PDA

View Full Version : Tough May Schedule

TheBull19
05-01-2005, 06:29 PM
The first week and a half looks pretty easy, but after that 4 vs Baltimore, 6 vs Texas, 6 vs LAA and 3 vs Cubs with only 1 day off, right before a 10 game road trip, looks like a tough stretch. The 1st real test of the Sox outside the AL Central. If the sox can come out of that with some wins, that should quiet some naysayers. God, I hope I have my cable back by then

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 07:31 PM
The Cubs should be pretty easy. The Orioles pitching is looking pretty good but their doing it with Bruce Chen.

GiveMeSox
05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
The first week and a half looks pretty easy, but after that 4 vs Baltimore, 6 vs Texas, 6 vs LAA and 3 vs Cubs with only 1 day off, right before a 10 game road trip, looks like a tough stretch. The 1st real test of the Sox outside the AL Central. If the sox can come out of that with some wins, that should quiet some naysayers. God, I hope I have my cable back by then

You are 100% correct. I was thinking the same about May. The good news is besides baltmore none of these teams seems to be flat out dominant. So dont look for any sweeps in either direction. Every game will be a fight to the end and hopefully we can continue winning series and call our tough stretch a success.

skobabe8
05-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Lets just hope the bats heat up along with the weather.

soxwon
05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
before the season started i predicted:
a 19-10 may

MAY 19-10 32-21 ovrall over apr-may
DET 1 gm#
KCITY 3 gm#
TOR 3gm
TAMPA 3 gm
BALT 4 gm#
TEX 3 gm#
CUBS 3 gm
ANA 4 gm
TEX 3 gm
ANA 2 gm#

Corlose 15
05-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Its going to be important to do well in those first three series and hopefully get some momentum going into the Texas and Baltimore games.

elrod
05-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm not overly concerned with Baltimore because our starting pitching has absolutely dominated good hitting ballclubs. The Tigers and Twins are two of the top hitting teams in the AL, and our team ERA against them is about 2.00 and 3.00 respectively. I only worry about good pitchers, like Chacin and Halladay in Toronto, or maybe Bedard in Baltimore. But no lineup is too tough for this staff.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
05-01-2005, 08:12 PM
i think the baltimore series will be a fun one to watch. with them winning with their hitting and us winning with our pitching. i have tickets to the thursday may 11th game, cant wait!

chisoxmike
05-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I say 16 wins for May.
I do like their June & July schedule, that is, if we don't totally bomb.

Cowhead418
05-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Our May does look pretty tough but August takes the cake. 6 games against the Yanks, 6 against the Twinkies, 3 against the BoSox, 1 against Baltimore, 6 against Seattle and 3 against Texas. We cannot afford to have a let down that month because the next month is the most important of the year - September. Not only is it the last month before the postseason, but with the exception of one series against the Angels, every team we play is in the ALC. That month is the key to the season IMO. I just hope we survive August.

Ol' No. 2
05-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Lets just hope the bats heat up along with the weather.I hereby decree the end of corpseball. Today's output is going to be repeated often the rest of the month. Even Pauly has been hitting the ball well, but has had the bad luck to have someone standing right where he was hittin' 'em.:(:

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I see only one series between now and the All Star break in which I think the Sox could lose the series and it not be an upset, that being the next 3 in Chokeland.

DumpJerry
05-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm only worried that they will get too tired with all those games without a break.

At least we're off to a 1-0 start!

Rocklive99
05-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Speaking of scheduling, I'm worried about the end of the season. 20 straight games, all against the AL Central (not sure if that parts a good thing or not). The last day off was nice for our injuries, but I hate how the opening series weather precautionary days off bite us in the end

balke
05-02-2005, 12:33 AM
We'll definitely find out if pitching or hitting is better to have. Orioles lineup is insane, and the other teams have hitters, and hot hitters. We have hot pitchers obviously.

ChicagoHoosier
05-02-2005, 08:17 AM
I see only one series between now and the All Star break in which I think the Sox could lose the series and it not be an upset, that being the next 3 in Chokeland.

Speaking of which, can anyone explain (probably an easy answer) why we have to play in Oakland for two series, but they only come here for one? Are there many teams, due to the scheduling to play more divisional games, where we play either 2/3 series at home or 2/3 series on the road, rather than simply three home and three away?

What's our problem with Oakland anyway?

SSN721
05-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Speaking of which, can anyone explain (probably an easy answer) why we have to play in Oakland for two series, but they only come here for one? Are there many teams, due to the scheduling to play more divisional games, where we play either 2/3 series at home or 2/3 series on the road, rather than simply three home and three away?

What's our problem with Oakland anyway?

I could be wrong, but I think they played 2 series in Oakland last year as well.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
To answer your question, it's the 'goofy' unbalanced schedule. The same one that had the Yanks arriving in Chicago a few years ago in late September. This year will be the first time in a long time, New York actually shows up when the games are meaningful, when the Sox should finally be able to take advantage of them coming in attendence-wise.

Lip

Mark
05-02-2005, 02:11 PM
If the AL Central goes down to the wire the Sox will have to do it the hard way, playing their last seven games on the road while the Twins are at home for their last seven.

I want Mags back
05-02-2005, 04:27 PM
before the season started i predicted:
a 19-10 may

ANA 4 gm

ANA 2 gm#

Its LAA

chisoxmike
05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
If the AL Central goes down to the wire the Sox will have to do it the hard way, playing their last seven games on the road while the Twins are at home for their last seven.

Of course it would, why would it be easy for us. The Twins will be able to work their magic at home while we tank it on the road.

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2005, 09:21 PM
If the AL Central goes down to the wire the Sox will have to do it the hard way, playing their last seven games on the road while the Twins are at home for their last seven.No worries. It will all be over by then.

PAPChiSox729
05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Maybe I've been drinking a little too much Kool Aid but I really think this team can win 18+ in April (29 games total). The only problem is that with facing Texas and Baltimore, our team ERA has a significant chance to rise. The bats hopefully starting to wake up. But I really believe our pitchers will hold down the opposition enough for us to win a lot of games this month. Instead of the 3-2 or 4-3 games, we are going to have to win the 6-5 or 8-6 games. We can do it though! 19-10 can happen.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2005, 09:53 PM
If the pitching holds up, there won't be any tough stretches. The key is to reduce the walks. KC and Minnesota will leave runners on, but Texas and Baltimore will make you pay.

A. Cavatica
05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
It's the teams that have to face us in May that have the tough schedules. :D: