PDA

View Full Version : The Three Latinos

owensmouth
05-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Can anyone explain why Contreras, Garcia and Hernandez always seem to have such a hard time getting out of thefirst inning unscathed?

Each game we seem to be counting pitches by the time the third out is recorded. then they amaze us by managing to go six or seven scoreless innings.

If those guys would come in and go 1-2-3 in the first inning, they'd have complete game victories.

SOXPHILE
05-01-2005, 09:43 PM
I know. Let's ask Johnny Baker. He'll fill us in with his infinite wisdom.

JB: "Dude, I've told you. Those dudes come from warmer climates. It's pretty cold out right now, so it takes them longer to get in the groove and stuff. Come on man, don't you guys listen to what I've been, tellin' you ? What ? What's Carrie Wood(s)'s status ? Uhh...hey man, where's lil' Darrin at ?"

34 Inch Stick
05-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Are Cubans Latinos? What exactly is Latino? Is it anyone with Spanish blood or does it have to do with a particular area in South/Central America and the Caribbean?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Duuh-sty Baker would say "Man, those three cats (I mean gatos) are built for warm weather. The can't warm up quickly in the cold dude. In July and August Garland and Buehrle probably won't win a game and the three gatos will carry the team."

daveeym
05-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Are Cubans Latinos? What exactly is Latino? Is it anyone with Spanish blood or does it have to do with a particular area in South/Central America and the Caribbean? I believe that they are. My undertanding is Latino is from Latin America. Anyone south of the US Border would be a Latino, then getting more specific with Cuban, Mexican, Domincan, Brazilian, etc.

elrod
05-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Are Cubans Latinos? What exactly is Latino? Is it anyone with Spanish blood or does it have to do with a particular area in South/Central America and the Caribbean?

Latino means anybody from Latin America, which is Spanish-speaking South America, Central America and the Caribbean. That said, many "Latinos" prefer to be called "Hispanic". This is particularly true of Cubans.

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Latino means anybody from Latin America, which is Spanish-speaking South America, Central America and the Caribbean. That said, many "Latinos" prefer to be called "Hispanic". This is particularly true of Cubans.

I believe the term actually goes back to the fact that the Caribbean and Central and South America originally were colonized by the Spanish and Portuguese. My Spanish professor (herself a native Spaniard) explained to me that Spanish (and Portguese) are the most "Latin-like" of the Romance Languages (the others are French and Italian), which drew from the original Latin language spoken in the Roman Empire. I've heard people who are not Mexican or Latin American, but rather are completely of Spanish descent, identify themselves as "Latin," "Latino" or "Latina."

Now that we've answered the thread hijack question, let's go back to the original question, which was....

....oh yeah, about Garcia, Contreras and Hernandez. I don't know, expect to say that Buehrle and Garland have been so lights-out that the others look completely average in comparison?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Can we also discuss Danny Wright and the origination of the term "hillbilly"?

Knockoutinthepar
05-02-2005, 01:51 PM
"Mexican-Americans
don't like to get up
in the morning
but they have to
so the do it
real slow" -Cheech Marin

Now on the serious side.

[QUOTE=Frater Perdurabo] I've heard people who are not Mexican or Latin American, but rather are completely of Spanish descent, identify themselves as "Latin," "Latino" or "Latina." [QUOTE]

Actually, these Spaniards are the ones doing the hijacking; 'Latino' is short for 'Latino Americano', a phrase that in recent decades has emerged the standard handle for the people of Latin America (beating out the more Spanish term 'Hispanic', the more racial term 'Meztizo', and the more American term 'Mexican'. There are still those who don't like the word Latino because it suggests a common origin with a central Italian tribe that subjugated Europe to centuries of militarily-enforced cultural slavery, but its about the best word out there for now. Most Latin Americans would prefer to be identified by their country's name; think of it as referring to all Americans, British, South Africans, and Australians as either English or Anglo Saxon.

doublem23
05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
All three of them are in the Top in the American League in ERA, so if they want to struggle through the first but put up those kind of end results, I'll live. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Most Latin Americans would prefer to be identified by their country's name; think of it as referring to all Americans, British, South Africans, and Australians as either English or Anglo Saxon.

You're right. I've also noticed this but failed to remember it when posting earlier.