PDA

View Full Version : WHAT??? Two laudatory Cubune articles in the same day

JoseCanseco6969
05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Very good logic throughout the article

Nice quote at the end

"U.S. Cellular Field becomes a better ballpark every year. It could be almost as wild this August and September as Wrigley Field was at the end of 2003. That would be nice because the Sox's die-hards deserve it."

not sure if this link will work for anyone but me as you need to register.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050502rogers,1,695844.column?page=1&coll=cs-home-headlines

MRKARNO
05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050502sox,1,5033905.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Overview of the Sox by Dave van Dyck

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050502rogers,1,695844.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Some nice White Sox tidbits by Phil Rogers

SOXPHILE
05-02-2005, 10:32 PM
"Phil Rogers, please report to the principals office. Phil Rogers, to the principals office....NOW !"

cbrownson13
05-02-2005, 10:33 PM
U.S. Cellular Field becomes a better ballpark every year. It could be almost as wild this August and September as Wrigley Field was at the end of 2003. That would be nice because the Sox's die-hards deserve it.

WOW! Since when do Sox fans deserve anything?

Banix12
05-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Extra sox coverage of a positive note, one of the many positive effects of there being nothing positive to say about the cubs. Unless you count, "Nefi Perez is hitting the ball great and Dubois rips the cover off the ball the one game he plays a week"

I still don't agree with this assessment from Van Dyke's column...

• Pierzynski is hitting .269 and has driven in only two runs, but he has been nursing a badly bruised big toe. He's another disappointment so far.

His bat has been average so far but his game calling, defense, and attitude have been great and have been much needed boosts for this team. I'd say he has been far from disappointing.

Other than that, pretty good articles.

rwcescato
05-02-2005, 10:42 PM
WOW! Since when do Sox fans deserve anything?

I definitely think we deserve something. But someone from the media actually saying that its hard to believe. Nice article I am sure it will be in the trib on Tuesday morning. As I speak 19% polled at espn.com have voted us to keep winning this year.
Rich:supernana:

fusillirob1983
05-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, AJ hurt his foot and stayed in the game because he wanted to help the team. Definitely says something about his character, which won't reflect RBI, but is still important.

MUsoxfan
05-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Nice quote at the end

"U.S. Cellular Field becomes a better ballpark every year. It could be almost as wild this August and September as Wrigley Field was at the end of 2003. That would be nice because the Sox's die-hards deserve it."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050502rogers,1,695844.column?page=1&coll=cs-home-headlines

Right Phil....I forgot that it's impossible to match the intensity that Cub fans have.

seanpmurphy
05-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Right Phil....I forgot that it's impossible to match the intensity that Cub fans have.

I don't know. I don't want any Steve Bartmen's getting too into the game at the Cell :smile:

MIgrenade
05-03-2005, 02:35 AM
I have to say something about AJ. He is leading off innings a lot more than he is used to. Dye SUCKS and he ends innings and so does Rowand. Try moving AJ up in the order and maybe he drives in some runs where Pauly and Dye and Rowand don't.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-03-2005, 08:41 AM

He probably ment it will be hard to match the drunkeness at The Urinal. The BASEBALL intensity will be much higher at the Cell this summer, but the wild, drunken, frenzies will not be as prevelent.

Remember, our fans actually care about what happens on the field and want to remember the experience...

SOXintheBURGH
05-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Ordonez' exit makes the Sox better?

Hrmm.. there's a website I frequent who has had that philosophy for a few months now.

gosox41
05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Very good logic throughout the article

Nice quote at the end

It took Phil Rogers long enough to figure out that getting rid of Ordonez might be a good thing.

Bob

daveeym
05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
It took Phil Rogers long enough to figure out that getting rid of Ordonez might be a good thing.

Bob No ****, and I still thought rogers went out of the way to get his digs in. That Schmuck.

wilburaga
05-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Mr. Rogers wrote...

"As a result, the mean salary, the point at which just as many players earn more as less, has jumped from $775,000 to $2 million."

Sorry, I cannot help myself, but that is the median salary, not the mean salary.

W

mdep524
05-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Rogers' article was very good, except for a couple of points:

First, he still doesn't acknowledge what an *** Magglio has been for the past 8 months- changing agents, trashing the Sox, holding out for big money, lack of honesty, etc. He still sees Ordonez as some glimmering, wholesome saint baseball player, and blames KW and Ozzie for the ill will.

Second, he officially starts the Clemens-to-the-Cubs rumors. I think the Cubs will be too far out of contention to make any big plays come July, but its never too early for the Chicago media to think about who they could (unreasonably) get. I hope this doesn't turn into a Beltran thing, where they print his stats at Wrigley Field in the paper every day and dispatch reporters to ask Clemens his feelings about coming to the Cubs.

Tekijawa
05-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Second, he officially starts the Clemens-to-the-Cubs rumors. I think the Cubs will be too far out of contention to make any big plays come July, but its never too early for the Chicago media to think about who they could (unreasonably) get. I hope this doesn't turn into a Beltran thing, where they print his stats at Wrigley Field in the paper every day and dispatch reporters to ask Clemens his feelings about coming to the Cubs.

He fails to note that their best player in Berkman is due back possibly by the end of the week and that the Cubs "O" is equally Terrible!

Fake Chet Lemon
05-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Both teams were off so they had no choice but to write SOMETHING. Maybe in their minds if they write nice stuff now, they can set us up for a kill later in the season. I think Ozzie has other plans though.

maurice
05-03-2005, 11:38 AM
"Phil Rogers, please report to the principals office. Phil Rogers, to the principals office....NOW !"

Don't worry. He covered his ass by front-loading the artcile with some serious anti-Sox BS:
You can argue about the way the [Sox] let [Ordonez] go—how general manager Ken Williams hurt his free-agent value by dwelling on the mysterious nature of Ordonez's knee injury

No, you can't argue about the way they let him go. Everything KW said is true, and current events bear that out. In fact, KW went out of his way to say many nice things about Ordonez and refused to retaliate. Everything Ordonez and Borass said was a pack of lies. Besides, if KW "hurt his free-agent value," why is Ordonez getting paid $15 mil. / year to sit on his ass? The answer . . . Phil Rogers is a
:dtroll:

You can argue about . . . how classless it is for Ozzie Guillen to talk like Ordonez has somehow morphed into Albert Belle, which he hasn't.

No, you can't argue about Guillen. He's all class compared to that dip**** Ordonez, who lied about the entire Sox organization, refused to **** even after he started cashing oversized checks from the Detroit Tigers, and recently said that Guillen is his "enemy." By comparison, Belle quietly cashed his checks from the Orioles and went on his merry way. He even produced a bit before his career-ending injury took hold.

The facts show that Ordonez has no class, but he acts like something that rhymes with class. Rogers certainly is aware of all of these facts. His insistence on ignoring them shows that he is a
:dtroll: