PDA

View Full Version : Dispersal of Players

dougs78
11-06-2001, 12:59 PM
From Espn.com

As for the Expos, plans are underway for Loria to select a handful of players -- three major players and five from the minor leagues, indicate some reports -- to go to Florida.

Well this sure does suck. I can hardly see how its fair for this to happen....becuase I'm sure that Henry then buys the Angels and also takes the players with him there. Well, the problem there is Marlins lose 8 and gain 8, while the Angels just gain 8...

Maybe he can buy the White Sox instead and bring Beckett, CJ and Dempster with him......now that would be fair!

:)

Joel Perez
11-06-2001, 01:03 PM
How soon would it be before we learn anything from this contraction issue? Just asking.

I guess the major players in the contraction issue are the Expos, Marlins, Twins, and the Devil Rays--all the teams that don't draw. It would be interesting to see what the Sox would get in a dispersal draft if that was to occur.

dougs78
11-06-2001, 01:10 PM
they are saying as soon as tomorrow there could be word on it. I could give you the details, but its proably easier just to go strait to the horses mouth on espn.com....its all over the front page. they have answers to lots of questions.

Vsahajpal
11-06-2001, 01:46 PM
this plan makes no sense to me. I think Loria should buy out Pohlad, and then Florida and Montreal should contract.

But why the hell should Anaheim get Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Brad Penny, AJ Burnett and Ryan Dempster?

There's no way 23 owners would allow that to happen.

Bmr31
11-06-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
this plan makes no sense to me. I think Loria should buy out Pohlad, and then Florida and Montreal should contract.

But why the hell should Anaheim get Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Brad Penny, AJ Burnett and Ryan Dempster?

lets get vidro and move ray to CF, where he belongs....

Paulwny
11-06-2001, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

lets get vidro and move ray to CF, where he belongs....

I like it.

Iwritecode
11-06-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Just think how the M's and A's feel. The last-place Rangers get replaced by the WS champs and the Angels get 8 good players. That division would get a lot tougher.

dougs78
11-06-2001, 03:28 PM
Vsahajpal:

I know i totally agree, whats the point of all this switching? it would seem that 1) montreal will not have baseball next year 2) Marlins can't contract becuase of fears of Jeb Bush's "connections" to fight it 3) Disney wants to sell the Angels 4) Loria wants to sell the expos, but buy a new team (WHY?) 5) the Twins need a new stadium

Wouldn't it be more logical then to

a) contract the angels and move the expos to anaheim as they are
and either...

b) Contract the Twins

b) Contract teh D-rays and let their owner by the twins from Pohland (if they can get a new stadium) and stay there.

It sure makes sense to me...but i guess thats why it can't happen....god forbid that baseball would follow logic or do anything that made sense.

Iwritecode
11-06-2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

I know i totally agree, whats the point of all this switching? it would seem that 1) montreal will not have baseball next year 2) Marlins can't contract becuase of fears of Jeb Bush's "connections" to fight it 3) Disney wants to sell the Angels 4) Loria wants to sell the expos, but buy a new team (WHY?) 5) the Twins need a new stadium

Wouldn't it be more logical then to

a) contract the angels and move the expos to anaheim as they are
and either...

b) Contract the Twins

b) Contract teh D-rays and let their owner by the twins from Pohland (if they can get a new stadium) and stay there.

It sure makes sense to me...but i guess thats why it can't happen....god forbid that baseball would follow logic or do anything that made sense.

They are trying to contract the Expos because they are a Canadian team. US laws don't affect them quite the same way.

dougs78
11-06-2001, 03:38 PM
They are trying to contract the Expos because they are a Canadian team. US laws don't affect them quite the same way...

yes i understand that, but really whats the difference between contracting and moving if you take all the players? I'm saying if they are going to do all this switching of players etc...then why not "contract" the expos organization but then let loria buy the Angels and take all his players...then dispersing the angels??? The "Angels" as a business entity will never be dissolved, but yet in reality their players will be gone.

obviously I am not an expert in business law, but this seems pretty intuitive to me. Obviously it must not be that easy or they would have it on espn, instead of some message board.

but the whole thing is just weird....i don't like the "taking players with" deal...i mean why arbitrarily stop at taking 3 players? is this some fantasy baseball "keeper" league?