PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Literature

Knockoutinthepar
05-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I want to read more about the Sox, but run across so many books that I can't decide where to begin (unfortunately, I don't have time to read them all just yet).

Any suggestions? what are your favorites? Rare gems? WS Bibles? Anti-Cub reading welcomed too.

Brian26
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM
The White Sox Encyclopedia and "Who's On Third?" are a nice place to start. "The Illustrated White Sox Story" is decent too.

HITMEN OF 77
05-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Start with the White Sox Encylopedia, excellent book. I new one might be in the works this fall. Also pick up Dan H's books, there an excellent read as well.

mike squires
05-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree with the Encyclopedia. I wish it was updated. IT's fun to read about all the players. I was in a book store the other day and came across 8 books on display relating to the Cubs. I don't know where you looked but I find very little on th Sox. Cub/Cardinal material is all over the place...

HITMEN OF 77
05-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I agree with the Encyclopedia. I wish it was updated.

I've talked with the publisher of the Encylopedia and one might be in the works within the next year. They have done about 3 or 4 Phillies encyclopedia's the past 10 years (that's where the books are made and the publishers are) The guys who did the first Sox encyclopedia are ready to update and do another, with new photos, updated information etc etc. Who knows we may get a new one, I'll keep everyone updated.

White Sox Josh
05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I like White Sox: The Illustrated Story. It has some awesome pictures and info.

SouthSideSid
05-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Eliot Asinof's "Eight Men Out" is a great read. Not the finest moment in White Sox history - but a great look at what may have been the best Sox squad ever.
Until this year's.

OKCidiot
05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I like White Sox: The Illustrated Story. It has some awesome pictures and info.

This is AWESOME! It's basically a 1997 update of THE WHITE SOX: A PICTORIAL HISTORY (from 1982). Towards the end of the book, there's a wonderful tribute to Nellie Fox, who at that time had (FINALLY!!!) been elected to his rightful place in Cooperstown.

MikeSquires is right, though... there's precious little on the shelves at Borders and Barnes and Noble about the Sox... last time I was home I stopped at the Borders in Orland Park and found three Sox books among the multitudes of Cubs/Wrigley Field propaganda. Apparently the publishers don't believe that we Sox fans are literate... that's the only reasoning I can come up with (however faulty it is in all actuality). The only one I didn't have was the new Ron Kittle book, TALES FROM THE WHITE SOX DUGOUT, so I picked it up. I also ordered a copy of THE WHITE SOX FAN'S LITTLE BOOK OF WISDOM from Amazon.com recently, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Happy reading!!!

batmanZoSo
05-02-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned after scanning the thread, but Through Hope and Despair by Dan Helpingstine (aka Dan H at this site I believe) is a really good Sox book. Basically recounts everything that happened with the team the last several decades through a fan's eyes. I reccomend it especially for any Sox fan 25 or younger so you can read all that you missed--not much...:wink: At least you'll be thankful you haven't suffered that much yet. :yup:

White Sox Josh
05-02-2005, 08:17 PM
This is AWESOME! It's basically a 1997 update of THE WHITE SOX: A PICTORIAL HISTORY (from 1982). Towards the end of the book, there's a wonderful tribute to Nellie Fox, who at that time had (FINALLY!!!) been elected to his rightful place in Cooperstown.Yeah and Big Frank has does the forward to that book.

gobears1987
05-02-2005, 08:18 PM
a good book is "Strength up the Middle" It's about the 1959 Go Go Sox.

C-Dawg
05-02-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned after scanning the thread, but Through Hope and Despair by Dan Helpingstine (aka Dan H at this site I believe) is a really good Sox book.

Yep, its a good book; I just got a copy at Soxfest and found it to be good reading. Nice to get the fan's eye view of the earlier years I was too young to remember.

And, hey, how about that - I've seen Dan H here on WSI but never realized he was the same guy who wrote the book. Small world I guess. :smile:

WagMan
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
A nice pickup is "The White Sox Fans' Little Book of Wisdom" by Paul Whitfield. It's a good place to start. Not too big and not too heavy.

OKCidiot
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
A nice pickup is "The White Sox Fans' Little Book of Wisdom" by Paul Whitfield. It's a good place to start. Not too big and not too heavy.

Was glad to see one of those issued... after all that Cub fan propagandist from South Bend has already had several editions of "The Cub Fan's Little Book of Wisdom" published, among other literary works suitable for a bonfire.

chisox117
05-02-2005, 09:47 PM
"Stealing First in a Two Team Town" by Rich Lindberg is an interesting look at the history of the Sox. It explores the various Sox ownerships and offers a lot of detail on the front office and management from the Comiskeys to Riensdorf. Itís a great read!

:gulp:

HITMEN OF 77
05-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I don't think this has been mentioned after scanning the thread, but Through Hope and Despair by Dan Helpingstine (aka Dan H at this site I believe)

Sure don't even read the 3rd post in this thread and take all glory :D:

Baby Fisk
05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Some titles for your collection:

Team Histories

Through Hope and Despair: A Fan's Memories of the Chicago White Sox, 1967-1997 - Dan Helpingstine, 2001.

Chicago White Sox: 1959 and Beyond - Dan Helpingstine, 2004.

Baseball, Chicago Style: A Tale of Two Teams, One City - Jerome Holtzman and George Vass, 2001.

Stealing First in a Two-Team Town: The White Sox From Comiskey to Reinsdorf - Richard Lindberg, 1994.

The White Sox Encyclopedia - Richard C. Lindberg, 1997.

The White Sox Fan's Little Book of Wisdom - Paul Whitfield, 2004.

World Championships Era (1906, 1917)

The 1917 White Sox: Their World Championship Season - Warren N. Wilbert and William C. Hageman, 2004.

Black Sox Era (1919-1920)

Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series - Eliot Asinof, 1963.

The 1919 World Series: What Really Happened? - William A. Cook, 2001.

Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball - Harry Frommer, 1992.

Say it Ain't So, Joe! - Donald Gropman, 1979.

Saying It's So: A Cultural History of the Black Sox Scandal - Daniel A. Nathan, 2003.

Go-Go Sox Era (1950s-1960s)

The Go-Go Chicago White Sox - David Condon, 1960.

'59 Summer of the Sox: The Year the World Series Came to Chicago - Bob Vanderburg, 1999.

Minnie and the Mick: The Go-Go White Sox Challenge the Fabled Yankee Dynasty, 1951 to 1964 - Bob Vanderburg, 1996.

Winning Ugly Era (1983-1984)

Ron Kittle's Tales From the White Sox Dugout - Ron Kittle, 2005.

Miracle on 35th Street: Winnin' Ugly With the 1983 White Sox - Bob Logan, 1984.

Biographies

Crash: The Life and Times of Dick Allen - Dick Allen and Tim Whittaker, 1989.

"Commy": The Life Story of Charles A. Comiskey - Gustav Axelson, 1919.

Shoeless Summer: The Summer of 1923, When Shoeless Joe Jackson Played Baseball in Americus, Georgia - John Bell, 2001.

Bill Veeck: A Baseball Legend - Gerald Eskanazi, 1988.

Just Call Me Minnie: My Six Decades in Baseball - Minnie Minoso and Herb Fagan, 1994.

The Ginger Kid: The Buck Weaver Story - Irving M. Stein, 1992.

Veeck as in Wreck - Bill Veeck and Ed Linn, 1965.

Fiction (about or includes the Sox)

Blue Ruin: A Novel of the 1919 World Series - Brendan Boyd, 1991.

You Know Me Al - Ring Lardner, 1914.

Shoeless Joe - W.P. Kinsella, 1982.

Shadow Ball: A Novel of Baseball and Chicago - Peter M. Rutkoff, 2001.

Malgar 12
05-03-2005, 08:58 AM
a good book is "Strength up the Middle" It's about the 1959 Go Go Sox.

I got it for my old man for Father's Day a couple of years ago. He loved it.

irish rover
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
"Stealing First in a Two Team Town" by Rich Lindberg is an interesting look at the history of the Sox. It explores the various Sox ownerships and offers a lot of detail on the front office and management from the Comiskeys to Riensdorf. Itís a great read!

:gulp:

I agree, it also goes into detail of the biasness against the sox from day 1

Another good book(my fav) is My Baseball Diary by James T. Farrell. Farrell is a famous novelist, from chicago, who wrote about the south side Irish and his most famous works were the Studs Lonigan trilogy. It is an excellent book that combines fiction and nonfiction first hand accounts(including the 1906 WS, Comiskey Park and his feelings on the 1919 team). He also talks about his friendship with Buck Weaver. It talks about Cobb, Ruth, McCuddy's and adds a couple of fiction chapters taken from his Studs Lonigan trilogy

Wsoxmike59
05-06-2005, 06:17 AM
I want to read more about the Sox, but run across so many books that I can't decide where to begin (unfortunately, I don't have time to read them all just yet).

Any suggestions? what are your favorites? Rare gems? WS Bibles? Anti-Cub reading welcomed too.

You can't go wrong with anything written by Dan Helpinstine, Rich Lindberg, or Bob Vanderberg. If you live in the Chicagoland south suburban area you can check out a wealth of White Sox related materials here.

http://swan.sls.lib.il.us/

Some of the best Sox books that I've read and actively reccommend.

1) Through Hope & Despair by Dan Helpinstine
2) White Sox Encyclopedia R. Lindberg
3) Eight Men Out E. Asinof
4) Sox from Lane to Fain and Zisk to Fisk B. Vanderberg
5) Minnie and the Mick B Vanderberg
6) '59 Summer of the Sox B Vanderberg
7) Lil Nel the Nellie Fox Story Gough & Bard
8) The White Sox Illustrated History
9) Stealing First In A Two Team Town R Lindberg
10) Just Call Me Minnie (my 6 decades in baseball) M. Minoso

And sure to make its' way on to the list......
1959 and Beyond * D. Helpinstine

* I bought this one at Soxfest, and is next up on my summer reading list

chisoxfan64
05-06-2005, 05:38 PM
After reading this post a couple of days ago, it reminded me that I needed to pick up Kittles book. So i went to Barnes and Noble and was disgusted by the fact that there were 25-30 books on the Scrubs and only 3 for the Sox. Only 2 copies of Kittles book on the shelf.