PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday night vs. KC

OKCidiot
05-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Hey!

I'm thinking about flying back to Chicago on Tuesday and going to the game that night. Checked out the forecast on weather.com and saw the high for the day is predicted to be 55, with the nighttime low in the mid-30s. They're not planning on cancelling the game due to "projected cold weather", are they? After all, the Bulls are in the playoffs again and it wouldn't be the first time they've pulled that! Bottom line, is it worth me making the trip?

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Called game due to cold weather? :rolling:

I seriously doubt it

YourWHAThurts?
05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Called game due to cold weather? :rolling:

I seriously doubt it

Oh it HAS happened! Back in the mid 90s I had received tickets from work for a night game in May, and quite a few of us got the surprise of our lives when the ticket office reps told us that "TONIGHT'S GAME HAS BEEN CALLED DUE TO FORECASTED COLD WEATHER". So we're all standing there in disbelief, the evening sun still shining, temperature a bit cool but not uncomfortable, and then it dawns on us that the Bulls had a playoff game in town that night! I've been to games where the temperature was MUCH colder than it was that particular night, and to top it off, the Brewers played a home game that night under similar weather conditions. And heaven forbid if we play ball in October and the weather is "too cold for baseball"!!! Anyway I got into a pretty heated argument with the guy in the ticket office that night, until I finally told him to stop (expletive deleted) lying to me and just admit that the game was cancelled on account of the Bulls.

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh it HAS happened! Back in the mid 90s I had received tickets from work for a night game in May, and quite a few of us got the surprise of our lives when the ticket office reps told us that "TONIGHT'S GAME HAS BEEN CALLED DUE TO FORECASTED COLD WEATHER". So we're all standing there in disbelief, the evening sun still shining, temperature a bit cool but not uncomfortable, and then it dawns on us that the Bulls had a playoff game in town that night! I've been to games where the temperature was MUCH colder than it was that particular night, and to top it off, the Brewers played a home game that night under similar weather conditions. And heaven forbid if we play ball in October and the weather is "too cold for baseball"!!! Anyway I got into a pretty heated argument with the guy in the ticket office that night, until I finally told him to stop (expletive deleted) lying to me and just admit that the game was cancelled on account of the Bulls.

Yes but there are clear differences between now and the mid-90's. Then, the Bulls were practically expected to win the NBA championship. They still had MJ. They were a much bigger deal. Now, the Bulls still aren't a lock for getting past this round. The White Sox at the present moment have the best record in baseball and have high expectations. They were probably doing at least somewhat better than they were in '96 or '97 when that last happened (if it were '98 then I dont blame the team for doing that).

Besides, the Bulls dont play on Tuesday as the title of the thread suggests, but rather on Wednesday.:D:

YourWHAThurts?
05-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Yes but there are clear differences between now and the mid-90's. Then, the Bulls were practically expected to win the NBA championship. They still had MJ. They were a much bigger deal. Now, the Bulls still aren't a lock for getting past this round. The White Sox at the present moment have the best record in baseball and have high expectations. They were probably doing at least somewhat better than they were in '96 or '97 when that last happened (if it were '98 then I dont blame the team for doing that).

Besides, the Bulls dont play on Tuesday as the title of the thread suggests, but rather on Wednesday.:D:

That may very well be, but you gotta admit that cancelling a baseball game based on a FORECAST and not an actual weather situation is pretty (expletive deleted) lame, and at that point in time the Sox could ill afford to alienate their fan base any more than they already had.

'Nuff said.

ChiSoxGirl
05-01-2005, 11:32 PM
I'm going to brave the "forecasted cold temperatures" and am heading down to the ballpark on Tuesday. Any other WSIers going to be there? I'll be in Sec. 145, Row 10, probably wearing my black dugout jacket and keeping score- if it isn't too cold. I got two half price upgrade vouchers from staying the whole weekend at SoxFest and had used neither yet, so I decided I'll go see Buehrle throw another quick gem. If you're going to be at the game, stop by and say Hi. :D:

http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/29207745/1194436
White Sox Baseball- Smart Ball is what we do best and it's paying off; 18-7!

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 11:36 PM
That may very well be, but you gotta admit that cancelling a baseball game based on a FORECAST and not an actual weather situation is pretty (expletive deleted) lame, and at that point in time the Sox could ill afford to alienate their fan base any more than they already had.

'Nuff said.

Oh definitely. It was a terrible thing to do to all of those fans who had tickets to that game and got excited about attending, but it was more justifyible from a practical point of view than doing so this Wednesday.

OKCidiot
05-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Alrighty then, Chicago it is! See ya at the Cell on Tuesday night! Working for an airline has its privileges!!! :D:

GO SOX!!!

MUsoxfan
05-02-2005, 12:19 AM
139 row 17.....I can't wait

cbrownson13
05-02-2005, 12:24 AM
It was probably that cold Friday night. Granted, the Bulls didn't play Friday night, but I am sure that will have no bearing on the game. But it at least felt like it was in the 30's on Friday.

wildcat
05-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I'll be there tomorrow in section 520. Thank God Buehrle is pitching. The ridiculously long 10 innings I stayed for on Friday were brutally cold!

ewokpelts
05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
From my post on chicago.craigslist.org

Hi!
I'm posting this great Offer for White Sox fans to cheer on the best team in all of baseball this week .
You can get $10 bucks off lower level tickets, or half off upper level tickets for these games
5/3 Vs. Royals - http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003995A62B260F (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003995A62B260F)
5/4 Vs. Royals - http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003995A67A263B (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003995A67A263B)
5/5 Vs. Royals - http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003995A67C264D (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04003995A67C264D)

All you have to do is when you order your tickets, pleace this code in the "Friends and Family" discount box: 108956

That's It! No catch. No product you have to buy to get the discount. And no waiting!

Enjoy the game!

Gene

steff
05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
2 years ago opening day it was raining ice and it was 30 degrees with a wind chill in the teens and the game was not called... I don't ever recall a game being called unless it was raining hard... do you have the date of when this happened..?

maurice
05-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I'll confirm the "called on account of cold / Bulls playoff game" story. It must've been c. 1996. Deuce and I had tix with a fellow from S. Indiana. While dining on pre-game ribs at the Hickory Pit, the waitress said, "I hope you don't have tickets to the Sox game." Given the dry conditions and adequate temps, we were sure that she was kidding. She wasn't.
:angry:

elrod
05-02-2005, 03:10 PM
The Orioles used to pull that crap all the time. It seems like every Opening Day was called for "cold weather". Yet, the same day, the White Sox would play in 35 degrees (it would be 42 in B'More).

Jerko
05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I'll confirm the "called on account of cold / Bulls playoff game" story. It must've been c. 1996. Deuce and I had tix with a fellow from S. Indiana. While dining on pre-game ribs at the Hickory Pit, the waitress said, "I hope you don't have tickets to the Sox game." Given the dry conditions and adequate temps, we were sure that she was kidding. She wasn't.
:angry:

I remember that night. I got to the game and they had a tiny little wordperfect generated sign on the doors to gate 4 that said "game postponed due to weather" and there wasn't a drop of rain anywhere. The first thing I thought of was "Bulls are playing, no Sox game today".