PDA

View Full Version : What happens ???

misty60481
05-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I am all for the new drug testing policy,, and agree that the penalties should be severe.. But what happens if a lot of the big stars are tested positive,, will that affect attendance.. If we had this policy 15 yrs. ago there would have been no McGuire, Sosa, Giambi, Scheffield.. Remember our younger bunch of fans are use to seeing high scoring exciting games,,with home run leaders hitting 50 - 60 a year.. Now if you start taking away the offensive game it will be a drag to watch.. Remember in the last few years other sports--soccer, stock car racing,--which are fast paced and create a lot of excitement are getting a lot of fans..
I am not talking about the diehard baseball fans but more about the not as informed fan--which there are plenty,, will they be as enthused about a big league baseball game.
I have been a baseball fan 60 years so I go with the tide,, but we have got to keep the younger bunch interested...

samram
05-03-2005, 09:41 AM
I think if games become more pitching dominated, shortening the length of games and making stolen bases and hit-and-runs more prevalent, the game will be more exciting and fast-paced, so that may not be an issue. Also, smaller parks will prevent a huge fall off in the number of homeruns hit.

voodoochile
05-03-2005, 09:47 AM
soccer - where the game regularly ends in a 1-0 score and the main highlight is watching the team pass the ball backwards in an attempt to eventually go forward - and stock car racing - nice speed, but the hot action happens 5 times a race when the guy in second passes the guy in first and then they continue to drive in circles for the next few hours - are exciting?:?:

TheOldRoman
05-03-2005, 10:08 AM
soccer - where the game regularly ends in a 1-0 score and the main highlight is watching the team pass the ball backwards in an attempt to eventually go forward - and stock car racing - nice speed, but the hot action happens 5 times a race when the guy in second passes the guy in first and then they continue to drive in circles for the next few hours - are exciting?:?:
Yeah, and who in the world said soccer is gaining popularity in the US?
Besides that, I wouldnt call soccer "fast paced". I understand they are almost constantly running, but they are running back and forth over this MASSIVE field and the ball barely ever moves.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Yeah, and who in the world said soccer is gaining popularity in the US?
Besides that, I wouldnt call soccer "fast paced". I understand they are almost constantly running, but they are running back and forth over this MASSIVE field and the ball barely ever moves.Every 15 minutes when there is no scoring they should throw another ball onto the field.

daveeym
05-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Every 15 minutes when there is no scoring they should throw another ball onto the field.AWESOME, best soccer suggestion I've ever seen. Make it like pinball bonus balls.

jackbrohamer
05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't think anyone has ever shown that the great home run chase of 1998 had any impact on attendance. That's Selig's and the media's spin point, and it certainly got a huge amount of media coverage, but I've never seen numbers suggesting that attendance during/after the season was significantly different than before. Selig's claims that the HRs "saved baseball" or whatever are idiotic.

misty60481
05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I am not talking about watching soccer,, I remember about 10 years ago nobody played soccer, now they have at least 3 or 4 teams in our little town. Some of the kids are playing soccer instead of little league baseball because the schedules wont allow to play both.. As far as stock car racing,, you might be surprised on a Sun.. afternoon how many are watching the race instead of a ball game.. I am trying to say It used to be everybody played baseball in the summer,, now other sports are marketing themselves into the younger generation to where baseball isnt the only thing happening..