PDA

View Full Version : Poll for one month into the season: Which manager gets sacked first?

Baby Fisk
05-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Let your inner GM out.

MUsoxfan
05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
It's a toss-up for me between Wedge and Manuel. Both teams with high expectations. Charlie Manuel can't make Thome hit a ball though

JRIG
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
It's a toss-up for me between Wedge and Manuel. Both teams with high expectations. Charlie Manuel can't make Thome hit a ball though

I can't imagine they'd fire Manuel since they just hired him before the season started. Though, stranger things have happened.

Wedge is safe because of what he did last year.

My favorites are Tony Pena and Lloyd McClendon.

jackbrohamer
05-03-2005, 12:38 PM
KC is hemmoraging and there's not much that they can do except fire Pena so he gets my call.

fquaye149
05-03-2005, 12:48 PM
you left out ned yost...a very real possibility in milwaukee

MUsoxfan
05-03-2005, 12:53 PM
you left out ned yost...a very real possibility in milwaukee

I don't think it's even a remote possiblity. The Brewers are sitting in 3rd place with a very real possibility of being in 2nd place and at or near .500 in a couple days.

DumpJerry
05-03-2005, 01:02 PM
McClendon has been on the bubble for a year now. If they don't catch fire in Steeltown, he's good as gone.

Rusty Dusty is safe for now because he is not the reason for the Flubs' record. Steve Stone is the reason.

doublem23
05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I would think probably Tony Pena. KC is no where near even being mediocre. They're terrible.

JRIG
05-03-2005, 01:13 PM
McClendon has been on the bubble for a year now. If they don't catch fire in Steeltown, he's good as gone.

Rusty Dusty is safe for now because he is not the reason for the Flubs' record. Steve Stone is the reason.

Don't you let Chip Caray off the hook for the Flubbie's struggles. Or last year's trainer. Or the media for asking Dusty tough questions. Or some sort of curse.

DumpJerry
05-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Don't you let Chip Caray off the hook for the Flubbie's struggles. Or last year's trainer. Or the media for asking Dusty tough questions. Or some sort of curse.
I was trying to save space on the WSI server.:D:

MRKARNO
05-03-2005, 02:32 PM
The Boss probably has a date circled on the calendar and if the yanks arent above .500 by then, then Torre is a goner. He has very little patience.

SOXintheBURGH
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM

We love Lloyd in the Burgh.. but honestly.. its time.

fquaye149
05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't think it's even a remote possiblity. The Brewers are sitting in 3rd place with a very real possibility of being in 2nd place and at or near .500 in a couple days.

And if you think they're going to stay there, you're crazy. Not to mention it's his last year anyway (see Davy Lopes).

I like the Brewers as much as the next man...but they are not a significantly better team then next year. Yost will be gone sometime. The question is when.

Uncle_Patrick
05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I think Pena will be fired for the reason someone else stated above. The Royals are beyond bad. Its hard to believe that prior to the start of the 2004 season, "experts" where predicting these guys would make a run at the division. Torre is 2nd on my list, though. Considering the playoffs last year and the slow start this year, if the Yankees don't turn it around, Torre will be S.O.L. with the Boss. McClenndon is on the list, too. The Pirates are terrible.

Dusty isn't going anywhere for now. Although there are a lot of critics, he's still got his supporters, too. Plus, the Cubs aren't terrible, just mediocre, and Dusty's supporters can always blame it on injuries.

Uncle_Patrick
05-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Also, I don't see Tampa Bay firing Pinella before his contract expires. He's a big name and the organization doesn't seem to be too preoccupied with even bothering to field a competitive team. I see Pinella quitting before I see him fired.

HomeFish
05-03-2005, 03:23 PM
A friend of mine who is a Cubs fan seems to be harboring the hope that Torre will be fired, allowing the Cubs to fire Baker and hire Joe. He seems to really think this will happen, and I haven't seen him this excited since Hee Seop Choi first came up.

I don't see that happening, though. Torre has been through a lot, and I think they will continue to stick with him. I mean, can you even imagine somebody else in that job? I can't.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 03:28 PM
A friend of mine who is a Cubs fan seems to be harboring the hope that Torre will be fired, allowing the Cubs to fire Baker and hire Joe. He seems to really think this will happen, and I haven't seen him this excited since Hee Seop Choi first came up.

I don't see that happening, though. Torre has been through a lot, and I think they will continue to stick with him. I mean, can you even imagine somebody else in that job? I can't.I'd say it's a lot more likely Torre will quit. Working for Steinbrenner has to get old after a while, and if he starts meddling in the team and publicly criticizing him, Joe may just get fed up and quit.

Baby Fisk
05-03-2005, 03:36 PM
I'd say it's a lot more likely Torre will quit. Working for Steinbrenner has to get old after a while, and if he starts meddling in the team and publicly criticizing him, Joe may just get fed up and quit.

I just got an e-mail from a Yankee friend of mine:

This time next year, Torre will be managing the Ottawa Lynx.

I luv the gallows humour. :cool:

samram
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I went with McClendon. That's a joke they have there in Pittsburgh. It's not really his fault, given the talent level, but that's how it goes.

As for who might deserve it, Dusty is right at the top. One can make a pretty solid argument that his handling of Wood and Prior in the 2003 playoffs has led to their problems this year. I also don't think he's completely blameless for the Chad Fox thing.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 04:50 PM
I'll go with Crusty. Most of those other guys aren't underachieving...they don't have teams to begin with. IIRC, this is the last year on Baker's contract, so I figure he's outta here before he does any more damage.

samram
05-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I'll go with Crusty. Most of those other guys aren't underachieving...they don't have teams to begin with. IIRC, this is the last year on Baker's contract, so I figure he's outta here before he does any more damage.

I doubt he'll come back anyhow. There are those reports that he isn't happy in Chicago. I certainly can't imagine the Cubs really want him back.

Uncle_Patrick
05-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I doubt he'll come back anyhow. There are those reports that he isn't happy in Chicago. I certainly can't imagine the Cubs really want him back.

Poor Dusty, Chicago exposed him for what he is: a lousy manager. Players like playing for him because he gives them free reign in the clubhouse, but that's all he's got. He got lucky in San Fran and in 2003 because he had good teams, but he wasn't smart enough as a manager to win the big prize. He'll probably get scooped up by another team quickly because there are so many delusional folks out there who think he can make their team win, but his lustre is fading.

Of course, once he's gone we can probably look forward to another article out of San Francisco about what a racist town Chicago is.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-03-2005, 06:56 PM
I went with McClendon, but it would be great if Baker went. He has ruined that staff, or at the very least, not taken either guy to task for poor mechanics. What happened last season was a joke. It was the announcer's fault?

jortafan
05-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Ozzie Guillen.

He's foul mouthed, doesn't know how to manage a pitching staff, ...

Oops. Sorry. I slipped into a Jay Mariotti impersonation.

Seriously, my money's on McClendon.

Stroker Ace
05-03-2005, 09:39 PM
If the Yanks keep losing, it wouldn't surprise me if Torre resigns.

thepaulbowski
05-04-2005, 07:14 AM

Didn't Wedge just sign an extension?

thepaulbowski
05-04-2005, 07:15 AM
I went with McClendon. That's a joke they have there in Pittsburgh. It's not really his fault, given the talent level, but that's how it goes.

As for who might deserve it, Dusty is right at the top. One can make a pretty solid argument that his handling of Wood and Prior in the 2003 playoffs has led to their problems this year. I also don't think he's completely blameless for the Chad Fox thing.

McClendon is as good as gone. Pittsburgh should be a .500 baseball team, they aren't as bad as their record shows.

elrod
05-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Dave Miley is going to be under the hot seat after that meltdown against St. Louis. Obviously one game doesn't do it (except in the playoffs), but the Reds have just collapsed after a strong start against the Mets. Something is wrong with a team that strikes out that much. They need an attitude adjustment in Porkopolis.

wdelaney72
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
This is only Dusty's third season. I thought I remember him getting a 5 year deal. I think he's safe until the all-star braek of his 4th season.

Alan Trammall may be an option, since the Tigers were supposed to be so good this year.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
McClendon is as good as gone. Pittsburgh should be a .500 baseball team, they aren't as bad as their record shows.

:o: A .500 team in triple A, maybe. My brother's a long-time Bucs fan, so I have a soft spot for them follow them from a distance. What a sorry mess that franchise is. Very little McClendon can do with that lineup than what he has, but as we all know the manager is usually the one who is marched to the guillotine none the less.

Flames24Rulz
05-04-2005, 06:07 PM
i voted Baker, but i know hes not going to get fired...Hendry won't fire Dusty anytime soon.

in all honesty, i think its going to be Torre. Another under .500 month will get him the axe.

Jjav829
05-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, I said McClendon last year and that didn't work. So I'm going back to him again. Don't disappoint me this time, Lloyd. :smile:

samram
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, I said McClendon last year and that didn't work. So I'm going back to him again. Don't disappoint me this time, Lloyd. :smile:

He's trying his hardest!

buehrle4cy05
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
No doubt it's McClendon. The Cubs would have to fall really far, where the ego would already be ruined to fire Baker.

swanson24
05-09-2005, 06:29 PM
McClendon and Pena seem like the two best choices because they have been losing for the longest amount of time. I don't believe Dusty will get fired this yeardespite the poor start. I think the Cubs brass will grant him one more year before they fire him. If he struggles out of the gates in 2006 then all I have to say to Dusty is, "HE GONE!"