PDA

View Full Version : Why so many hit batsmen?

soxtalker
05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Why have there been so many WS batters hit lately? I realize that we have the best record, but we also have a team that has a low overall batting average and few players who are hitting well. So, I don't see the motivation of opposing pitchers. Hawk made a comment in the Saturday night game, IIRC, that he thought our batters weren't getting out of the way. Any thoughts?

mweflen
05-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Maybe it's because all of our players have been trained to dive in fron of pitches like Joe "The New Don Baylor" Crede.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-02-2005, 11:46 AM
As I said in another thread:

Not to say teams aren't throwing at us - clearly Konkerko was thrown at yesterday, but a lot of our guys are simply being retarted when it comes to getting hit. Especially the other night when Crede and Rowand got hit - they must not have been seeing the ball well at all. They both started their hands on pitches that had no chance of being strikes, and they weren't able to get out of the way - Crede got hit on the wrist and Rowand in the stomach. We could reduce injuries if we were just a bit smarter (seeing the ball better) at the plate and took those off the tricep instead.

We've got guys walking into the ball a bit too much.

seanpmurphy
05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe our guys like the feel of ball-on-body contact.:smile:

MIgrenade
05-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Crede got hit, not because he is a dumb hitter, but because, as Hawk mentioned, hitters have to follow curveballs longer and can drop over the plate. In the act of following the pitch he got hit. This could be a cover for Crede diving into the pitch but I'm not Crede. I am happy Garland threw at White and I am REALLY happy the umps let it go like they should. Not only is Garland dominating right now, but he is protecting his players.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Crede got hit, not because he is a dumb hitter, but because, as Hawk mentioned, hitters have to follow curveballs longer and can drop over the plate. In the act of following the pitch he got hit. This could be a cover for Crede diving into the pitch but I'm not Crede. I am happy Garland threw at White and I am REALLY happy the umps let it go like they should. Not only is Garland dominating right now, but he is protecting his players.

I am not sure which game you are referring to, but you are correct in that a guy has to stay in longer to see a curve break, but he also has to keep his hands back. He isn't going to hit it fair with his hands leaking forward, and he opens himself up to getting hit on the wrist like he has done a couple of times.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I think it was Bill Melton talking about this yesterday. He said along the lines of 'batters today get so comfortable in the box that they simply don't react quick enough and take a dive when a pitch is inside. They just seem to think, 'OK, breaking ball....it's gonna break, it's gonna break...uh oh!' he said back in the day batters NEVER got comfortable in the box especially when facing pitchers like Don Drysdale or Bob Gibson.

He also said that out of the eight or nine batters hit this week he thought only one was being thrown at. He declined to say which one.

Lip

Paulwny
05-02-2005, 01:13 PM
he said back in the day batters NEVER got comfortable in the box especially when facing pitchers like Don Drysdale or Bob Gibson.
Lip

No matter who the pitcher was, "back in the day", if a batter dug a hole in the batter's box with his back foot, that was an invtation to be thrown at and all pitchers answered the invitation.

Foulke29
05-02-2005, 01:19 PM

Amen brother - and it showed. When a pitcher steps up for his team mates like Garland did by throwing at White, his team mates back him up by hitting. Is that 8-0 score our largest margin of victory this year?

PatK
05-02-2005, 02:12 PM
No matter who the pitcher was, "back in the day", if a batter dug a hole in the batter's box with his back foot, that was an invtation to be thrown at and all pitchers answered the invitation.

Amen to that!:bandance:

Although Roger Clemens is best guy I can think of today that lets you know the inside part of the plate is his.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Are hit batsman factored into on-base-percentage calculations? If not, they should be. Our low walk numbers won't look as bad.