PDA

View Full Version : schedule quirk?

Fenway
05-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Red Sox are at Detroit for 4 this week but also return to Detroit later for 3 more.

This is the only AL Central team we do this with.....yet a quick glance seems to show that not all the Central teams do this. Am I missing something?

MIgrenade
05-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Who is we? Because I know "we" as the White Sox. Is there something missing on that end?

MUsoxfan
05-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure I understand your confusion. Are you confused that the dirty Sox play an out-of-division team twice on the road or the fact that they're the only central team you do that with? I know the White Sox just played @ OAK and they go back there again in July.

Fenway
05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure I understand your confusion. Are you confused that the dirty Sox play an out-of-division team twice on the road or the fact that they're the only central team you do that with? I know the White Sox just played @ OAK and they go back there again in July.

everybody had extra games with the west since they only have 4 teams ( and Oakland is screaming about 3 trips east this year )

Usually in the Central we play 6 or 7 games 3/4 home 3/4 away

With the Tigers we have 10

GiveMeSox
05-02-2005, 07:31 PM
We play two 4 game sets vs baltimore and two 3 game sets vs the yankees and red sox. Why is that? Its all on a rotation. Next year the sox will have two 4 game sets against the yankees or jays and not against baltimore or something.

Fenway
05-02-2005, 07:39 PM
We play two 4 game sets vs baltimore and two 3 game sets vs the yankees and red sox. Why is that? Its all on a rotation. Next year the sox will have two 4 game sets against the yankees or jays and not against baltimore or something.

but how did Boston get 10 with Detroit ( 7 there ? )

notice Tigers are taking advantage of it

2 FOR 1 MONDAY - THURSDAY
Double your fun! Buy two $12 Upper Reserved tickets for the price of one for any regular season Monday - Thursday home game (except Boston Red Sox series).

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/det/ticketing/index.jsp

GiveMeSox
05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
but how did Boston get 10 with Detroit ( 7 there ? )

notice Tigers are taking advantage of it

2 FOR 1 MONDAY - THURSDAY
Double your fun! Buy two $12 Upper Reserved tickets for the price of one for any regular season Monday - Thursday home game (except Boston Red Sox series).

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/det/ticketing/index.jsp

Possible that they finished the extra games rotation of the AL west, since there are only 4 teams there. So only 4 teams in the AL East get extra games vs the 4 AL West teams. So since the red sox might have finished their 4 year extra game tour they get dumped with extra games against an AL Central oppnent, this year the tigers. Which you should be thankful for becuase their pitching staff aint stellar.

mcfish
05-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Who is we? Because I know "we" as the White Sox. Is there something missing on that end?If his name doesn't give it away, his sig probably should have. Fenway is nice enough not to refer to the Red Ones as "the Sox" around here, and he seems to be all for White Sox success 156 games of the year, but he's from Boston.

Kogs35
05-03-2005, 10:04 AM
the sox only play 18 games vs the twins and 8 vs baltimore. the twins also play 10 games vs seattle. this years schedule is all messed up

Fenway
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
If his name doesn't give it away, his sig probably should have. Fenway is nice enough not to refer to the Red Ones as "the Sox" around here, and he seems to be all for White Sox success 156 games of the year, but he's from Boston.

I will be at The Cell tomorrow :smile:

I found the reason. Since Boston does not have a traditional interleague rival this year they added games with the Tigers

Next year Boston will start a home and home with Philadelphia as Baltimore will play Washington.

gobears1987
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
I will be at The Cell tomorrow :smile:

I found the reason. Since Boston does not have a traditional interleague rival this year they added games with the Tigers

Next year Boston will start a home and home with Philadelphia as Baltimore will play Washington.
That's a good reason. I wouldn't be complaining anyways. You should be blessed to have those 10 games against the kittens. If your rotation was healthy, you would sweep them.

Also, enjoy your time at the Cell.

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
:hijacked:

Add two teams. Divide by two leagues, four divisions each. Have each team play:
--24 games against each divisional rival, 72 total
--6 games each against 12 other teams in league, 72 total
--3 games each against rotating division of other league or teams of other league with same divisional finish (e.g., 4th place AL East team plays fourth place team from each of the other four NL divisions), 12 total.
That adds up to 156. Extend divisional series to seven games and seed teams within leagues (e.g., divisional winner with top record plays team with fourth-place record).

Yes, much of this is in jest, but not all of it. I just wish I could make more sense of schedules. And, maybe even more important, I've never had a chance to use :hijacked: before.

End hijacking . . .

dcb33
05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
the sox only play 18 games vs the twins and 8 vs baltimore. the twins also play 10 games vs seattle. this years schedule is all messed up

The schedule isn't "messed up," it's just "unbalanced...":rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
05-04-2005, 04:28 PM
The schedule isn't "messed up," it's just "unbalanced...":rolleyes:

I resemble that remark . . .

ewokpelts
05-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Add two teams. Divide by two leagues, four divisions each. Have each team play:
--24 games against each divisional rival, 72 total
--6 games each against 12 other teams in league, 72 total
--3 games each against rotating division of other league or teams of other league with same divisional finish (e.g., 4th place AL East team plays fourth place team from each of the other four NL divisions), 12 total.
That adds up to 156. Extend divisional series to seven games and seed teams within leagues (e.g., divisional winner with top record plays team with fourth-place record).

Yes, much of this is in jest, but not all of it. I just wish I could make more sense of schedules. And, maybe even more important, I've never had a chance to use :hijacked: before.

End hijacking . . . i think they should go toward an nba type sched(quasi balanced)

Here's my scenario

Sox play EACH nl team(except the cubs) one series(3 games) a year(rotate home field every year)
sox play each AL team two series (home and away)(3 games each)
sox play al central one more series(rotate home games each year) (2-4 game series)
soxc play cubs twice(home and away)....
you roughly get 162 games(not exact math here), AND you decrease the crappy "yankees/red sox rivalry" games on espn.
Attendace increases since the sox get more games against good teams(top nl teams) instead of "yet another detroit or kc game)
Gene

Rocklive99
05-04-2005, 04:40 PM

I say get rid of interleague! It was cool at first, but it's ruining World Series matchups for me and there's all the unfair matchups (our Rival is the Flubs while the Twins play the Brewers). Experiment over, go back to normal!

Fenway
05-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I am just happy we don't have to play Atlanta 6 times anymore. Somebody thought since the Braves used to play in Boston it was a good idea. In reality we should have been paired with Montreal ( 300 miles away ) and Boston fans would have packed Stade Olympique. Ask any Montreal hockey scalper, Boston always the hard ticket, not Toronto.

That's a good reason. I wouldn't be complaining anyways. You should be blessed to have those 10 games against the kittens. If your rotation was healthy, you would sweep them.

Also, enjoy your time at the Cell.

dcb33
05-04-2005, 04:52 PM
i think they should go toward an nba type sched(quasi balanced)

Here's my scenario

Sox play EACH nl team(except the cubs) one series(3 games) a year(rotate home field every year)
sox play each AL team two series (home and away)(3 games each)
sox play al central one more series(rotate home games each year) (2-4 game series)
soxc play cubs twice(home and away)....
you roughly get 162 games(not exact math here), AND you decrease the crappy "yankees/red sox rivalry" games on espn.
Attendace increases since the sox get more games against good teams(top nl teams) instead of "yet another detroit or kc game)
Gene

I would prefer it if they added 2 teams and made 8 four team divisions. Then you could do this:

-Eliminate interleague. It's terrible. For every good matchup like Cubs/Sox or Yankees/Mets, there are three more matchups that suck. I've also always hated how we see one team in the other league as many times in one season as we do several of the teams in our same league.
-Each team plays its division rivals 12 times and the teams in another intraleague division 12 times, while playing the teams in the other two divisions 9 times. The 12/9/9 configuration would rotate on a yearly basis so you would play the teams in another division for two series each at home and on the road once every three years. This configuration, while it wouldn't balance the schedule league-wide, would at least make the schedules of division rivals nearly identical. The proposed schedule is also only 156 games, so at least a week could be shaved off of the season. As for the postseason, each of the 4 division winners would play each other in a playoff format similar to the one we have now.

owensmouth
05-04-2005, 06:35 PM

I say get rid of interleague! It was cool at first, but it's ruining World Series matchups for me and there's all the unfair matchups (our Rival is the Flubs while the Twins play the Brewers). Experiment over, go back to normal!We might be making out like bandits with that this year.

havelj
05-04-2005, 07:50 PM
WE?