PDA

View Full Version : Anything I need to know? about the Red Line

Church Turtle
05-02-2005, 05:53 AM
I'm going to my first SOX game via the train. In trips past I've driven, but that's not an option this week. Does anyone have advice about riding the red line. Thanks in advance.

jabrch
05-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Bring your gun - that's a dangerous train...

Seriously - no advice needed. Easy ride from the loop. Safe, fast... Plenty of peanut vendors between the L and the park. Enjoy the games - and bring home a White Sox Winner!

hose
05-02-2005, 06:21 AM
get off at 35th street.:wink:

cubhater
05-02-2005, 06:54 AM
get off at 35th street.:wink:

It's SOX/35th. :cool:

bluestar
05-02-2005, 07:42 AM
With one exception, I have always taken the train. I think it is much easier and more convenient than fighting the vehicle traffic. There are always fellow Sox fans on board.

I'm very impatient and hate waiting in line. One thing I do if there is a huge crowd waiting for the train back into the city after the game: I take the next available train away from the city. Get off at the next stop, and then get back on going toward the city. I don't know that it saves any significant time, but at least you aren't just standing around waiting. Plus, you can usually get a seat this way.

elrod
05-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Another thing you can do if the Red Line is too packed after the game is take the Green Line a block past the Red Line. It's much less crowded and it takes you right downtown.

SoxFan78
05-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Don't add money on to your cta card after the game. You will get much quicker if you put money on your card before the game.

Goose
05-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Not sure where you are getting on the Red, but if it somewhere close to Downtown, then I suggest stopping off for a couple f sodas at Rock Bottom Brewery (Grand Stop) or if closer to the Loop, then Gov'nors which is at Lake and State. The Washington Stop is at Washington and State.

GO SOX

34 Inch Stick
05-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Don't sit on any wet seats (especially if it isn't raining).

LVSoxFan
05-02-2005, 09:23 AM
They're right about avoiding the crush by walking East a few block to the Green Line; I've done that as well and it works like a charm.

Although sometimes we just wait a half hour or more afterwards down in the bullpen bar or at Jimbo's before heading back.

Sad
05-02-2005, 09:33 AM
With one exception, I have always taken the train. I think it is much easier and more convenient than fighting the vehicle traffic. There are always fellow Sox fans on board.

I'm very impatient and hate waiting in line. One thing I do if there is a huge crowd waiting for the train back into the city after the game: I take the next available train away from the city. Get off at the next stop, and then get back on going toward the city. I don't know that it saves any significant time, but at least you aren't just standing around waiting. Plus, you can usually get a seat this way.

or, walk down to the North entrance to the platform... is it Wentworth? I forget now... just did this Sat... anyway the cattle drive is on the other side and you can get right down to the platform.

Just make sure your CTA card already has the $1.75 on it as there are no vending machines on this end & only 1 turnstyle.

mweflen
05-02-2005, 09:50 AM
YES YES YES - the advice above is more valuable than gold. PUT $3.50 ON YOUR CARD BEFORE YOU COME DOWN TO 35th!!!!

There are always two "Bus" fare machines added to the normal turnstiles on either side - these are usually quicker to go through, because everyone ignores them.

Walk all the way down when you get to the platform. The head car both ways is always the best and usually the least packed. No need to clog the platform just past the stairway with all the other Noobs.

Green Line is a good option if you are going downtown or are getting on the Brown Line eventually. You can transfer to Blue line at Clark&Lake, or to the Brown Line/Orange Line at any Loop stop. I've also heard tell you can get the Red Line at Roosevelt, though why you would do this is beyond me.

If you don't want tickets or peanuts, just put your head down and keep walking. Those scalpers and vendors are NUTS. Avoid anyone with a stack of newspapers like the PLAGUE. They will totally get in your face.

Enjoy the game and use the $14 you saved on something nice! :D:

havelj
05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
When going TO the game - try to get to the front (south) end of the platform and get closest to the front car of the train. When you get off the train, the stairs/escalators are at the far south end of the SOX/35th platform.

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Don't add money on to your cta card after the game. You will get much quicker if you put money on your card before the game.

This is the key point. Make sure you have enough on the card for a round trip. The lines at the turnstyles are long enough without having to wait in line at the card machines.

SSN721
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
When leaving the game, always walk as far north on the platform as you can, always seem to find the emptier cars in the front of the train. Put enough money on your card for the round trip before the game. If the crowd is over 20K, unless there is a fireworks night, you are probably better off taking the green line which is about 4 blocks east, just east of the IIT campus. It is mostly empty, but might have to wait longer for the train as it isnt as heavily used. can transfer to any other line once you get in the loop from the green line.

skottyj242
05-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I've got a few tidbits of actual advice on the red line besides just where to stand...No booze, don't smoke on the platform...I've gotten tickets for both of these a couple of years ago.

DumpJerry
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
All the advice given is what I would tell you. Take the front car headed there (if you're on a southbound train from downtown, rear car if northbound towards downtown), get your return fare on your card before the game and use the 33rd Street entrance to catch your train ride home to avoid lines. You cannot put money on the card at 33rd Street.

MushMouth
05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
My advice:

Take the Green Line. No crowded, butt-to-butt action of the Red Line, and literally only 2 blocks further east when you get off on 35th/IIT.

ewokpelts
05-02-2005, 12:18 PM
you can also take the 35th bus or 39th bus to the 35th/archer orange line station.......the 39th bus stops right infront of the sox/35th station, and there are two stops for the 35th bus by the park(35th/wentworth, and also right off the expressway exit).

Gene

Sad
05-02-2005, 01:10 PM
My advice:

Take the Green Line. No crowded, butt-to-butt action of the Red Line, and literally only 2 blocks further east when you get off on 35th/IIT.

hmmm... I'm gonna have to try this Green Line... if nothing else to be able to "see" the city from a different perspective, as after Chinatown on the Red Line you're in the tunnel/underground... might be a scenic ride up to Randolph at night...

Fenway
05-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Step 1 buy fare card with $ 3.50 in value

http://www3.yourcta.com/images/catalog/transcrd.gif

Going to game take train marked
http://www.chicago-l.org/signage/train/danryan.jpg

get off at
http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/DanRyan/sox-35thSign.jpg
returning take train that says
http://www.chicago-l.org/signage/train/howard.jpg

mweflen
05-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Step 1 buy fare card with $ 3.50 in value

http://www3.yourcta.com/images/catalog/transcrd.gif

Going to game take train marked
http://www.chicago-l.org/signage/train/danryan.jpg

get off at
http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/DanRyan/sox-35thSign.jpg
returning take train that says
http://www.chicago-l.org/signage/train/howard.jpg

How do you know he isn't coming from 95th? :gulp:

MushMouth
05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
hmmm... I'm gonna have to try this Green Line... if nothing else to be able to "see" the city from a different perspective, as after Chinatown on the Red Line you're in the tunnel/underground... might be a scenic ride up to Randolph at night...

Actually the IIT stop is pretty freakin cool - Helmut Jahn (I believe) designed the dorms for IIT with a stainless sound barrier that makes for a pretty cool sight. And yes, it is more scenic coming into the loop.

I think more Sox fans should consider it, if for no other reason that to balance out the insanely crowded Red Line.

WhteSox725
05-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Actually the IIT stop is pretty freakin cool - Helmut Jahn (I believe) designed the dorms for IIT with a stainless sound barrier that makes for a pretty cool sight. And yes, it is more scenic coming into the loop.

I think more Sox fans should consider it, if for no other reason that to balance out the insanely crowded Red Line.

I took it after the Monday night game against the Twins. The trains were packed like sardines. Not much better than the Red Line except there was no line to actually get to the platform. Now if they put more cars on the Green Line it might help. There are only like 4 or 5 cars on that train and each train is like 15 minutes apart at night.

I want Mags back
05-02-2005, 03:17 PM

If its a crowded game, I highly suggest your chances of riding free on the way back, as I did the last game vs. the Flubs I was at. Some times the crowds are so huge they just want every one to go away, so they let every one pile thru the gates. KC wont be a problem though. If coming from the South side from 57 or the Bishop, get off at 87th and park in the Jewel or Toys r us

Church Turtle
05-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks to all that gave advice. I rode the Red Line without any problems at all. Had a super trip and our SOX won both games. TUES and WED nights last week against the royals. I made sure I had $ on my card and all went well.

Thanks again.

AZChiSoxFan
05-11-2005, 06:47 PM

Great point. I learned this lesson the hard way last summer.

guillen4life13
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Stay away from all the non-white people. They probably have guns or knives and will steal all your money.

Don't worry about a thing. Funny little story though (IIRC, Flight24 was with me when this happened) some drunk Sox fan was messing with a drunk Red Sox fan on the way back from a Sox winner in 2001 or 2002. The Sox fan came up to me and was like "I'll give you 5 dollars to say you've got my back!" I was 13 or 14 at the time, so I knew no one would try to fight a kid, so I said it. The guy gave me the 5 spot and we had to get off at the next stop anyways. Everyone in the car was lauging. Good fun.

Some of the fans on the way back are pretty funny if they're nicely lubricated. They don't piss though, so don't worry, and they aren't violent. They just joke around.

ilsox7
05-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Don't worry about a thing. Funny little story though (IIRC, Flight24 was with me when this happened) some drunk Sox fan was messing with a drunk Red Sox fan on the way back from a Sox winner in 2001 or 2002. The Sox fan came up to me and was like "I'll give you 5 dollars to say you've got my back!" I was 13 or 14 at the time, so I knew no one would try to fight a kid, so I said it. The guy gave me the 5 spot and we had to get off at the next stop anyways. Everyone in the car was lauging. Good fun.

That was me. I want my $5 back.

UofCSoxFan
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
I love how everyone assumes he's coming from downtown. You know people do ride the el NORTH to Sox Park (like I do).

The President of the CTA, Frank Kruesi, spoke to my Urban Economics Class yesterday...pretty smug with his responses and was ready to place the blame of the present crisis on everyone but himself....anyone else looking forward to the commute on July 17?

kevingrt
05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I love how everyone assumes he's coming from downtown. You know people do ride the el NORTH to Sox Park (like I do).

The President of the CTA, Frank Kruesi, spoke to my Urban Economics Class yesterday...pretty smug with his responses and was ready to place the blame of the present crisis on everyone but himself....anyone else looking forward to the commute on July 17?

I usually drive down to Cumberland from Buffalo Grove catch the Blue Line and take it to the Red Line at Jackson or Washington. Works brilliantly!