PDA

View Full Version : Paulies Problem, No Frank??

GiveMeSox
05-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Could this really be the problem for Konerko. Me and some friends were discussing this and decided without the protection in the Lineup he is used to Paulie is going to have some problems. Granted he lost some protection 2nd half last year but still had Carlos ahead of him. Without Franks high OBP and ability to work the counts pitchers are going right after Paulie, giving him nothing to hit. Franks presence in the lineup makes everyone around him better, no question. So could this be the difference. Having Everett, Rowand, and Dye around just doesn't offer enough in the lineup to give Paulie what we are all used to? Could this be the problem, lack of production from Konerko's batting mates.

DickAllen72
05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Or could it be that Konerko's lack of production is what's hurting Rowand and Dye? :?:

RKMeibalane
05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Could this really be the problem for Konerko. Me and some friends were discussing this and decided without the protection in the Lineup he is used to Paulie is going to have some problems. Granted he lost some protection 2nd half last year but still had Carlos ahead of him. Without Franks high OBP and ability to work the counts pitchers are going right after Paulie, giving him nothing to hit. Franks presence in the lineup makes everyone around him better, no question. So could this be the difference. Having Everett, Rowand, and Dye around just doesn't offer enough in the lineup to give Paulie what we are all used to? Could this be the problem, lack of production from Konerko's batting mates.

I don't think so. Konerko was fine last season without Frank. I think his recent slump is more his doing than anything else.

StillMissOzzie
05-03-2005, 01:47 AM
I don't think so. Konerko was fine last season without Frank. I think his recent slump is more his doing than anything else.

Me too. Nobody was crying "Wher's Frank to protect Paulie?" when he jumped out to lead the AL in homers a few weeks ago. Then, he got ice cold.

SMO
:gulp:

house215
05-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Paulie has a history of slumping, Big Frank or no Big Frank.

Banix12
05-03-2005, 09:32 AM

He's been suceesful before with frank out, but it could have some effect. It really couldn't hurt him to have Frank batting in front of him.

Hangar18
05-03-2005, 09:45 AM
This is a good question being raised.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Or could it be that Konerko's lack of production is what's hurting Rowand and Dye? :?:All of the above.

tstrike2000
05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
It's a temporary problem until Paul, Dye and Rowand start heating up again, hopefully in time to have Frank's presence in the lineup.

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
What I think is being forgotten is that Paulie, with the possible exception of last year, has NEVER had a year when he has had consistent production from wire to wire. He always only has good halves of seasons. Even last year, he cooled off in the second half.

swanson24
05-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Everyone so far has brought up a lot of intersting points about why Paulie is struggling. It seems like bad hitting is like the flu if two or three people in the lineup can't hit for average consistently it spreads. I don't want to say that everyone is struggling offensively but some of the bigger guys are like Dye, Paulie and Rowand. Some notable exceptions are Iguchi, Uribe, Crede and Harris who have been hitting the ball consistently so far this season.

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I think all of the guys who are in a slump will hit well when frank gets back. He has a tendancy to do this which is what a great hitter usually does. Even if he's not hitting he will still make everyone in that lineup better.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-03-2005, 11:48 AM
You put Frank behind Paulie, and Paulie sees more fastballs. Because PK is good fastball hitter, this should push his average and production up. I don't care if Frank wasn't there last season or not, PK may have done even better with a force like Frank behind him.

Then with Frank on base, the guys behind Frank should see more strikes because pitchers are going to be more careful not to walk guys with others already on base.

The reason Frank helps the whole lineup is due to the reasons above and the fact that he sees so many pitches and works the pitchers so well. He is almost like a leadoff hitter in that he helps the whole team see what the pitcher has that day. Not to mention the fact that the pitcher has to throw 10+ more pitches with him in there.

Kuzman
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Why doesn't he learn to take a walk from time to time. Make the pitcher PITCH to him them when he gets patient and not trying to park the ball everytime at the plate.

JRIG
05-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Everyone will benefit once Frank returns, chief among them Iguchi. Thomas always produces fantastic results for whomever hits in front of him.

He even made Mike Caruso look like major-league baseball player.

NorthlakeTom
05-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Pauly's been in a two week slump, but he tore up the league the first two weeks. No problem, IMO.

He's on pace to drive in 110, and if he can do that, I don't care if he hits .200.

DickAllen72
05-03-2005, 03:26 PM
This situation just proves what a great hitter Carl Everett is, being able to produce as well as he has, driving in so many runs without anyone batting behind him to protect him.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Konerko has always been incredibly streaky. He'll never put together a full season, either carrying or sinking the team from one week to the next. The only thing you can count on is his "hang dog" routine everytime he ****s up at the plate. That's the one thing you can book about Paul Konerko. Everything else is conjecture. He'll never put together a full season.

Given that his competitive set is comprised of all the A.L. firstbasemen and that Konerko is slower than molasses, he is probably the only ballplayer on the entire Sox roster getting paid significantly more than he is worth.

Paul Konerko is the 21st Century's answer to the 20th Century's Rob Deer.

:cool:

RKMeibalane
05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Konerko has always been incredibly streaky. He'll never put together a full season, either carrying or sinking the team from one week to the next. The only thing you can count on is his "hang dog" routine everytime he ****s up at the plate. That's the one thing you can book about Paul Konerko. Everything else is conjecture. He'll never put together a full season.

Given that his competitive set is comprised of all the A.L. firstbasemen and that Konerko is slower than molasses, he is probably the only ballplayer on the entire Sox roster getting paid significantly more than he is worth.

I love it when PHG talks about Paul Konerko. I can feel his hatred for the man, even through the computer screen. :D:

Deadguy
05-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Konerko is just an absolute embarassment right now. He's been asked to anchor this lineup, and has fallen flat on his face. Thankfully other guys have stepped up to to cover up his pathetic BA with RISP and his anti-clutch GIDPs, but he better pick it up soon. Don't care why he is struggling, just get the job done, Great White Dope. :angry:

The Racehorse
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM

PHG, I'm not sure if our younger members know the lowdown on Bambi... both he and Pete Incaviglia [anyone under 25 years old heard of him?] were in a race to set the record for strikeouts on the planet back during the mid to late 80s. :cool:

Deadguy
05-04-2005, 07:07 PM
PHG, I'm not sure if our younger members know the lowdown on Bambi... both he and Pete Incaviglia [anyone under 25 years old heard of him?] were in a race to set the record for strikeouts on the planet back during the mid to late 80s. :cool:

I remember Pete, and I am under 25. I remember when I was a Junior in High School, my Trigonometry teacher was amused at the fact that he was going to try and play with Baltimore that year. It stuck out in my mind because the guy never talked about baseball, and I was wondering why he was bringing this up during class. Later that spring, he was making fun of Thomas and Belle for not living up to the hype (through April of 1997), when both got off to poor starts.

I also remember Deer's lame comeback attempt in 1996 with the Padres. SI did a profile that featured a picture of him on a hog, and he talked about what he had been up to in his 3 year absence. Why SI thinks anyone would have cared, is something I didn't understand then, and don't understand now.

BeerHandle
05-04-2005, 09:44 PM

Kornerko looked terrible tonight. Hurry back Frank. Can Everett play a little first base? This could give Paulie a little break.

fuzzy_patters
05-04-2005, 10:16 PM

Rob Deer is a career .220 hitter with a career high in batting average of .252.
Paul Konerko's career average is .276. Rob Deer struck out at least 100 times in every season that he had at least 300 at bats. Paul Konerko has struck out over 100 times once. The two are very comparable.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Rob Deer is a career .220 hitter with a career high in batting average of .252.
Paul Konerko's career average is .276. Rob Deer struck out at least 100 times in every season that he had at least 300 at bats. Paul Konerko has struck out over 100 times once. The two are very comparable.No one can touch Bambi in SO/AB. He's not just out there...he's, you know, out there.

seanpmurphy
05-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I love all the Paulie hatred.

He's in a slump. Get over it. At this rate someone is going to bring up trading him. There's a lot expected from him and he got off to a torrid start this season and has fallen off, but I'm sure he will be back on track.

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I love all the Paulie hatred.

He's in a slump. Get over it. At this rate someone is going to bring up trading him. There's a lot expected from him and he got off to a torrid start this season and has fallen off, but I'm sure he will be back on track.Tomorrow against Grienke is a good time to give him a day off. Right now he's just digging the hole deeper. Burke can play 1B adequately.

seanpmurphy
05-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Tomorrow against Grienke is a good time to give him a day off. Right now he's just digging the hole deeper. Burke can play 1B adequately.

I agree. Give im a night off, let him relax and stuff. Who knows what's going on in his head right now. Dye had a day off Sunday, and he's got his average back up to .207, which I know isn't great, but it's definitely an improvement.

I've always like Paul, and he's going through a crappy time right now. Let's not roast on him. Whatever happened to supporting the team?

Ol' No. 2
05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
I agree. Give im a night off, let him relax and stuff. Who knows what's going on in his head right now. Dye had a day off Sunday, and he's got his average back up to .207, which I know isn't great, but it's definitely an improvement.

I've always like Paul, and he's going through a crappy time right now. Let's not roast on him. Whatever happened to supporting the team?Maybe Pauly needs a case of the flu. It seemed to work for Dye.:wink:

Seriously, sometimes when you're in a funk, playing every day just makes it worse. You're reinforcing muscle memory for the wrong movements. A few days off can disrupt the muscle memory, and when you start over, you can actually find the right stroke.

GiveMeSox
05-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Maybe Pauly needs a case of the flu. It seemed to work for Dye.:wink:

Seriously, sometimes when you're in a funk, playing every day just makes it worse. You're reinforcing muscle memory for the wrong movements. A few days off can disrupt the muscle memory, and when you start over, you can actually find the right stroke.

Could be, im sure Paulie will get a day off coming up pretty soon. I wouldn't be surrised if Burke starts first tomorrow and Paulie gets a breather. Also look for Ozuna to get some playing time, probably in the infield somewhere.

LuvSox
05-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Too many people here remember Konerko's "Half Seasons", as mentioned earlier. He is way too inconsistent, way too wealthy. Any major leaguer can hit for the fence like Paulie. Bench him for a period. Give someone else a shot. What can it hurt? He's below .200 now.

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 10:27 AM

Yes, I remember Pete Incaviglia.

The Racehorse
05-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I remember Pete, and I am under 25.

Yes, I remember Pete Incaviglia.

When he connected, the ball was sure to kill a cosmonaut... per every 20.5 plate appearance. :D:

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 11:12 AM

When he connected, the ball was sure to kill a cosmonaut... per every 20.5 plate appearance. :D:

There's no question that Pete had plenty of power. He reached the upper deck at Busch Stadium during a series between the Phils and Cardinals twelve years ago.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Rob Deer ran faster than Paul Konerko. In fact, Rob Deer probably still runs faster than Paul Konerko even today!
:roflmao:

We need somebody else to impersonate a tree trunk over at first base. The Sox pay $8 million. Any takers?
:wink:

RKMeibalane
05-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Rob Deer ran faster than Paul Konerko. In fact, Rob Deer probably still runs faster than Paul Konerko even today!

We need somebody else to impersonate a tree trunk over at first base. The Sox pay $8 million. Any takers?
:wink:

I hear that David Segui is looking for work.

DSpivack
05-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I hear that David Segui is looking for work.

At school we get a bunch of foreign language stations, and on the Japanese one they have Japanese baseball every now and then. For some reason the uniforms have english character names on the back. Once I turned it on and saw: Seguignol. Oh you Expos cast off, you.

Ol' No. 2
05-05-2005, 09:28 PM

:wink:I can run faster than Konerko, too. And I'll do it for half that.:cool: