PDA

View Full Version : Great USA Today story 5-2-05

fincher
05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
I didn't see this story mentioned via Search, but its a great story on the Sox in USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/whitesox/2005-05-01-cover-hotstart_x.htm

OKCidiot
05-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Excellent article... thanks for passing it on!

faneidde
05-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow, that really is a great article. Really makes me feel good about the team that pitchers are willing to take the field. Everyday it feels more and more like something magical might be happening on the south side this year.

jabrch
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
a 3.01 team ERA...in one of the best hitters parks in baseball...

That's a far cry from the pitching staffs of the past few years.

Cellview22
05-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Great article!

I like how the article ended. A new nickname would be cool, esp. if it catches on.

NonetheLoaiza
05-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Let's hope for more of these kinds of articles. It's way past due for people to start notice.

NorthlakeTom
05-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Sox players also point to improved team chemistry as a major factor in the fast start.

Yes, this is a factor the ignorant media stat hacks overlook. Well, that and the pitching.

NorthlakeTom
05-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Let's hope for more of these kinds of articles. It's way past due for people to start notice.

To be honest with you, I think media attention is nothing but harmful. We fans eat it up for sure, but the players don't need it, and they probably don't want it.

Let the Cubs have the attention as they wallow around .500 all season.

It's frustrating, I know, but I think "flying under the radar" is a valuable asset not measured on a scorecard.

soxfanreggie
05-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Garland's only 25...a long term deal could be in order...however...we need to make sure this isn't a one hit wonder year. however, we know jon is talented is was just finally using that talent now that he has a lot of experience.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm glad the article didn't focus solely on the losses of Carlos and Maggs, like seemingly every other article I come across does...

There's just this feeling I get when thinking of this team...I think it will go quite far this year.

NonetheLoaiza
05-02-2005, 10:50 PM
To be honest with you, I think media attention is nothing but harmful. We fans eat it up for sure, but the players don't need it, and they probably don't want it.

Let the Cubs have the attention as they wallow around .500 all season.

It's frustrating, I know, but I think "flying under the radar" is a valuable asset not measured on a scorecard.

I agree with you, and by no means do I really wish the Sox were plastered all over BBTN, SportsCenter, etc. Just some respect that we have the best record in baseball is all. I agree, though, I like flying under that radar and surprising everyone.

shoota
05-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I didn't see this story mentioned via Search, but its a great story on the Sox in USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/whitesox/2005-05-01-cover-hotstart_x.htm

Thanks fincher for sharing that wonderful article with us. It was written by Mike Dodd--I'm assuming not Mike Dodd the beach volleyball player.

Though the entire article is primo, Dr. Beckett might take issue with Dodd calling the navicular bone part of the ankle, but I'll let that one go since he's a national writer:

Frank Thomas (career .308 batter, 436 home runs) continues his rehabilitation from surgery for a stress fracture of the navicular bone in his left ankle.

Outside of that, I think Mike Dodd just served up an Ace with this article. :wink:

krohnjw
05-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Great find! :smile: Well written and positive, 2 rarities with Sox articles lately.

fincher
05-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Check out the "Then and Now" chart. Those stats tell the story.

I also like the stuff on the team chemistry.

The Racehorse
05-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Good read. :cool:

jenmcm76
05-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Possibly the best part of the article, in talking about how there's more of a team attitude:

Guillen said he has noticed the difference. When several infielders were hurt in the Oakland series last week, pitchers came up to him with their gloves volunteering to take the field.
I love it!

Palehose13
05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Best article on the Sox this season. Funny that it didn't come from a Chicago paper. :rolleyes:

PatK
05-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Check out the "Then and Now" chart. Those stats tell the story.

I also like the stuff on the team chemistry.

People keep saying that they can't score like they used to, but runs scored isn't as important in my opinion as run differential.

Sure, they've scored 18 less runs. But they've also allowed 38 fewer.

Run differential at this point last year was +13. This year, it's +33

jmoney
05-03-2005, 01:18 PM
keep em coming

Evman5
05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
sweeeeeeet

Taz
05-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Garland's only 25...a long term deal could be in order...however...we need to make sure this isn't a one hit wonder year. however, we know jon is talented is was just finally using that talent now that he has a lot of experience.

Watching Jon over the past 3 years.. you could see his improvement... more importantly his self-confidence...

I think a long term deal for Jon would be GREAT!, he's earning it...

Kuzman
05-03-2005, 02:23 PM
This year the Sox have won three games by scoring two runs or less matching their total from the previous two years combined. That's pitching picking up the team when it was needed. I love that stat right there. Throw in the fact that we are in Coors Field East. Also you know that things are really clicking with the pitching when our ACE has the highest ERA out of the starting rotation

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 02:31 PM
:windsock: Hey Hawk, is it okay for me to jump on the bandwagon?

:hawk No.

Just you guys watch, Moronotti will be with us beginning next week if we win 4 out of 6, including a sweep against KC. You heard it here first.

swanson24
05-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Mike Dodd of USA Today did a great job on that article and deserves some cheers for being one of the few reporters to notice the 2005 White Sox. :gulp: