PDA

View Full Version : Jon G. Bandwagon...Who is with me?

pythons007
05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I just wanted to make a post on how well Jon Garland has started the season. I'm a fairly new member to this site and I've noticed that no one really backs Jon at all. This is his 6th year in the bigs and 3rd as a full time starter. The past 3 years Jon has posted 12 wins and a mid 4 era which isn't all that bad. I think he is still learning at this point (he is only 25) and is starting to come around to meet his full potential. If you compare him to Johan Santana, they both came in the same year (2000) however Johan was eased into the starter role only having 1 year as a full time starter. Now I'm not comparing the two, what I am trying to say is does anyone think Jon would have been a more sucessful pitcher if he would have come in the same way? Now that the Sox have a full staff and Jon has some pressure off his shoulders as the #5 he is proforming like an ace. Does anyone feel he is capable of winning 20 games this year and making the all-star game? I'm officially starting a Jon Garland Bandwagon thread and everyone is welcome to join.

:supernana:

jmoney
05-03-2005, 01:24 PM
i'm all about it, let's go jonny

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I just wanted to make a post on how well Jon Garland has started the season. I'm a fairly new member to this site and I've noticed that no one really backs Jon at all. This is his 6th year in the bigs and 3rd as a full time starter. The past 3 years Jon has posted 12 wins and a mid 4 era which isn't all that bad. I think he is still learning at this point (he is only 25) and is starting to come around to meet his full potential. If you compare him to Johan Santana, they both came in the same year (2000) however Johan was eased into the starter role only having 1 year as a full time starter. Now I'm not comparing the two, what I am trying to say is does anyone think Jon would have been a more sucessful pitcher if he would have come in the same way? Now that the Sox have a full staff and Jon has some pressure off his shoulders as the #5 he is proforming like an ace. Does anyone feel he is capable of winning 20 games this year and making the all-star game? I'm officially starting a Jon Garland Bandwagon thread and everyone is welcome to join.

:supernana:

If he keeps pitching like this all season he'll easily win 20 games. He's already a quarter of the way there and it's only May! I'm not a huge Garland follower but from reading these boards I think he's finally turning into what everyone thought he would, which is obviously a beast on the bump. Hopefully this start will give him the confidence he needs to continue pitching well. We don't need a complete game shutout from him every time, just a quality start, and I think he's definitely in a position right now to go out and do it every time he starts. So here's to JG!:gulp:

VivaOzzie
05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Im on the wagon for sure. The last 2 games, his stuff has been absolutely filthy. And I love the look on his face all the time now, hes just like, "Yeah, thats right." :cool:

34 Inch Stick
05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd love to get on the bandwagon, but I am sure just as soon as he is good, he will leave (same with Crede).

pythons007
05-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't know if this is a contract year or not, but I think if he proves himself this year the Sox will sign him for a couple years. You can't go wrong with good young pitching.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 03:40 PM
His performance this year isn't really surprising. His problem has always been one bad inning. He's getting his pitches down, and no one is parking his change over the fence, like they did last year. I think it's mostly maturity and the receivers.

I remember he went into the 7th with a perfect game last year, just like he did this year. I think he will pitch one eventually.