PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay

SaltyPretzel
05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
I going to the games next Monday and Tuesday in Tampa Bay. I was wondering if there's anything to do around Tropicana Field. Anyone else going?

mweflen
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/merron/ballparks/tropicana.html

may give you some info, FWIW.

tlebar318
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I going to the games next Monday and Tuesday in Tampa Bay. I was wondering if there's anything to do around Tropicana Field. Anyone else going?

I will be there as well and there is a cool little bar just outside the stadium called Ferg's that at least when I have been there before had live music at night after the game. If you are willing to travel a few miles toward the bay there is a place called The Pier that has a multi-level shopping/entertainment center where on the 3rd floor there is a bar with outdoor seating where you can take in the ocean view. There is another place in that area as well that I think has a Dan Marino's tavern if my memory serves me correctly. Also inside the stadium in center field is a restaurant and bar that serves a buffet and it is fun to watch BP from....Anyhow, should be a good time. Go Sox!:D:

G-Ville Sox
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I will also be attending the Monday and Tuesday games, and I agree...the Pier is really the hot spot. The bar/restaurant on the top floor is a neat place. That whole strip along the ocean/bay (whatever it is) is fun at night. That area is a little more than a mile walk to the stadium I want to say. See you all at the juice box....Go Sox

:gulp:

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
I going to the games next Monday and Tuesday in Tampa Bay. I was wondering if there's anything to do around Tropicana Field.No but say hi to Wilsy if you get the chance.

irish rover
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
not sure if St. Pete has much but Ybor City is the best place to hang out in Tampa IMHO

BlackAndWhite
05-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Can't say much about the surrounding area, but try to get a chance to meet Raymond, the TB mascot. He is a riot --- very much in the grand tradition of the Phillie Phanatic.

P.S.: If this is your first time there, you may rethink the position that the Metrodome is the worst stadium in MLB.

Lizard
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM

I'll be there with about five other people. I'll be the only one in the group cheering for the Rays.
Definitely visit Ferg's.

AZChiSoxFan
05-03-2005, 01:02 PM

I won't be attending, but do offer some advice: When you're at the games, please try to speak quietly, so as not to disturb the 1,000 D-Rays fans who will be there with you.

duke of dorwood
05-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Definatly the pier-have added some really good shops to the lounge and restaurant area. Dont miss it

cubsuck
05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Fellas....

Where are you all staying while you're down here?

If you're in Tampa...once the game is over, head on over to Ferg's, and then I'd suggest goin' back over the bridge to Tampa. The sidewalks roll-up pretty early on that side of the bay.

Channelside...that's the place to be! Hooters, Howl at the Moon, tons of stuff to do...if you're in the market to get mugged...you can ride the trolley to Ybor City!

Plus, you'll at least get to drive by the place the Stanley Cup was won at!

Go Lightning!

By the way...if you've never been to the TROP...get ready for an eye opening experience...100% Bunk. As mentioned before...don't cheer too loud, or you'll be asked to leave...HONEST! It happened to my friend last year.

NDSox12
05-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I will be at the game on Monday night as well. I'm doing a baseball trip starting this Thursday... going to Atlanta on Friday night, Florida (Miami) on Sunday, Tampa on Monday and then hopefully Charlotte for the Knights game on Tuesday before returning to DC. Should be fun, even though most of my friends think I'm crazy!

I might have time to hang out in Tampa before the game, but I'll be hittin' the road afterwards.

nccwsfan
05-03-2005, 08:26 PM

The best (and closest) place to go outside of the Trop is Ferg's. 10 blocks south you'll find a number of restaurants/bars by the waterfront. The more active nightlife can be found in Tampa, but if you're looking for a place to mingle with some baseball fans try Ferg's.

Have fun!

soxfanreggie
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I would say I'm a pro at going to games at the Tropicana Dome. I am lucky enough to be young Sox fan with parents retired in Sarasota (I'm still sad the Sox moved Spring Training from there), and I have been going to games there since the D-Rays started playing. It's a stadium that seems to half half Rays fans and half fans for the other team. Most of the ushers are very nice and rarely check where you need to be...except for the guy in the 1st row of the outfield. He seems like he'd have you arrested if you sit in that 1st row. There really isn't much around the stadium but parking is nice. The players usually sign (from both teams) and easy access to get up and close to the players before.

It's usually cheap to get tickets, a lot of people are season ticket holders and can't wait to get rid of them, even for half the value or less.

Enjoy going to a different park and most of all being able to see the Sox...the air conditioning can be exceptionally nice in the hot weather.

havelj
05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Mons Venus. :thumbsup:

:britney:crossdresser :messica

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 11:34 PM

I was there last year for the first game of the series. Unfortunately, I made plans to go to dad's condo (in Largo) this weekend before the schedule came out. My plane leaves at 8:00 Monday night. :(:

If you like seafood, you HAVE to go to PJ's in Indian Rocks (on that little isle along the Gulf). Great low-key atmosphere and the food is excellent (and not expensive). Get the Chicago style oysters for an appetizer. :wink:

Bump34
05-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Looking forward to seeing some of you next week... Ferg's is a good place to stop by before and after the ballgame... and I am more than likely going to stop by for a few cold ones after Monday and Tuesday's games...

Everyone is talking about the Pier... I have not been there yet... but The Baywalk is where Marino's place is and there are a couple of other places right around there that are nice places to visit before or after the game too... Try Moon under Bay... think that's the name of it... its a neat place for lunch... just down the street from the Vinoy where the team stays... and there is another place along the water... Fresco's??? that is nice too...

I agree with Cubsuck... I would stay away from Ybor City... haven't heard too many great things about that area while I have been here... Channelside is much better and also an area called Hyde Park although I haven't been there yet...

PJ's is a good place too... and if you're near Clearwater Beach... try Frenchie's... its right on the sand...

Also the team does a pre and post game show from the Budwesier Brew House in Centerfield Street... and after the game they have been doing a "Happy Hour" where large drafts are just $4.00...

Finally maybe it's just my nature to protect my team/ballpark...but you can make some noise at Tropicana Field... and while I am on the subject of ballparks and fans... VERY, VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED with the turnout at U.S. Cellular last night... and so was John Kruk...

See some of you next week!!!

Corkinator
05-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Ferg's is the sports bar next to the stadium that you have to hit before the game. It rocks afterward too, but if you want to make a night of it, cross the bay and go to Channelside. Ybor is pretty dead on Monday and Tuesday nights, but is a better bet than anything going in St Pete. I hope to be at all 3 games. This is my Sox fix every year. May make the trip up north back to God's country this summer, though!

:supernana:

tlebar318
05-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Ferg's is the sports bar next to the stadium that you have to hit before the game. It rocks afterward too, but if you want to make a night of it, cross the bay and go to Channelside. Ybor is pretty dead on Monday and Tuesday nights, but is a better bet than anything going in St Pete. I hope to be at all 3 games. This is my Sox fix every year. May make the trip up north back to God's country this summer, though!

:supernana:

Going to be at Ferg's before the game on Monday and Tuesday--how about afterwards? Do you know if they still have live music there even if it is during the week? Don't want to drive after the brews at the game--taking a cab back to the hotel in St. Pete...