PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to RFK Stadium?

Baby Fisk
05-02-2005, 09:21 AM
On TV, it doesn't look so impressive. A typical big bowl from the 60s (I think the ESPN guys said it was the very first of the multi-purpose cookie cutter stadiums). It looks very green at field level, but the seats are red & gold. A nice touch is bringing back the big clock behind the CF wall, but all those names on the "wall of fame" look cheezy. Has anyone been to a game there yet?

The Racehorse
05-02-2005, 11:14 AM
On TV, it doesn't look so impressive. A typical big bowl from the 60s (I think the ESPN guys said it was the very first of the multi-purpose cookie cutter stadiums). It looks very green at field level, but the seats are red & gold. A nice touch is bringing back the big clock behind the CF wall, but all those names on the "wall of fame" look cheezy. Has anyone been to a game there yet?

I was there last night, and have been to four games total [so far]. I haven't been to RFK for anything prior to seeing the Nats this year and I can only compare that against visiting a half dozen other MLB stadiums I've been to through the years [so far].

With that said, RFK isn't to bad, imo. The sight lines in the lower bowl are good, though I have to admit that my vantage point is at field level in section 102, row 1. I agree with the overwhelming feeling of 'green' everytime I glance to the outfield because of the wall you mentioned.

Last night was especially fun for me because I had a tough day that seemed headed for disaster... before leaving, I emptied my pockets except for money and my metro smartrip card to take the train in to the stadium from the 'burbs. Driving from central VA, the traffic heading north on I-95 was stop and go due to volume, so I was easily going to miss the first pitch. Once traffic opened up, I stomped on it only to get stopped for speeding. And you guessed it, I didn't bring my drivers license! Despite everything, the Baseball Gods smiled on me because I was let off with a warning [YES!] ... at the game, I sat next to a guy [my age] and his Mom. She was a Senators fan from way back and was explaining to me how she got in some MLB's executive's fanny for them not selling score cards at the stadium :cool: . Her son is ex-USAF like me and a Paramedic [I'm studying to be an EMT] ... I then caught a foul ball hit by Cliff Floyd after it ricocheted down from the UD behind me, bouncing right down the aisle to me [everyone that went for it in front of me cancelled each other out]... I also bumped into a guy I originally saw Friday night who was wearing early 70s SOX gear [I was donning my custom made SOX hat last night and my blue Van Gogh SOX hat Friday night]. I talked with him for a couple of minutes. Friday night I asked him if he cruised WSI, and he said no but is friends with one of the Mods here. He then asked if I was part of PHG's crew and if I wrote SOX stuff along with Torn Labrum [mentioning them both by name]. I explained that I'm a just a member who does the reading, not the writing :redface: ... while all this was going on, I enjoyed the hell out of glancing to the scoreboard everytime they showed the SOX & Twins finals... and when I went home, I had the old cruise control set on 65 mph.

Baby Fisk, sorry for the long winded response, but it was therapeutic...

... I haven't gone near the food at RFK, and 16 oz bottled beer is $6.00. It's been a pretty good experience so far... maybe others can give you a different perspective.

whitesoxwilkes
05-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I also bumped into a guy I originally saw Friday night who was wearing early 70s SOX gear [I was donning my custom made SOX hat last night and my blue Van Gohg SOX hat Friday night]. I talked with him for a couple of minutes. Friday night I asked him if he cruised WSI, and he said no but is friends with one of the Mods here. He then asked if I was part of PHG's crew and if I wrote SOX stuff along with Torn Labrum [mentioning them both by name]. I explained that I'm a just a member who does the reading, not the writing :redface: ... while all this was going on, I enjoyed the hell out of glancing to the scoreboard everytime they showed the SOX & Twins finals... and when I went home, I had the old cruise control set on 65 mph.

You met The Donald. Congrats!

:bandance:

Fenway
05-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I was there in 1969 for a game between the Senators and the Pilots

RFK and the old Atlanta Fulton Stadium were "twins" much like Three Rivers and Riverfront a decade later.

elrod
05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
I was there last night, and have been to four games total [so far]. I haven't been to RFK for anything prior to seeing the Nats this year and I can only compare that against visiting a half dozen other MLB stadiums I've been to through the years [so far].

With that said, RFK isn't to bad, imo. The sight lines in the lower bowl are good, though I have to admit that my vanage point is at field level in section 102, row 1. I agree with the overwhelming feeling of 'green' everytime I glance to the outfield because of the wall you mentioned.

Last night was especially fun for me because I had a tough day that seemed headed for disaster... before leaving, I emptied my pockets except for money and my metro smartrip card to take the train in to the stadium from the 'burbs. Driving from central VA, the traffic heading north on I-95 was stop and go due to volume, so I was easily going to miss the first pitch. Once traffic opened up, I stomped on it only to get stopped for speeding. And you guessed it, I didn't bring my drivers license! Despite everything, the Baseball Gods smiled on me because I was let off with a warning [YES!] ... at the game, I sat next to a guy [my age] and his Mom. She was a Senators fan from way back and was explaining to me how she got in some MLB's executive's fanny for them not selling score cards at the stadium :cool: . Her son was ex-USAF like me and a Paramedic [I'm studying to be an EMT] ... I then caught a foul ball hit by Cliff Floyd after it ricocheted down from the UD behind me, bouncing right down the aisle to me [everyone that went for it in front of me cancelled each other out]... I also bumped into a guy I originally saw Friday night who was wearing early 70s SOX gear [I was donning my custom made SOX hat last night and my blue Van Gohg SOX hat Friday night]. I talked with him for a couple of minutes. Friday night I asked him if he cruised WSI, and he said no but is friends with one of the Mods here. He then asked if I was part of PHG's crew and if I wrote SOX stuff along with Torn Labrum [mentioning them both by name]. I explained that I'm a just a member who does the reading, not the writing :redface: ... while all this was going on, I enjoyed the hell out of glancing to the scoreboard everytime they showed the SOX & Twins finals... and when I went home, I had the old cruise control set on 65 mph.

Baby Fisk, sorry for the long winded response, but it was therapeutic...

... I haven't gone near the food at RFK, and 16 oz bottled beer is $6.00. It's been a pretty good experience so far... maybe others can give you a different perspective.

Wow, that's great to hear. I'm wearing one of my three Nationals shirts right now and I'm so excited to go to RFK in July when I visit my parents. I got to see the Nats in Florida before their first home game (lost to Beckett).

I've been to several DC United games at RFK but that's it. I never saw the Skins there, though I've been to Fedex Field a bunch of times.

I love RFK. It's a cookie-cutter, for sure, but when the stands bounce, it's unbelievable.

mjharrison72
05-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I've been to two games so far, and I have to say it definitely has a "makeshift" feel to it. I watched both from the upper deck, which wasn't too bad, though you can get some UD seats that would really put you far from the action. Best part, I think, is that there are lots of $10 seats available at the box office, which makes going to the game on a whim pretty easy to do.

Food is not that great, but I wasn't expecting much, and the subway station can really stack up after the end of the game... we left before the end of Friday night's game to avoid the crowd.

All in all, though, I have to say it's a pretty amazing thing to be watching MLB in Washington... it's something special, I think, something that really belongs, and I recommend if you can't make a pilgramage to RFK, then schedule a DC trip for three years from now to see them in the new stadium.

wilburaga
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM

The one game I saw there was the 1969 All Star game. My lasting impression of the park was its sogginess since it had rained cats and dogs the day before forcing the game's postponement.

W

Fenway
05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
from 1969
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/rfk2.jpg

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/rfkbaseball.jpg

http://www.thepostcard.com/walt/sports/stadiums/sm523.gifhttp://www.thepostcard.com/walt/sports/stadiums/sm530.gif

delben91
05-02-2005, 03:04 PM

I'll be making the trip "home" in August to see the Nationals face off against the Cardinals. Figures that my first summer living somewhere other than D.C. and the city finally manages to get a team. So back I go, to see baseball back where it belongs. I can't wait!

White Sox Josh
05-02-2005, 04:14 PM
No but it looks like a decent stadium. I can't wait till they have the new stadium.

gobears1987
05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
HOw are they drawing? I hope they can draw a ton of fans and keep a good winning franchise there.

delben91
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
HOw are they drawing? I hope they can draw a ton of fans and keep a good winning franchise there.

They averaged just over 30K/game in April with hopes that that'll pick up once school is out and tourists start flooding DC in the summer.

DC Sox Fan
05-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Yes, they have been drawing pretty well. The Mutts in town this weekend meant a good draw, including 40k+ on Saturday nite. The scary thing is that the next big draw will be the evil blue corporation... I WILL be there for those games wearing my Sox hat :cool:

RFK is an old dump, but they fixed it up pretty nice. Site lines are pretty good, except in the upper deck. The way its built, the upper deck is very steep and close to the field, so deep flies aren't visible. The 3rd base line stands, which are movable for soccer/old football configuration bounce when the place gets rowdy, which is an amazing thing to see.

The team is drawing well considering they have a budget of $0 for promotion and limited TV exposure (thanks to Havana Pete Angelos). They will do well this season- I predict 2.8 mil this season, and a slight falloff next 2 years before the new park opens and attendance explodes.

DC Sox Fan
05-02-2005, 08:43 PM
PS- I have some pix from opening nite, which I posted to another thread, HERE:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radekmf/album?.dir=cd79&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radekmf/my_photos

Hopefully that'll give u some insight as to what "the Bobby" looks like in person!

batmanZoSo
05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
What a horrible stadium. You have nothing but upper deck seats in the outfield and a 40 foot drop to the fence. It would be weird to sit there, you couldn't see half the outfield.

Truthfully, I didn't know this place still existed until April. I thought it had one too many Tibetan Freedom concerts.

The Racehorse
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
You met The Donald. Congrats!

:bandance:

Thanks... He's was a super nice guy to me... some folks don't particular care for strangers to simply walk up to them and start a conversation, but The Donald was very cool to me as we chatted for a few minutes. :cool:

:)

The Racehorse
05-02-2005, 10:54 PM
The scary thing is that the next big draw will be the evil blue corporation... I WILL be there for those games wearing my Sox hat :cool:

I'll be there that Sunday for sure, possibly Saturday and probably not Friday night... I'll DEFINITELY be sporting my SOX cap [probably my blue Van Gogh cap :cool: ]

mjharrison72
05-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Yes, they have been drawing pretty well. The Mutts in town this weekend meant a good draw, including 40k+ on Saturday nite. The scary thing is that the next big draw will be the evil blue corporation... I WILL be there for those games wearing my Sox hat :cool:

I'll be there Saturday against the Flubs, rockin' my '83 SOX hat.

Hitmen77
05-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I was there in 1969 for a game between the Senators and the Pilots

The who vs. the what? Just kidding - :redface: