PDA

View Full Version : 101 Question

LVSoxFan
05-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Okay one of the values of this board is as a resource, so why not ask something that's been nagging me for a while?

At the Detroit games, sitting behind our dugout, I noticed Tim Raines has a stopwatch. Now I see he has it all the time. What is he doing with that?

And here's a second one. At The Cell on Sunday, I noticed as I have before that to the right and left of the batter's box are two dirt circles which look like on-deck circles. However, they're waaaaay to close to the action to ever actually be that--so why are they there? Is it some kind of aesthetic thing?

SoxFan48
05-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Tim Raines is timing the move of the pitcher to the plate with runners on base. This is incredibly important info when it comes to determining which pitchers are the easiest to run on.

MUsoxfan
05-03-2005, 12:18 PM
At the Detroit games, sitting behind our dugout, I noticed Tim Raines has a stopwatch. Now I see he has it all the time. What is he doing with that?

I can only imagine that he's timing opposing runners times on the basepath.

And here's a second one. At The Cell on Sunday, I noticed as I have before that to the right and left of the batter's box are two dirt circles which look like on-deck circles. However, they're waaaaay to close to the action to ever actually be that--so why are they there? Is it some kind of asthetic thing?

I don't know for sure, but probably for decoration

I also could be wrong on both counts:redneck

FRANK FORT
05-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I always thought the two circles were for infield fungo practice.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2005, 12:19 PM
And here's a second one. At The Cell on Sunday, I noticed as I have before that to the right and left of the batter's box are two dirt circles which look like on-deck circles. However, they're waaaaay to close to the action to ever actually be that--so why are they there? Is it some kind of asthetic thing?

I've heard the dirt circles are where coaches stand when batting balls to infielders during BP.

Tekijawa
05-03-2005, 12:20 PM
I always thought the two circles were for infield fungo practice.

BINGO! That's where they hit the balls from for the outfielders... This way the grass doesn't get worn out...

mweflen
05-03-2005, 12:21 PM
you can see the fungo circles in use during both teams' BP. coaches hit grounders to fielders. instead of killing the grass, most teams just put a dirt circle there.

Chez
05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
And here's a second one. At The Cell on Sunday, I noticed as I have before that to the right and left of the batter's box are two dirt circles which look like on-deck circles. However, they're waaaaay to close to the action to ever actually be that--so why are they there? Is it some kind of asthetic thing?[/QUOTE]

I believe those circles are used for infield practice before the games. A coach will stand in the circles (avoids wear and tear on the grass) and hit groundballs to infielders. You will frequently see two coaches (one in each circle) hitting groundballs to each side of the infield at the same time.

LVSoxFan
05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys! I knew you'd come through!

itsnotrequired
05-03-2005, 12:24 PM
BINGO! That's where they hit the balls from for the outfielders... This way the grass doesn't get worn out...

Don't most stadiums cover these circles (along with the rest of the area around home plate) with tarps during BP? Coaches still stand in roughly the same spot as the circles but with a tarp down, I suppose it could be argued that the circles are there for throwback purposes.

See thiese images for details:

http://jeffjudge.com/albums/chicago/wrigley_field.sized.jpg

http://www.honors.tntech.edu/~rwebb/images/Pictures/Chicago%20Summer%202003/WrigleyField_BattingPractic.jpg

Knockoutinthepar
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
to the right and left of the batter's box are two dirt circles which look like on-deck circles.

Greco-roman Wrestling Night, sponsored by Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Creme.

Fungo
05-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Okay one of the values of this board is as a resource, so why not ask something that's been nagging me for a while?

And here's a second one. At The Cell on Sunday, I noticed as I have before that to the right and left of the batter's box are two dirt circles which look like on-deck circles. However, they're waaaaay to close to the action to ever actually be that--so why are they there? Is it some kind of aesthetic thing?fungos to the infielders during batting practice

Tekijawa
05-03-2005, 01:08 PM
fungos to the infielders during batting practice

To practice for Konerko's Towering Pop ups to the 2nd Baseman durring the game with men in scoring position!

ChicagoHoosier
05-03-2005, 04:05 PM
See thiese images for details:

http://jeffjudge.com/albums/chicago/wrigley_field.sized.jpg

http://www.honors.tntech.edu/~rwebb/images/Pictures/Chicago%20Summer%202003/WrigleyField_BattingPractic.jpg

Could you at least have put a pic of the Cell as an example, rather than Wrigley?

kevingrt
05-03-2005, 04:20 PM

They should use them during games.