PDA

View Full Version : Will Ordonez' disappearing act haunt Boras?

A. Cavatica
05-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Maybe this should all be in deep pink, but it seems to me that Ordonez could not have gotten a big contract from the Tigers without Boras' proclamations that he's completely healthy. You expect a player who has a (possible) career-ending injury just before his big payday to try to cover it up, but you don't expect an agent to be so blatantly dishonest. What goes around comes around, and I think Boras has blown whatever credibility he may have had around the league. At least, I hope so.

A. Cavatica
05-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I should add that I am now in complete support of JR's embargo on business dealings with Boras...even if it means letting the Comet go to free agency.

munchman33
05-03-2005, 09:16 AM
While I hate the scumbag and am glad we don't deal with him, I don't think the Ordonez thing changes anything. He still represents the top players in the game. As long as there are reckless, free-spending moron owners out there (and there always will be), Boras will be around.

gosox41
05-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Maybe this should all be in deep pink, but it seems to me that Ordonez could not have gotten a big contract from the Tigers without Boras' proclamations that he's completely healthy. You expect a player who has a (possible) career-ending injury just before his big payday to try to cover it up, but you don't expect an agent to be so blatantly dishonest. What goes around comes around, and I think Boras has blown whatever credibility he may have had around the league. At least, I hope so.

I hope so too. But I doubt it will haunt Boras. There's too many stupid owners that get suckered into Magglio Ordonez or a-Rod or Kevin Brown or Chan Ho Park like contracts where they're basically negotiating against themselves.

Bob

Flight #24
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
1 - there is no "embargo" against Boras clients. As stated numerous times by both KW and JR, it's merely a situation where they set their value on a player and stick to it. If anything it's an issue on Boras' side where they just won't play his "oh yeah, another offer just came in 50% higher from an unnamed team" type of games.

2 - There are 2 types of owners: Stupid and smart. Smart owners didn't really believe Boras anyway, this merely reinforces their decision. Stupid owners believed him, and by nature, they'll continue to do so. (OK, maybe there's only 1 type of owner, the stupid kind......)

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I should add that I am now in complete support of JR's embargo on business dealings with Boras...even if it means letting the Comet go to free agency.How long is this fallacy going to persist? JR does not and has never refused to deal with Boras. If you recall the C&S interview, what he said was that he would not rely on information provided by any agent. It's like buying a used car. If you buy it relying on information provided by the seller, you're a fool. You have to rely on your own information and value for that player. If you recall, KW said last winter that it was not a matter of not dealing with Boras, but that Boras had a higher opinion of his clients' value than Kenny did and so there was nothing to talk about.

A. Cavatica
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
I hope so too. But I doubt it will haunt Boras. There's too many stupid owners that get suckered into Magglio Ordonez or a-Rod or Kevin Brown or Chan Ho Park like contracts where they're basically negotiating against themselves.

Those were basically healthy players and the teams were victims of their own bad negotiating. I didn't perceive Boras to be deceitful in these instances, just (legitimately) going after top dollar.

The Ordonez case smells different. He's seriously injured, they knew he was seriously injured, and they defrauded the Tigers.

As to whether JR will or won't deal with Boras, I don't really believe his statements. There's clearly distrust and dislike between the two. I used to think JR was cutting off his nose to spite his face, but after seeing what happened with Magglio I wouldn't blame JR one bit for refusing to deal with Boras again.

Tekijawa
05-03-2005, 11:10 AM
said at the begining of the bidding wars last year that Boras had all the top FA and that this would probably be a blow out party and a cash grab, I don't know if he represents any big ones this year but I'm sure he's happy with the large pile of money he's sitting on at home right now

SoxSpeed22
05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
said at the begining of the bidding wars last year that Boras had all the top FA and that this would probably be a blow out party and a cash grab, I don't know if he represents any big ones this year but I'm sure he's happy with the large pile of money he's sitting on at home right nowThe bidding wars resulted in about $1 Billion worth of $$ given to free agents. I applaud JR and KW for not spending ridiculous amounts of cash an average to good players. Instead, they were smart about spending, trading Lee to clear salary and signing Pierzynski, Hermanson, Iguchi and Dye for reasonable amounts.

Flight #24
05-03-2005, 12:03 PM
The bidding wars resulted in about $1 Billion worth of $$ given to free agents. I applaud JR and KW for not spending ridiculous amounts of cash an average to good players. Instead, they were smart about spending, trading Lee to clear salary and signing Pierzynski, Hermanson, Iguchi and Dye for reasonable amounts.

This is off topic, but IMO the Sox and Bulls are following the "patriots" model quite successfully. Rather than paying a few superstars and necessarily having other areas filled with minimum salaried question marks, you go out and fill every position with solid but not spectacular, high character, team-first guys. It's harder to make it work in baseball, but IMO it may be a model that you see other teams start to follow. It's similar to the model employed by the Twins, except rather than bringing guys from within, it focuses more on external acquisitions of players that are good but not great, and therefore "under the radar".

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I should add that I am now in complete support of JR's embargo on business dealings with Boras...even if it means letting the Comet go to free agency.I just can't keep up with the nicknames. Who is "the Comet?"

MUsoxfan
05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I just can't keep up with the nicknames. Who is "the Comet?"

I'm glad you asked. I was about to do the same. I guess maybe it's Uribe as he's a Boras client.

Flight #24
05-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm glad you asked. I was about to do the same. I guess maybe it's Uribe as he's a Boras client.

Joe Crede. I think there's something around his high school mascot or nickname or something being "the Comets"

MUsoxfan
05-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Joe Crede. I think there's something around his high school mascot or nickname or something being "the Comets"

Oh:?: Thanks...

A. Cavatica
05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Guess you missed the thread on "Joe Crede needs a nickname"...it's supposed to be partly tongue in cheek, but I'm not sure if it's 10% or 90%.
:smile:

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Joe Crede. I think there's something around his high school mascot or nickname or something being "the Comets"Don't forget the photo:

http://www.lastchanceminiatures.com/mares/comet.jpg

DumpJerry
05-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Maggs will not be the swansong for Borassss. As long as owners are willing to negotiate with him, he will live. I am curious as to when Maggs, Borassss or anyone else became aware of the hernia problem. This never came up until the season started. It may be possible that Borassss did not know about it when Maggs was signed.

However, if the World Series is between the White Sox and Diamonbacks, Borasss will be sweating bullets. This is because the Sox and Diamonbacks pursued the same strategy in the off-season of dumping high salaries so sign several solid, but not spectacular, players who make up great team chemistry and can back each other up when injuries strike. In addition, the early season returns on the Yankees are further showing the world that you cannot cure a baseball problem by throwing money at it. Not only are the Yanks full of holes, they don't have any prospects to trade to fill those holes. They can't trade the big $$ guys because they don't have anyone to replace them (I am assuming there is some limit to The Boss's wallet).

The Twins are another team that follows the model the Sox and D-Backs are using. They have used it for several years and have several titles to show for it.

I have always said on here that signing big name FA's is a waste of time and money because you are paying huge $$ for past performance and most of the time you're catching a falling star.