years. Where are all the fans that have graduated from high school, graduated from college and work in Chicago? Our pathetic excuses need to change!

I'm getting old and so are these excuses!

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 09:52 PM
This happens every year. For the last time, when school is out and the weather warms up people will go. This is just the first time ESPN has noticed this trend. I dont even want to go when its that cold and its the royals, I have better thing to do with my money. Plus I am very happy sitting on my warm couch watching it on TV. Like I said when school is out and the weather is nice I will be there no doubt. ESPN is just dumb.

Who cares about when school gets out. Why doesn't that stuff play a role in New York? Or LA? Or Anaheim? Or San Francisco? Or Baltimore? Or Boston? Or the NORTH SIDE OF CHICAGO???

You sir, are a fair weather fan.

A.T. Money

If everyone had your attitude about how cold it is, then no one would go to Bears games.

balke
You guys are missing the most important thing... he said we aren't very good at defense before he went on his rant.... ***?!

Not running the bases maybe, but DEFENSE? When healthy, I LOOOOVE our defense. And he said this on a night where Buehrle about sewed up the Gold Glove for the year.

BeerHandle
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pa...........THETIC!

boiler up
05-03-2005, 09:54 PM
did you hear his ass with response to mike sweeney's home run

"hit an empty seat in chicago"

Rocklive99
05-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Um, excuse me, sir. I'm a season ticket holder. I've made that clear around here time and time again. I probably spend about 5,000 a year on this team. I think I put a nice dent into it.

It's a 162 game season, so that means blow off the first two months? Am I mistaking, or are there weeknights in the summer too? Aren't there kids in school in September?

The fan base is loaded with fair weather fans. Face the facts. Not everyone is getting laced in that category, but it's damn true. My own father was one of them. He stopped getting season tickets in 95 because of the strike. He hasn't been the same since. He wants to go to more games now, but he's not very healthy these days. But for a good 5 years, he wanted no part of it.

So how do you know that everyone else here is not a season ticket holder, and why assume that anyone here would not put as much money as they can afford into the team? You were not at the game either, and then I could say that you being a ST holder and spending enough money is an excuse (I'm not, but I'm going by your knowledge) The problem is not with WSI members, it's with the casual fan. The attendance topic is tired and old, worry about how many games you can go to and end it there, Kruk or anybody has no right to invade other people's business or question how much of a fan they are

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
The Sox surpassed last year's attendance in April this year with two less games and with teams that were less of a draw. The fans are showing up...just not tonight. I've been to 3 games so far and have tickets for 12 more.

I never have said that fans on this site don't show up for games, it is more a vehicle to vent frustration at our overall fan base. Brooks has done a good job; however, the Sox organization need to figure out how to get butts in the seats with a winning product on the field.

Cellview22
05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Honestly we should get used to it. This is gonna happen all year. If the Sox keep this up and have the best record in baseball, the attendance issues will only rise.. I mean fall..I mean rise.. never mind :redface: .

:whocares
After 10 years of this SAME Discussion, I'm finally over it. Doesn't bother me anymore! :bandance:

SouthSide4Life
05-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Its good when Baseball Tonite has to resort to attendance to try to blast the sox:D:

John Kruk.....YOU ARE A JAGBAG!!!!one time i attached an M-80 to my Kruk Starting Lineup and to my suprise when it blew, jelly flew about....

AJPosguchi
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM

More accurately, he actually said he was going to go "Ozzie" on us!

A.T. Money
So how do you know that everyone else here is not a season ticket holder, and why assume that anyone here would not put as much money as they can afford into the team? You were not at the game either, and then I could say that you being a ST holder and spending enough money is an excuse (I'm not, but I'm going by your knowledge) The problem is not with WSI members, it's with the casual fan. The attendance topic is tired and old, worry about how many games you can go to and end it there, Kruk or anybody has no right to invade other people's business or question how much of a fan they are

Did I state anywhere that WSI members are to blame? I am speaking to the casual Sox fan. And because I don't have my publicist handy, I guess this is my only forum.

The attendance thing isn't tired. The 11-year boycott is tired. It's time to get over it.

Rocklive99
Who cares about when school gets out. Why doesn't that stuff play a role in New York? Or LA? Or Anaheim? Or San Francisco? Or Baltimore? Or Boston? Or the NORTH SIDE OF CHICAGO???

You sir, are a fair weather fan.

I bought my tickets in advance for dates when school wouldn't be a problem, weather would be better, and for more desirable matchups than the Royals. How does that make me or him a fair weather fan? God bless that you can spend $5 k on the team, but it doesn't make you a bigger fan than him or me. We were all fans since the beginning of the year, the "I was always on the bandwagon" claims are lame

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
The fan base is loaded with fair weather fans. Face the facts.

Ding ding ding, we have a wiener!

Let's face it, unless you're a season ticket holder, you're going to pick and choose which games you go to based on a few factors. I'll probably go to about 12-15 games this year when all is said and done, and the tickets that I've bought are generally:

-during the months of June-August (i.e. warm weather)
-against "prestige" teams like the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees and even the Flubbies
-on weekends

The reasons why I've chosen these tickets should be obvious. I'd rather watch the Sox on TV than have to wear 5 layers of clothes. I'd rather watch the Sox play a team like the Red Sox than, say, the Tigers or Royals (though I did see them play the Tigers this weekend). I'd rather go on a weekend when I'm not thinking about having to get up early the next day and hauling ass out of the park the minute the game ends.

To fill seats on a night like tonight, the Sox need a bigger season ticket base, period. Your average Chicagoan who wants to jump on a bandwagon isn't going to show up in this weather only 25 games into the season; they'd rather go on a night when it's warm and fun out, when there's going to be a big crowd (people want to feel like they're "part" of something), or when the Sox are playing a glamour team. The Sox can't rely on their "historic" ballpark or location as a tourist destination, which the other side of town can and does.

If the Sox continue to play well, they'll draw over 2 million. That's fine with me.

ma_deuce
05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Kruk rips on the attendence at today's game for the first place Sox. He acknowledges the game was on Tuesday Night and cold against the Royals, but he rips into the fans for not supporting a first place team.

In some respects I agree with him.

I don't. Its 42 degrees out there. I'm shocked 12K people actually showed up.

OzzieFan
05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Everyone is missing the point........

White Sox fans have been and will continue to be HARD WORKING BLUE COLLAR people.

The ticket prices at the Cell are outrageous.

You do the math

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Ding ding ding, we have a wiener!

Let's face it, unless you're a season ticket holder, you're going to pick and choose which games you go to based on a few factors. I'll probably go to about 12-15 games this year when all is said and done, and the tickets that I've bought are generally:

-during the months of June-August (i.e. warm weather)
-against "prestige" teams like the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees and even the Flubbies
-on weekends

The reasons why I've chosen these tickets should be obvious. I'd rather watch the Sox on TV than have to wear 5 layers of clothes. I'd rather watch the Sox play a team like the Red Sox than, say, the Tigers or Royals (though I did see them play the Tigers this weekend). I'd rather go on a weekend when I'm not thinking about having to get up early the next day and hauling ass out of the park the minute the game ends.

To fill seats on a night like tonight, the Sox need a bigger season ticket base, period. Your average Chicagoan who wants to jump on a bandwagon isn't going to show up in this weather only 25 games into the season; they'd rather go on a night when it's warm and fun out, when there's going to be a big crowd (people want to feel like they're "part" of something), or when the Sox are playing a glamour team. The Sox can't rely on their "historic" ballpark or location as a tourist destination, which the other side of town can and does.

If the Sox continue to play well, they'll draw over 2 million. That's fine with me.

Look, I can care less about bandwagoners. Those people can kiss my ass. Sox loyalists are around, they always have been.

Again, am I losing my mind? Or did we not play crappy teams, in crappy weather in the early 90s? And weren't those teams worse than this year's?

Didn't seem to affect attendance then!

UofCSoxFan
05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
The reason that I am willing to freeze my ass off at a Bears game (I was at the Packers and Texans games this year....the Texans game was the 4th coldest game in Soldier Field History) and I'm not willing to freeze my ass off at a Sox game in May is that I have other options. The reason the cubs still get 40,000 fans, for better or worse is that a Cubs fan can go to 4 or 5 games a years cuz the tix are so hard to get. The reality is that when you could go to 81 games a year, season ticket holder or not, you make different descisions.

And seriously I don't like being attacked by fans on this sight concerning my dedication to this team. I went to about 15 games last year and have been to 1 this year. I am in my midterm week (yes midterms....I hate all you guys taking finals now) which I think is a pretty good excuse. I also play collegiate baseball so I can rarely go to games in season becuase of practice or games of my own. This will all change once I get through this week....but just because you aren't a season ticket holder...either b/c of financial reasons or you just prefer watching games at home...doesn't mean you are an inferior fan.

if someone wants to write my paper on race relations at the beginning of the twentieth century or do my problem set analyzing tax savings of owing compared to renting your home...both due thursday...I'll gladly go to the game tomorrow, shirtless, eating ice cream.

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:05 PM

White Sox fans have been and will continue to be HARD WORKING BLUE COLLAR people.

You do the math

This is Chicago. If you can't afford it, then go to Detroit or Minnesota where it's cheaper.

I remember when Dan McNeil shot down that horrible excuse and he's 100% right.

I don't recall Yankee fans all being millionaires.

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I can't believe people are surprised at the fact that the ballpark wasn't packed against the worst team in baseball on a TUESDAY in 42 degree weather.

And don't forget there was a time when the Yankees couldn't sell out a game if they gave away gold watches to everyone through the turnstyle, but the Mets sold out every game they played without breaking a sweat. Same goes for the Cubs. Everything works in cycles.

JoseCanseco6969
05-03-2005, 10:06 PM

I personally dont mind sitting in the cold...I do it every game for the Bears each year. And we have no excuse for not going to the game. Kruk is an ass but he makes an obvious point. I will try my best to get studying done tonight and make it to the game tomorrow. The players deserve our support.

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:07 PM
The reason that I am willing to freeze my ass off at a Bears game (I was at the Packers and Texans games this year....the Texans game was the 4th coldest game in Soldier Field History) and I'm not willing to freeze my ass off at a Sox game in May is that I have other options. The reason the cubs still get 40,000 fans, for better or worse is that a Cubs fan can go to 4 or 5 games a years cuz the tix are so hard to get. The reality is that when you could go to 81 games a year, season ticket holder or not, you make different descisions.

And seriously I don't like being attacked by fans on this sight concerning my dedication to this team. I went to about 15 games last year and have been to 1 this year. I am in my midterm week (yes midterms....I hate all you guys taking finals now) which I think is a pretty good excuse. I also play collegiate baseball so I can rarely go to games in season becuase of practice or games of my own. This will all change once I get through this week....but just because you aren't a season ticket holder...either b/c of financial reasons or you just prefer watching games at home...doesn't mean you are an inferior fan.

Midterms huh? Sounds like you are on quarters. I remember those days at DePaul. Getting out mid-June blew goats.

But look, you and everyone else arguing with me on this are taking it personal. I'm not attacking anyone in particular, or members of this site. I'm speaking out to Sox Nation. This all has to change.

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 10:08 PM
This is Chicago. If you can't afford it, then go to Detroit or Minnesota where it's cheaper.

I don't recall Yankee fans all being millionaires.I GUARANTEE that if the Sox have the kind of seasons the Yankees had for the past 5 or so years, we wouldn't be having this argument.

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 10:08 PM

And the fact that the media keeps printing that this isn't going to last has probably given the "average" fan the mentality of "wait and see if the Sox are really going to keep this up".

UofCSoxFan
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
yep quarters...the countdown to June 10 is on.

I should still be able to make it out to the Cell after this week though.

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Look, I can care less about bandwagoners. Those people can kiss my ass. Sox loyalists are around, they always have been.

Again, am I losing my mind? Or did we not play crappy teams, in crappy weather in the early 90s? And weren't those teams worse than this year's?

Early '90s:
-Flubbie mania hadn't yet taken hold
-playoff team in 1993, division leader in '94
-new stadium
-marquee names like McDowell, Thomas, Ventura, Baines

2005:
-Flubs almost go to the World Series in '03, still have Hall of Fame locks Carrie Woods, Mark Prior, "Z", and Nomar, and true HoFer Greg Maddux, plus Dusty Baker
-15 years of the national media bashing our ballpark as a sterile ballmall
-no real marquee names on the team, and a lot of new, non-glamorous names, including 2 Cuban players who don't speak English, 2 Japanese players that don't speak English, and a manager who's still untested

If the Sox win again and win consistently (i.e. more than one year in a row), the "fans" will return.

Win1ForMe
05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
OK. I'll look in the mirror. I've gone to four games already, and I've purchased tickets for eight others. By the time it's all said and done, I'll have attended about 20 games. Maybe more if we remain in first place.

However, I'm stuck at work tonight. It's colder than hell out anyway, and we were playing the crappy Royals.

Can we give this a rest?

Are you reflective of every single Sox fan?

paciorek1983
05-03-2005, 10:11 PM

You do the math

I'm not a BLUE COLLAR PERSON + I work hard + Blue Collar Union people proabably make more money than alot of office-type workers + I love the Sox and go to games = ????????????:?:

JB98
Pa...........THETIC!

Why am I pathetic? Because I'm working tonight and can't go to the game?

A.T. Money
I GUARANTEE that if the Sox have the kind of seasons the Yankees had for the past 5 or so years, we wouldn't be having this argument.

OK, well what about the Dodgers? Their fans aren't all movie stars, you know.

And it even costs more to live in LA.

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Meanwhile, it looks like there's about 700 people at the Metrodome watching the Twins.

And they've been to the playoffs for how many years in a row? I sure do hope Kruk mentions them...

OzzieFan

I don't recall Yankee fans all being millionaires.

Heres where Im coming from...

Im from Wisconsin and Im a HUGE Sox Fan.....

When I was little my parents would take me to Milwaukee and Minnesota to see them play. We only went once to a game in chicago and it was right before old comiskey got torn down.

Since then I have went to two games and the new comiskey.

Personaly I would rather drive 4 hours to see the sox before I would go down to the cell again. Its hard to get around.. no great parking options... no where to stay close by, if you are from out of town. I wouldnt say that the CELL is a great stadium draw either

JB98
Are you reflective of every single Sox fan?

No, but I'm damn sick of the lectures about attendance.

TornLabrum
05-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Did I state anywhere that WSI members are to blame? I am speaking to the casual Sox fan. And because I don't have my publicist handy, I guess this is my only forum.

The attendance thing isn't tired. The 11-year boycott is tired. It's time to get over it.

You, sir, have admitted that you, although you are a SEASON TICKET HOLDER, were not at tonight's game. Pot, meet kettle.

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Weeknight + Finals Week + Weather + Royals + Typical Low April/May Crowds = 12k for tonight. The causual Sox fan is not stupid either, it's a 162 game season and we started with a similar record last year.

THE SOX WERE 16-10 after 26 games last year, not 19-7 and THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL!

MORE EXCUSES!

Win1ForMe
05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
No, but I'm damn sick of the lectures about attendance.

And I'm damn sick of seeing only 12,000 people show up for our games in April and May.

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 10:15 PM

And it even costs more to live in LA.I didn't realize it was 40 degrees in LA. That's gotta be some kind of record.

I mean, that is what we're talking about here, right?

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:15 PM

When I was little my parents would take me to Milwaukee and Minnesota to see them play. We only went once to a game in chicago and it was right before old comiskey got torn down.

Personaly I would rather drive 4 hours to see the sox before I would go down to the cell again. Its hard to get around.. no great parking options... no where to stay close by, if you are from out of town. I wouldnt say that the CELL is a great stadium draw either

No great parking options? And there are great options in Milwaukee? Or Minnesota?

No where to stay? Downtown is 10 minutes away.

And obviously you haven't been to the Cell recently. Miller Park has nothing on it.

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 10:16 PM

I disagree with you. I have partial season tix. Let me know if you want to join me for a game and I will show you that a real good time can be had at the Cell...and I drive back to Milwaukee after each game.

BTW...if you want somewhere near to stay, try the Hyatt at McCormick Place.

Rocklive99
05-03-2005, 10:16 PM
And I'm damn sick of seeing only 12,000 people show up for our games in April and May.

But some tickets

ilsox7
05-03-2005, 10:17 PM
This is getting really, really, really, really, really old people. The Sox just had a great win and you guys are beating yet another dead horse.

DannyCaterFan
I agree with Kruk. It is absolutely rediculous and embarassing that only about 7000 fans showed up tonight. I am doing my part as I will be at my sixth Sox game this year tomorrow night. I know attendance will pick up later this month, and this is nothing new for the Sox. They have never drawn fans until the summer months. but still, this is bad! Why don't we Sox fans show up in larger numbers. I know it's cold but it's cold at Wrigley too. Come on Sox fans, support this team.

cheeses_h_rice

And it even costs more to live in LA.

The Dodgers have drawn well every single year they've been in Dodger Stadium. Every single year they draw 2.5 to 3 million. Why, I don't know, but they probably have a very loyal season ticket base with a lot of corporate money (from my understanding, the Dodgers have been the Flubs of L.A., while the Angels were the Sox until a few years ago), their stadium is bigger, and perhaps most importantly, the weather is probably conducive to baseball all year 'round.

JB98
05-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Well, you might want to get used to it. It isn't going to change until the Sox win something of substance. That isn't the way it ought to be, but it's the way it is. The poor attendance isn't the fault of people who post on WSI anyway. The people on here are the diehards who go whenever they can.

A.T. Money
You, sir, have admitted that you, although you are a SEASON TICKET HOLDER, were not at tonight's game. Pot, meet kettle.

I'm not a full 81-gamer. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense purchasing additional games.

I'm the last person you need to be calling a hypocrite. I do my part, there are more Sox fans I think.

Furthermore, I know you preach the Gospel of April and May attendance habits, and it sucks. Although it's been true, it's complete crap.

Win1ForMe
But some tickets

I would need to find 8,000 friends for tonight's crowd to be respectable.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2005, 10:19 PM
AT & Beer:

Instead of critisizing Sox fans why don't you ask the question of WHY they are staying away? Who's fault is it guys? Who destroyed the fan base over the past 25 years?

Hint: SportsVision...threatening to move the team...94 labor impasse...97 White Flag Trade.

I don't blame the fans for refusing to give ownership any of their money. You probably disagree and that's fine all I'm saying is this runs much deeper then just shouting 'the fans won't show up...'

Lip

Unregistered
:twinslose

A.T. Money
I didn't realize it was 40 degrees in LA. That's gotta be some kind of record.

I mean, that is what we're talking about here, right?

Here we go with the weather again........

It's gets cold at night in LA, especially this time of year. It's not a whole lot warmer there right now.

Palehose13
Hey...the Twins just lost. :bandance:

cheeses_h_rice

Well, at least his tickets counted as part of the 12,000 tonight.

But yeah, pretty interesting, isn't it? Tsk tsking those that weren't there when he himself didn't go.

OzzieFan
No great parking options? And there are great options in Milwaukee? Or Minnesota?

No where to stay? Downtown is 10 minutes away.

And obviously you haven't been to the Cell recently. Miller Park has nothing on it.

Are you kidding me about parking in the other towns?

Miller Park you can park in one of there lots without a problem and without needing a prepaid parking pass.

Minnesota while I hate the dome you can park anywhere around the stadium and walk to it without having to watch what neighborhood you are walking through.

I dont know if anyone can argue that going to the southside of chicago is a great place for a ball game.

MRKARNO
Midweek
Royals
42 Degrees
Early May
AP season/college finals

There are numerous reasons as to why the attendence was so low. Stop whining about it. No one drew well tonight in the cold, not just the Sox. The O's didnt either.

This thread=:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
I personally dont mind sitting in the cold...I do it every game for the Bears each year. And we have no excuse for not going to the game. Kruk is an ass but he makes an obvious point. I will try my best to get studying done tonight and make it to the game tomorrow. The players deserve our support.

you get the AMEN!

ilsox7
05-03-2005, 10:20 PM

It's gets cold at night in LA, especially this time of year. It's not a whole lot warmer there right now.

Uh, it's 62 in LA right now. It was 38 at the first pitch here.

Jjav829
05-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd like to see more than 12,000 there, but it's understandable given the conditions. I'll be more upset if this team is in first place in June and we're not drawing 30,000. For now, I'm not gonna worry too much. Hell, the Mets only drew 17,000 and it was 56 degrees there.

A.T. Money
The Dodgers have drawn well every single year they've been in Dodger Stadium. Every single year they draw 2.5 to 3 million. Why, I don't know, but they probably have a very loyal season ticket base with a lot of corporate money (from my understanding, the Dodgers have been the Flubs of L.A., while the Angels were the Sox until a few years ago), their stadium is bigger, and perhaps most importantly, the weather is probably conducive to baseball all year 'round.

Let's not just talk numbers. I know their stadium holds more booties. It's all relative, is all I'm saying.

TaylorStSox

Miller Park you can park in one of there lots without a problem and without needing a prepaid parking pass.

Minnesota while I hate the dome you can park anywhere around the stadium and walk to it without having to watch what neighborhood you are walking through.

I dont know if anyone can argue that going to the southside of chicago is a great place for a ball game.

If you're scared of that neighborhood, then you're awfully naive.

chisoxfanatic
05-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Living in Bridgeport, I can walk to the games. I've already been to three games this year, and bought tickets for two games in the next homestand (Thursday night vs. Baltimore and Monday night vs. Texas).

I wasn't about to go out to the game tonight, because I am a teacher who has a huge history of throat problems when I'm exposed to cold temperatures for prolonged periods of times. I need that throat for teaching every day, so I stayed home and watched the game on TV...Some people just can't tolerate the cold temperatures for prolonged periods of time...I can assure you that we're gonna see many more butts in seats next homestand (the Baltimore series is virtually sold out as it is).

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 10:22 PM

The low today in L.A. was 59 degrees.

It's 39 in Chicago right now with a wind chill of 35 degrees.

koch44
05-03-2005, 10:23 PM

Oh please I've been going to games for years, and never had a problem. There are plenty of Police around to get you in and out safely. And a couple years ago someone posted on the board that more crimes took place at WRIGLEYVILLE than on the Southside.:dtroll: (showthread.php?t=23114&highlight=wrigley+crime)

Here's the link. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23114&highlight=wrigley+crime)

MRKARNO
This is really sickening. If you guys care so much about baseball, instead of whining about friggin attendence, you might be celebrating the 19-7 start and tonight's win.

Instead, you're sitting at home, whining about the poor attendence to a game that you did not attend on an extremely cold day in the middle of the week, early in the season, against the only team in the AL with seemingly no redeeming qualities on a full price night.

Palehose13

You can park in the lot right next to the ballpark without a parking pass. I did it Friday night. You don't have to walk around the neighborhood at all if you don't want to...but it shouldn't be a problem. I guess if you take me up on my offer we won't be strolling to Jimbo's after the game....

Being that you admittedly haven't been to many games at Comiskey, I suspect that you are buying the media garbage about the neighborhood. Don't. The neighborhood is fine.

A.T. Money
AT & Beer:

Instead of critisizing Sox fans why don't you ask the question of WHY they are staying away? Who's fault is it guys? Who destroyed the fan base over the past 25 years?

Hint: SportsVision...threatening to move the team...94 labor impasse...97 White Flag Trade.

I don't blame the fans for refusing to give ownership any of their money. You probably disagree and that's fine all I'm saying is this runs much deeper then just shouting 'the fans won't show up...'

Lip

Life too short to be bitter....Lip. All those examples are AT LEAST 8 years ago. Sportsvision? Come on man, some of us weren't even alive then. lol

If you don't want to give ownership any of your money, that's your perrogative. But keep in mind you're doing it every time you watch em on TV, or tune into AM 1000.

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
This is one pathetic:

:tomatoaward

Unregistered

It's gets cold at night in LA, especially this time of year. It's not a whole lot warmer there right now.Here we go with an actual ARGUMENT. 60 degrees in LA is a helluvalot nicer than 40 in Chicago. To argue that is ridiculous. To think it doesn't affect attendance is equally ridiculous.

Not to mention, it's also "cool" to root for the Dodgers. It's where the Frat boys and blonde girls who wear bikini tops hang out and exchange numbers. Sometimes things just work out like that.

As it stands, the Cell is NOT one of those places.

Maybe when they open up a Margaritaville and a Senor Frogs in the parking lot, we'll be looking at different numbers in cold weather, but in the meantime, we're just not going to draw the casual fan this early in the year in this type of weather, playing the WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

That's just the way it is.

BeerHandle

Absolutely pathetic excuses. Did you know that in 2004 Bridgeport was a safer neighborhood then Lakeview (Wrigleyville) according the the CPD? If you want to talk about the safety of a neighborhood and with Lakeview (which is where Wrigley Field is located) being moe dangerous then why have the Cubs have not had an attendance issue since the mid-90's?

COME ON. Bridgeport is very safe, becoming populate my young professionals and US Cell is easy to get to and park.

A.T. Money

Quite clueless about neighborhoods. By your own admission you've been to the south side twice in 15 years.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I really can't believe that people still buy into the stereotype that Bridgeport is a bad area. It really just shows how naive some people still are. I walk all over the neighborhood, even when Sox games aren't being played, and have no problems.

Win1ForMe
05-03-2005, 10:26 PM
That isn't the way it ought to be, but it's the way it is.
I agree. Our fans need to go out and support the team.

TThe poor attendance isn't the fault of people who post on WSI anyway. The people on here are the diehards who go whenever they can.

Exactly, that's why comments about our poor attendance should never be taken as shots at fans who reside at WSI. It's pretty much a given that fans who are here do whatever they can to support the team and attend as many games as possible. But I'm hopeful that the White Sox fanbase includes more people than just those who follow the team on this board. These are the fans that deserve criticsm.

Lip Man 1
A.T.

You should know that Sox fans have looooooooooonnnnnnngggggg memories.

Lip

ilsox7
What I don't understand is why don't you guys just go re-read one of the other 4 million threads about attendance instead of rehashing it again?

Chisox003
05-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I dont know if it has been mentioned because Im not about to go through 9 pages of this garbage, but next week's series against the FIRST PLACE ORIOLES is already sold out...

Shove it kruk

A.T. Money
Here we go with an actual ARGUMENT. 60 degrees in LA is a helluvalot nicer than 40 in Chicago. To argue that is ridiculous. To think it doesn't affect attendance is equally ridiculous.

Not to mention, it's also "cool" to root for the Dodgers. It's where the Frat boys and blonde girls who wear bikini tops hang out and exchange numbers. Sometimes things just work out like that.

As it stands, the Cell is NOT one of those places.

Maybe when they open up a Margaritaville and a Senor Frogs in the parking lot, we'll be looking at different numbers in cold weather, but in the meantime, we're just not going to draw the casual fan this early in the year in this type of weather, playing the WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

That's just the way it is.

Your post is full of stereotypes. Bikini tops? LOL.....ever been to Dodger Stadium?

cburns
Is this the postgame thread? First time I ever used teal.

Rocklive99
05-03-2005, 10:28 PM
If it costs more to live in LA, then it shows they can afford living there and spending more.

I would need to find 8,000 friends for tonight's crowd to be respectable.

Well it can only start by looking in the mirror. The argument doesn't sound too well "I couldn't go, but I'm embarrased for the other 8,000 who obviously had less important things to do/reasons for not going than me. They call themselves fans?" Now, in a lil bit someone who went to the game will come in here and post about the attendance, and they have the right to since their fanny was in a seat. I just don't see why it affects people so much to see empty seats, maybe it's the tint of blue

Speaking of fair weather fans, we're all diehards here, but how can you not be used to this by now? Are you new? First game you've watched in April/May? The crowds have been better than last year so far, which is not bad for playing less home games, teams that don't draw well as the Yankees (which we played by this time last year), higher tix and parking, and a national media that claims we gave up and we're guaranteed to finish 4th

That's it, I'm done for tonight, still have another final to go, later. Go Sox

cheeses_h_rice
05-03-2005, 10:28 PM

I park on Michigan near 35th Street all the time. There's a huge police station right there. Are you scared of the black men standing outside the Red Line stop selling M&Ms and spare tickets?

If the black men scare you, you can actually pay cash to park in the lots surrounding the park. Only one of the lots is for prepaid ticket holders only.

If you're too cheap to park and too scared to walk by the black men, you can park for free further west, about 1200 West or so near 35th, or at the meters on 33rd Street west of the Ryan.

Sheesh.

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:29 PM
A.T.

You should know that Sox fans have looooooooooonnnnnnngggggg memories.

Lip

No one is asking you to forget, Lip. Practice forgiveness Lip. It'll make you live longer...you can remember longer too. LOL

Win1ForMe
05-03-2005, 10:29 PM
This is really sickening. If you guys care so much about baseball, instead of whining about friggin attendence, you might be celebrating the 19-7 start and tonight's win.

Instead, you're sitting at home, whining about the poor attendence to a game that you did not attend on an extremely cold day in the middle of the week, early in the season, against the only team in the AL with seemingly no redeeming qualities on a full price night.

I believe the person that started this thread was critical of Kruk's assesment of our fans. No one started whining about attendance until it began being defended.

TornLabrum
05-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Well, at least his tickets counted as part of the 12,000 tonight.

But yeah, pretty interesting, isn't it? Tsk tsking those that weren't there when he himself didn't go.

Actually if you read his response, they didn't. He was just another *** not in the seats.

BeerHandle
If you're scared of that neighborhood, then you're awfully naive.

And you get an AMEN! I always grab a few pops after the game at First Base (32nd and Normal) and then I will head to the West Loop.

balke

Wow... I just had a buddy to Sunday's game. He's a huge Cardinals fan and loved the stadium and had a blast at the game. He loved how easy it was to get tickets for whatever section you want, but he also just loved how the place was set up, and thought it would be a great place with a packed house. He thought it was crazy that the attendance was so low.

The only thing I think is that maybe the area around the park needs a boost. Its kinda hard to go spend a day around the Cell. You just kinda have to go to the game. I'd like to see an official Sox bar OUTSIDE THE CELL w/ food or something that was really big, but thats just me.

But I don't think quality of park, or cold weather causes THIS LOW of attendance, although it was crappy out today. And how can the parking lots be so full and such a hassle if noone is at the game? Sox tix prices aren't that outrageous for Chicago, and are pretty low compared to a lot of teams in the league.

But I do think people on WSI are going, and warm weather will bring out the crowds. I also think perhaps Sox fans are so pessimistic, waiting for the team to falter, they don't want to celebrate the winning perhaps. I don't know. Hopefully school getting out adds a large amount of bodies.

I'M STILL TICKED KRUK SAID WE HAVE BAD D! IS HE STUPID.... YES HE IS! MARK BUEHRLE FOR GOLD GLOVER!

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Your post is full of stereotypes. Bikini tops? LOL.....ever been to Dodger Stadium?
Stereotypes?! When was the last time you were there? The last time it was 38 degrees in May, I imagine.

BTW, ever been to Wrigley? Is this whole "trendy ballpark" thing new to you?

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Stereotypes?! When was the last time you were there? The last time it was 38 degrees in May, I imagine.

BTW, ever been to Wrigley? Is this whole "trendy ballpark" thing new to you?

Last time I was at Dodger Stadium was May 16th vs. Florida. Or was it 18th? of 2003.

Unregistered
05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Last time I was at Dodger Stadium was May 16th vs. Florida. Or was it 18th? of 2003. I hope you packed your winter hat.
:D:

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I hope you packed your winter hat.
:D:

Actually, I had to wear my fall jacket. Because in LA, the temp drops.

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I believe the person that started this thread was critical of Kruk's assesment of our fans. No one started whining about attendance until it began being defended.

Well then I am attacking those who defended him and whining about attendence and not those like you then. :D:

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I dont know if it has been mentioned because Im not about to go through 9 pages of this garbage, but next week's series against the FIRST PLACE ORIOLES is already sold out...

Shove it kruk

Don't make dumb statements without facts. I just purchased tickets for the Friday and Saturday game against the O's.

Friday: Section 526, Row 4, Seats 8-11
Saturday: Section 155, Row 32, Seats 22-25

ARE YOU SURE IT IS SOLD OUT!

Reminds me of 83
05-03-2005, 10:38 PM
I was there tonight (3-0) and had a great time along with the other great White SOx Fans in attendance. WHether you are in the lower deck, Upper Deck, Fan Deck, or Sky Box, there is a great feeling in the Ball Park this year.

Come on out Sox Fans and enjoy the best show in town!!!!
:gulp:

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Don't make dumb statements without facts. I just purchased tickets for the Friday and Saturday game against the O's.

Better not be!!! I'm planning on using teacher vouchers for Thurs. I'm going on Sat too.

JB98
05-03-2005, 10:40 PM

I bought a group of seven tickets yesterday for the Sunday game vs. Baltimore. Not sold out yet.

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 10:41 PM
I was there tonight (3-0) and had a great time along with the other great White SOx Fans in attendance. WHether you are in the lower deck, Upper Deck, Fan Deck, or Sky Box, there is a great feeling in the Ball Park this year.

Come on out Sox Fans and enjoy the best show in town!!!!
:gulp:

Good to hear. Unfortunately I had to fly out for business and had to give my clients my seats. They called after the game to tell me thanks. They said that those in attendance were going crazy in the 8th.

I LOVE IT!

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Better not be!!! I'm planning on using teacher vouchers for Thurs. I'm going on Sat too.

You best be a teacher...cheapskate! If not, why are you taking advantage of the offer? If you were a REAL fan you would pay full price so management can have the money to improve the team! :wink:

jabrch
05-03-2005, 10:45 PM

You clearly know very little about Chicago or USCF.

BeerHandle
05-03-2005, 10:45 PM

Thursday still looks good and Sat is getting a good base. Best for the Sat O's game is Section 540 (for 4 seats together). It will be good crowds because Sosa is coming back to Chicago. I hope the damn Flub Fans will not be invading Bridgeport!

A.T. Money
05-03-2005, 10:46 PM
You best be a teacher...cheapskate! If not, why are you taking advantage of the offer? If you were a REAL fan you would pay full price so management can have the money to improve the team! :wink:

Damn straight boooooooi!

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Fact: Of all games in the AL tonight that have reported attendence, none has broken 20,000 yet and it is likely that only one will (Seattle).

TheOldRoman
05-03-2005, 10:49 PM

OK. And that is a good arguement.
Seeing as the Cubs are owned by a national media outlet who prints nothing but cuddly special intrests stories about their players, coaches, and "historical" stadium, they have sheep across America brainwashed. The sheep flock to the Urinal from the city, the suburbs, downstate, and are bussed in from Iowa.
More importantly, Cubs games are not about baseball, they are about going to Wrigley to say you have gone, bragging to friends about how you got tickets, and spending $50 on beer. 40,000 Flub "fans" would park the Urinal to watch Sesame Street live if the entire local and national media told them it was the thing to do, and they thought it was a status symbol.

Yes. Lip beat me to it by mentioning the strike and the White Flag Trade. Management has made HORRIBLE mistakes in the past. The Expos were the only team hurt more by the strike than the White Sox. I truly believe that sox fans finally started to forgive JR last year. People loved the Sox, and there was optomism and midseason that I didnt even see in 2000. IF the Sox have a solid year (and dont fall off the map the last two months) they will draw over 2 mil, and the attendance will increase next year. I go to as many game as possible, but I cant blame anyone who still hasnt forgiven JR for the strike.

irish rover
05-03-2005, 10:50 PM
alot of empty seats in BAL that was not mentioned on SC

Yorke97
05-03-2005, 10:52 PM
alot of empty seats in BAL that was not mentioned on SC

They did mention it in BBTN however. It seems like all of the analysts were making fun of Kruk by pointing how bad the attendance was at all games except Seattle.

koch44
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
OK. And that is a good arguement.
Seeing as the Cubs are owned by a national media outlet who prints nothing but cuddly special intrests stories about their players, coaches, and "historical" stadium, they have sheep across America brainwashed. The sheep flock to the Urinal from the city, the suburbs, downstate, and are bussed in from Iowa.
More importantly, Cubs games are not about baseball, they are about going to Wrigley to say you have gone, bragging to friends about how you got tickets, and spending $50 on beer. 40,000 Flub "fans" would park the Urinal to watch Sesame Street live if the entire local and national media told them it was the thing to do, and they thought it was a status symbol.

Hangar, are you under a new username? :D:

Norberto7
05-03-2005, 10:57 PM
I guess I take a different view from a lot of you older members. I've never thought, "Boy, I'd like to go to a game today, but they did trade Alvarez, Darwin, and Hernandez for Caruso, Barcelo, Manning, Foulke, Howry, and Vining seven years ago...ah, maybe I'll stay home tonight." I didn't follow baseball nearly as much then, though, so I can't empathize with all of your feelings on it.

Another reason that applies to me, and perhaps to some of you, is not necessarily that I can't afford to go to more games, but it's a value judgement not to go. It's a 45 minute drive, plus $17 in parking, plus ticket, food, etc., that's easily $50 for just myself. I could afford to go more often, but I just don't value the White Sox experience enough to do it. That's the battle two sides of me must wage: Sox fan and cheap bastard.

A final reason (or "excuse", if you want) is that I find the experience more special when I limit the number of times I go. Going to the ballpark, for me, is a pretty cool, out-of-the-ordinary experience. Inevitably, the more I go, the less and less that is true. Not to say that it would not be enjoyable, but there would be a definite acclimation there.

UofCSoxFan
05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
I park on Michigan near 35th Street all the time. There's a huge police station right there.

Hey man, don't be telling everyone about my secret parking space when I drive to games :)

I usually just take the redline NORTH from the 55th/Garfield stop though...and have never had a problem with safety....usually I just get asked how the Sox did.

Hitmen77
05-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Fact: Of all games in the AL tonight that have reported attendence, none has broken 20,000 yet and it is likely that only one will (Seattle).

Good point!

Let's see, 40 degrees early season weeknight against the Royals. Hmmm. I'm shocked that we didn't have 30,000 in the house tonight. I'm just stunned!

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Ozziefan was considering taking me up on my offer, but wanted to know more about me before he ventured to Chicago with me. Totally understandable. I think he read my pm and logged off without responding. I must've scared him (I assume) off. :o: :wink:

Brian26
05-03-2005, 11:06 PM

It's ****ing freezing downtown tonight, seriously. I commend the 12,000 that showed up.

JoseCanseco6969
05-03-2005, 11:07 PM

yeah the thurs game is only UD left. i was planning on getting a bunch of people there...but i better get them soon!

WikdChiSoxFan
05-03-2005, 11:27 PM
it hardly matters that no one went to the game tonight...

(since we're citing excuse, finals and broke college student)

...but what really matters is that we all will know that Tadahito went 4 for 4 with 2 RBI's and 2 runs and jacked his first HR in the bigs, and that Crazy Carl doubled a foot short off the top of the fence to score Tadahito from first...and that at the end of the day we still have the best record in the bigs...that's why sox fans are, for lack of a better term, special.

(plus, we'll also know that both the twins and the cubs lost...trifecta...and most of us will know Carlos Lee is still a Cub-killer and some of us might even squeeze out a tear for him...)

but regardless, the Sox Rock, and their fans rock...that's right...you, you rock...congratulations...rock on!

batmanZoSo
05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
No way in hell it should be 30 in May. This city sucks, no way I'm staying here my whole life.

People just aren't gonna suffer their butts off for a 1/162 baseball game.

FoulTerritory
05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
it hardly matters that no one went to the game tonight...

(since we're citing excuse, finals and broke college student)

...but what really matters is that we all will know that Tadahito went 4 for 4 with 2 RBI's and 2 runs and jacked his first HR in the bigs, and that Crazy Carl doubled a foot short off the top of the fence to score Tadahito from first...and that at the end of the day we still have the best record in the bigs...that's why sox fans are, for lack of a better term, special.

(plus, we'll also know that both the twins and the cubs lost...trifecta...and most of us will know Carlos Lee is still a Cub-killer and some of us might even squeeze out a tear for him...)

but regardless, the Sox Rock, and their fans rock...that's right...you, you rock...congratulations...rock on!

Yes, we do rock.

The problem is not that Sox fans don't go to many games . . . we do.

The problem is that there is a relatively small amount of Sox fans.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Yes, we do rock.

The problem is not that Sox fans don't go to many games . . . we do.

The problem is that there is a relatively small amount of Sox fans.

I refuse to believe size matters!

Chisox003
05-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Yes, Im sure it is sold out, if that was a question

Im sure there are a few seats left, but as far as I know, they are expected sellouts all that series...Sorry for making "a dumb statement" without facts, but Im just repeating what I was told tonight....

Take it easy, and have fun at those sold out games

jabrch
05-03-2005, 11:34 PM
We are on the same pace as last year attendance wise - except last year we had already played the Yanks and put 30,000 in the place each night despite cold rain on 2 of the days and cold on the third night. I am thinking we could, if we keep playing like this, come in around 2.5mm this year if things go well. That would be awesome. I'd assume JR would again get KW money to spend at the deadline if he needed it, and surely enable him to AGAIN raise the payroll.

batmanZoSo
05-03-2005, 11:37 PM
We are on the same pace as last year attendance wise - except last year we had already played the Yanks and put 30,000 in the place each night despite cold rain on 2 of the days and cold on the third night. I am thinking we could, if we keep playing like this, come in around 2.5mm this year if things go well. That would be awesome. I'd assume JR would again get KW money to spend at the deadline if he needed it, and surely enable him to AGAIN raise the payroll.

I agree. This is yet another big year where the Sox can turn their fortunes around if they don't fall flat on their faces. A division title with a slew of big sell-out games vs. Minnesota and Cleveland in September would easily push it over 2 million and I'm sure Jerry would put some more money into this team the next year.

flo-B-flo
05-03-2005, 11:47 PM
They must all be pissed though, the Sox are exposing them all for the idiots they really are, so instead of the W and the record, they talk about attendance I thought this, deflecting their lameass opinions about the Sox makeover by bitching about the crowd at USC.

Konerkoholic
05-03-2005, 11:49 PM
It doesn't matter if Kruk is right or wrong. Of course I think more than 12,000 should go to the game. But why is it worth talking about on a show about baseball? Talk about the games, not the fans. If you're gonna talk about something related to the game like attendance then you might as well talk about concessions, which I'm sure fatboy Kruk wanted to do. Bottom line, the intent of his "segment" was to embarass Sox fans, and for that Kruk is a jackass.

Epark84
05-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I agree with him. The south side of chicago isnt the only place with school in session. Its not the only cold place. He has a point

MUsoxfan
05-04-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree with him. The south side of chicago isnt the only place with school in session. Its not the only cold place. He has a point

I do too. This is a 1st place team with the best record in baseball that offered a 2 for 1 ticket promotion. Buerhle was on the hill (quick game). Yes, it was cold but people should suck it up. I enjoyed the "man space" allowed in my row, but the fat bastard has a point. I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but this team deserves people out there.

DMarte708
05-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Of all the occasions to focus on attendance, he selected a chilly weekday against the Royals. This is an unfair representation of our fanbase.

I'm wondering whether or not Kruk will be bringing up this issue every game when he the attendance does not meet his expectations.

Isn't 20,000 showing up in July against the Blue Jays the same as 12,000 against Royals in May? Will he be saying, "20,000 against the Blue Jays on a warm summer day and you're not filling up the place?!" Aside from particular matchups against rivals, big named teams, and weekends, he can always use the attendance card to criticize our fanbase when need be.

I hope to see Kruk reporting from US Cellular Field some time in the future.

MUsoxfan
05-04-2005, 12:21 AM
The one thing that pissed me off is that he said "only 4,000-6,000 people were actually there". That's a flat-out lie. I was there and there were over 10,000. I know that's nothing to brag about, but at least he should keep his facts straight.

Rocklive99
05-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Finished the other final, sweet, one last comment.

I don't see how you can questions the fan allegiance with this game. 81 home games, and this was against the worst team in the majors (no question about that). If the weather was similar or worse and we were in the playoff stretch or something, there's no doubt the people would show. I love to see great pitching matchups, that is what I will pay to see (otherwise everything looks preaty good in high def), and I'm not going to get that with the KC Royals in town

owensmouth
05-04-2005, 12:27 AM

And it even costs more to live in LA.It's seventy degrees here in LA. And don't forget, the Dodgers have Manos.

Blueprint1
05-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I work from Noon until at least 9pm sometimes later on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I work every Saturday until at least six but most Saturday's until 8. There is no way I can go to any games that are not on Thursdays or Sundays. There are probably more sox fans like me. Some of us just cant make it to every game. When the sox start playing games at midnight ill attend every single one. Until that time you will only see me at the Cell on Thursday's and sundays. By the way a girl im friends with parents gave their cubs tickets away the other week because it was "too cold" for them to go to the game. I thought cubs fans didn't do that????? You think they would have bought tickets to that game if they didnt buy them three months ago?????

StillMissOzzie
05-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Someone get in touch with Kruk and let him know that we've saved a pair of seats for his fat ass to come out and see for himself.

SMO
:angry:

elrod
05-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Honestly, I don't understand why more people don't show up. Not tonight, necessarily, where the weather was terrible, but on that first night back from the road trip. I think Chicago is just a bad sports town. There is simply no reason why a casual "sports fan" should root for the Cubs. People who root for the Cubs have a personality disorder. That we can't fill up the Cell isn't an indictment of dedicated White Sox fans. No stadium is filled to the hilt with dedicated fans. Not Yankee Stadium, or Dodger Stadium. And obviously not Wrigley Field. It's an indictment of the city of Chicago and the pathetic idiots that would rather go to a Cubs game than see a real baseball team.

batmanZoSo
05-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Honestly, I don't understand why more people don't show up. Not tonight, necessarily, where the weather was terrible, but on that first night back from the road trip. I think Chicago is just a bad sports town. There is simply no reason why a casual "sports fan" should root for the Cubs. People who root for the Cubs have a personality disorder. That we can't fill up the Cell isn't an indictment of dedicated White Sox fans. No stadium is filled to the hilt with dedicated fans. Not Yankee Stadium, or Dodger Stadium. And obviously not Wrigley Field. It's an indictment of the city of Chicago and the pathetic idiots that would rather go to a Cubs game than see a real baseball team.

I agree, this is not a great sports town. Fair-weather bandwagon jumpers and a lot have no respect for the past as shown by the "MJ who?" signs at Bulls playoff games.

But I'm not going to dwell on measly attendance issues when we're off to our best start in years. This team and ballpark are not big draws or some weird cult phenomenon where everyone will scramble to attend games. Not every team is going to sell out every night. The cubs are NOT the norm, the Sox are. When this team wins and continues to win, they will draw more and more. Most of Sox nation dwells on the south side and compared to the north, there just isn't a whole lot of money. People can't go to games all the time. If this team's going to draw, they have to win. A 19-7 start is peachy, but that's not enough to make people start coming out in hordes.

SomebodyToldMe
05-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Hey, I'd be there everyday if I could. But it's kinda hard for someone who can't drive with no money and no job.

doublem23
05-04-2005, 02:18 AM
This thread no longer deserves to be in the Clubhouse. No one should have been surprised by tonight's turn out. The last few years attendance has risen once the weather heats up and the Sox are riding high. The bandwagoners take notice and are willing to come out to the park on a nice day. The Sox will not draw well on nights like this against Kansas City until they establish a track record of success. This year so far has looked a lot like the last few years on the South Side; all that ended with a late-season fizzle.

You want butts in the seats? Got to wait for the team to preform for more than 26 games.

If they're running away with this thing in June, we break 2 million easily. Which would be fine by me.

The Racehorse
05-04-2005, 04:20 AM
I would if I could... go that is [to the games at the Cell].

JRIG
05-04-2005, 05:33 AM
I haven't read through all the thread, but here's a solution: DON'T WATCH.

Since Kruk joined the show and I heard him open his mouth, the program has lost all credibility. I haven't watched since the middle of last year. And you know what? I don't think I've missed a single thing.

munchman33
05-04-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm amazed that the people on this board have so little to do that they can waste their time by watching baseball tonight, yet they can't show up to a ballgame. When we're in first place. On half-price night. Being at the ballgame, seeing all those empty seats, it almost brought me to tears.

But go ahead and continue to support the FONS (Friends of the No-Shows). I'm sick of this subject. If you don't come to games and you're able to (you know who you are), forget you. You don't deserve this team, so I don't want you showing up. I hate bandwagoners. Leave the seats for real sox fans who come when they can.

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 08:14 AM

You are absolutely right - Chicago is a bad sports town. Sox fans are loyal and dedicated, but our numbers are small and the millions of casual fans in the Chicago metro population continue to consume Cubbie Crack and refuse to support the Sox. If most Chicagoans really cared about seeing a good baseball game, they wouldn't be filling up the Urinal every night. Truth is, most people Chicago are more interested in going to Wrigley because it's Wrigley and going to a Cubs game because the Cubs are so popular - but they don't give a damn about the game. How many times have you heard this: "I don't like baseball, but I'm a Cubs fan and hate the Sox". I hear this all the time and these MORONS are the ones who are going to Wrigley to hang out.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm amazed that the people on this board have so little to do that they can waste their time by watching baseball tonight, yet they can't show up to a ballgame. When we're in first place. On half-price night. Being at the ballgame, seeing all those empty seats, it almost brought me to tears.

But go ahead and continue to support the FONS (Friends of the No-Shows). I'm sick of this subject. If you don't come to games and you're able to (you know who you are), forget you. You don't deserve this team, so I don't want you showing up. I hate bandwagoners. Leave the seats for real sox fans who come when they can.

OK, so how many games do we have to go to to become legitimate Sox fans in your eyes?

I await your sage answer with bated breath.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I haven't read through all the thread, but here's a solution: DON'T WATCH.

Since Kruk joined the show and I heard him open his mouth, the program has lost all credibility. I haven't watched since the middle of last year. And you know what? I don't think I've missed a single thing.

I had the misfortune of falling asleep on the couch listening to ESPN Radio's postgame show, then waking up in time to watch the "Trifecta" taped rebroadcast.

I won't make that mistake again. What a waste of my time.

JRIG
05-04-2005, 09:27 AM
I had the misfortune of falling asleep on the couch listening to ESPN Radio's postgame show, then waking up in time to watch the "Trifecta" taped rebroadcast.

I won't make that mistake again. What a waste of my time.

When it's Reynolds and Kruk debating the issues of the day, it's a miracle you don't hear heads exploding all across America. You'd get more insightful commentary reading the Cubune sports section.

munchman33
05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
OK, so how many games do we have to go to to become legitimate Sox fans in your eyes?

I await your sage answer with bated breath.

LOL. Obviously cheeses it depends on the individual. But I find it very hard to believe there are so many people out there that absolutely can't come and support this team. In fact, I know plenty of sox fans who could come and don't. And I give it to them everytime I see them. I just don't understand their mentality. To me, White Sox > breathing.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 09:33 AM
When it's Reynolds and Kruk debating the issues of the day, it's a miracle you don't hear heads exploding all across America. You'd get more insightful commentary reading the Cubune sports section.

Last night it was ex-Phillies night on BBTN. Kruk and Bowa. Why not invite Tom Arnold onto the show to light a fart, too?

I tell you what had me laughing. Gammons was on the far-right listening to all this b.s. Between watching all the psuedo-intellectual underpinnings of his show evaporate like so many hot dogs on Kruk's dinner plate, and his beloved Red Sox poor showing to date, I half-expected to see him hanging by his neck on the ESPN set when they came back from a commercial break.

:roflmao:

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM

To draw 2.5 million, we'd have to average 32,500 in attendance over the remaining home games this season. That seems unlikely to me even if the Sox continue to succeed. However, I do agree that attendance is on the upswing.

harwar
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Last night it was ex-Phillies night on BBTN. Kruk and Bowa. Why not invite Tom Arnold onto the show to light a fart, too?

I tell you what had me laughing. Gammons was on the far-right listening to all this b.s. Between watching all the psuedo-intellectual underpinnings of his show evaporate like so many hot dogs on Kruk's dinner plate, and his beloved Red Sox poor showing to date, I half-expected to see him hanging by his neck on the ESPN set when they came back from a commercial break.

:roflmao:

kruk and bowa look and sound like one of those old vaudeville routines,and
poor peter has the look of a guy who comes back from the restroom only to find his best friend making-out with his wife.

skobabe8
05-04-2005, 11:09 AM
It's ****ing freezing downtown tonight, seriously. I commend the 12,000 that showed up.

Brian, your commendation made the whole night worth it! :D:

Iwritecode
05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
To draw 2.5 million, we'd have to average 32,500 in attendance over the remaining home games this season. That seems unlikely to me even if the Sox continue to succeed. However, I do agree that attendance is on the upswing.

Yes! Somebody that can see clearly!

For those complaining about the attendance, you do remember that the Sox ended up under 2 million last year right? If they were drawing 30,000 people on nights like last night, their attendance would be up around 2.5 or 2.75 million. I hate to say it but that just doesn't happen. Especially when the team chocked down the stretch the previous year.

Attendance is a gradual thing. It will take a couple years (i.e. not 1 month) of winning baseball with a playoff series win or 2 to get the attendance to really shoot up.

Until then, there are going to be nights like last night. Deal with it.

On a side note, here's a little story that might help to show why the team up north doesn't have nearly as many problems drawing sheep to their shrine.

Living in Rockford, there is a local radio station that advertises a "Cubs Bud bus". You can call in and win tickets for a bus trip to and from a Cubs game. This has been going on for at least three years.

Guess what? They've never had a Sox bus! I bet the same can be said for a number of small towns around Illinois and Iowa.

For whatever reason, the Sox get absolutely no help from the national or local media. I doubt there's another team in baseball that's so hated by the writers in their own city...

faneidde
05-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Sox win 3rd straight and have the best record in baseball, 80 replies. John Kruk, fat idiot, bitches about attendance, 180 replies. Now that is pathetic. We won, please enjoy it.

Lip Man 1
05-04-2005, 11:49 AM
The Sox barely missed 2 million the past two seasons for teams that had holes in them and contended for only periods at a time. If this team stays in the race through the end, they'll draw 2.3 million.

Lip

skobabe8
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I just saw Kruks rant on the tape delayed BBTN and it was WAY worse than I originally thought it would be. I thought he just made a couple of comments during the highlights, NOT have practically his own segment with slow-mo shots on the stands along with a 'scolding.'

Screw him. Easy to judge from that nice warm studio, huh Kruky?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
The Sox barely missed 2 million the past two seasons for teams that had holes in them and contended for only periods at a time. If this team stays in the race through the end, they'll draw 2.3 million.

I wouldn't be so cock sure. The Sox missed 2 million in 2000 in spite of winning 95 games and the division.

You reach 2 million selling season tickets in January, February and March, not walk ups in September when the weather is cool, the kids are back in school, the owner sucks, the media sucks, the Yuppie scum sucks, Baseball Tonight sucks... blah blah blah...

balke
05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I just saw Kruks rant on the tape delayed BBTN and it was WAY worse than I originally thought it would be. I thought he just made a couple of comments during the highlights, NOT have practically his own segment with slow-mo shots on the stands along with a 'scolding.'

I doubt that studio is "warm" but point taken. It was a little much, ESPN pretty much did the same thing to the Marlins franchise in 2003. I just think its weird they constantly have something bad to say about the White Sox. He also said we don't have good D, they mentioned "Makes you wonder how they've lost seven if they've held the lead in all 26 games" yet again... this time not sarcastic at all. They also still kinda mutter through our highlights, and call the division weak.... although some picked the Twins to win the World Series, and said Cleveland and Detroit were going to be great this year before the season started.

Kruk has said the dumbest stuff EVER said on ESPN, not just relating to the White Sox. His opinion means squat, its just wierd how the whole show can't embrace the Sox.

JRIG
05-04-2005, 12:19 PM

At least most of the fans stayed until the end of the game, unlike some baseball players we know.

**** John Kruk. **** him and his fat arrogant, mug for trying to lecture on "playing the game the right way" when he quit in the middle of a mother****ing Major League Baseball game.

voodoochile
05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
At least most of the fans stayed until the end of the game, unlike some baseball players we know.

**** John Kruk. **** him and his fat arrogant, mug for trying to lecture on "playing the game the right way" when he quit in the middle of a mother****ing Major League Baseball game.

Holy ****! Look at all dem stars...

Tell us how you really feel, JRIG...

AZChiSoxFan
05-04-2005, 12:35 PM

In some respects I agree with him. I for one wanted to go to the game but I'm on midterm week right now so can't.

Still, I expect attendence to increase a lot once the temps return to normal. And personally, I don't need John Kruk yelling at me for not being a loyal Sox fan....i'm a Sox fan DESPITE Kruk being an ex-Sox.

Oddly though, Kruk didn't comment on the Twins attendance. They play in a perfectly climate controlled environment, are the 3 time defending div champs, yet manage 16K. I'm so surprised that Kruk didn't call them out as well.

voodoochile
05-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't be so cock sure. The Sox missed 2 million in 2000 in spite of winning 95 games and the division.

You reach 2 million selling season tickets in January, February and March, not walk ups in September when the weather is cool, the kids are back in school, the owner sucks, the media sucks, the Yuppie scum sucks, Baseball Tonight sucks... blah blah blah...

Yes, but that season their ticket base was 8K. It's higher now. In addition, the 2000 team ran away with the division so early that it actually cost them late season attendance because the division was wrapped up in early September for all intents and purposes.

They sold 12K tickets last night and it was 38 with a 15MPH "breeze" off the lake and school still isn't out. I will be shocked if the Sox don't crack 2M this season and think 2.3 is a very realistic goal.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, but that season their ticket base was 8K. It's higher now. In addition, the 2000 team ran away with the division so early that it actually cost them late season attendance because the division was wrapped up in early September for all intents and purposes.

They sold 12K tickets last night and it was 38 with a 15MPH "breeze" off the lake and school still isn't out. I will be shocked if the Sox don't crack 2M this season and think 2.3 is a very realistic goal.

Do we know how many more season tickets? The '00 Sox missed 2 million by 52,000 paid. There are 13 home dates after Labor Day. Thus we need another 4000 season ticket sales just to break 2 million.

That's a 50 percent increase over what you're claiming above.
:o:

2.3 million? The key is season ticket sales and we have a loooong way to go.

JRIG
05-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Do we know how many more season tickets? The '00 Sox missed 2 million by 52,000 paid. There are 13 home dates after Labor Day. Thus we need another 4000 season ticket sales just to break 2 million.

Cracking 2 million this season, even if there's a playoff race down the stretch, should be considered a HUGE success. Anything over and above that is gravy. Maybe, next year, with a big season ticket push we can eye 2.3 million.

voodoochile
05-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Right, but in 1999 they drew less than 1.4M fans. Last season they basically matched the 2000 numbers.

I remember seeing that the season ticket base had recovered to 12K in 2003 after they acquired Colon I believe. I don't know if last season helped or hurt the base, but corporate tickets aren't going down - they cannot get tickets at Wrigley, so they will keep what they can get.

If the Sox keep winning people will buy partial plans later this season or 9 game packages or whatever. As the flubbies continue to tank and the Sox continue to do well, the fans will flow south. Thus has it ever been.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Right, but in 1999 they drew less than 1.4M fans. Last season they basically matched the 2000 numbers.

I remember seeing that the season ticket base had recovered to 12K in 2003 after they acquired Colon I believe. I don't know if last season helped or hurt the base, but corporate tickets aren't going down - they cannot get tickets at Wrigley, so they will keep what they can get.

If the Sox keep winning people will buy partial plans later this season or 9 game packages or whatever. As the flubbies continue to tank and the Sox continue to do well, the fans will flow south. Thus has it ever been.

Sure, attendance will keep ramping up. The point is the '05 Sox can't expect to ramp up any faster than did the '00 Sox UNLESS the season tickets have already been sold -- to the tune of 50 percent more than were sold in 2000, a season we won 95 games and the division championship.

Sure we could lucky. The teachers could go on strike, the weather in September could remain in the 80's until October 1, Rob Gallas could come back and offer "2 for 1" walk up discounts, etcetera etcetera... walk ups are always fickled, and thus lucky to capture.

Short of getting lucky, it all comes down to season ticket sales and our fate is probably already sealed. That's because the '05 Sox can't be expected to do any better than the '00 Sox already did while falling 52,000 short.

Iwritecode
05-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know what this year's season ticket base is? I would think it's up somewhere between 12-15K.

IIRC, in 2000 it was under 10K. We had some record-setting walkups that year.

If the Sox keep playing the way they are, 2 million shouldn't be that hard to break.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know what this year's season ticket base is? I would think it's up somewhere between 12-15K.

IIRC, in 2000 it was under 10K. We had some record-setting walkups that year.

If the Sox keep playing the way they are, 2 million shouldn't be that hard to break.

I would guess it's around 12,000 now, since the announced attendance last night was the same. Hard to imagine many walk-ups on a night like that.

MUScholar21
05-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Hard to imagine many walk-ups on a night like that.

No, they bank on 5,000-10,000 walk ups on nice nights. No way many people decided to check out the game for THAT temperature.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
No, they bank on 5,000-10,000 walk ups on nice nights. No way many people decided to check out the game for THAT temperature.

We need to stop DELUDING ourselves about this subject. Last night 12,000 paid to see the Sox and it was Empty Pop Can "2 for 1" night. Clearly SOMEBODY in that crowd of 12,000 was taking advantage of another of Rob Gallas's tremendous promotional schemes to drive walk up sales.

If we have 12,000 season ticketholders, we're right on target for 2 million season attendance. That's where the 52,000 unsold seats in 2000 will be made up next September. However last night's totals indicate we're at least a bit short of that number.

If voodoo is right, we'll be fine if we continue to ramp up faster in 2005 than did the 2000 attendance over 1999. But season tickets are sold in the winter, not the summer or fall. Thus our fate is probably already sealed.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 01:49 PM
We need to stop DELUDING ourselves about this subject. Last night 12,000 paid to see the Sox and it was Empty Pop Can "2 for 1" night. Clearly SOMEBODY in that crowd of 12,000 was taking advantage of another of Rob Gallas's tremendous promotional schemes to drive walk up sales.

If we have 12,000 season ticketholders, we're right on target for 2 million season attendance. That's where the 52,000 unsold seats in 2000 will be made up next September. However last night's totals indicate we're at least a bit short of that number.

If voodoo is right, we'll be fine if we continue to ramp up faster in 2005 than did the 2000 attendance over 1999. But season tickets are sold in the winter, not the summer or fall. Thus our fate is probably already sealed.

George, by my math, 12K x 81 games = 972,000. Or are you assuming that one season ticket holder holds 2 seats? Serious question.

Fenway
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Baltimore had a bad crowd, Detroit only had 19,000 for Boston and Tampa Bay could only get 14,000 for the Yankees.

Tonight will be warmer but the Bulls on TV so anopther small crowd.

Tomorrow afternoon who knows

balke
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
What's crazy is the fans' reaction to buy one get one free being restricted to the upper deck. Its not like those are the worst seats in the world. Our tickets are pretty low price compared to other teams in the league anyways. Maybe that's something they need to bring back though to get a crowd in there.

MUScholar21
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
But season tickets are sold in the winter, not the summer or fall. Thus our fate is probably already sealed.

I disagree PaleHose. The simple fact is, everyone in the area of the city KNOWS they can walk up 1 hour before game time and still get good seats. There is no way the White Sox count on season tix-they want good weather to convince people to stop by the ballpark (as Rooney would say). The White Sox, at this point, know who butters their bread. Until they become a sexy alternative to the Cubs/Wrigley Field/Wrigley's neighborhood to all the people who go there because it is trendy, they have to realize (and we fans do to) that the window on game day is where the attendance battle is going to be won.

balke
05-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Baltimore had a bad crowd, Detroit only had 19,000 for Boston and Tampa Bay could only get 14,000 for the Yankees.

Tonight will be warmer but the Bulls on TV so anopther small crowd.

Tomorrow afternoon who knows

Also, this is the Royals we are playing. The team the sox play makes a big difference to me. I like to see a challenge. If I go, and we play the Royals I can only leave disappointed by a loss, and mildly content with a win. If we play someone like the Twins or Indians, I can leave very happy with a win, and will be more active with boos. I can't get into a Royals game really, I feel sorry for their franchise.

That being said I think I'm going tonight.

doublem23
05-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I think the point everyone is skirting around is that for the Sox to really start being a major draw again in this market is to win and win consistently. A 26-game start is nice, but we're going to need to see a 2-3 year commitment to excellence on the field, IMO, to see regular 30,000+ crowds all year long.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 01:59 PM
George, by my math, 12K x 81 games = 972,000. Or are you assuming that one season ticket holder holds 2 seats? Serious question.

No. I'm saying season tickets are what prop up non-prime dates, namely those in April, May and September.

If we have a winning team, the walk ups will show up (more or less). The key are season tickets because they already paid regardless of whether the team is winning or the weather is nice. The only dates they make an appreciable difference on total attendance are those non-prime dates precisely because nobody else shows up. Please remember most season tickets are not for the full season.

I'm using 2000 as the benchmark because that's the season where we got about as many extra walk ups as we could hope to ever get. They won 95 games and the division crown. So the difference comes down completely to season ticket sales -- and we need another 52,000 total seats sold just to make up the deficit from 2000 when we fell short of 2 million.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I disagree PaleHose. The simple fact is, everyone in the area of the city KNOWS they can walk up 1 hour before game time and still get good seats. There is no way the White Sox count on season tix-they want good weather to convince people to stop by the ballpark (as Rooney would say). The White Sox, at this point, know who butters their bread. Until they become a sexy alternative to the Cubs/Wrigley Field/Wrigley's neighborhood to all the people who go there because it is trendy, they have to realize (and we fans do to) that the window on game day is where the attendance battle is going to be won.

Spot on. I bought a half season plan in June of 2000 because I wanted to be guaranteed of getting playoff tickets and being there to witness the race to the ALC crown (that never materialized). Had I known how easy it still would have been to get tickets to the playoffs and nearly all of the late-season games, I probably would not have spent all that money, and would have picked which games I really wanted to go to.

The issue of "will it sell out" is what drives ticket sales at Wrigley, I think. Because the team is more popular, it creates a self-sustaining cycle where more people feel compelled to fork over huge amounts of money for season tickets because they don't want to get shut out of the postseason games and key games down the stretch, and this takes a huge stock out of tickets sold to the general public.

Because it's always been fairly easy to get tickets to almost any White Sox game outside of the Flubs series, it leaves people like me open to picking and choosing our individual games, and to making it so much easier to go to games on the spur of the moment. I often joke that "it's great that the Sox have no fans" sometimes, for that very reason. I can always get tickets.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Spot on. I bought a half season plan in June of 2000 because I wanted to be guaranteed of getting playoff tickets and being there to witness the race to the ALC crown (that never materialized). Had I known how easy it still would have been to get tickets to the playoffs and nearly all of the late-season games, I probably would not have spent all that money, and would have picked which games I really wanted to go to.

The issue of "will it sell out" is what drives ticket sales at Wrigley, I think. Because the team is more popular, it creates a self-sustaining cycle where more people feel compelled to fork over huge amounts of money for season tickets because they don't want to get shut out of the postseason games and key games down the stretch, and this takes a huge stock out of tickets sold to the general public.

Because it's always been fairly easy to get tickets to almost any White Sox game outside of the Flubs series, it leaves people like me open to picking and choosing our individual games, and to making it so much easier to go to games on the spur of the moment. I often joke that "it's great that the Sox have no fans" sometimes, for that very reason. I can always get tickets.

Ticket scarcity drives sales. That's why the Urinal is filled with season ticketholders every April and May dressed like empty seats. They bought season tickets to overcome the walk up scarcity.

:giangreco
"Empty seats at the Urinal? Say it ain't so!"

This is the lesson Rob Gallas never learned. He focused on walk up sales never realizing the key is season ticket sales because they drive ticket scarcity!

Grade 1 marketing idiot -------> :gallas

You might as well go piss up a rope for all the good walk up sales will do you on a cold night in April or May or even September once school reopens. Focusing on walk ups is EXACTLY how the White Sox ended up on the wrong side of 2 million paid.

Sell season tickets. Everything else falls into place. Sheesh...

Iwritecode
05-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I think the point everyone is skirting around is that for the Sox to really start being a major draw again in this market is to win and win consistently. A 26-game start is nice, but we're going to need to see a 2-3 year commitment to excellence on the field, IMO, to see regular 30,000+ crowds all year long.

Exactly.

It's amazing how many people fail to realize this point and then start threads complaining about lack of attendance. Or rip the fans on national TV...

*coughkrukcough*

BTW, we haven't had this out for quite awhile...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/showerhead.GIF

ChiSoxRowand
05-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Did anyone see his rant on BBTN last night? After the Sox highlights, he went on for a couple of minutes dissing Sox fans about there only being 12,000 at the park last night. What a jackass, the media always has to find some way to diss the Sox. Also, after his rant Ravech mentioned that the Orioles (another first place team) only had 17,000 at the park but Kruk didn't say anything about that.

elrod
05-04-2005, 02:47 PM
We had a huge thread on that the other night. However, the funny thing about Camden Yards was that they just had the lowest attendance EVER for a game there - the day before last night. On a night when the Orioles are red hot and playing exciting baseball, nobody shows up. It was chilly, but not like here. And the Nats were on the road, so that excuse won't fly. I think the Oriole fan base has legitimately suffered because of years of mediocrity, a terrible owner (Angelos is worse than JR), horrendous PR with the Washington market over the Nationals, and the novelty of Camden Yards having completely worn off.

hdog1017
05-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I can never respect Kruk's opinion because he quit (retired) on the White Sox in mid year.

skobabe8
05-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Wouldnt it be smart to focus energy on cheaper prices for season tickets instead of half priced mondays and tuesdays? If people think it will be worth their dime to get season tickets, they will. But that means you have to treat every holder like they are a #1 priority.

jackbrohamer
05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I can never respect Kruk's opinion because he quit (retired) on the White Sox in mid year.

Mid-game, actually. How does that fool get a job "analyzing" anything

na_na_na_na
05-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Kruk is a moron and a coward everytime I see him I think of that terrible ab he had agains Randy Johnson.

AZChiSoxFan
05-04-2005, 03:12 PM

Was the "postseason games" supposed to be in teal?

HebrewHammer
05-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Brought to you in Ozzietalk:

**** John Kruk. He's a fat ****. He wanted an enemy? He's got a big one now. **** that white trash ************. I saw him quit in the middle of a *********ing game. He wants to rip the ****ing fans? The ****ing fans? When was the last time a team won an award for the number of ****ing fans it drew? Never.

Who listens to John ****ing Kruk anyways? I'm surprised they're able to wipe off the ****ing mustard long enough for him to spew a useless opinion out of his fat ****ing mouth. The stuff his tubby *** into a suit and expect people listen to him? He's worse than the ****ing attendance trolls at WS ****ing I!

voodoochile
05-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Ticket scarcity drives sales. That's why the Urinal is filled with season ticketholders every April and May dressed like empty seats. They bought season tickets to overcome the walk up scarcity.

This is a key point and I think it will actually have a larger impact this season. From the sounds of things, sales are up for many summer series from where they have been and the smaller amount of seats available may well cause some extra sellouts this summer. Once people realize they cannot just walk up day of game and guarantee a seat, it will drive pre-paid walkups (people who only by single games, but who do so in advance) and may drive some of those smaller plans and partial season plans I mentioned before.

The key is the Sox staying hot and starting to gain some attention. That will lead to more early season sales and that in turn may make the difference.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
The key is the Sox staying hot and starting to gain some attention. That will lead to more early season sales and that in turn may make the difference.

If the Sox stay hot and the Twins are still hanging around a few games behind them come August/September, I'd expect crowds of 30K+ routinely.

cheeses_h_rice
05-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Was the "postseason games" supposed to be in teal?

Heh.

That said, the Flubs have played 12 postseason games in the last few years while the Sox have only played 3.

Flight #24
05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
This is a key point and I think it will actually have a larger impact this season. From the sounds of things, sales are up for many summer series from where they have been and the smaller amount of seats available may well cause some extra sellouts this summer. Once people realize they cannot just walk up day of game and guarantee a seat, it will drive pre-paid walkups (people who only by single games, but who do so in advance) and may drive some of those smaller plans and partial season plans I mentioned before.

Home attendance by comparison:

Month 2004 avg 2005 Avg
April 20,118 (12 games) 21,930 (10 games)
May 20,928 (13 games)
June 29,911 (12 games)
July 31,004 (12 games)
Aug 25,045 (15 games)
Sept 20,694 (15 games)

EDIT: Crikey. That table didn't come out well at all. April-05 attendance was 21,930 avg as compared to April-04 avg of 20,118.

Now as noted earlier, matchups were less attractive in 05, and there were fewer home games in April, so we should have more games at higher attendance levels.

But in general, had the team not collapsed following the Frank/Maggs injuries, I think it's reasonable to have expected the attendance not to drop significantly in Aug & Sept. Projecting 30000 avg for Aug & Sep would have put attendance at about 2.15M. Based on season ticket sales being higher this year than last, I'd say if the team continues to contend, 2.2 is VERY reasonable. 2.5 is going to be a big stretch, but given the start the team's had and the (hopefully) earlier good weather, I'd think 2.3mil is a realistic target. That extra 300-400k would conservatively translate to $7-10M in profits, which should provide decent room to make midseason moves without giving up the farm.

AZChiSoxFan
05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Heh.

That said, the Flubs have played 12 postseason games in the last few years while the Sox have only played 3.

I know, I just couldn't pass up a shot at the Scrubs. Still though, all 12 of those games were in the same year, so it's not as if the Scrubs are Atlanta, and every year their fans can count on the postseason.

voodoochile
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Home attendance by comparison:

Month 2004 avg 2005 Avg
April 20,118 (12 games) 21,930 (10 games)

Now as noted earlier, matchups were less attractive in 05, and there were fewer home games in April, so we should have more games at higher attendance levels.

Exactly. The Sox April Attendance last year was significantly enhanced by the Yankees coming to town and basically selling out a weekend series early in the year. The Sox are still sitting on that high drawing series and are already exceeding the sales from last year on average.

Barring a major collapse and expecting a tight division race until the end, the Sox should have no problems exceeding last years number handsomely and that should easily put them over 2M. I am still expecting 2.3 myself but PHG has a point. The way to jump attendance significantly is in January, February and March, not in June...

MeanFish
05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Exactly. The Sox April Attendance last year was significantly enhanced by the Yankees coming to town and basically selling out a weekend series early in the year. The Sox are still sitting on that high drawing series and are already exceeding the sales from last year on average.

Barring a major collapse and expecting a tight division race until the end, the Sox should have no problems exceeding last years number handsomely and that should easily put them over 2M. I am still expecting 2.3 myself but PHG has a point. The way to jump attendance significantly is in January, February and March, not in June...

The easiest month for increasing future attendance is October.

mccoydp
05-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I had it on mute, but saw them slow-mo the Sweeney homerun, assuming it was to show the # of fans, and Kruk mouthed something like "Show up" while brownie crumbs trail onto his shirt. I'm surprised they didn't have special guest Steve Phillips for the segment. They must all be pissed though, the Sox are exposing them all for the idiots they really are, so instead of the W and the record, they talk about attendance

I thought it was fat-free muffin crumbs...I heard he's on a diet...

Dan H
05-07-2005, 07:15 AM
For years Sox fans have been ripped about attendance. We can debate the issue all we want, but I know one thing: Just complaining about it won't change it. And no one will go out the park because some talking fat head tells them to.