PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight: Praising the White Sox

Chisox003
05-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonight (before the Sunday night game) said something along the lines of "Ill take Jon Garland over any 4th or 5th starter, and he will pile up the wins because of the DEPTH of the White Sox pitching..."

He added "The White Sox are here to stay, speed never goes into slumps, and that the Sox will continue to surprise people...."

I believe it was Tim Kurkjian (Sp?) added that "Nobody could have seen this start from the White Sox...." (True, to some extent, but still....)

I was SHOCKED at hearing this, as this was the same Harold Reynolds ripping the White Sox a few weeks ago, and the same Baseball tonight crew ripping the Sox pitching....

John Kruk (tool) added something like "Jon Garland is the best pitcher in baseball....Well behind Johan Santana, hes number 2 but still..."

Hey, at least theyre talking about us positively, still....It makes me angry that they can say this, something weve known for months! the SOX are GOOD!

"We dont care"
S05X

BridgePortNative
05-01-2005, 07:55 PM
When does the next BBTN start?

Chisox003
05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
When does the next BBTN start?

Either after the Sunday Night Game, or after Sports Center which would be after the game...Maybe around 11:20

JUribe1989
05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
You know who would fit perfectly on Baseball Tonight
:moron
"I always knew they could do it on the South Side. Except give no credit to Jerry Reinsdorf and the rest of his evil corporation."

Seriously, it's ridiculous how much they change their mind.

faneidde
05-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Seriously, it's ridiculous how much they change their mind.
I disagree. I think they are just looking at the Sox objectively. If they were still ripping on us, people would complain. If they compliment us, some people still complain. I liked it better when the Sox were still under the radar.

Chisox003
05-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I disagree. I think they are just looking at the Sox objectively. If they were still ripping on us, people would complain. If they compliment us, some people still complain. I liked it better when the Sox were still under the radar.

I think I have to agree about Under the Radar part...

But you got to admit, it is good seeing them as the #2 highlight, after a Bartolo Colon/Johan Santana duel, thats damn good....(Especially since we are playing the Tigers)

BridgePortNative
05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I think I have to agree about Under the Radar part...

But you got to admit, it is good seeing them as the #2 highlight, after a Bartolo Colon/Johan Santana duel, thats damn good....(Especially since we are playing the Tigers)

But I thought the Tigers were major contendors with their amazing offense including Maggs also with Percival *cough* 4.45 ERA 3 BS *cough* no Maggs
*cough*

TheOldRoman
05-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Here is what really happened...

The morons on BBTN, all of them - Kruk, Reynolds, Bowa, Mulletor, and Boston Gammons, dont pay attention to the games. They offer light to no insight whatsoever. The host reads a script of highlights, and then the other fools comment on the games of the day. Unless the host lays down the situation before the highlights, they dont know whether the White Sox come into today having won 8 straight or lost 3 straight.

It seems like this tools look at the actual standings and numbers on the first day of every month. Today, Kruk and Reynolds checked the standings to not only see the Sox have a 2.5 game lead, but the best pitching in baseball to date. Before today they had heard the Sox were off to such a good start, but they probably didnt know their record or how many games they were up by. If the Twins have a respectable month and the Sox come out of May with a lead of 5 or more, they will start talking about the Sox even more come June first.

balke
05-01-2005, 08:45 PM
The best part was when they said we should be 25-0 because we've led in each game. Then that large idiotic STUPID MORONIC OAFISH NO-NOTHING YANKEE LOVING, TURNCOAT, STUPID STUPID STUPID...... John Kruk said "That bullpen needs a serious boost blowing all these close games, and its a problem that needs addressing for this team to continue to win."

Here's an idea John, SHUT UP! READ! Randy Johnson isn't winning 30 games, Derek Jeter isn't the ultimate cornerstone of any franchise, JOHAN SANTANA IS NOT THE APRIL CY YOUNG! His "biggest surprise" was really lame too, something everyone should've seen coming.. I don't remember what it is right now though.

GALLLLLLLLLDAAANNNNNGIT I hate when they analyze.

But it was nice to get some recognition. Jon Garland is finally the stud he's always been. Our offense finally hit the ball with runners on. Hopefully we keep it up, and someone on their crew will talk about how they bought into the pitching first mentality of the White Sox all along.

Ron Karkovice
05-01-2005, 08:47 PM
But I thought the Tigers were major contendors with their amazing offense including Maggs also with Percival *cough* 4.45 ERA 3 BS *cough* no Maggs
*cough*

http://www.nmafaculty.org/images/nyquil_large.jpg

BridgePortNative
05-01-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.nmafaculty.org/images/nyquil_large.jpg
:rolling: :rolling: Thanks, I needed some of that.:thumbsup: Hope I didn't take too much
........ooo the COLORS!:mg:

halfpricemonday
05-01-2005, 09:02 PM
The best part was when they said we should be 25-0 because we've led in each game. Then that large idiotic STUPID MORONIC OAFISH NO-NOTHING YANKEE LOVING, TURNCOAT, STUPID STUPID STUPID...... John Kruk said "That bullpen needs a serious boost blowing all these close games, and its a problem that needs addressing for this team to continue to win."

I thought he was being sarcastic when he said it, considering the ridiculousness of blaming our 7 losses on the bullpen. Judging from the reactions of the others on BBTN, I think they thought he was joking too. Who knows...

balke
05-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I didn't detect any, but there was a lot of people in the room when I was listening to it. I thought he was serious. I know the 25-0 was a joke, but the Bullpen blame sounded serious.

kevingrt
05-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonight (before the Sunday night game) said something along the lines of "Ill take Jon Garland over any 4th or 5th starter, and he will pile up the wins because of the DEPTH of the White Sox pitching..."

He added "The White Sox are here to stay, speed never goes into slumps, and that the Sox will continue to surprise people...."

I believe it was Tim Kurkjian (Sp?) added that "Nobody could have seen this start from the White Sox...." (True, to some extent, but still....)

I was SHOCKED at hearing this, as this was the same Harold Reynolds ripping the White Sox a few weeks ago, and the same Baseball tonight crew ripping the Sox pitching....

John Kruk (tool) added something like "Jon Garland is the best pitcher in baseball....Well behind Johan Santana, hes number 2 but still..."

Hey, at least theyre talking about us positively, still....It makes me angry that they can say this, something weve known for months! the SOX are GOOD!

"We dont care"
S05X

The annoying part is they totally ripped on us about a week ago and despite going on a three game win streak now we are for real. It's like we had to go through a little bit of a losing skid for Reynolds and company to say, "Wow, these kids can play." That's all that pisses me off. Reynolds and Kirkjian know there stuff, Kruk is in another universe. But really I don't care what the media says, neither do the players or management.

HawkISox
05-01-2005, 09:38 PM
I am surprised they found time from covering the Yankees and Red Sox to talk about another team, let alone one not from the (l)east coast.

Chisox003
05-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Here's an idea John, SHUT UP! READ! Randy Johnson isn't winning 30 games, Derek Jeter isn't the ultimate cornerstone of any franchise, JOHAN SANTANA IS NOT THE APRIL CY YOUNG! His "biggest surprise" was really lame too, something everyone should've seen coming.. I don't remember what it is right now though.

GALLLLLLLLLDAAANNNNNGIT I hate when they analyze.

But it was nice to get some recognition. Jon Garland is finally the stud he's always been. Our offense finally hit the ball with runners on. Hopefully we keep it up, and someone on their crew will talk about how they bought into the pitching first mentality of the White Sox all along.

Kruk's biggest surprise this April: Mark Mulder pitching good :rolleyes:
He said something like "I saw him pitch at the end of last year and at the beginning of this year and I thought he'd never be good again...."

Ok Johnnie boy....

I didnt hear the part about the bullpen, or I would have included that in my original post....That pisses me off

"We Dont Care"
S05X

Malgar 12
05-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I thought he was being sarcastic when he said it, considering the ridiculousness of blaming our 7 losses on the bullpen. Judging from the reactions of the others on BBTN, I think they thought he was joking too. Who knows...

Kruk is a dolt... but he was being sarcastic.

Nard
05-01-2005, 09:54 PM
All this teal business is making people unable to detect sarcasm in real life.:dtroll:

Ol' No. 2
05-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonight (before the Sunday night game) said something along the lines of "Ill take Jon Garland over any 4th or 5th starter...Really? He's tied for the most wins in baseball, has the best ERA among starters in the AL, and he's just pitched two consecutive CG SO, and he'd take him over any 4th or 5th starter? Boy, that's really generous of you Harold. Moron.

soxfan123
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
This is once again a point that proves the BBTN crew has no idea what they are talking about. Now that their preseason prediction can no longer be defended, they act like their argument never existed and that they were on the bandwagon the entire time. However, I do love listening to the moronic Karl Ravech...he surpasses all of them...

Foulke29
05-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Amazing WSI posters - I'm happy getting some positive press on the national circuit. Maybe - though the analysis is weak - just maybe, we'll get a few people to look this way now and see that the team is for real.

Know what, rather than griping, enjoy it while it lasts, because I only remember about 3 times in my life time that ESPN got on the Sox Bandwagon...

tstrike2000
05-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I was chuckling that Jon Garland 5-0, Dontrelle Willis 5-0, Jamie Moyer 4-0, Jon Lieber 4-1, and Matt Clement 3-0 are all ex-scrubbies.

gobears1987
05-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I was chuckling that Jon Garland 5-0, Dontrelle Willis 5-0, Jamie Moyer 4-0, Jon Lieber 4-1, and Matt Clement 3-0 are all ex-scrubbies.
The Cubs don't need him. They have "messiah" balsa and "mesiah" Mark watch me give up a grand slammy Prior

iamkoza
05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
it's hi-larious what a bunch of jaded white sox fans can say... this thread is evidence

I dispise espn so much, sportscenter has just become a bunch of human interest stories and terrible analysts pretending like they actually watched and analyzed a game. Im sure in a few years they will ruin espnews too.

HawkISox
05-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Really? He's tied for the most wins in baseball, has the best ERA among starters in the AL, and he's just pitched two consecutive CG SO, and he'd take him over any 4th or 5th starter? Boy, that's really generous of you Harold. Moron.

Since when did teams match up 4th or 5th starters during the season. Didn't Garland just beat Oakland's #1 Barry Zito? Man, that is a stupid statement. Especially from a former player.

It's like they don't know what to say about the Sox, so they just make things up.

twsoxfan5
05-02-2005, 07:40 AM
I think the reason these guys wont jump on the Sox bandwagon right now is because none of them picked the Sox to do well in the Spring and they can not go back on thier word yet, or at least they do not want to. They are starting to break a little bit and talk about the Sox, but I think if the Sox have a good May they will really start to turn some heads.

infohawk
05-02-2005, 09:16 AM

I don't know. I thought Kruk was joking around.

White Sox Randy
05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
and Kruk was joking about the bullpen. What was really surprising was that none of these geniuses ever pointed out the fact that the statistic of leading in the first 25 games doesn't mean that every starting pitcher left the game with the lead.

The Sox could score 1 run in the first inning of the next game and then give up 3 runs in the second and the streak will continue. THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BULLPEN. These guys on this show are brain dead.

Maximo
05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't know. I thought Kruk was joking around.

I took it that he was joking.

infohawk
05-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Steve Phillips said something that I thought was actually quite revealing. He didn't say it about the Sox, but it was a general comment about evaluating teams. He said that what he looks for in a team is a track record. What they have done in the past. If this comment is indicative of many analysts, this explains why everyone was slow to come around to the fact that the Sox may be a legitimate contender. They only see what the Sox were last year, and then determine what that team is without Magglio, Carlos and Big Frank. Obviously, not a good way to evaluate a team's chances after it has been overhauled.

Maximo
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Steve Phillips said something that I thought was actually quite revealing. He didn't say it about the Sox, but it was a general comment about evaluating teams. He said that what he looks for in a team is a track record. What they have done in the past. If this comment is indicative of many analysts, this explains why everyone was slow to come around to the fact that the Sox may be a legitimate contender. They only see what the Sox were last year, and then determine what that team is without Magglio, Carlos and Big Frank. Obviously, not a good way to evaluate a team's chances after it has been overhauled.

"Track record" means the same thing as "reputation". Reputations are developed over a period of time. As far as many are concerned....Sox fans, local media and national media....in recent years the Sox have not built a successful track record for themselves.

As far as the overhaul with the Sox....it's not exactly like the Sox brought in "headline grabbers" such as Beltran, Randy Johnson and the like. There weren't many "newsworthy" additions to this team.

The Sox will have to continue winning and acting like a successful organization to earn the media's respect and they'll have to do it for a period of time longer than 30 days.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 09:52 AM
"Track record" means the same thing as "reputation". Reputations are developed over a period of time. As far as many are concerned....Sox fans, local media and national media....in recent years the Sox have not built a successful track record for themselves.

As far as the overhaul with the Sox....it's not exactly like the Sox brought in "headline grabbers" such as Beltran, Randy Johnson and the like. There weren't many "newsworthy" additions to this team.

The Sox will have to continue winning and act like a successful organization to earn the media's respect and they'll have to do it for a period of time longer than 30 days.What's the difference between picking on "Track record" and just picking whoever won last year? Any dork can look at last year's standings. Is it too much to expect that these guys would actually find out who's on the roster and pick based on whether they have the elements of a good team? It seems that the only thing they consider is star power. If you added stars, you got better. If you lost stars, you got worse. Pretty simplistic, if you ask me.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Generally teams with a 'track record,' have established players who have performed fairly regularly over x number of years. Payroll size and or playoff appearances also figure into 'track record.' People look at Minnesota and say, 'well they find a way to get it done,' people look at the Yankees or Braves and say 'well they'd made the playoffs x years in a row.'

Those factors help establish credibility. Now sooner or later something will happen to change that, no team makes the post season every year forever. When it does the analysts will try to find other teams with consistent performance and tout them.

That's the way the game is played.

Lip

Fake Chet Lemon
05-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Don't worry, we are one 4-game Yankee winning streak away from going back under the radar.

kevingrt
05-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Don't worry, we are one 4-game Yankee winning streak away from going back under the radar.

Don't forget about a BoSox or Scrub four game win streak