PDA

View Full Version : Anderson's strikeouts

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
One thing I've noticed while combing through Anderson's stats this year is that they all look great except for one: strikeouts. Through 23 games and 83 at bats, he already has 25. If you project that over 550 at bats, that comes to 165 K's, a very high total. Many a good prospects have turned into not so good major leaguers due to their inability to not strike out every friggin at bat. I know that Anderson walks a fair amount and will probably be the type of hitter that strikes out 100 times or more every year, but is there a reason why that total is so high? Should it even be a concern?

maurice
05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
83 AB / 23 K = 3.32 AB/K. So far this year, Richie Sexton = 2.83 AB/K, and Adam Dunn = 3.07 AB/K. Dunn did something similar over a full season last year but still posted a .956 OPS.

Ks look bad, but they don't concern me if the other numbers are there. Besides, coming into this year, Anderson's professional AB/K was 5.81, so this is probably just a blip due to a very small sample size.

Randar68
05-03-2005, 05:39 PM
One thing I've noticed while combing through Anderson's stats this year is that they all look great except for one: strikeouts. Through 23 games and 83 at bats, he already has 25. If you project that over 550 at bats, that comes to 165 K's, a very high total. Many a good prospects have turned into not so good major leaguers due to their inability to not strike out every friggin at bat. I know that Anderson walks a fair amount and will probably be the type of hitter that strikes out 100 times or more every year, but is there a reason why that total is so high? Should it even be a concern?

It's not really in-line with his career K-rate, and of course there will be an adjustment period. He's gone 3 levels in less than 12 months.

BigEdWalsh
05-05-2005, 07:10 PM
If you go to minorleaguebaseball.com, on the main page you can hear Brian Anderson talk about his time so far in Charlotte. He talks about his strikeouts, chances of being called up, McCarthy and Borchard. It's pretty cool. There's also another link where you can hear Rogowski.

ballclub3
07-04-2005, 04:40 AM

High strikeout totals are definitely a concern. However, that is something he may be able to cut down on as he gets more experience at the professional level. If his overall stats are good, a high strikeout total is something you may have to live with.

soxfanreggie
07-04-2005, 01:33 PM
As long as those batting stats continue and those K's decline, I'm happy with promoting him. Can't hurt to give him a shot.