PDA

View Full Version : Contraction

Railsplitter
11-06-2001, 10:00 AM
I'f you're going to contract, why not contract Montreal and Tampa Bay? They've never won the Series, so you're not taking anything away from either city.

Railsplitter
11-06-2001, 10:03 AM
Pardon my mistake! Tampa Bay is not a City, it's a body of water

Spiff
11-06-2001, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
I'f you're going to contract, why not contract Montreal and Tampa Bay? They've never won the Series, so you're not taking anything away from either city.

Makes you wonder why they ever put baseball in Tampa in the first place. They didn't even have a decent stadium.

cheeses_h_rice
11-06-2001, 03:31 PM
Am I nuts for thinking that that monstrosity that the D-Rays play in is what would have been the home of the White Sox had they moved down there in the late '80s? I know a stadium was built expressly for that purpose, but I forget where....

PaleHoseGeorge
11-06-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Am I nuts for thinking that that monstrosity that the D-Rays play in is what would have been the home of the White Sox had they moved down there in the late '80s? I know a stadium was built expressly for that purpose, but I forget where....

Good memory. Back in 1988 it was still under construction. It was to be called the Florida Suncoast Dome and the Florida politicians put the project on a fast-track construction timetable so JR could move our Sox into St. Pete in time for opening day, 1989. The 12:02 Miracle in Springfield prevented this from happening.

St. Pete later tried to get the Giants (and Twins?) to move there without success. The morons suddenly realized homeplate was in the wrong corner, leaving the majority of seats in the outfield. They moved it to fix the problem. As I understand it, this is why so many pop flies hit the roof there; it wasn't designed to accommodate baseball in the current configuration!

There were other problems, too. A large portion of the stadium began sinking into the swamp, delaying the final opening. They've changed its name at least twice, currently Tropicana Field. It has the nicest artificial surface in the majors, not that anyone can offer a good excuse for not playing outdoors in Florida.

Talk about bad location? NOBODY from Tampa can get to the damned ballpark. It's built on the wrong side of the bay, and distant from the main traffic grid. Public transportation? Forget it.

What a mess! And it's precisely this mess that JR used to extort a brand new stadium, 100 diamond suites, and a sweetheart lease from the State of Illinois. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

:reinsy
"Do you still believe the economics of baseball are broken for me?"

cheeses_h_rice
11-06-2001, 05:24 PM
PHG, it's when I read something like the above post that I am quite thankful for the Sox to be playing where they are.

Could you just imagine the grief we'd get for A) being in Florida, and B) playing in a true dump of a ballpark like Tropicana Field?

<<shudder>>