PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Everyone Hate the Sox (not media related)

seanpmurphy
05-02-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm more than used to Cubs fans getting in my face about how the Sox are garbage with the best pitcher and best record in the league, but tonight a Cardinals fan was telling me about how the Sox will sputter out, and how his team is so much better and has more tradition than the Sox. Is it me or is there a jealousy bug going around the entire country over how great the Sox are doing?

I just told him to quit crying and have a beer. It will wash the taste of Boston's brooms out of his mouth ;)

Jurr
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
It probably makes it easier to cope with the fact that your team sucks to tell a Sox fan that "it's only April"...pretty lame.

samram
05-03-2005, 12:03 AM
I don't hate the Sox, so obviously it's not everybody. If someone does, the hell with them.

JB98
05-03-2005, 12:06 AM
It probably makes it easier to cope with the fact that your team sucks to tell a Sox fan that "it's only April"...pretty lame.

Well, the Cardinals don't suck, so I don't know why they would be jealous of the Sox early-season success. If anything, you'd think the St. Louis fans would be our allies. Neither of us like the Cubs.

elrod
05-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Well, the Cardinals don't suck, so I don't know why they would be jealous of the Sox early-season success. If anything, you'd think the St. Louis fans would be our allies. Neither of us like the Cubs.

Most Cardinal fans I talk to do like the White Sox. They hate the Cubs and they hate the Royals. What better AL team to pull for than the White Sox?

HomeFish
05-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I guess its just a case of "my team is better than every other team" mentality; you will be disdainful of other teams even if you have no real reason to be so, and will want to flaunt your superiority over them even if the two are not really competitors.

HomeFish
05-03-2005, 01:55 AM

I've heard tales of St. Louis fans applauding a White Sox lead during an out-of-town score check inbetween innings on the big screen at Busch during a Cards/Cubs game, so this seems to be something that does happen.

That said, I've had two bad experiences with Cards fans: once, I tried to heckle an umpire at Busch, and, well, I got evil looks (St. Louis fans seem to be the sit-or-clap variety -- my behavior was far too bad-boy-esque for them, it seemed) and once, while watching the 2004 WS in a Cardinals shirt, I got bitched out by some girl for being a bandwagoner -- apparently people from outside of St. Louis are not allowed to cheer for the Cardinals in the postseason. I explained to her that I had actually been to a few Cards games that year and that the shirt was actually purchased at Busch stadium, and she seemed to back off, but still seemed to hate me.

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 02:04 AM
while watching the 2004 WS in a Cardinals shirt, I got bitched out by some girl for being a bandwagoner -- apparently people from outside of St. Louis are not allowed to cheer for the Cardinals in the postseason. I explained to her that I had actually been to a few Cards games that year and that the shirt was actually purchased at Busch stadium, and she seemed to back off, but still seemed to hate me.

Give her a Southside Salute and throw your beer at her! Haha.

Yeah who knows, maybe this kid is just jealous or something that even less people on this campus like the Cardinals than they do Sox...Still, the kid should be going after the Cubs fans. Especially the ones who still don't believe me when I say Harry Carey started with the Sox. Ugh.

OKCidiot
05-03-2005, 02:50 AM
I've had two bad experiences with Cards fans: once, I tried to heckle an umpire at Busch, and, well, I got evil looks (St. Louis fans seem to be the sit-or-clap variety -- my behavior was far too bad-boy-esque for them, it seemed) and once, while watching the 2004 WS in a Cardinals shirt, I got bitched out by some girl for being a bandwagoner -- apparently people from outside of St. Louis are not allowed to cheer for the Cardinals in the postseason. I explained to her that I had actually been to a few Cards games that year and that the shirt was actually purchased at Busch stadium, and she seemed to back off, but still seemed to hate me.

Your first example sounds like something I remember from a Dodgers game I attended in September, 1995. They had called up Mike Busch, a replacement player during the 1994 strike, and Brett Butler made this guy's life a living hell because he was a "scab". It pretty much became a media circus in Los Angeles, and before the game they played a video on the scoreboard where Butler went through the motions with a lame-ass apology to Busch. Funny thing was, with everyone still pretty much in disgust over the strike, Butler was getting booed mercilessly by the crowd (myself included). As the game went on, I continued booing Butler evey chance I got (as did a lot of people at Dodger Stadium), when some wise-ass behind me told me to "give the guy a break already!" I turned around and told this guy "Butler doesn't know how easy he has it here. He'd better be grateful he's not in Chicago... we'd chew him up and spit him out! And in Philadelphia, they'd find where he lived and throw eggs at his house." That pretty much shut him up and I went on with my taunting of Butler. The upshot of this is that Busch was applauded every at-bat and defensive play, and when he got his first Major League hit late in the game, he got a standing ovation.

MIgrenade
05-03-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm more than used to Cubs fans getting in my face about how the Sox are garbage with the best pitcher and best record in the league, but tonight a Cardinals fan was telling me about how the Sox will sputter out, and how his team is so much better and has more tradition than the Sox. Is it me or is there a jealousy bug going around the entire country over how great the Sox are doing?

I just told him to quit crying and have a beer. It will wash the taste of Boston's brooms out of his mouth ;)

Only a couple hours ago I was at a bar and some Cubs fan told me the Sox would not last because "it's the Sox." Tradition says I have to agree but reality tells me different...

doublem23
05-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Give her a Southside Salute and throw your beer at her! Haha.

Yeah who knows, maybe this kid is just jealous or something that even less people on this campus like the Cardinals than they do Sox...Still, the kid should be going after the Cubs fans. Especially the ones who still don't believe me when I say Harry Carey started with the Sox. Ugh.

Harry Carey started with the Cardinals.

OKCidiot
05-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Harry Caray started with the Cardinals.

He also did a season with the Oakland A's before coming to the Sox in '71.

TheOldRoman
05-03-2005, 04:11 AM

It could be just one bad apple. The Cardinals fans I have met are generally more astute than the guy you desrcibed. I think there is another all too likely possibility- this guy was a Cubs "fan".
He was probably a "life long" Cubs fan since 2003 or possibly as far back as 1998. He got on the bandwagon, and was told to hate the White Sox. Now that the Cubs are on their way to another 90 loss season, he needed to jump ship. He took the "tradition" arguement with him. It doesnt matter that he recently booed the Cards like they beat up his mother - he needs a new bandwagon to jump on. And what better bandwagon than the reigning NL champions.
I have encountered more than a few central Illinois Cubs "fans" who have been decked out in Cards gear. A White Sox fan would never be caught dead in a Twins or Indians hat, but we actually care about the games. Cubs fans boo the Cards without understanding why, because they are told to (I have heard a Cubs fan use the same tired Sox arguement against the Cards - "You guys are jealous of us, you have an inferiority complex, your park is horrible, St. Louis is in the ghetto". However, most dont have any apprehension of turning coat and claiming to be a lifelong Cards fan. Because they know nothing about either team, and dont really follow baseball, they can pretend to be life long fans of one team when its hot, and boo the other when its not.

C-Dawg
05-03-2005, 07:50 AM
while watching the 2004 WS in a Cardinals shirt, I got bitched out by some girl for being a bandwagoner .

Wow! If she doesn't like people hopping on the bandwagon, its a good thing she's not a Cubs fan! There are 38,000 bandwagoners filling their park for every game.

rdwj
05-03-2005, 08:28 AM
I've found that most Cards fans like the Sox - and for many, the Sox are their 2nd favorite team. But, there is a segment of people who dislike anything Chicago. Since we're the largest city in the midwest, some think we think we're better than everyone else.

Kinda silly - but I've seen this attitude on many occasions

twsoxfan5
05-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Most Cardinal fans I talk to do like the White Sox. They hate the Cubs and they hate the Royals. What better AL team to pull for than the White Sox?

I agree with Elrod. I went to visit a friend at University of Dayton last year during the first game of the World Series. It was family weekend and everyone there for some reason was from St. Louis and were Cards fans. When they found out I was from Chicago they expected me to be a Cubs fan, but were pleasently suprised that I was a Sox fan. I think more often than not Cards fans and Sox fans get along, we both have a hate for Cubs.

SOXintheBURGH
05-03-2005, 08:53 AM
My grandfather has spent his entire life in a town called Pecatonica, which is near Rockford. He decided several decades ago that he hated the Chicago Cubs and became a die-hard Cardinals fan for that reason, with a strong love of the Sox as well. But he says he likes the Cards more since they got to kick their asses every year.:gulp:

Baby Fisk
05-03-2005, 09:11 AM
once, while watching the 2004 WS in a Cardinals shirt, I got bitched out by some girl for being a bandwagoner -- apparently people from outside of St. Louis are not allowed to cheer for the Cardinals in the postseason. I explained to her that I had actually been to a few Cards games that year and that the shirt was actually purchased at Busch stadium, and she seemed to back off, but still seemed to hate me.
Homefish provoking bad feelings wherever he goes? Shocking.

Hangar18
05-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Not surprising. Jerry Rein$dorf screwed himself and his SOX
good when he chose to ignore the Media bashing his team was taking the past
20 years in favor of that other team 8 miles north. It can be said that the
Cubs are truly the SOX competition.

There is definitely alot of gnashing of teeth in the Media regarding the SOX
hot start. Just the sheer volume and venom spewed towards the White Sox is unprecedented the last 2 weeks. The Fact that the Media is focusing on
writing negative stories instead of positive stories about the SOX should tell
you something. This has negatively impacted the way the SOX are
perceived with other fans.

voodoochile
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
My initial reaction is to put the gary coleman "who cares" tag in this thread. I honestly think it's the way to treat it. I mean why should we as Sox fans care what others think about our team?

I do think the media has something to do with it. Write enough negative articles, enough articles saying the Sox are lucky and people start to buy it.

But there is the other side of the coin... It's sports. It's natural to talk trash. People do it all the time. Heck at the interview I had the other day when I mentioned I was an admin on the largest White Sox site on the Internet, the guy ragged me about the hot start saying it was only April. I asked who he rooted for. He said the Yankees. I had the good sense not to rag him back... but I really really wanted to...:D:

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I've found that most Cards fans like the Sox - and for many, the Sox are their 2nd favorite team. But, there is a segment of people who dislike anything Chicago. Since we're the largest city in the midwest, some think we think we're better than everyone else.

Kinda silly - but I've seen this attitude on many occasions

You'll find a lot of that up here.

daveeym
05-03-2005, 11:10 AM
I've heard tales of St. Louis fans applauding a White Sox lead during an out-of-town score check inbetween innings on the big screen at Busch during a Cards/Cubs game, so this seems to be something that does happen.

That said, I've had two bad experiences with Cards fans: once, I tried to heckle an umpire at Busch, and, well, I got evil looks (St. Louis fans seem to be the sit-or-clap variety -- my behavior was far too bad-boy-esque for them, it seemed) and once, while watching the 2004 WS in a Cardinals shirt, I got bitched out by some girl for being a bandwagoner -- apparently people from outside of St. Louis are not allowed to cheer for the Cardinals in the postseason. I explained to her that I had actually been to a few Cards games that year and that the shirt was actually purchased at Busch stadium, and she seemed to back off, but still seemed to hate me. Is there a team you haven't rooted for in your lifetime?

voodoochile
05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Is there a team you haven't rooted for in your lifetime?

I'm not sure he has ever actually rooted for the Sox...:wink:

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Why are we all so concerned with being liked? The fans of this organization should know we are the black sheep, and we need to embrace it. The '83 Sox weren't embraced until AFTER their season passed. I say we embrace being the man in the black hat-it's appropriate, and we can use it to fuel our fire.

elrod
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
But, there is a segment of people who dislike anything Chicago. Since we're the largest city in the midwest, some think we think we're better than everyone else.

But isn't St. Louis just the very far South Side of Chicago?

St. Louisians can't get a break from anybody. They relied on the riverboat for far too long, while Chicago discovered the Iron Horse in the 1840s. The state screwed St. Louis by cutting off the county from the city in 1876, which effectively stunted its growth (imagine Chicago's city limits at North Avenue, Western Avenue, and 35th Street). And that city has gone downhill ever since they hosted the World's Fair and the Summer Olympics in the same year - 1904. They're hated within their own state. BUT, unlike Chicago, they can't veto everything Missourah says the way Chicago can for Illinois (Kansas City and the Ozarkees in the Southwest tend to overall St. Louis on Missourah matters). Yeah, St. Louis has it tough. But they do have fried ravioli.

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 11:19 AM
But isn't St. Louis just the very far South Side of Chicago?

And Milwaukee is a North Suburb of the city.

elrod
05-03-2005, 11:23 AM

Seems that way. Indy is the far southeastern suburb and Minny is the far northwestern suburb.

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 11:29 AM

I'm not so sure that should be in teal.

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not so sure that should be in teal.

That's true. It is just a bastard suburb we didn't want.

LVSoxFan
05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
My co-worker is from St. Louis and a hardcore Cards fan, but he prefers the Sox.

Granted, part of it is due to the fact that our Cubs-loving office mate is a trash talker (who certainly has been silent this season, LOL) and Sox hater.

But there's no legit reason a Cards fan should hate the Sox--at least not any practical one; we pose no threat to them and when we beat the Cubs it only helps them. They are to the Cubs what the Twins are to us.

Funny how in this town the Cubs are P.E. #1 when really that series is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Cubs with a passion and that's certainly a bragging rights contest. But lately, thinking about who counts, I really, really hate the Twins and especially Oakland.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I think it's mainly because the White Sox have such a knowledgeable fan base.

When we rip their team, we actually know what we are talking about. We make points that they haven't thought of, so they resent us. When a Cub fan yells "Sox suck" to me and he then admits he knows nothing about our team, there is no sting. When I reply "Cubs suck or Cards suck and here is why......" and I explain every fundamental flaw on their team and their organization they resent the hell out of that, and then start really hating on the White Sox. Their hatred is acknowledgment that we are someone to be reckoned with and not taken lightly.

Also take note that most people hate the Yankees. But yet they seem to draw energy from that. Kenny and Ozzie are starting to tap into that mind set.

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
In all honesty, I think it's that red-headed step child chip we carry on our shoulder. I mean, aren't most of us automatically defensive when enetering a conversation about baseball if you don't know who you are talking to? I usually am because I'm getting ready for the BS that we get.

Uncle_Patrick
05-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm surprise that no one has mentioned it, but I think 1919 has something to do with people's attitude towards the White Sox. I think that there are people who believe that this franchise does not deserve to win for what happened that year. Who here has never had an argument about the Sox with a fan of another team (usually the Cubs) where the Black Sox don't come up? I've had people ask me "How can you be a fan of a team that threw the World Series?" a few times.

That being said, am I concerned that people don't like White Sox? No. I grew up in the Northwest suburbs surrounded by Cubs fans. I can't recall at any point growing up having a friend who was Sox fan after I turned 10 years old (prior to that, the people across the street from us were Sox fans, but they moved to California and dropped all allegiances to anything related to the Midwest). So, yeah, I'm used to people not liking the White Sox. I was never a Sox fan because it was "cool" or "popular".

These people who are coming out of the woodwork saying that the Sox suck, their fans suck, or this team is overachieving and won't go anywhere, they can all bite me.

TommyJohn
05-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm surprise that no one has mentioned it, but I think 1919 has something to do with people's attitude towards the White Sox. I think that there are people who believe that this franchise does not deserve to win for what happened that year. Who here has never had an argument about the Sox with a fan of another team (usually the Cubs) where the Black Sox don't come up? I've had people ask me "How can you be a fan of a team that threw the World Series?" a few times.

That being said, am I concerned that people don't like White Sox? No. I grew up in the Northwest suburbs surrounded by Cubs fans. I can't recall at any point growing up having a friend who was Sox fan after I turned 10 years old (prior to that, the people across the street from us were Sox fans, but they moved to California and dropped all allegiances to anything related to the Midwest). So, yeah, I'm used to people not liking the White Sox. I was never a Sox fan because it was "cool" or "popular".

These people who are coming out of the woodwork saying that the Sox suck, their fans suck, or this team is overachieving and won't go anywhere, they can all bite me.

That never used to come up until the '90's, and I think Sayles' sci-fi take on
the scandal has a lot to do with it. That said, it happened 86 frickin' years
ago. All the participants are dead. The ones who did it were expelled from
baseball. I honestly am at a loss to understand that mentality.

And who says that other legendary "sufferers" don't "deserve" it, either?

A lot of people hate the Yankees, too. That's one reason why I have made
them my number two team.

Elvisfan1977
05-03-2005, 02:18 PM

I've noticed a lot of Cardinal fans trying to steal our thunder lately, too. Maybe it's because no one's talking about them and they feel their rivalry with the Cubs is stronger than the Sox/Cubs. And as for history and tradition? The White Sox blow the Cardinals out of the water. Some one should tell the Cardinals they lost the Series last year, too. Is it me or are Cardinal fans similar to Cubs fans: They have a sense of entitlement and superiority because they made it to the Series. If you win it, that's one thing. But to lose the Series puts you in the same company as the team who finished last in their division. IMHO.

Uncle_Patrick
05-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Honestly, I think its just something that people like use to attack the Sox when they have nothing else. I've heard it mostly from Cubs fans, and you know that most of them wouldn't know how to use stats to defend their team.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2005, 02:45 PM

And who says that other legendary "sufferers" don't "deserve" it, either?

A lot of people hate the Yankees, too. That's one reason why I have made
them my number two team.

Lot's of people still view it as a black eye on the sport. The 1919 Sox are the only pro team that was caught throwing the championship. I've always thought that we get a bad rap from the national media because of that episode. There are still a ton of baseball purists who will always view our organization as evil. I can't really say I blame them. Honestly, that scandal was 1000 times worse than the current steroid scandal. We probably weren't the first team to do it either.

Also, I've always thought we should embrace the "bad guy" image. It's worked wonders for the Raiders.

doublem23
05-03-2005, 02:47 PM
I really agree with what was said a few pages back, how a lot of people outside Chicago in the central Midwest really dislike Chicago. I'll give them credit, the Cubs have done a very good job of marketing themselves apart from a lot of the seedier "Chicago" stereotypes; they play in a shrine, the sun is always shining, and nothing is bad in Wrigleyville. The Sox are more representative of "true" Chicago; you know, gangs wear Sox hats, we play our games at night, etc. There's a barber just off campus I occasionally patron and he's a big Cub fan, but he also dislikes (and, I think, is scared) of the city... This coming from a guy who lives in Peoria's West Bluff.

I think most "anti-Chicago" sentiments around here do not translate into anti-Cubs.

Nate_in_Kansas
05-03-2005, 03:33 PM

When we rip their team, we actually know what we are talking about. We make points that they haven't thought of, so they resent us. When a Cub fan yells "Sox suck" to me and he then admits he knows nothing about our team, there is no sting. When I reply "Cubs suck or Cards suck and here is why......" and I explain every fundamental flaw on their team and their organization they resent the hell out of that, and then start really hating on the White Sox. Their hatred is acknowledgment that we are someone to be reckoned with and not taken lightly.

Also take note that most people hate the Yankees. But yet they seem to draw energy from that. Kenny and Ozzie are starting to tap into that mind set.

This is funny, though, because a lot of the Twins and Royals fans I know hate the Sox because of what they consider to be the "jealous and unprofessional" things they say...Mainly they point to all the harping various Sox players (and announcers, fans, etc.) have made over the last few years about how the Twins have been lucky to win and the Sox were the ones who actually deserved to be there in the end. I have to admit that I myself have heard these types of things way to many times and that they do sound stupid, no matter who is saying them. I can understand why others might hate the Sox after hearing such things because they are, frankly, lazy, gutless, and uninformed criticisms.

So I guess that leads to what I think would get the Sox more positive attention: We all need to get rid of our inferiority complexes, stop harping on others and focusing on what WE could do better. We need to, basically, give respect where respect is due, and take responsibility for our own failings instead of always finding people to pin our losses on. Only by giving respect we will get respect when we deserve it.

MeanFish
05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
This is funny, though, because a lot of the Twins and Royals fans I know hate the Sox because of what they consider to be the "jealous and unprofessional" things they say...Mainly they point to all the harping various Sox players (and announcers, fans, etc.) have made over the last few years about how the Twins have been lucky to win and the Sox were the ones who actually deserved to be there in the end. I have to admit that I myself have heard these types of things way to many times and that they do sound stupid, no matter who is saying them. I can understand why others might hate the Sox after hearing such things because they are, frankly, lazy, gutless, and uninformed criticisms.

So I guess that leads to what I think would get the Sox more positive attention: We all need to get rid of our inferiority complexes, stop harping on others and focusing on what WE could do better. We need to, basically, give respect where respect is due, and take responsibility for our own failings instead of always finding people to pin our losses on. Only by giving respect we will get respect when we deserve it.

I don't think it's an inferiority complex so much as it is a certain reactionary ferocity; we've been pushed, prodded, and teased for so long (the first two by the media, the third by our own team) that we just start throwing verbal punches and, like the scrappy underdog, we don't stop until our opponent has fallen -- until we win the WS and the media acknowledges that it wasn't a fluke. White Sox fans have great respect for the vast majority of MLB franchises. The Cub hatred, while oftentimes over-the-top and petty, is also completely justified. It's not an inferiority complex; it's fighting back. When you consider that the most powerful arm of the Chicago media and the other team in town are rooted in the same corporate entity, it's not hard to see that, in a respect, the Cubs are literally keeping the Sox down in a war of words.

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 04:58 PM

I guess bad word choice on my part. I meant that he was WITH the Sox before the Cubs. Thanks for correcting me though :smile:

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
I think a couple of people touched on this already so I'm not going to fill up space with quotes, but it's true that whenever I get into an argument down here with someone at a party or something, Cubs fans don't know anything! They can toss around players' names and that's about it. No background, no stats, no understanding of the game in general. It's pretty annoying when you're spouting off facts and pointing out flaws, and all they can come back is by knocking things like US Cellular "Do they call it The Cell cause it's in the ghetto?" Get real. It's really disappointing that people entering the real world in a couple of years still act childish like that.

I also agree with the Sox needing to keep up a bad boy image. Besides, like Machiavelli said "It's better to be hated, than loved" and that's exactly what the Sox have going for them.....maybe he was the world's first Sox fan? lol

DSpivack
05-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Gee I wonder what caused him to leave...

My dad used to live in Springfield and we would go to several Cards games every summer. Many Cardinals fans tend to have the best of the Chicago fans in knowledge and yet not have the worst in terms of having a positive attitude. I really enjoyed St. Louis; we would eat on the Hill before or after every game. Can't say Oakley or Taylor St. is better than that.

The Sox have always been my #1 but the Cards will likely always be my #2.

TornLabrum
05-03-2005, 07:28 PM

Harry Carey started in Hollywood. Harry Caray started with the Cards.

maurice
05-03-2005, 07:49 PM
The Cards have been my NL team since the Whitey Herzog days, but Cards fans are stiffs compared to Sox fans. Plenty of knowledge but little apparent enthusiasm and no wit.

Since we're the largest city in the midwest, some think we think we're better than everyone else.

"Think"? :cool:

Can't say Oakley or Taylor St. is better than that.

I have friends in St. Louis who would strongly disagree. They come to Chicago regularly, and always eat at RoSal's on Taylor.

TommyJohn
05-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Harry Carey started in Hollywood. Harry Caray started with the Cards.

Yes. He played Hawkeye in a serial version of The Last of the Mohicans. His
son Harry (Not Skip) Carey, Jr. was a good actor as well.

wsbaseball9
05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
during my high school morning anouncments 'sox are only winning because they play weak teams' ran across the bottom over and over, needless to say that pissed me off, but when my entire class started commenting about it and me being part of the 2% sox fan in my school yet again had to defend my sox 1 on 29 and i hate when i do that because i have to become a stathead and just throw stats out to shut them up :(:

anyone else have a way of dealing with these idiots??

voodoochile
05-03-2005, 10:54 PM
during my high school morning anouncments 'sox are only winning because they play weak teams' ran across the bottom over and over, needless to say that pissed me off, but when my entire class started commenting about it and me being part of the 2% sox fan in my school yet again had to defend my sox 1 on 29 and i hate when i do that because i have to become a stathead and just throw stats out to shut them up :(:

Ask them how Wood is pitching these days? Ask them who plays second for the team? Just keep repeating these two phrases over and over again...

19-7

1908 (I would recommend following this second one with a big hearty laugh).

You can always just let out a good healthy "baaaaaaahhhhh" because sheep is what they truly are. I mean it's cool to be one of 2% of anything for the most part. Let the losers be lovable you be a rebel.

boiler up
05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
i know what you mean

but for the most part, cardinal fans are alright with me, seeing we both hate the flubs

tstrike2000
05-04-2005, 12:31 PM

Yes, it's pretty much a consensus that most Scrub fans know almost nothing about baseball or who's on the Sox. Out of all the Scrubbie fans I know, only two know alot about baseball and thats because I'm in a fantasy league with them. I wouldn't say Sox fans are better people than the lovable loser fans, I've just found them to be much more passionate and knowledgable about the Sox and the game of baseball.

Greg1983
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
I hate to risk sounding like a bad guy here, but the Cardinals fan who said what he said might have something of a point. I don't have hard numbers to back me up, but I think the Sox have had at least one amazing winning streak--maybe a really hot month or two--every year since 2000, only to crash and burn sometime in August or September.

I've loved the Sox since I was born, but even I catch myself occasionally waiting for the big letdown. Now, I like our chances a lot better this year, because we're winning with pitching instead of homers, and I think that will make us more consistent. But I can't say that I blame this guy from St. Louis for saying what he said. It' doesn't sound like ignorant Sox-bashing to me.

I live in Indianapolis (which I detest, but that's a different post), and every year I watch the Colts flame out when they play New England. They could go 16-0 and lead every statistical category in the regular season, but until they prove otherwise, I'll pick them to choke against the Patriots every time. If I think with my head instead of my heart, I could draw a similar conclusion with the Sox and Twins. Until we've proven on the field that we can keep Minnesota down, and win some big series in August and September, you gotta pick the champs.

I'm also a fan, of course, so I'll be watching on TV or at the Cell and wishing and praying with all the rest of you.

seanpmurphy
05-04-2005, 04:52 PM

Punch them right in the face.
I kid, I kid...

Call them out on being bandwagon fans, and like also mentioned, ask about Wood and their 2B. Go ahead and tell them Old Style sucks too. Yuck. Give me an nice cold Miller Lite anyday.

On a side note, I had someone tell me the other day "US Cellular isn't in a good neighborhood for little kids" and I was like "And Boystown is?" That shut them right up. Keep on truckin duder

Greg1983
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM

You could mention how the Cubs only made the 1908 World Series because of a baserunning error by the New York Giants' Fred Merkle, the infamous "Merkle Boner."

Then ask them how it feels knowing they only won their last world series because of some dude's boner. :cool:

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 09:16 PM
during my high school morning anouncments 'sox are only winning because they play weak teams' ran across the bottom over and over...

I heard the competition only gets worse from here. In a couple of weeks the Sox play one of the weakest, most overrated teams out there. Unfortunately, they have to travel to this awful team's ballpark which smells like a urinal and is not up to major league standards. If that wasn't bad enough, this opponent's fans are a bunch of drunken, obnoxious morons who are totally full of themselves and know very little about baseball. I heard that the game on the field is only a side attraction for them. Ugh, it's not going to be pleasant, but it'll be great to see the Sox rack up some more wins from one of these "bottom feeders".

wsbaseball9
05-04-2005, 11:12 PM
You could mention how the Cubs only made the 1908 World Series because of a baserunning error by the New York Giants' Fred Merkle, the infamous "Merkle Boner."

Then ask them how it feels knowing they only won their last world series because of some dude's boner. :cool:

im writing that one down

seanpmurphy
05-04-2005, 11:46 PM

Simply amazing. I brought it up to one of my Cub fan friends. He really didn't have a reply. That's awesome.