PDA

View Full Version : April matters...except for the Sox?

halfpricemonday
05-03-2005, 12:31 AM
So I noticed this article on espn.com (yeah, I know, it's espn, but bear with me), and I assumed from the headline "April matters" that this could be the one article that validates our fast start.

You know, stuff about how games in April matter the same as the games in September, and teams who built up a nice record in the early months make it to the postseason. Basically, all the good stuff that flies in the face of the conventional wisdom of "baseball is a marathon, not a sprint," "it's only April," "there's still a lot of games to be played," etc, etc.

Of course, I'm amazed that an entire article dedicated to how April matters manages to put our best start in franchise history in a less-than-flattering light:
The White Sox, for example, piled up a .708 winning percentage this April (at 17-7). But they ought to know that two of the last four teams to top .700 in April (the 2003 Royals and 2001 Twins) failed to make the playoffs. And dating all the way back to 1982, one of every three teams like that (nine of 27) failed to make it.
The Yankees, with their stellar 11-15 record, gets more ink than the Sox (yeah, I know, what else is new), but at least it's not an article about how the Yanks will be the one team to prove the numbers wrong. Looking at the stats, the odds are definitely not in the Yanks favor.

All in all, I guess it's a reasonably fair (if somewhat obvious) article, although I would have liked to see more credit given to the Sox, considering what they've accomplished and all the low expectations they had from the national media coming into the season.

Either way, if you hear a Flubs/Twins fan with his "It's only April...wait until we're healthy/back from our 10 game suspension" talk, straighten him or her out. April matters!

Iwritecode
05-03-2005, 01:14 PM
So I noticed this article on espn.com (yeah, I know, it's espn, but bear with me), and I assumed from the headline "April matters" that this could be the one article that validates our fast start.

You know, stuff about how games in April matter the same as the games in September, and teams who built up a nice record in the early months make it to the postseason. Basically, all the good stuff that flies in the face of the conventional wisdom of "baseball is a marathon, not a sprint," "it's only April," "there's still a lot of games to be played," etc, etc.

Of course, I'm amazed that an entire article dedicated to how April matters manages to put our best start in franchise history in a less-than-flattering light:

The Yankees, with their stellar 11-15 record, gets more ink than the Sox (yeah, I know, what else is new), but at least it's not an article about how the Yanks will be the one team to prove the numbers wrong. Looking at the stats, the odds are definitely not in the Yanks favor.

All in all, I guess it's a reasonably fair (if somewhat obvious) article, although I would have liked to see more credit given to the Sox, considering what they've accomplished and all the low expectations they had from the national media coming into the season.

Either way, if you hear a Flubs/Twins fan with his "It's only April...wait until we're healthy/back from our 10 game suspension" talk, straighten him or her out. April matters!

So in other words we have about a 67% chance of making the playoffs. :D:

They must have missed the stat shown on BBTN were the past 4 teams to have a lead in their first 25? games went on to the WS... :redneck