PDA

View Full Version : Murph on WSCR is such a Sox hater it's funny

PatK
05-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Friday as I was driving home, I flipped on that abortion of a show with Rick Telander and Buffone and caught Murph halfway through a "Sox suck, Cubs rule " rant that was so delusional and misconstructed that Telander and Buffone couldn't stop laughing at him.

He was going crazy about how the media is unfair to Dusty because of him getting busted giving his number to a co-ed. Telander and Buffone responded about look at all the negative press Ozzie has gotten, especially after the Maggs incident, but Murph's counter was that Oz's criticism's were correct, because it was about baseball.

He continued to get laughed at, then brought up that the Cubs are in a tougher division, because it has six teams. Buffone pointed out that only two teams were over .500 in the NL Central, and that the Twins and Sox had better records than every team in the division, plus the NL Central had perenial league cellar dwellers the Pirates and Brewers.

Murph lost it and changed his rant that the American League is a much weaker league because it has less teams. At this point, I turned off because I was laughing so hard I thought I'd crash.

The funny thing was that he just couldn't come to admitting that the Sox are actually playing well and winning. Like they had absoluelty NOTHING to do with their record. It wasn't because of great pitching, good defense, and timely hitting was winning the ballgame, it was because of a "weak division" or "weak league" or "they haven't had injuries that others have had".

That guy is the epitome of the delusional Cub fan.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-02-2005, 01:27 PM
I agree that he is a dumb Cubs fan but he doesn't hate the Sox. At least on-air he doesn't. He always asks for Sox fans to call in and have their voice heard. He always says something about how much he likes Ozzie's managing style and how he would love to have someone like him on the Northside. And, he's getting it from Cub fans for blasting Dusty so much. He's been wanting him fired for about 2 weeks now.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Murph lost it and changed his rant that the American League is a much weaker league because it has less teams.

Weaker league because of fewer teams? Four emotiocons sum up my reaction nicely:

:roflmao:

:rolling:

:nuts:

:kukoo:

Oh yes, there is one more... Murph is a :dtroll:

Uncle_Patrick
05-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Murph is such a Cubs tool that he might as well work for WGN, except the guys on that station aren't real White Sox haters, at least on the air. He talks about the Sox because he has to. All this crap he says about the American League being weaker is just an excuse. This is the attitude of the unique brand of Cubs fan (and to be fair, they are not all like this) who tend to believe that the White Sox should not matter. The Sox could be 162-0 and sweep their way through the playoffs and World Series, and they'd have some excuse as to why its not a legitimate accomplishment, especially since the Cubs are struggling.

Murph = :whiner:

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Murph is such a Cubs tool that he might as well work for WGN, except the guys on that station aren't real White Sox haters, at least on the air. He talks about the Sox because he has to. All this crap he says about the American League being weaker is just an excuse. This is the attitude of the unique brand of Cubs fan (and to be fair, they are not all like this) who tend to believe that the White Sox should not matter. The Sox could be 162-0 and sweep their way through the playoffs and World Series, and they'd have some excuse as to why its not a legitimate accomplishment, especially since the Cubs are struggling.

Murph = :whiner:

You're right, Patrick. One of the very best baseball fans I know happens to be a Cubs fan. He's not the stereotypical bleating bleacher idiot. He actually can articulate an argument in favor of the NL being stronger than the AL, even though I think he is wrong. But Murphy is just a whining troll who can't stand it when the Sox outperform the Cubs.

Hangar18
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree that he is a dumb Cubs fan but he doesn't hate the Sox. At least on-air he doesn't. He always asks for Sox fans to call in and have their voice heard. He always says something about how much he likes Ozzie's managing style and how he would love to have someone like him on the Northside. And, he's getting it from Cub fans for blasting Dusty so much. He's been wanting him fired for about 2 weeks now.

Murph is horrible, hes every cub fan, except he has a microphone.
I remember him devoting MONTHS of his show towards getting Baylor fired.

Tekijawa
05-02-2005, 03:08 PM
He continued to get laughed at, then brought up that the Cubs are in a tougher division, because it has six teams. Buffone pointed out that only two teams were over .500 in the NL Central, and that the Twins and Sox had better records than every team in the division, plus the NL Central had perenial league cellar dwellers the Pirates and Brewers.

Murph lost it and changed his rant that the American League is a much weaker league because it has less teams. At this point, I turned off because I was laughing so hard I thought I'd crash.

So by his thought process Sox fans are better because there are less of us... I'd have to agree with him there!

Fredsox
05-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Murph is horrible, hes every cub fan, except he has a microphone.
I remember him devoting MONTHS of his show towards getting Baylor fired.

Cub fans "eat their young". As long as you're sucking up to them they'll defend you regardless of the truth. You can cork a bat or 'roid up, they'll still love you. As soon as they decide you're at fault for something they turn on you like a wolverine.

Murphy is an excellent example of this. He probably thought hiring Baker was the greatest move that would put the Cubs into the WS. Now he's leading the charge for his head by picking on his every game decision. He literally blames Baker for that relief pitcher screwing up his elbow. I'm sure he blames him for the physical issues that Carrie and the Messiah have had.

I'm thankful that he's a cub fan instead of a Sox fan.

maurice
05-02-2005, 03:27 PM
The NL is WAY better than the AL! Just look at last year's World Series!

Fake Chet Lemon
05-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I'll say this about Murph. His anti-Sox views are MUCH BETTER than they used to be. He's been far more fair to the Sox lately. Maybe management is making him because of the Sox fast start, be he now at least tries to do a nice Sox post game. Before he would just give the final score and keep talking Cubs.

PatK
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I wish I had it on tape, his rant was so bad, yet hilarious.

Buffone and Telander were just laughing at him telling him how irrational he was and how illogical his explanations were.

I was waiting for him to say something like there is a mathmatical formula that translates NL records into AL equivalents that PROVES the Cubs have a better record.

White Sox Randy
05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
just look at who wins interleague play every year - oops, that's the AL !

but atleast the NL always wins the All-Star game - no wait, that's the AL, too.

Well then, the NL must win the World Series every year. Uh no, again the AL !

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 05:42 PM
LOL, sometimes if you want a laugh you can just listen to Murph, I've heard people call him out on it, he plays along as if it's a joke.

LOL @ his argument too. I have always said that even if you say that the AL central is the worst division in the AL, you can never say that it is the worst division in the entire league, because:
1. You can't really compare the two

2. I have always said that the NL is weaker
What I do is look at the division leaders. Last year, you had the Cardinals, and anyone else was beatable.There's some good teams like the Braves and a some on the rise (Marlins have nice pitching), but I think there's more competing teams in the AL. The teams in the NL don't have to play the Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, unlike the AL Central, and I would rather face the NL bottom feeders than the AL ones. This is mostly my beliefs though, because you can't really compare them. All you have is interleague and the World Series, which are kind of short times to compare them and you never know when a team will be on a streak (but it was a little interesting to see the NL/ML best get swept and look lifeless doing it)

C-Dawg
05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
The funny thing was that he just couldn't come to admitting that the Sox are actually playing well and winning. Like they had absoluelty NOTHING to do with their record. It wasn't because of great pitching, good defense, and timely hitting was winning the ballgame, it was because of a "weak division" or "weak league" or "they haven't had injuries that others have had".

Remember in 1983, when the Sox won the AL West division by 20+ games - Cublovers everywhere were quick to complain that the AL West was "baseball's weakest division". I guess some things never change.

:?:

SpartanSoxFan
05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm confused...I thought J Hood was supposed to be on the Rick Telander show. Doesn't Murph have his own block of time to pollute the airwaves in the eveining???

slavko
05-02-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't think Murph hates the Sox. It's just that he loves the Cubs so much that all his thoughts revolve around them and many of those thoughts that he chooses to verbalize are negative. In fact, he is rarely negative about the Sox, possibly because the rarely talks about them.

samram
05-03-2005, 12:06 AM
The NL is WAY better than the AL! Just look at last year's World Series!

Well, of course, they won fewer games, so they must have been the better team!

ElevenUp
05-03-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm confused...I thought J Hood was supposed to be on the Rick Telander show. Doesn't Murph have his own block of time to pollute the airwaves in the eveining???

J Hood got the boot from weekdays. He now hosts his own weekend show. Now it's Telander, Buffone and Mike Mulligan (I think). The last few weeks on the Score when they transition from one show to the next they have the hosts talk to each other to help with transition. Murphy does have his own show (I think he was better when paired with Fred Hubner), and he was talking with Buffone and Telander during this "CrosstalK".

DrCrawdad
05-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Here's something to remember when Cubbie fans start this ludicrous talk of the AL being weaker than the NL. Ask them this question, in the last 51 years how many times have the Cubbies/Sox finished with 90 wins or more and NOT gone into the post-season?

Cubbies, once in 1969 when they won 92 games.
Sox, seven times.

1990, 94 wins
1977, 90 wins
1964, 98 wins
1963, 94 wins
1957, 90 wins
1955, 91 wins
1954, 94 wins

Amazingly, the Sox have won 94 wins or more and NOT gone into the post-season four times! And we hear endless moaning and whinning about the '69 Cubbies, BAH!

Dan H
05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
There is a reason Murph got switched from morning drive to evening. He is just a delusional Cub fan.

DMarte708
05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Last night, It was funny listening to Murph playback, and contest, callers from earlier in the day questioning Kerry Wood

A guy yesterday evening calls in to complain about Kerry Wood being a ".500 pitcher," and Murphy plays it back several hours later only to state his true record. Which is something like 67-50.

I've never heard anyone doing this before. What's funny is I can imagine Murph driving to work, completely aggitated someone on the air misrepresented his beloved Kerry Wood. He must have ordered his producer to roll back tape to find that one caller so any intelligent cub funs listening weren't to compile false impressions on "Kid K." :rolleyes:

He's always been a tool in my mind. I'll never forget last season in the final week when Murph said, on the air, he would NOT discuss White Sox baseball. Complete slap in the face. If roles were reversed, would it have been the same? Doubtful. Cubs callers will be screened in October, regardless of our position in the playoffs, because blame must be assessed on their team. They'll never escape Murph's attention. I doubt he could carry White Sox conversation for one day, let alone a week.

samram
05-03-2005, 05:22 PM
A guy yesterday evening calls in to complain about Kerry Wood being a ".500 pitcher," and Murphy plays it back several hours later only to state his true record. Which is something like 67-50.

Wow, it only took him seven years to win 67 games? Ace, that's all I can say.

MUScholar21
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Wow, it only took him seven years to win 67 games? Ace, that's all I can say.

Well, the way he rips off wins every season (constant 20-game winner), you would think he would have won more like 100.

seanpmurphy
05-07-2005, 04:52 AM
For the record, this Murphy doesn't hate the Sox. :smile:

hose
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
For the record, this Murphy doesn't hate the Sox. :smile:

But Murph hates Hangar.

When Murph had his morning show on the score he blew a gasket and called out Hangar by name.

"And I don't ever want to hear from Henry ***** again."

It was a classic radio moment.

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2005, 05:38 PM
J Hood got the boot from weekdays. He now hosts his own weekend show. Now it's Telander, Buffone and Mike Mulligan (I think). The last few weeks on the Score when they transition from one show to the next they have the hosts talk to each other to help with transition. Murphy does have his own show (I think he was better when paired with Fred Hubner), and he was talking with Buffone and Telander during this "CrosstalK".

Sadly,this makes me appreciate MJH all that much more.:(:

A.T. Money
05-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey does Hangar live in Beverly?

Bernstein mentioned the guy from Beverly who measures the column inches between the Sox and Cubs...lol.

Anyway, what's with Murphy? Not only are his thoughts crappy, but the way the guy talks irritates me. What with that voice? It sounds like he's trying to make his voice deeper but can't. I thought you needed a voice for radio...apparently not.