PDA

View Full Version : Spanish-Radio Deal- overdue?

hawkjt
05-03-2005, 04:49 PM
I was surprised that the Sox did not already have their games on a local spanish -speaking radio station and am glad they inked a deal today to do a paltry 20 games this season. With our latin player and manager influence I would have thought this is a natural. With the hispanic population in Chicagoland they should have tapped into this market years ago. They need to find a fan base everywhere and anywhere and this segment of the population is growing and will become more affluent as time goes by. We need payroll money.

Rocky Soprano
05-03-2005, 04:54 PM
I sent an e-mail to Brooks about the spanish market when he was first hired, I never got a response, which was strange. :smile:

I had a meeting with Univision about 2 months ago, in their sales dept. During our conversation about their tv/radio programming I asked about baseball, in particular the Sox.

I'm glad that something is going to happen to get them out in the spanish market. Trust me, this market is vastly untapped and hispanics LOVE baseball, this could become HUGE for the Sox.

Great job Brooks! :D:

na_na_na_na
05-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I've been wondering why the sox didn't does this sooner. I also think they should offer broadcast rights for other alternative languages(polish, chinese, croation) at a heavily discounted rate.

irish rover
05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
I always thought they did have one with Minnie doing the broadcasts

koch44
05-03-2005, 06:02 PM
In the 90's they used to be on WIND with Chico Carrasquel as the announcer for the spanish broadcasts.

jabrch
05-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Bien hecho Senior Brooks.....

Lip Man 1
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Good move bringing this back to life.

Lip

popilius
05-04-2005, 12:32 AM
This was a good call. . . I'll be listening! The play-by-play man, Hector Molina, has been doing a good job lately at UniVision.

:bandance: