PDA

View Full Version : Aubrey Huff?

Spicoli
05-02-2005, 10:09 AM
I heard that the devil Rays may look to unload Aubrey Huff. If so, I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Sox. He hits for average and power, but most importantly he is a utility player who has played 1st, 3rd, LF and RF. I'm not sure if we have what it takes to trade for him, but it would be nice if we could get him to help our anemic offense.

Joosh
05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I wonder if they'll take Adkins and Dye?

The team is fine the way it is. Don't mess with Chemistry.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:52 AM
It's very likely there will be a hole to fill mid-season, either because of injury or because someone is not performing. It's also likely those holes won't be in the same place they are today. Let's sit tight for now. We don't want any premature tradeulation.:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2005, 11:08 AM
When Frank returns, it will be like acquiring a bat. If upon his return the offense still stinks, they still will have the money to add another bat. Huff looks like a guy who would fit well. A left-handed bat who can play multiple positions. Huff is signed through 2006, so if the Sox acquired him this year, he could play 1B if Paulie departed via free agency. Because Huff's a left-handed hitter, they also could let Everett walk (since he's never as good during years when he's not playing for a new contract) and promote Anderson to play right field. If that happened, the Sox payroll actually would decline and they could pick up Frank Thomas' 2006 option.

However, the Rays would start negotiations by asking for Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson. It will be KW's job to talk them down to Joe Borchard and John Adkins.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I heard that the devil Rays may look to unload Aubrey Huff. If so, I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Sox. He hits for average and power, but most importantly he is a utility player who has played 1st, 3rd, LF and RF. I'm not sure if we have what it takes to trade for him, but it would be nice if we could get him to help our anemic offense.

The last time I checked, Aubrey Huff was the D-Rays' best player, and an All Star-calliber third baseman. Utility player, my ass.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 03:42 PM
The last time I checked, Aubrey Huff was the D-Rays' best player, and an All Star-calliber third baseman. Utility player, my ass. Wow you've got a utility player for your ass? Really? Cuz let the sox know, because with the injuries they could use one. Oh and you better go check again because I JUST checked and Aubrey Huff hasn't played a game at 3rd base this entire year.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh and you better go check again because I JUST checked and Aubrey Huff hasn't played a game at 3rd base this entire year.

Fair enough. I made a mistake. Having said that, classifying an individual who posts All Star numbers as a "utility player" is ridiculous. Aubrey Huff is the best hitter that Tampa has. Prior to last season, the Cardinals moved Albert Pujols all over the field because they needed to use him at multiple positions. Does that mean he's a utility player, too?

santo=dorf
05-02-2005, 04:21 PM
The Red Sox, Cubs, Nationals and several other teams are waiting on Tampa Bay to see if Aubrey Huff (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6545) will become available.
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2051224)
The Red Sox aren't like the Yankees because they don't try to cherry pick the best players from lesser teams. (Let alone divisional rivals.) :angry:

Spicoli
05-02-2005, 04:26 PM
The last time I checked, Aubrey Huff was the D-Rays' best player, and an All Star-calliber third baseman. Utility player, my ass.

Umm, that was meant to demonstrate that he has versitility. You don't need to school me about baseball; I know plenty about Huff. Sometimes context helps in understanding what one reads.

Spicoli
05-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh and you better go check again because I JUST checked and Aubrey Huff hasn't played a game at 3rd base this entire year.

This year. Last year he played 87 games at 3rd, more than any other position. He was brought up through the minor leagues as a third baseman.