PDA

View Full Version : The best thing Garland did yesterday...

lowesox
05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
...was throw behind Rondell White. And I say that, despite an incredible start. The sox are just far too battered to be letting other teams drill their players. I thought this was huge after they threw at Konerko.

I think many would agree that the turning point last season was when Hunter took a cheapshot at our catcher and nobody reciprocated. From now on, I think it should be an eye for an eye.

Anybody out there who questions Garland intensity should re-consider based on what he did yesterday.

JRIG
05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
...was throw behind Rondell White. And I say that, despite an incredible start. The sox are just far too battered to be letting other teams drill their players. I thought this was huge after they threw at Konerko.

I think many would agree that the turning point last season was when Hunter took a cheapshot at our catcher and nobody reciprocated. From now on, I think it should be an eye for an eye.

Anybody out there who questions Garland intensity should re-consider based on what he did yesterday.

For as much crap as Garland got, I never got the impression he was afraid to pitch inside. Remember a couple years ago when he hit Meinkeivitch and nearly started a brawl? I was at that game. My first bench-clearing incident.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
I completely agree. And to top it off, he made White look ugly at the plate the rest of the game.

I thought the sound effects of a baby crying while White was complaining and then after the game were perfect touches. Who ever is doing the music/sound effects needs a pat on the back. I have been to 5 games this year (including yesterday's), and they have been perfectly done!

wdelaney72
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
The best thing Garland did...

WIN.

I could care less about bean-ball.

lowesox
05-02-2005, 10:07 AM

WIN.

I could care less about bean-ball.

Believe me, I'm not in it to see a bench clearing brawl either. But throwing at their guys does two things:

1) Sends a message out - if you throw at us, prepare to be thrown at. Which, should help reduce injuries.

2) Unites this team.

Those two things will result in wins.

HITMEN OF 77
05-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Believe me, I'm not in it to see a bench clearing brawl either. But throwing at their guys does two things:

1) Sends a message out - if you throw at us, prepare to be thrown at. Which, should help reduce injuries.

2) Unites this team.

Those two things will result in wins.

And by doing those 2 things, it can lead to a W.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:11 AM

WIN.

I could care less about bean-ball.Obviously, winning is always #1. But the Sox hitters have been getting hammered for the last week. Buzzing White was the perfect response: he sent the message without hitting him (or putting him on base).

ND_Sox_Fan
05-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Which, should help reduce injuries.

Not to say teams aren't throwing at us - clearly Konkerko was thrown at yesterday, but a lot of our guys are simply being retarted when it comes to getting hit. Especially the other night when Crede and Rowand got hit - they must not have been seeing the ball well at all. They both started their hands on pitches that had no chance of being strikes, and they weren't able to get out of the way - Crede got hit on the wrist and Rowand in the stomach. We could reduce injuries if we were just a bit smarter (seeing the ball better) at the plate and took those off the tricep instead.

wdelaney72
05-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I just don't want to see one of our pitchers get thrown out for throwing at someone. We need our starters on the mound.

I agree, we've been taking a beating at the plate, and the umpiring at Oakland was disgraceful. I still think Jon's 4 hit shutout combined with us scoring 8 big ones sends a much stronger message than beaning people.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 10:29 AM
I just don't want to see one of our pitchers get thrown out for throwing at someone. We need our starters on the mound.

I agree, we've been taking a beating at the plate, and the umpiring at Oakland was disgraceful. I still think Jon's 4 hit shutout combined with us scoring 8 big ones sends a much stronger message than beaning people.The game was pretty much in hand by that point. And I don't know what White was beefing about. He threw it behind him. If he'd wanted to hit him, he'd have hit him.

I still recall a game a couple of years ago that Bartolo Colon pitched against the Twins (?) in which he was cruising to a GC SO win and he plunked someone in retaliation and got tossed in the 8th inning. I'm sure he would have liked to complete the game, but he did what he had to do to protect his teammates. He got a standing O as he left the game.

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Obviously, winning is always #1. But the Sox hitters have been getting hammered for the last week. Buzzing White was the perfect response: he sent the message without hitting him (or putting him on base).

Yep. JG has never been afraid to pitch inside and he used to tag guys when he would get frustrated. I even predicted it a couple of times. One time the camera caught him smirking afterwards.

What he did to White was great no only because it sent the message the Sox needed to send, but because it got inside of White's head. The next pitch was perfect. It wasn't even that good of a sinker that actually hit the ground before the mitt, but White was going to swing at anything and he did. That is good pitching because it includes a much better awareness of the mental aspects of the game.

wdelaney72
05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
The game was pretty much in hand by that point. And I don't know what White was beefing about. He threw it behind him. If he'd wanted to hit him, he'd have hit him.

I still recall a game a couple of years ago that Bartolo Colon pitched against the Twins (?) in which he was cruising to a GC SO win and he plunked someone in retaliation and got tossed in the 8th inning. I'm sure he would have liked to complete the game, but he did what he had to do to protect his teammates. He got a standing O as he left the game.

Good pont.

ondafarm
05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Yep. JG has never been afraid to pitch inside and he used to tag guys when he would get frustrated. I even predicted it a couple of times. One time the camera caught him smirking afterwards.

What he did to White was great no only because it sent the message the Sox needed to send, but because it got inside of White's head. The next pitch was perfect. It wasn't even that good of a sinker that actually hit the ground before the mitt, but White was going to swing at anything and he did. That is good pitching because it includes a much better awareness of the mental aspects of the game.

Dust 'em off and then make 'em chase always worked for me. Of course, you have to dust some guys off two pitches in a row.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 10:56 AM

What he did to White was great no only because it sent the message the Sox needed to send, but because it got inside of White's head. The next pitch was perfect. It wasn't even that good of a sinker that actually hit the ground before the mitt, but White was going to swing at anything and he did. That is good pitching because it includes a much better awareness of the mental aspects of the game. Hahahah, he was still in white's head the next at bat. White didn't know what was coming. I think that because it was Garland, it was so far behind him, and the overall sox attitude of , "What Bitch" after it happened, got in the head of the entire tigger team.

seanpmurphy
05-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Anyone else think Garland walked that one batter on purpose in the 9th just so White would be the last out? Just to make him feel bad one more time. It was also fitting he struck him out. Ha.

DaleJRFan
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
The thing that bothered me was Widger took WAY TOO LONG to jump between White and Garland. Not to rip Widger... I didn't think he expected it, but... gotta protect the pitcher.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 12:30 PM
The thing that bothered me was Widger took WAY TOO LONG to jump between White and Garland. Not to rip Widger... I didn't think he expected it, but... gotta protect the pitcher.No need. White was all bark and no bite. I don't know who that performance was meant to impress, but it looked pretty ridiculous to me.

maurice
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I was sure he'd throw at White after the Meinsckrewzawoozitz Incident. It occurred shortly after Dougie told the press that MLB should take the All-Star Game away from the Cell. First AB, Garland plunks Dougie, who hits the dirt and eventually limps his way to 1B. The crowd at the Cell goes nuts. Second AB, half the crowd is yelling "hit him again!" Garland hits him again. The ump immediately tossed Garland, but the crowd was pleased with his performance.
:gulp:

AJPosguchi
05-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Yes! He walked him on purpose so he could strike out White... THAT was the best thing he did ALL game.

faneidde
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
The thing that bothered me was Widger took WAY TOO LONG to jump between White and Garland. Not to rip Widger... I didn't think he expected it, but... gotta protect the pitcher.
I don't think he knew it was coming either. If I recall, he was set-up on the outside part of the plate. Guess Big John just missed is spot. :bandance:

mealfred13
05-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Anyone else think Garland walked that one batter on purpose in the 9th just so White would be the last out? Just to make him feel bad one more time. It was also fitting he struck him out. Ha.

Hahah, I doubt it. But the way he's been pitching I wouldn't put it past him.

My favorite part was when White started coming toward the plate, Jon took a few steps forward and just stood there staring right at him with a "*** are you gonna do" look. White may be bigger, but I get the feeling Jon would have tore him a new one if he decided to take it further.