PDA

View Full Version : Juan Rincon Tests POSITIVE

NSSoxFan
05-02-2005, 12:22 PM
No wonder we have had difficulties against him...

Dirty Deeds (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8437604)

MeanFish
05-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Dirty Deeds (http://http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8437604)

Wow...that could be a big ouch for that ballclub.

wdelaney72
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Finally some good news.

Mickster
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I wonder if Nathan will be next. He was servicable in San Fran, gets traded to the Twinkies and now he's throwing 100mph? :?:

XplodingScorbord
05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Just off the AP Wire...

^BASEBALL SUSPENDS RINCON
^
NEW YORK (AP) _ MINNESOTA TWINS PITCHER JUAN RINCON IS LOOKING
AT A TEN-DAY SUSPENSION. BASEBALL IS BENCHING HIM FOR VIOLATION OF
THE GAME'S NEW POLICY ON PERFORMANCE-ENHANCING DRUGS. HE'S THE
FIFTH PLAYER TO BE SANCTIONED FOR BREAKING THE NEW GUIDELINES.
RINCON IS 2-AND-1 WITH A TWO-POINT-25 E-R-A IN 12 APPEARANCES
THIS SEASON. HE WAS 11-AND-6 WITH TWO SAVES AND A TWO-POINT-63
E-R-A IN 77 GAMES LAST SEASON.

Irishsox1
05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
All I can say is Wow!!! Rincon uses 'Roids....I would have never guessed it. But, 10 games isn't enough. If the NFL suspends you 4 games or 25% of the season, Rincon should be suspened around 41 games or as Bud wants 50 games. The guy's been a key pitcher for the Twins and all he gets is a slap on the wrist.

mweflen
05-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Sweet. Wonder what "Bat Girl" has to say about this...

Mickster
05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm sure he'll use the "supplement" excuse and state that he was unaware that he was taking anything illegal. I wish that they would disclose what they tested positive for and not just that they tested positive. I can assure you that every player that tests positive will blame supplements.

MisterB
05-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Dirty Deeds (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8437604)

Corrected link in quote.

Stroker Ace
05-02-2005, 12:53 PM
All I can say is Wow!!! Rincon uses 'Roids....I would have never guessed it. But, 10 games isn't enough. If the NFL suspends you 4 games or 25% of the season, Rincon should be suspened around 41 games or as Bud wants 50 games. The guy's been a key pitcher for the Twins and all he gets is a slap on the wrist.

Or why not ban him for 2 years like the IOC. 10 games is laughable.

JRIG
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Sweet. Wonder what "Bat Girl" has to say about this...

LOL!

I can see it now. A lego figure bent over....Johan Lego-man sticking a syringe in his backside. Good times...

I know that site is popular (I guess), but I find it incredibly stupid. This coming from a guy who still stomachs Aaron Gleeman's Twins ramblings on a daily basis.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Knowing the Twins luck, I'm sure they'll call up someone from Single A Podunk, Arkansas who'll come up and average two strike outs per inning.

Lip

MRKARNO
05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
That's a huge blow. Rincon is a vital part of their pen, arguably as important as Joe Nathan. Losing him for 10 days hurts the Twins in a big way as their bullpen is clearly weakened.

JoseCanseco6969
05-02-2005, 01:07 PM
10 games will hurt their pen, but I'm sure the Twinkies will be just fine. Only a 10 game suspension, on the other hand, is garbage!

I sure as hell hope Bud Selig's plan goes into effect ASAP. 50 games sounds about right, and I love the 3 strikes and you're out deal. Props to Bud on that. Wow, cant believe i just said props to that man.

The Racehorse
05-02-2005, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't characterize netting Rincon as 'reeling in Moby Dick'... but he's no guppy either. :cool:

JGarlandrules20
05-02-2005, 01:10 PM
In his 10IP against the sox last season his ERA was .087 with 12Ks.

:mad:

Flight #24
05-02-2005, 01:14 PM
FWIW, it's being discussed on bat-girl's comments area here (http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/000819.html#comments)
100% guaranteed that what'll happen is blaming of a poor testing regimen or that the policy doesn't allow for guys to "mistakenly" get banned substances via OTC supplements.

In other words, ignoring of the truth.

JRIG
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
FWIW, it's being discussed on bat-girl's comments area here (http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/000819.html#comments)
100% guaranteed that what'll happen is blaming of a poor testing regimen or that the policy doesn't allow for guys to "mistakenly" get banned substances via OTC supplements.

In other words, ignoring of the truth.

Man, that is the worst site in the world. It's like Star Trek fan-fiction. Who wants to read that crap?

(Answer: Twins fans)

spiffie
05-02-2005, 01:34 PM
The best part about the comments on the batgirl site is that they are desperately hoping for offenders to be found on the team that was willing to all voluntarily fail their tests last year in order to guarantee harsher testing. Doesn't sound like a group of guys with much to worry about.

BaseballTonyght
05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Wow. Just, wow.

dcb33
05-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Illegal performance enhancing substances, eh? I thought the Twins were experts on playing the game the right way and doing things the way they were supoosed to be done. So much for that baloney.

DMarte708
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
You sure did, buddy.

Enjoy your time off.

:?:

Anyways, BatGirl's fans and coherts appear to believe this is some sort of wide ranging conspiracy against their beloved Minnesota Twins. It must be an error! How can "Boo" do this?

whitesoxwilkes
05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
:?:

Anyways, BatGirl's fans and coherts appear to believe this is some sort of wide ranging conspiracy against their beloved Minnesota Twins. It must be an error? How can "Boo" do this?

No confusion here.

We hate trolls at WSI. If one of our members goes and trolls somewhere else, they're no better than the trolls who invade our site...and are dealt with in the same fashion.

But yeah, the tinfoil talk over there about a vast conspiracy is kinda crazy.

:bandance:

Shorty1983
05-02-2005, 02:20 PM
http://www.ravens24x7.com/images/apollo.jpg

Look it's KW on steriods. :smile:

Jjav829
05-02-2005, 02:26 PM
LOL!

I can see it now. A lego figure bent over....Johan Lego-man sticking a syringe in his backside. Good times...

I know that site is popular (I guess), but I find it incredibly stupid. This coming from a guy who still stomachs Aaron Gleeman's Twins ramblings on a daily basis.

You're not the only one. That site is awful....Smash your head into the wall so you don't have to remember what you saw, type awful.

SSN721
05-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I am rather suprised, of anyone on the Twins I would suspect, Rincon would be at the bottom of the list. It is a shame that we dont already have a harsh policy, like the one proposed by Selig this week. I also am curious as to what exactly the substance was, is there really much else on the list other then steroid or steroid related enhancers? If you name the player I dont see why you cant name the substance.

ma-gaga
05-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Knowing the Twins luck, I'm sure they'll call up someone from Single A Podunk, Arkansas who'll come up and average two strike outs per inning.

No they'll just throw out Terry Mullholland into late game situations which would be a mistake. Hopefully they'll unleash Jesse Crain. He's a good pitcher. But knowing Gardenhire's tendancies, they'll just promote JC Romero to uber setup guy. So, 7th = Crain, 8th = Romero, and 9th = Nathan.

I'm shocked that Juan Rincon was on something. He's the quiet guy sitting in the corner. I don't think he's ever said anything, ever. :(: bah. He's a just a reliever. A damn good one, but just a relief pitcher. I'm more worried about the 'chemestry' crap that this causes. pfffft.

munchman33
05-02-2005, 02:50 PM
No they'll just throw out Terry Mullholland into late game situations which would be a mistake. Hopefully they'll unleash Jesse Crain. He's a good pitcher. But knowing Gardenhire's tendancies, they'll just promote JC Romero to uber setup guy. So, 7th = Crain, 8th = Romero, and 9th = Nathan.

I'm shocked that Juan Rincon was on something. He's the quiet guy sitting in the corner. I don't think he's ever said anything, ever. :(: bah. He's a just a reliever. A damn good one, but just a relief pitcher. I'm more worried about the 'chemestry' crap that this causes. pfffft.

Props to you ma-gaga for not trying to sugar coat the truth. I can't believe there are people out there who don't believe in the validity of these tests.

buehrle4cy05
05-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Rincon is the first decent player to be suspended for roids. It will be interesting to see how he fares after he comes back from this, and to see what Gardenhire does to his position in the bullpen. Knowing the Twins though, they'll call up some bum from the minors and then he will succeed wiht the club...***ing Twins.

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Uh oh, spaghetti os, the first big name (well, big to us, some are still saying this is a small name) with this testing policy, and if it would've been Bud's new policy, their pen would be in a tad of trouble. I hope the rest of the fans don't overlook this, I want him to hear it. Giambi and Sanchez were cheered at home, and I don't think people care enough about Sanchez to boo him on the road. This provides great material for then the Twins come to the Cell tho!

EDIT: Also, nice to see a pitcher caught, with all the focus being on the offense. Big Frank was right!

Soxzilla
05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Soon we'll get to see how classy of an organization the Twins have, as well as their fans.

If people cheer this cheat, like they cheered Giambi in NY, I'm going to hurl.

ma-gaga
05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Props to you ma-gaga for not trying to sugar coat the truth. I can't believe there are people out there who don't believe in the validity of these tests.

I'd love to pretend this doesn't matter, but it does. This kills the chemistry, and the "us against the world" glue that holds the clubhouse together. This could be a crack that derails the team.

Soon we'll get to see how classy of an organization the Twins have, as well as their fans.

I want to say something about glass houses and rocks. If you read the story, you'll know that the Twins have already called up a replacement player to take his place, and have issued a "no comment" type statement. It's all an organization can do. Anything else will exacerbate the problem. The Twins organization doesn't tend to do this self-destructive behaivor.

The player's agent will fight against the ban. That's his blood sucking job. Not the teams. Unfortunately most people won't see or care about the difference.

bah. (and I was in a grumpy mood before lunch)

Soxzilla
05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I'd love to pretend this doesn't matter, but it does. This kills the chemistry, and the "us against the world" glue that holds the clubhouse together. This could be a crack that derails the team.

I want to say something about glass houses and rocks. If you read the story, you'll know that the Twins have already called up a replacement player to take his place, and have issued a "no comment" type statement. It's all an organization can do. Anything else will exacerbate the problem. The Twins organization doesn't tend to do this self-destructive behaivor.

The player's agent will fight against the ban. That's his blood sucking job. Not the teams. Unfortunately most people won't see or care about the difference.

bah. (and I was in a grumpy mood before lunch)

Heh. Well I know that if I ran an organization like the Twins, and I knew for a fact that Juan was abusing the steroid policy knowingly, I'd kick his ass to the curb. But that's just me, I wouldn't tolerate cheats on my team.

And I hope Gardenhire will set him straight when he comes back, and not baby the player. That's more along the lines of where I was getting at, I realize that an agent will do whatever, and deny whatever in order to make sure is talent seems like an angel and gets back on the field to make more money.:smile:

Iwritecode
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
No confusion here.

We hate trolls at WSI. If one of our members goes and trolls somewhere else, they're no better than the trolls who invade our site...and are dealt with in the same fashion.

But yeah, the tinfoil talk over there about a vast conspiracy is kinda crazy.

:bandance:

I remember your post the first time that site was mentioned around here. I can see why you acted so swiftly. :cool:

Hint: If any of you feel you must troll other boards, do it on the MLB or ESPN boards. That's pretty much all their good for anyway. :wink:

Karl
05-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow, I am shocked and disappointed in Rincon. He would have been one of the last players I would have suspected. I hope that he will get his act together and knock this crap off.

Karl
05-02-2005, 04:22 PM

If people cheer this cheat, like they cheered Giambi in NY, I'm going to hurl.

I think that most teams and fans would support one of there players in a situation like this. Can you honestly tell me if this was a Sox pitcher that Sox fans wouldn't support him?

NSSoxFan
05-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I think that most teams and fans would support one of there players in a situation like this. Can you honestly tell me if this was a Sox pitcher that Sox fans wouldn't support him?

Yes. I can honestly say I would not support a cheater.

Flight #24
05-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Looks like we've discovered the Twins "player development" secret!!!!

munchman33
05-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes. I can honestly say I would not support a cheater.

Ditto.

JUribe1989
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Well there you have it. The Twins are now dirty rotten cheaters. Torii Hunter plays dirty, Ron Gardenhire bitches at the umps all the time, and Juan Rincon IS A CHEATER!!! This is even worse because how could some people still be this stupid even after a policy was made.

Jjav829
05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
This provides great material for then the Twins come to the Cell tho!

I wonder what 30,000+ fans chanting "Chea-ter! Chea-ter! Chea-ter!" sounds like. I hope we find out the next time Rincon takes the mound against the Sox at the Cell. :D:

White Sox Josh
05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Please let this happen to Joe Nathan and Johan Santana.:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I remember your post the first time that site was mentioned around here. I can see why you acted so swiftly. :cool:

Hint: If any of you feel you must troll other boards, do it on the MLB or ESPN boards. That's pretty much all their good for anyway. :wink:
Trolling elsewhere, especially if you're going to identify yourself as a Sox fan, is major uncool. Further the perception that Sox fans are intelligent baseball fans, not a bunch of louts.

JUribe1989
05-02-2005, 04:53 PM
The Cheaters of The AL Central son los Twinkies!
:hawk
"Your 2005 Chicago White Sox are brought to you by U.S. Cellular. On the opposing side, the visiting Minnesota Twins are brought to you by Hostess and BALCO's Minneapolis chapter."

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Trolling elsewhere, especially if you're going to identify yourself as a Sox fan, is major uncool. Further the perception that Sox fans are intelligent baseball fans, not a bunch of louts.

But if you absolutely HAVE to, DON'T come back to WSI and brag about it, period.

SluggersAway
05-02-2005, 04:54 PM
A site that continuously uses the term "Bitch Sox" for the team and its fans is definitely asking for trouble. Not saying it is right, but you do tend to reap what you sow.

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Well there you have it. The Twins are now dirty rotten cheaters. Torii Hunter plays dirty, Ron Gardenhire bitches at the umps all the time, and Juan Rincon IS A CHEATER!!! This is even worse because how could some people still be this stupid even after a policy was made.

Don't forget about the blowing fan story!

I don't want to copy, but the Red Sox chant of Jason Giambi was funny, "You-Used-Ster-oids-clap clap-clap clap clap"

RKMeibalane
05-02-2005, 05:00 PM

There are a fair number of athletes who think that they're invincible, that nothing will ever happen to them. Juan Rincon probably thought he would never get caught. Now, he knows that he was wrong.

Iwritecode
05-02-2005, 05:14 PM

That's why you pull a "boog" and don't let on which team you actually root for... :wink:

Seriously though, I haven't "trolled" any boards for years. I've found that it can actually be enjoyable to get the perspective of another team's fans. That only happens when you play nice with them...

But if you absolutely HAVE to, DON'T come back to WSI and brag about it, period.

:cool:

Iwritecode
05-02-2005, 05:16 PM
A site that continuously uses the term "Bitch Sox" for the team and its fans is definitely asking for trouble. Not saying it is right, but you do tend to reap what you sow.

Oh come on. You've seen how trolls get treated here. Would you expect any different from another privately run site?

SluggersAway
05-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Trolls get treated differently here because the owner and most users don't act like trolls.

Baby Fisk
05-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Trolls get treated differently here because the owner and most users don't act like trolls.

The entire "What's The Score" forum seems to have been created for folks here to blow off steam and release their "inner troll" without doing too much harm.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 05:38 PM
But if you absolutely HAVE to, DON'T come back to WSI and brag about it, period. Uh oh sounds like we know voodoo's guilty pleasure now, be on the lookout on other AL Central boards for voodoochilluns trolling. Maybe even voodoochilluns1, voodoochilluns2, voodoochilluns3 and voodoochilluns4 on the tiggers board.

Soxzilla
05-02-2005, 05:39 PM

I definitely wouldn't support him. He gives a bad name to not only the organization but his fellow mates, and basically puts a blemish on anything said team has accomplished with him on the roster.

If anyone on the Sox got caught using roids I would boo the crap out of them.

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Uh oh sounds like we know voodoo's guilty pleasure now, be on the lookout on other AL Central boards for voodoochilluns trolling. Maybe even voodoochilluns1, voodoochilluns2, voodoochilluns3 and voodoochilluns4 on the tiggers board.

Gave it up in 2001... but 2000 was a fun year... well maybe not for the Toons' fans on the ESPN boards. :D:

To this day there are people on that site who will not speak to me.

Oh well...

The point is that everytime someone trolls and runs back to WSI to brag about it, it invites trolls to come here which adds to the work of the mods and admins who run this site and makes it harder to actually enjoy the cool reasons it exists.

T-Bone
05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-drugs-twins

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Minnesota Twins (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/min/) pitcher Juan Rincon (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6676/), who emerged last season as one of baseball's top setup men, became the highest-profile violator of Major League Baseball's new policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Mark Buehrle
05-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I heard about that. It's great, because he's the Twins' best setup man, and that's a big loss for them. We can gain even more on them now.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Any chance of that 50 game suspension for first time users getting approved and applied to this? :smile:

Risk
05-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Any chance of that 50 game suspension for first time users getting approved and applied to this? :smile:

No. I think the union still needs to approve the proposal for the tougher penalties and have it written into the current collective bargaining agreement.

Risk

Mark Buehrle
05-02-2005, 07:18 PM

I wish man, I was thinking along those same lines...

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Normally, when a player is suspended by the league, the team does not get to replace him on the roster while he serves his suspension. Does anyone know if the same applies to these suspensions?

HomeFish
05-02-2005, 09:21 PM
So, who else is looking forward to having fun with this next time when the Twins come to town?

Maybe I'll buy my tickets next to the visitor's bullpen now.

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Normally, when a player is suspended by the league, the team does not get to replace him on the roster while he serves his suspension. Does anyone know if the same applies to these suspensions?

Yeah, I was just thinking of that, like you said, suspensions don't allow replacements, but the article said they are calling someone up to replace him, why should these work differently? If so, Bud dropped the ball there

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 09:55 PM

That's interesting. Does baseball have any suspensions as lengthy as these are?

No one gets suspended for long periods of time in baseball like in other sports, so I wonder how they will handle this. For example, the Pacers were allowed to do whatever they wanted when they lost 3 guys for most of the season.

I don't think you can do that in baseball. You would decimatea team's pitching staff if they lost two relievers.

SluggersAway
05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
I think that is the point Voodoo, players would have to act like professionals and actually be mindful of the concept of a team.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
That's interesting. Does baseball have any suspensions as lengthy as these are?

No one gets suspended for long periods of time in baseball like in other sports, so I wonder how they will handle this. For example, the Pacers were allowed to do whatever they wanted when they lost 3 guys for most of the season.

I don't think you can do that in baseball. You would decimatea team's pitching staff if they lost two relievers.Tampa Bay and Boston players were suspended for up to six games recently. They don't get to replace them. I seem to recall others up to 7-8 games. I believe in some cases teams have been allowed to stagger the suspensions when multiple suspensions were given (Sox-Tigers brawl in 2000?).

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Tampa Bay and Boston players were suspended for up to six games recently. They don't get to replace them. I seem to recall others up to 7-8 games. I believe in some cases teams have been allowed to stagger the suspensions when multiple suspensions were given (Sox-Tigers brawl in 2000?).

Interesting and now that I think about it, very true. I wonder how they will deal with it if Bud's proposal goes through, not that I expect it to. I doubt the union agrees to that long of a suspension for a first offense.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Interesting and now that I think about it, very true. I wonder how they will deal with it if Bud's proposal goes through, not that I expect it to. I doubt the union agrees to that long of a suspension for a first offense.As Rocklive pointed out above, it appears that they are allowed to replace players suspended for substance violations. The article says they're bringing up someone, so I guess these suspensions are treated differently.

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 10:14 PM
As Rocklive pointed out above, it appears that they are allowed to replace players suspended for substance violations. The article says they're bringing up someone, so I guess these suspensions are treated differently.

I can't remember the last time a MLB player got busted for drugs. Seems to happen all the time in football. Maybe it is just the way the news is handeled.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I can't remember the last time a MLB player got busted for drugs. Seems to happen all the time in football. Maybe it is just the way the news is handeled.Baseball players are smarter than football players.

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Baseball players are smarter than football players.

Yeah... that's it... I'm sure... right... nothing to see here, move along, move along...

Maybe the NFL just has a better testing system.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't almost ALL NFL players attend at least a few years of college?

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah... that's it... I'm sure... right... nothing to see here, move along, move along...

Maybe the NFL just has a better testing system.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't almost ALL NFL players attend at least a few years of college?Well, they attend, all right. But I wouldn't necessarily draw conclusions about their intelligence from that.:(:

It just seems to me that you see a lot more football players get busted for goofy stuff. Many of the drug busts of football players had nothing to do with the league testing. As you said, it's been a long time since there's been a MLB player busted. Maybe baseball players are just more discreet.

Flight #24
05-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Man, the support from Twins nation for this has gone way way beyond ludicrous. The consensus is basically "there's probably something wrong with the testing process, and in any case, even if he DID actually test positive, it's because he took something without knowing it. Probably because he got something in his home country and it didn't label all the ingredients, in which case - does the punishment really fit the crime?". In some cases, that sentiment is expressed right alongside "I slammed Bonds & Giambi because they're cheaters", but supposedly Rincon is different.

Someone please tell me that Sox fans aren't this ludicrously blind. Please. Honestly, I have no idea if Rincon juiced or not - but I do know that any testing program that doesn't put the onus on the player to monitor what they take in is bound for failure. It's too easy to take something otherwise, then go get some benadryl and say "hey, I made an honest mistake".

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure how I'd respond if it were a Sox player, depends on the player, but I sure am glad we got rid of Marvin Benard before he could step foot in the Cell

chisoxmike
05-03-2005, 12:33 AM
I wonder what 30,000+ fans chanting "Chea-ter! Chea-ter! Chea-ter!" sounds like. I hope we find out the next time Rincon takes the mound against the Sox at the Cell. :D:

I can't wait... I'll start the steriods chant. Who's with me?

Steriods... Steriods... Steriods!

Ha, I can see it now!

ode to veeck
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2051595

The evil Twinks are a bunch of cheaters as uncovered by baseball's strict new drug policy

ode to veeck
05-03-2005, 10:29 AM
sorry didn't see the original thread ...

slavko
05-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Seeing that fat-faced head shot of Rincon in the newspaper story today was eerily similar to other fat-faced players who have suddenly slimmed down this year. Two of them play in the same division as the Sox. One is now on the DL.

gkerry
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
The evil Twinks are a bunch of cheaters as uncovered by baseball's strict new drug policy

Hi there,

That seems like a pretty wide brush, don't you think? If Marte got suspended for substance abuse, would you think that all Sox were "a bunch of cheaters"?

SOX ADDICT '73
05-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Seeing that fat-faced head shot of Rincon in the newspaper story today was eerily similar to other fat-faced players who have suddenly slimmed down this year. Two of them play in the same division as the Sox. One is now on the DL.
And don't forget they share a certain agent with high moral standards and unquestioned integrity...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2772&stc=1
"Who's this guy talking about?"

:maggs
"Beats me."

:borass:
"Hey boys, can we do that thing where we put all of our money into a big pile and swim around in it?"

BlackAndWhite
05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
From MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036826&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)

Rincon's statement:
"I want to take this time to thank the Twins organization, the fans and the general public for all of the support they have offered me while dealing with this situation. Baseball is my life and I was devastated after becoming aware that I tested positive for a violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The details are confidential and I have asked the Player's Association to challenge the suspension. "What I can share with you today is that I would never knowingly compromise my position within Major League Baseball or jeopardize my relationship with the Minnesota Twins organization or the relationships that I enjoy with my teammates.

"I will make no further comments, or answer any questions, until the process plays out in its entirety. However, I will add that I look forward to returning to the field to continue pitching to the best of my ability to help the Twins organization win its fourth consecutive division title."

voodoochile
05-03-2005, 06:09 PM
From MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050503&content_id=1036826&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min)

Rincon's statement:

Translation:

":whiner: I didn't do it. No really... I didn't do it... I mean I did, but not like they say I did. I don't deserve to be treated like every other guy who screwed up, because like I said... I didn't do it...:whiner::whiner::whiner: "

Loser...

DSpivack
05-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Posts on this thread have been saying 10 games...
I believe it is not 10 games but 10 days.

Karl
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Call me a homer, but I actually belive Rincon.

voodoochile
05-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Call me a homer, but I actually belive Rincon.

Okay, Homer...

Yep and people still believe Jim Miller here in Chicago.

It doesn't matter how it entered his system.

If he took a banned substance knowingly, he deserves to be suspended.

If he took it unknowingly than he still deserves to be suspended because ignorance is no excuse. If MLB allows him to get off by pleading ignorance, then every other guy who subsequently tests positive will say the same thing.

In short order, the policy won't be worth the electrons appearing on you screen as you read my post...

LincolnSquareOz
05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Sorry folks, but I tend to agree with Big Papi. It's no coincidence that it's all Latin players that are getting busted. Did he take something illegal? Guaranteed. Was he fully debriefed on what is good and bad by MLB? Hard to say. Sounds like way too much grey area.

ma-gaga
05-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Best case scenario, Rincon's an idiot and took something that his trainer gave him. Maybe Papi is right, but it still doesn't excuse Rincon.

This was a non-statement press release; truly annoying.

Again, I'm shocked it was Rincon, but suspend him. 10 days. pfft. that's only 9 games. :cool: No wonder Bud wants his updated policy pushed thru. I still don't get how the Twins are able to call up someone from the minors. They must get a roster exemption similar to the 60 day DL. If any CBA experts can shed the light on this, I'd be appreciative.

DMarte708
05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Sorry folks, but I tend to agree with Big Papi. It's no coincidence that it's all Latin players that are getting busted. Did he take something illegal? Guaranteed. Was he fully debriefed on what is good and bad by MLB? Hard to say. Sounds like way too much grey area.

Latin Americans make up the largest percentage of all players. It's not too much of a coicidence to me.

Let's please stop forcing this ignorance card and projecting Rincon as unaware of recent steroid policies inacted by MLB. Whether he was unaware, he still injected himself with an illegal substance. No, "It wasn't illegal when he may used," or "Venezuela doesn't have strict laws," or " language berrier made it difficult" excuses.

Doesn't Rincon have an agent who tells him these sort of important issues? Or a working televsion, recently updated newspaper? This isn't a small company rule change we're talking about here. It's steroids; an topic which led to the unprecedented move of opening a CBA.

Babe The Blue Ox
05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Best case scenario, Rincon's an idiot and took something that his trainer gave him. Maybe Papi is right, but it still doesn't excuse Rincon.

This was a non-statement press release; truly annoying.

Again, I'm shocked it was Rincon, but suspend him. 10 days. pfft. that's only 9 games. :cool: No wonder Bud wants his updated policy pushed thru. I still don't get how the Twins are able to call up someone from the minors. They must get a roster exemption similar to the 60 day DL. If any CBA experts can shed the light on this, I'd be appreciative.

They may move Grant Balfour off the 40-man roster to the 60-day DL so that they can bring up Scott Baker. Actually, I believe they only had 38 on their 40-man when Balfour is/was on it