PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson questions

Foulke29
05-02-2005, 03:54 PM
In reading some posts from some bulletheads complaining about Hawk and D.J., something occurred to me following reading a comment by a reader that pointed out how genuine a White Sox fan Hawk is.

He played for the KC A's, Washington, Boston and Cleveland. Just how is it that Hawk become a White Sox fan and grew to love them? Does anyone have a history on the Hawk that they care to share? Did he grow up a White Sox fan? When did he join the organization and why? Who have been his partners other than Drysdale, Wimpy and D.J?

What other teams did he work for?

Fenway
05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Hawk was fired by Haywood Sullivan of the Red Sox from the Boston TV analyst job after the 1981 season. Fisk put in a good word to Einhorn and the White Sox hired him along with Don Drysdale to launch SportsVision in 1982.

Hawk became GM in 1986 and after that fiasco went to the Yankees TV booth and was booed out of New York and returned to Chicago to replace Gary Thorne.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
In reading some posts from some bulletheads complaining about Hawk and D.J., something occurred to me following reading a comment by a reader that pointed out how genuine a White Sox fan Hawk is.

He played for the KC A's, Washington, Boston and Cleveland. Just how is it that Hawk become a White Sox fan and grew to love them? Does anyone have a history on the Hawk that they care to share? Did he grow up a White Sox fan? When did he join the organization and why? Who have been his partners other than Drysdale, Wimpy and D.J?

What other teams did he work for?Hawk is a homer because that's what he's paid for. If he left to broadcast Twins games, he'd instantly become a Twins fan.

LVSoxFan
05-02-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't mind the fact that Hawk's a vocal fan; as opposed to what?

And I don't mind him laying into the team as he will do if they're playing like crap. So he's not a total white-washer.

Where you'll never hear him offer any criticism is of JR or the organization--although who would do that publicly, in his position? Especially with loyalty-obsessed JR at the helm?

At Soxfest during the KW/Ozzie/Hawk meeting Hawk at one point said something to the effect of: "While they didn't get it done last year, you can't deny each Sox team has been better than the one before."

This brought a round of guffaws from the back of the room, where the more jaded (and wiser) fans didn't hide their contempt for that remark. We quickly moved on, LOL.

I can live with Hawk and Deejay--if you don't like 'em turn on the radio guys--I don't mind them at all.

Granted, now that Steve Stone is at ESPN he can take aim at whomever he wants--but that's 'cause he's not on the payroll any more.

HeGone15
05-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Gary Thorne was a Sox announcer???????

He is currently the ESPN hockey guy (as well as other sports). I love that guy! Are you telling me HE could be doing the Sox, rather than the current moron?

Matt

Maximo
05-02-2005, 04:27 PM

He is currently the ESPN hockey guy (as well as other sports). I love that guy! Are you telling me HE could be doing the Sox, rather than the current moron?

Matt

Yep.....the one and the same Gary Thorne.

NSSoxFan
05-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't get why some people don't like Hawk. Granted, he can be a bit of a 'homer' sometimes, but can't you also replace that word with 'loyal'? I mean, what's wrong with being loyal to the Sox, BUT at the same time speaking your mind during the broadcast. As much as Hawk can be overwhelmingly positive sometimes, he is critical at the same time. He openly criticizes Wee-Willie for not knowing how to steal bases, calls out players for not giving it 100%, and so on...

The only thing I hold against Hawk is driving out Wimpy.

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure how much it is being a genuine Sox fan, since we've seen so many obvious ways he kisses Uncle Jerry's behind, but if I was doing PBP about a team, I'd probably become a fan, it probably helps you to do the job better

oldcomiskey
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Yep.....the one and the same Gary Thorne.

and he and Frank Messer were so---whats the word......boring

gosox41
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't get why some people don't like Hawk. Granted, he can be a bit of a 'homer' sometimes, but can't you also replace that word with 'loyal'? I mean, what's wrong with being loyal to the Sox, BUT at the same time speaking your mind during the broadcast. As much as Hawk can be overwhelmingly positive sometimes, he is critical at the same time. He openly criticizes Wee-Willie for not knowing how to steal bases, calls out players for not giving it 100%, and so on...

The only thing I hold against Hawk is driving out Wimpy.

His cliches get old. You'd think by listening to him year in and year out that this team was the greatest thing since slice bread. Sure, he'll occastionally speak his mind but overall every player that pops out 'Just misses it.'

I'll also never forget his broad cast right after the WFT when he tried to rationalize it. Forgetting about whether you agree or disagree with the trade, I sat there shaking my head as I heard Hawk lie through his teeth. Knowing Hawks competitve personality I highly doubt deep down he agreed with the trade. But when JR says to put a spin on it, Hawk's the puppet to do it.

Bob

LongLiveFisk
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM
and he and Frank Messer were so---whats the word......boring

Aah..but Frank used to do his trademark :wink: at the start of each broadcast! :D:

Fenway
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Sad footnote to Hawk leaving WSBK.

When the Red Sox (Sullivan) decided to can Hawk for comments he had made about the boneheaded move to lose Fisk as a free agent, WSBK then had auditions to take Hawk's place.

Tony Conigliaro who by 1982 was a sportscaster at KGO-TV in San Francisco flew to Boston to audition with Ned Martin. He was offered the job on the spot.

An elated Conigliaro was then driven back to Logan Airport to prepare for his move east and had a heart attack (cocaine was suspected ) His brother who was driving made the crucial error of making a u-turn and heading back downtown instead of seeking help at the airport medical area. The damage had been done and Tony was a shell of a man for last 8 years of his life.

oldcomiskey
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
His cliches get old. You'd think by listening to him year in and year out that this team was the greatest thing since slice bread. Sure, he'll occastionally speak his mind but overall every player that pops out 'Just misses it.'

I'll also never forget his broad cast right after the WFT when he tried to rationalize it. Forgetting about whether you agree or disagree with the trade, I sat there shaking my head as I heard Hawk lie through his teeth. Knowing Hawks competitve personality I highly doubt deep down he agreed with the trade. But when JR says to put a spin on it, Hawk's the puppet to do it.

Bob

what is the WFT?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2005, 07:40 PM
what is the WFT?

White Flag Trade.

kojak
05-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Bob

So Hawk is a Company Man...I could think of a lot worse things...

Fenway
05-02-2005, 07:53 PM
So Hawk is a Company Man...I could think of a lot worse things...

He spoke his mind in Boston and got canned you seldom make the same mistake twice

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I think it's amusing that the most any of the Hawk defenders can say on behalf of their guy is how much worse it could be without him.

Well jeez, consider how much better it could be, too, and you only need to TURN ON YOUR RADIO to know exactly how much.

:cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
05-02-2005, 09:42 PM

Matt
Uh...Matt? Can I assume you're referring here to DJ rather than Hawk, considering you chose "HeGone15" for your user name? :?:

Epark84
05-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Hawk seems like a good guy, but I dont know if it is age or if DJ has just brought him down so badly, but he seems to be a shell of himself. I dont mind the fact that he is a homer, but after that oakland series I felt like i was watching a cubs broadcast all the bitching and moaning about umps. Rooney is the best though