PDA

View Full Version : Performace Enhancing Contact Lenses?

soxfan26
05-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Orioles 2B Brian Roberts and Reds closer Danny Graves are among the professional athletes giving the new lenses (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3559064?GT1=6444)a try.

Seven years in the making by Nike and Bausch & Lomb, the lenses which will be known in the retail world as MaxSight are so new they have made their way only into a few major league clubhouses so far.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Orioles 2B Brian Roberts and Reds closer Danny Graves are among the professional athletes giving the new lenses (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3559064?GT1=6444)a try. I saw that article last week, don't know how I feel about that. Seems like they're not much different than tinted sunglasses though.

MeanFish
05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I saw that article last week, don't know how I feel about that. Seems like they're not much different than tinted sunglasses though.

I just think they're cool looking. If I had to put them somewhere on the scandalometer, with ten being human growth hormone and one being baseball cleats, I'd probably put them at a 4, right there with performance-enhancing rosin bags that are simply acknowledged as a part of the game.

Irishsox1
05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
There is a big difference between wearing contact lenses, sunglasses, laser eye surgery and steroids. Contacts, sunglasses and laser eye surgery are not against the law and they don't destroy your body for all we know. Anyone can use these contacts, just like anyone can use Frank Thomas' bat, but good luck having similar results.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Irish:

Point of clarification. Until this year steroids in MLB weren't illegal either and during the late 80's / 90's I don't think they were in violation of federal law either.

Lip

Mickster
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Irish:

Point of clarification. Until this year steroids in MLB weren't illegal either and during the late 80's / 90's I don't think they were in violation of federal law either.

Lip

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 made them a Class III controlled substance. Many state laws held them to be illegal prior to 1990 as well.

Irishsox1
05-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Irish:

Lip

My main point was short term baseball success isn't worth the long term damage steroids can do to the human body. A vast majority of steroid users children are born with defects, the biggest being the swimmers from East Germany.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 03:58 PM
I just think they're cool looking. If I had to put them somewhere on the scandalometer, with ten being human growth hormone and one being baseball cleats, I'd probably put them at a 4, right there with performance-enhancing rosin bags that are simply acknowledged as a part of the game.These go a bit beyond rosin bags. It's true that, theoretically, all hitters can use them and thus none would be at any disadvantage, but that's quite a bit of an unfair advantage being given to hitters as a whole. May need to raise the mounds a couple inches.

White Sox Josh
05-02-2005, 05:12 PM
I wonder if Balco will start making those. Seriously though I read that story in Sporting News. It's a cool read.