PDA

View Full Version : Burke Called Up

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
I was just listening to an interview with Brian Anderson on MLB Radio, and he said Jamie Burke had been called up. No other info was given.

Anybody know anything about this?

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Did they send Pedro Lopez back down or is there another injury?

SoxxoS
05-03-2005, 02:32 PM
My first thought was Uribe to the DL.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2005, 02:32 PM
This can't be good news.

delben91
05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
My first thought was Uribe to the DL.

Mine was AJ, maybe his toe flared up? Or perhaps Crede? But since they've been playing, seems more likely that either Lopez was sent down or Uribe is destined for the DL.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Did they send Pedro Lopez back down or is there another injury?

I don't know. I searched the web, and there's no news on the call up. I guess we'll have to wait for game time to find out.

According to Anderson, Burke had been playing third for Charlotte. Jamie can play the corners and catch, so I hope there's nothing wrong with AJ's foot.

I think you may be right, though. Willie Harris is probably back from his family business, and Uribe and Ozuna can't be out much longer.

DaveIsHere
05-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Hopefully it is Ozuna heading to the DL

Chez
05-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking Uribe and Ozuna are ready. No need for Lopez anymore.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Good point. With AJ ailing, we could probably use a 3rd catcher.

GiveMeSox
05-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Yeah with Uribe and Ozuna coming back as well as Harris there is no need for lopez. And we still have an open roster spot becuase of Gload on the dl. So there is no need for lopez anymore, hence the call up for burke.

mantis1212
05-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah with Uribe and Ozuna coming back as well as Harris there is no need for lopez. And we still have an open roster spot becuase of Gload on the dl. So there is no need for lopez anymore, hence the call up for burke.

Well, we do need a righty bat off the bench- and Burke is a career .300 hitter in the bigs as basically a pinch hitter/backup. I like it, but not as much as I like the fact that Uribe is getting better- he's just an awesome player IMO

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, we do need a righty bat off the bench- and Burke is a career .300 hitter in the bigs as basically a pinch hitter/backup. I like it, but not as much as I like the fact that Uribe is getting better- he's just an awesome player IMO

Jaime played a couple of games in right last year. I don't think Guillen has that in mind, but with Dye being unproductive so far, it makes me wonder.

Chez
05-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Jaime played a couple of games in right last year. I don't think Guillen has that in mind, but with Dye being unproductive so far, it makes me wonder.

He also can play first and, with Gload on the DL, is a better late inning defensive option there than Ozuna. It allows Ozzie the flexibility to pinch run for Paulie.

ATXBMX
05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
He's on the 25 man roster, but as of 3:15, the roster is at 26. It does not indicate who has been sent down/placed on the dl. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cws)

elrod
05-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Juan Uribe is the key to this offense. With him in there, we have six legitimate power threats (20HR or more)

Everett
Konerko
Dye
Rowand
Crede
Uribe

Without him, we have much less punch. Sure, AJ can go deep, and I'm sure Tadahito has one in him, but there are a lot of light hitters in a row right now, especially at the bottom and top end of the lineup. Now it's great that they've been getting on base a ton for us, with lots of clutch hits too. The top-bottom carried us through KC. But our offense succeeds when it has balance, and with the struggles from the usual 3-4-5 slot, we need some more pop at the ends of the lineup. Thus, we need Uribe.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 04:24 PM
He also can play first and, with Gload on the DL, is a better late inning defensive option there than Ozuna. It allows Ozzie the flexibility to pinch run for Paulie.Burke actually makes a lot more sense to have on the bench than Gload. He can play 1B, 3B, C and he's a better OF than Gload. And he's a RH bat off the bench. The only thing is they now have nobody off the bench with any power, which limits your late-inning game strategy.

kevingrt
05-03-2005, 04:24 PM
I see no problem with a 26 man roster... Seriously with the injuries we have though we deserve 26 guys

ATXBMX
05-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Burke will probably catch Buehrle tonight with lefty Brian Anderson pitching.

DickAllen72
05-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Burke will probably catch Buehrle tonight with lefty Brian Anderson pitching.

That would suck. Widger has earned his playing time. We just had a day off.

I'm hoping the reason Burke was called up is because Uribe, Ozuna and Harris are all ready to go which eliminates the need for Lopez on the bench.

NotSince1917
05-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Harris is on bereavement leave for at least three days.

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I sent an email to MJH about this, I know Levine is supposed to be at the park tonight-hopefully he can add some insight.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 04:37 PM
He's on the 25 man roster, but as of 3:15, the roster is at 26. It does not indicate who has been sent down/placed on the dl. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cws)

Going down the roster sure puts things in perspective. It seems obvious that Lopez is headed back down.

I can only come up with two explanations for his name still being listed:

1) The webmaster is piss poor.

2) Management is awaiting medical test results before making a decision.

The first possibility seems likely, while the second is admittedly a bit paranoid.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Harris is on bereavement leave for at least three days.

Are you sure about this? From what I've read, Willie is supposed to be back tonight.

bafiarocks03
05-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Are you sure about this? From what I've read, Willie is supposed to be back tonight.

OH YES!! Please be back today!!!

NotSince1917
05-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Release on Harris/Burke transaction was released a few minutes ago.

maurice
05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
I imagine they never intended to keep Lopez on the 25-man for very long to avoid "service-time" issues. KW hinted at this in the "Play Ozzie at SS" articles.

mweflen
05-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Release on Harris/Burke transaction was released a few minutes ago.

linky?

thepaulbowski
05-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Going down the roster sure puts things in perspective. It seems obvious that Lopez is headed back down.

I can only come up with two explanations for his name still being listed:

1) The webmaster is piss poor.

2) Management is awaiting medical test results before making a decision.

The first possibility seems likely, while the second is admittedly a bit paranoid.

IIRC, Lopez has to stay on the club for at least 10 days until he can be optioned again.

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Here's the only mention of it that I can find on the net:

http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3156388

No mention of Harris, but bereavement leave sounds quite plausible and you can call up people for that from what I know.

gosox41
05-03-2005, 04:56 PM
I sent an email to MJH about this, I know Levine is supposed to be at the park tonight-hopefully he can add some insight.

Bruce Levine's insight will consist of this:

"Blah, Blah, Blah, Cubs rule, Blah etc."

Bob

maurice
05-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Link (http://www.charlotteknights.com/pressbox/news/giambi.html) to Charlotte Knights release.

No word on who Burke replaces on the 25-man.

Edit: The roster on the Knights' page is current but doesn't include Lopez. Hmm.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
IIRC, Lopez has to stay on the club for at least 10 days until he can be optioned again.I thought it was the other way...once you option a player, you can't bring him back for 10 days. I couldn't find anything in the CBA about it either way.

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Willie is gone, courtesy of a SportsCenter update. Kudos to those who were plugged in on that one.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Story on Sox website. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036829&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

ATXBMX
05-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Official Release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036829&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Daver
05-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I thought it was the other way...once you option a player, you can't bring him back for 10 days. I couldn't find anything in the CBA about it either way.

It's in there somewhere, but you have the gist of it correct. You can option a player up for one game and send him down the next day, but he has to remain with the minor league club for ten consecutive days before being optioned again, IIRC. It was ammended in the early eighties to prevent teams from keeping their fifth starter off the roster till the day he pitched, thereby carrying an additional positional player.

DickAllen72
05-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Condolences to Willie and the Harris family. Does anyone know who it was that passed away?

Also, is Willie on the bereavement list retroactive to Sunday or do his minimum three days start today?

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Story on Sox website. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036829&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Thanks.

Looks like Burke's been hot at Charlotte:

Burke, 33, hit .284 (23-81) with three home runs and nine RBI in 24 games with Charlotte. The 6-foot, 225-pounder hit safely in his last nine games, batting .429 (15-35) with seven RBI and eight runs scored.

I reiterate my statement about the Sox webmaster being clueless, though:

The White Sox 40-man roster now stands at 40.
LMAO!

SpammySosa
05-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks.

LMAO!

I didn't know Ed Farmer was the webmaster.:redneck

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks.

LMAO!Teams usually don't carry a full complement of 40 on their 40-man roster. The Sox had 39 yesterday.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 05:15 PM
I didn't know Ed Farmer was the webmaster.:redneck

Farmer won't admit it. He'll claim it's all Castanza's fault.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Teams usually don't carry a full complement of 40 on their 40-man roster. The Sox had 39 yesterday.

Okay, I'm ignorant. Please explain this. I thought teams had 25-man rosters until September (or whenever the cut-off date is).

CPditka
05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
As a side note, is Ben Davis just going to waste away in the minors...?

Whats his deal, can't we get something for him, even w/ his $1mil deal?

kevingrt
05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Aww... no more Willie!!!

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Okay, I'm ignorant. Please explain this. I thought teams had 25-man rosters until September (or whenever the cut-off date is).Each team has a 40-man roster. Only 25 can be active until Sept 1. The additional players are on optional assignment to a minor league club. There are lots of rules governing movement of players between rosters, which I won't go into here. If you look at the roster on the Sox website, you'll see the names on each.

Daver
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Okay, I'm ignorant. Please explain this. I thought teams had 25-man rosters until September (or whenever the cut-off date is).

Teams have an active roster of 25, and a roster of forty, 15 of whom are minor league players protected from the rule 5 draft. At the moment, the Sox have an active roster of 26, because Harris is on leave, not optioned.

Daver
05-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Burke will have to clear waivers to be sent back down also, unless the Sox choose to keep him on the forty man roster.

kevingrt
05-03-2005, 05:23 PM
He is on the Beaverment List according to an official release by the Sox... Jaime Burke, a third catcher for the Sox, will take his place... http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036829&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Who is going to score from first now on a single???

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Burke will have to clear waivers to be sent back down also, unless the Sox choose to keep him on the forty man roster.Isn't Burke out of options? He'd have to clear waivers to be optioned, wouldn't he?

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Each team has a 40-man roster. Only 25 can be active until Sept 1. The additional players are on optional assignment to a minor league club. There are lots of rules governing movement of players between rosters, which I won't go into here. If you look at the roster on the Sox website, you'll see the names on each.

I get it now.

IOW, at any given time, there are only 15 players which can be called up.

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Burke will have to clear waivers to be sent back down also, unless the Sox choose to keep him on the forty man roster.

I dont know why they wouldnt keep him on the 40 man. They werent using the spot anyways. Unless are there some decent prospects that we have that might be eligible for the Rule V draft if we do not protect them?

MeanFish
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
He is on the Beaverment List according to an official release by the Sox... Jaime Burke, a third catcher for the Sox, will take his place... http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036829&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Who is going to score from first now on a single???

Three thoughts:

1.) Bafia isn't going to like this. :o:

2.) Ozuna can score from first too :smile:

3.) "Beaverment" is a great word. :cool:

Daver
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Isn't Burke out of options? He'd have to clear waivers to be optioned, wouldn't he?

I would guess he is now that I think about it. I keep forgetting the guy has been around the league for ten years.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I get it now.

IOW, at any given time, there are only 15 players which can be called up.You can call up anyone on the 40-man roster who is on optional assignment. But you can call up another player, adding him to the 40-man roster by purchasing his contract (which is what they did with Burke). But if your 40-man roster is full, you'd have to waive someone to make room, which is why teams generally leave a few open spots on their 40-man roster.

Daver
05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I get it now.

IOW, at any given time, there are only 15 players which can be called up.

No, any player can be called up, but only fifteen are protected from the rule 5 draft.

Daver
05-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I dont know why they wouldnt keep him on the 40 man. They werent using the spot anyways. Unless are there some decent prospects that we have that might be eligible for the Rule V draft if we do not protect them?

They wouldn't need to be added till the end of May anyway.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM

I hope they keep him on the active roster. We know Lopez is going back down, and I think Burke would be a better fit than Gload, or even Cotts to be honest with you. If the Sox starters keep going long into games, a reliever becomes expendable.

SoxFan48
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
As a side note, is Ben Davis just going to waste away in the minors...?

Whats his deal, can't we get something for him, even w/ his $1mil deal?

...and his $1 million deal and why?

MeanFish
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I hope they keep him on the active roster. We know Lopez is going back down, and I think Burke would be a better fit than Gload, or even Cotts to be honest with you. If the Sox starters keep going long into games, a reliever becomes expendable.

A five-man pen is out of the question. Period. Even though our starters are doing well, our pen is getting a fair amount of use and we aren't swimming in an excess of relief pitching. Guys are needing a lot of days off in the pen too, reducing the # of guys we have available on a given day. We need that sixth guy, if not a seventh.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 05:38 PM
A five-man pen is out of the question. Period. Even though our starters are doing well, our pen is getting a fair amount of use and we aren't swimming in an excess of relief pitching. Guys are needing a lot of days off in the pen too, reducing the # of guys we have available on a given day. We need that sixth guy, if not a seventh.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was trying to rationalize keeping Burke, which I still think is a good idea. Having three catchers, with one being a versatile
utility player, is essential in my mind.

mcfish
05-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Isn't Burke out of options? He'd have to clear waivers to be optioned, wouldn't he?He's already cleared waivers once this season (granted, it was during Spring Training).

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:47 PM
He's already cleared waivers once this season (granted, it was during Spring Training).That was when he was removed from the 40-man roster. Unless I misunderstand the rules, he'd have to clear again to be optioned.

mcfish
05-03-2005, 05:49 PM
That was when he was removed from the 40-man roster. Unless I misunderstand the rules, he'd have to clear again to be optioned.I know. That's not what I meant. I meant that he has done it once, hopefully he can do it again if we need him to. Unless someone has lost a backup catcher somewhere, it seems as if the other teams have no interest in picking up Burke.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I know. That's not what I meant. I meant that he has done it once, hopefully he can do it again if we need him to. Unless someone has lost a backup catcher somewhere, it seems as if the other teams have no interest in picking up Burke.Gotcha. Catchers are always in short supply, so you never know. He seems to me to be a better fit than Gload (certainly more versatile), so they might try to find a way to keep him around.

jake27
05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
while i dont like seeing willie gone for a few games, its will be great having burke up. im going to the game thursday and wearing my burke jersey then will be even better.

bigfoot
05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
thoughts:

3.) "Beaverment" is a great word. :cool:

"Beaverment":(n) Organic adhesive compound used to bind materials in a beaver's lodge/dam. :wink::wink:
:supernana:

rmusacch
05-03-2005, 07:03 PM
IIRC, Lopez has to stay on the club for at least 10 days until he can be optioned again.

I don't think that is true. If a player is optioned to the minors, he has to stay there for a minimum of 10 days unless there is an injury.

rmusacch
05-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I know. That's not what I meant. I meant that he has done it once, hopefully he can do it again if we need him to. Unless someone has lost a backup catcher somewhere, it seems as if the other teams have no interest in picking up Burke.

Yeah not many teams, if any, have much interest in Burke.

rmusacch
05-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Burke actually makes a lot more sense to have on the bench than Gload. He can play 1B, 3B, C and he's a better OF than Gload. And he's a RH bat off the bench. The only thing is they now have nobody off the bench with any power, which limits your late-inning game strategy.

I don't get the love on these boards for Burke. He is a journeyman that has not done anything in the majors. Same for Gload. They are both end of the roster type of guys.

JB98
05-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Just looked at the story on the AP wire. Harris will not rejoin the team until May 9 in Tampa Bay. The Sox aren't commenting on why he's gone. That's a little strange. If somebody died, you'd figure the club would release a statement extending their sympathies.

Born SoxFan 1962
05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Channel 2 News sports segment just before the game said Willie Harris was on bereavement leave.

swanson24
05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Jamie Burke's impact on the club has always been a positive. Ozzie seems to love this guy because he doesn't get concerned with playing time or have any bit of an MLB player sized ego. I hope he gets a chance to help out the club on the field but his presence in the clubhouse and his enthusiasm are great for the team's chemistry.