PDA

View Full Version : KNBR's Bruce McGowan: "Ah, the Sox will get ousted in the first round"

Bisco Stu
05-01-2005, 09:22 PM
His response when a Tiggers fan today praised the White Sox on the Giants postgame radio show out here.

With our pitching, can't see us losing in the first round, especially if we met a team like the Orioles or the Red Sox with more suspect pitching.

SoxxoS
05-01-2005, 09:27 PM
His response when a Tiggers fan today praised the White Sox on the Giants postgame radio show out here.

With our pitching, can't see us losing in the first round, especially if we met a team like the Orioles or the Red Sox with more suspect pitching.

http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/DrEvil%20_orig.JPG

"Scotty....Scotty....Take it DOWN a notch."

Soxzilla
05-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Giants will be LUCKy to make the first round.

voodoochile
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
So he thinks the Sox will make the playoffs... Cool...:cool:

batmanZoSo
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Anything can happen. In 83 we had a dominant pitching staff and they pitched pretty well, but we didn't hit a lick. Same with 2000, didn't hit a lick. I can see this team going all the way if they get hot and play well and execute in the playoffs. But I can also see them missing the playoffs all together or getting "ousted" in the first round like our friend says.

TheOldRoman
05-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Anything can happen. In 83 we had a dominant pitching staff and they pitched pretty well, but we didn't hit a lick. Same with 2000, didn't hit a lick. I can see this team going all the way if they get hot and play well and execute in the playoffs. But I can also see them missing the playoffs all together or getting "ousted" in the first round like our friend says.
True. Thats the scary thing about the playoffs. there are no guarantees. We could go 155-7 with a team ERA of 1, and still go home in 3 games. Baseball playoffs are among the cruelest. The best team doesnt always win. The playoffs are about who has the best pitching and who is hitting on fire. The Angels werent the best team in 02 and the Marlins werent the best team in 03. Its not like the NBA where there are virtually no upsets. I dont care if a baseabll team has a record shattering offense. If the pitchers they face all have career performances in the playoffs, they will be out in 3.

However, this moron is speaking as part of the Yankees-Red Sox-Cubs-Giants centric elitist media. If the team isn't one of those teams, most people are going to dimiss them immediately. He has no idea what he is talking about.

batmanZoSo
05-01-2005, 10:31 PM
True. Thats the scary thing about the playoffs. there are no guarantees. We could go 155-7 with a team ERA of 1, and still go home in 3 games. Baseball playoffs are among the cruelest. The best team doesnt always win. The playoffs are about who has the best pitching and who is hitting on fire. The Angels werent the best team in 02 and the Marlins werent the best team in 03. Its not like the NBA where there are virtually no upsets. I dont care if a baseabll team has a record shattering offense. If the pitchers they face all have career performances in the playoffs, they will be out in 3.

So true, especially the 5 game series. If you lose game 1, game 2 is practically do or die. It's really tough. I'm glad it's not a 5 game LCS anymore.

TheOldRoman
05-01-2005, 10:43 PM
So true, especially the 5 game series. If you lose game 1, game 2 is practically do or die. It's really tough. I'm glad it's not a 5 game LCS anymore.
And the thing is, great pitching usually beat great hitting. Any team at any time during the season is capable of dropping 3 straight. Pitching is watered down to a degree, but there is still a lot of talent in the majors. Say the Sox run into the Angels in the playoffs. Colon, Washburn and Lackey are all capable of shutting a team down, whether or no they do it on a regular basis. Same with the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, and even the Indians. No matter how good they pitched all season, those teams' top three are capable of giving up 1 run a game. Then again, so are ALL the White Sox starters. That being said, I think we would have as good a chance as anyone going into a 5 or seven game series.

Jerry_Manuel
05-01-2005, 10:45 PM

I'm not complaining about Sox talk on the radio here, but why is a Tiger fan calling a Giant radio show about the Sox?:?:

Brian26
05-01-2005, 10:46 PM

Actually, the first round is the one round when you don't necessarily need 5 quality starters, or even 4. The first round is the one where a team can slip by with three decent starters, as unfair as that may seem. I like our chances better in the ALCS than in the Divisional Series...but that's still some months down the line :D:

Lip Man 1
05-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Losing in the first round is still better overall then not even having a chance to lose in the first round isn't it?

Lip

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 11:40 PM
See? Everyone's scared of us now, which is why they're denying our chances of doing well this year. Now some are accepting our making the playoffs as an inevitability. That's pretty high praise IMO so early in the season.

doublem23
05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Losing in the first round is still better overall then not even having a chance to lose in the first round isn't it?

Lip

Wise words.

voodoochile
05-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Lip

Heck yes! Actually kind of funny, but being good enough to make the first round of the playoffs is a huge step up from where most of these goofs predicted the team would finish.

Inch by inch the Sox are moving onto the radar screen. Not that there's anything the teams in the ALC can do about it anyway...:D:

WhiteSoxFan84
05-01-2005, 11:46 PM

that's EXACTLY what i thought.

we're moving up the ladder! from 4th in the division, to 3rd, to 2nd, and now, we are winning it? hot.

jdm2662
05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Let's get there first, then worry about it.
________
312T (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_312T)

StepsInSC
05-02-2005, 12:00 AM
This thread is screaming for a Jim Mora tag...

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm not complaining about Sox talk on the radio here, but why is a Tiger fan calling a Giant radio show about the Sox?:?:

What I was thinking :D:

OEO Magglio
05-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Ha, no kidding. A long way to go but I will say if the sox do get to the playoffs they aren't going quietly.

hose
05-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Ha, no kidding. A long way to go but I will say if the sox do get to the playoffs they aren't going quietly.

Especially if the Sox have the ability to play small ball against good opposing pitching, before it was home run or nothing.

elrod
05-02-2005, 08:59 AM
How many teams in the past several years went a long way in the post-season without great pitching? The 2002 Angels are the only team I can think of that relied almost entirely on bats. 2004 was Schilling and Martinez (though in the ALCS it was all about the bats coming alive in time). 2003 was Josh Beckett's heroics. 2001 was Schilling and Johnson. 1997 Marlins were all about Livan Hernandez. The Yankees from 1996 to 2000 were all about superstar starting pitching. 1995 Braves were Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. The 2002 Angels had a great performance from reliever Rodriguez but their starters were nothing special - neither in the regular season nor the playoffs. You win it all with great starting pitching.

Jurr
05-02-2005, 10:38 AM
The 1992/93 Blue Jays really didn't have a lights out staff (Juan Guzman?). However, they had Rickey Henderson, Paul Molitor, Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, and a slew of other stars.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2005, 10:53 AM

Unless you are the 84 Padres!

:supernana:

BRDSR
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
His response when a Tiggers fan today...

Guys, we need to get something straight. A Tigger is a fictional character from the Hundred Acre Wood. A Tiger is who the white Sox played last night.

MisterB
05-02-2005, 12:02 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/sports/2001/11/25/mora_7116.jpg
"PLAYOFFS?" (http://www.czabe.com/backup/Vol3_jan18/mora_tirade_clip5_playoffs.mp3)

voodoochile
05-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Guys, we need to get something straight. A Tigger is a fictional character from the Hundred Acre Wood. A Tiger is who the white Sox played last night.

You hear that sound? Look up... Yep that joke just went right over your head...:rolleyes:

Palehose13
05-02-2005, 12:17 PM

That was EXACTLY what I thought when I saw this thread.