PDA

View Full Version : Who's surprised you the most this season?

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2005, 08:35 PM
These Sox are doing much better than most of us, I'm sure, thought. There are many factors that have been combined to put W's in the left-hand column in the standings. Which of said "factors" has surprised you the most this season (pick one)?

CPditka
05-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I think you were trying to make a poll....

But the easy answer is Jon Garland.

Brian26
05-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Great question. Probably either Garland or Iguchi. Iguchi is really starting to look great at the plate. I love his style...it's similar to the way Ichiro hits. He keeps his front foot off the ground and isn't trying to hit homers...just making solid contact and getting timley basehits. Garland is a real nice surprise though.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I have to honestly say Joe Crede because I always thought Garland had the potential to become a #1 or #2. I thought Crede was around because he was a starter who only made $400,000, allowing Kenny to spend the saved money on pitching.

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Agreed. Garland is flat-out DOMINATING every single time he takes the bump. He doesn't seem to possess any fear and now has been able to get out of jams. To illustrate that, there was an inning this afternoon in which he allowed the first two runners to reach base. In the Judy era, that would've resulted in a big crooked number going up on the board. But now, this is the JON era, and he isn't giving up the proverbial "big inning" anymore! In that inning, he sat the rest down, not even giving up a single run! The extra hours he put in during the offseason are greatly apparent.

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Who leads the AL in Wins?
Who leads the AL in ERA?
Who has the most innings per start in the AL?
Who was expected to only be the fifth starter?
Who leads the AL in WHIP?
Who has surprised me most?
Who is the team MVP?

The answer to every question posed above is Jon Garland

zach074
05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Gooch and Jon G!

faneidde
05-01-2005, 09:11 PM
John Garland is the obvious answer. Other than Garland, I have been pleasantly surprised by Hermanson, Ozuna, and I really like the way Willie Harris is playing this year.

dcb33
05-01-2005, 09:45 PM
It's gotta be Garland. I was hoping that he was going to break out this year and win 15 games, but he's been flat out dominant so far and is 1/3 the way toward meeting my expectations for the entire year.

kevingrt
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
There is a right answer to this question and it has to be Jon Garland. Ozzie brought up a great point in his post game press conference this afternoon. He remined us that Garland was pitching well last year it's jsut that he would get crushed for four or five runs in the 4th,5th, or 6th inning and it would ruin his outing. I don't think many people though Garland would gain this confidence he has shown this year. Now he is able to work through jams by giving up a run at most. It is such a pleasant surprise to see a kid with this much talent finally show he can turn it around.

Rocklive99
05-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Crazy Carl and Politte

gobears1987
05-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Jg

batmanZoSo
05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Garland, Iguchi and Crede are all big surprises. We needed at least one breakout year and we might be getting three.

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Crede. I was expecting him to improve but not this much. I was thinking more like a .250 average not a .300 average.

Mark Buehrle
05-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I expected good numbers from him, and he is. His name is Carl Everett. He hasn't surprised me the most, but he's impressed me the most because he's rebounding from an injury plagued year. Jon Garland is up there though, as is Iguchi.

JGarlandrules20
05-01-2005, 10:52 PM
These Sox are doing much better than most of us, I'm sure, thought. There are many factors that have been combined to put W's in the left-hand column in the standings. Which of said "factors" has surprised you the most this season (pick one)?
I'd say Iguchi has been a pleasant suprise. He went way above my expectations. And Cliff has been unstoppable and a great arm out of the bullpen, which really suprised me after he had that awful spring.

Yeah. That was more than one, sorry.

Ol' No. 2
05-01-2005, 10:54 PM
After today??? You've got to be joking.