PDA

View Full Version : lead in all 25 games

elrod
05-01-2005, 07:55 PM
In one of the stranger statistics of all time, the White Sox have now led in each of the first 25 games this season. The only other team to do so was the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers, who were then shut out in their 26th game. Of course, that Dodger team won the World Series. This is a strange statistic because it would imply that our offense is on fire, and that our pitching hasn't held on to leads, when the opposite is true. In the 7 games we lost, only one was a late inning blown lead (Cleveland), and another was a mid-to-late game blown lead (Oakland). The others were games we led 1-0 or something and then the other team quickly took the lead. I suppose the real explanation is that our starting pitching has been so dominant that our team has been able to score first almost every time.

In fact, the White Sox have scored first in 20 out of the 25 games. Of the 5 games we did not score first, we are 4-1. Of the 20 we scored first, we are 14-6. Getting a lead early and shutting the other team down is how it works. But even if the other team gets ahead, our starting pitching keeps us in the game. Maybe this statistic isn't so strange.

Iguana775
05-01-2005, 07:58 PM
if the offense ever comes around, this team could be scary good.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Our strong bullpen makes this stat even sweeter. We'll continue to hold most of those leads.

Brian26
05-01-2005, 08:34 PM
In one of the stranger statistics of all time, the White Sox have now led in each of the first 25 games this season.

I'm just amazed that this stat even exists. I'm surprised they've gone back through the record books to compile this. Until this year, I'd never even heard of this record by the Dodgers before.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
05-02-2005, 03:14 AM
the sox tied the record for number of games in a row in which they have had the lead to start off a season with 25. they are also only the fifth team in history to start with 20 or more. of the four previous teams, 3 went to the playoffs, and 1 won the world series. kind of interesting.

elrod
05-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm just amazed that this stat even exists. I'm surprised they've gone back through the record books to compile this. Until this year, I'd never even heard of this record by the Dodgers before.

Well, that's sort of my point. What is the significance of this stat? I do think it shows that the starting pitching is good enough to keep us in games. No opposing team has jumped off to a 3-0 first inning lead, or anything. The closest was when Cleveland scored 4 in the bottom of the first against El Duque, after we put one up in the top of the first. I remember the 1998 Yankees used to lead 1-0 after the first inning of just about every game. It put a lot of pressure on the opponent to play catch up right away.

owensmouth
05-02-2005, 10:47 AM
I still hate all things Dodger Blue (I have since 1959) but I hafta admit that their 1955 team was very good. Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snyder, Gil Hodges, Jackie Robinson, Jim Gilliam and Carl Furillo with a pretty good pitching staff (Newcombe, Johnnie Podres, Carl Erskine, and a rookie named Kofax) made them a formidable machine. They won their first ten games and then recovered and won eleven inna row. They were 22 and 3 after 25 games.

Our Sox have matched up with a quality team.

eriqjaffe
05-02-2005, 10:55 AM
When the streak was at 23, it actually got mentioned during the Sox telecast.

Encouragingly, 23 tied the second-longeest streak held by the 1998 Padres.

Who also went to the World Series.

GregoryEtc
05-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't think the importance of the stat is that we led in the first 25 games. I think it just shows a trend that we are keeping ourselves in practically every game. It just underscores how tough we are to beat. When you put yourself in a position to win every game, you're going to win a lot.

Also, it shows how balls have been bouncing our way this year. There's a certain element of luck that must be on your side to be successful for an entire season and so far (with the exception of some injuries), we've been lucky. Thats not to say that we're winning because of luck. It just means that we're taking advantage of good opportunities when the come to us which every team needs to do to see the post season.

I want Mags back
05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Anyone have a total on 1ST inning runs. Scoring in the first is huge in scoring first and getting a lead