PDA

View Full Version : Paulie's Average

northshoresoxfan
05-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Should Paulie (.209 average) be taken out of the clean up role? I know the past few games we've been scoring runs and Paulie will hit eventually, but maybe he should bat 5th or 6th until he heats up.

Then agian, we don't have many hot hitters. Who should be our clean up hitter right now?

kevingrt
05-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Who else is hot on this team that is gonna bat there? Let Paulie break out of his slump, He's a good player and can do it himself.

mealfred13
05-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Should Paulie (.209 average) be taken out of the clean up role? I know the past few games we've been scoring runs and Paulie will hit eventually, but maybe he should bat 5th or 6th until he heats up.

Then agian, we don't have many hot hitters. Who should be our clean up hitter right now?

He looked to be on the verge if killing the ball today. I think he's been working on something with his stance or swing, from what Hawk mentioned during the game. He was getting ahead of most of the pitches and pulling them hard, but I'm hoping he's about to break out of that slump.

The bad thing about Paulie has always been that he's extremely hard on himself when he's slumping, much like Crede, which seems to do more harm than good. Moving him around at this point might be a bad thing for him, especially when he seems to be about to come out of it. I say leave him there for another week or so, and then move him up to 5 or 6 if he's still struggling.

ChiSox7
05-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Let Iguchi bat cleanup. He's our best hitter.

Paul hasn't even hit a HR in almost 2 weeks.

ExpoPuddingHead
05-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Let Iguchi bat cleanup. He's our best hitter.

Paul hasn't even hit a HR in almost 2 weeks.

Paulie hasn't hit a HR in two weeks but iguchi's last homer was back in Japan.

dcb33
05-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Why mess with the team at this point? We're winning games hand over fist and other guys in the lineup have been picking up Konerko. Messing with what the team has going now seems pretty silly to me.

SoxxoS
05-01-2005, 05:16 PM
I hope this isn't another one of his "down" years...circa 2003. Whoa that would be bad news.

ChiSox7
05-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Paulie hasn't hit a HR in two weeks but iguchi's last homer was back in Japan.

Point was that even when Konerko is sucking he usually hits an occasional HR. Now he is doing absolutely nothing. He is hitting under .100 with RISP. He's gotta pick it up. Luckily he has more crappy pitching in his future with two of the next three series agianst KC and TB.

And I know Iguchi isn't a cleanup hitter, and he doesn't hit for much power, but he is a life saver with a huge OBP and BA. He has really is our best htiter.

jabrch
05-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Keep him there...let him hit his way out of it. He's earned that right in my book.

peeonwrigley
05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Paulie has earned the right to work his way out of the slump. If he's in the same shape in a couple weeks, then we might want to try to something else, like moving him around in the order or giving him a few days off to get Gload some ABs.

duke of dorwood
05-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Put Everett there-move Pyrszinski to third-Aaron to fifth=Konerko 6th

SOX ADDICT '73
05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I love Paulie, but if he doesn't break out of this slump soon, it'll be tough for him to salvage a decent season. In 2003 he hit so poorly in the 1st half, that even though he was pretty much lights-out after the All-Star break, he only managed a .234 average on the year.

kevingrt
05-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Why mess with the team at this point? We're winning games hand over fist and other guys in the lineup have been picking up Konerko. Messing with what the team has going now seems pretty silly to me.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

MeanFish
05-01-2005, 06:25 PM
I hope this isn't another one of his "down" years...circa 2003. Whoa that would be bad news.

For what it's worth, Paulie broke out of his '03 slump in a big way after the ASG. And it's not that he wasn't hitting the ball when he was slumping (I know, he was hitting under the mendoza line. But he was certainly making contact, the balls just weren't falling). I remember at one point he had hit in seven consecutive games and people were screaming for him to be taken out of the lineup because he was SUCH an anti-clutch, destructive out. I think he'll break out of it sooner than later; he's been slumping for like two weeks, which is not exactly unheard of.

Let's wait a couple more weeks to proclaim that the sky is falling, eh?

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Remember that Paulie started slowley last year but really picked it up in May.

veeter
05-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Konerko hits the ball hard all the time. When you're in a slump it goes right at people. He'll be fine...soon.

fuzzy_patters
05-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Keep in mind that Konerko has historically been a warm weather hitter. Remember a couple of weeks back when he was hitting the homeruns? It was warm out then. Now, it is cold, and he is in a slump. We just have to hope that summer comes early this year. If we have a long, cool spring, PK will suffer from it.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
..... like moving him around in the order or giving him a few days off to get Gload some ABs.

Gload is on the DL.

Paulie is hitting the ball hard. We've got the Royals coming to town, we don't have to tinker with things to beat them. Leave him for now.

bobelou72
05-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Paulie will be fine. who else would you put their ? maybe we could Re- activate Greg Walker to bat 4th :D:

Iguana775
05-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I sure hope he will be fine. i have him on my fantasy team.

Ol' No. 2
05-01-2005, 10:30 PM
How many balls has Pauly hit hard, but right at someone? The DP on Saturday night would have been a bases-clearing double if it was just a couple of feet over either way. A few today were the same way. All a hitter can do is hit the ball hard. If someone happens to be standing right there, that's just bad luck. But luck turns. He really hit a few hard today, but he was ahead in his timing and fouling them off. He looks to me to be right on the verge of breaking out. And when he gets hot, with the leadoff hitters getting on base, they could score a lot of runs.

Huisj
05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Keep in mind that Konerko has historically been a warm weather hitter. Remember a couple of weeks back when he was hitting the homeruns? It was warm out then. Now, it is cold, and he is in a slump. We just have to hope that summer comes early this year. If we have a long, cool spring, PK will suffer from it.

Will Konerko be doomed then if the Sox ever make the playoffs?

A side note . . . why do opposing radio/tv announcers often seem to say Kornurko like there's an extra r in it and a funny sounding vowel in the second syllable? Has anyone else ever noticed this? I heard it with the tigers announcers this weekend some, and on my old baseball game on my computer, it did that too.

doublem23
05-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Of the last 8 AB by Paul Konerko I've seen, probably 4 have been missiles that he just hit right at someone.

The hits will fall.

StepsInSC
05-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Remember that Paulie started slowley last year but really picked it up in May.

2004:

April: .299 AVG, 5 HR, 13 RBI, .918 OPS
May: .256 AVG, 5 HR, 21 RBI, .846 OPS

SOX ADDICT '73
05-01-2005, 11:14 PM
2004:

April: .299 AVG, 5 HR, 13 RBI, .918 OPS
May: .256 AVG, 5 HR, 21 RBI, .846 OPS
Aw, what's 90 points in batting average? He's got 2 more homers!

JB98
05-01-2005, 11:14 PM
The attitude of some posters in this thread reflects the management style of Jerry Manuel. Tinker Tinker.

Others have an unfounded fear that another 2003 is around the corner for Paulie. He's on pace to hit 45 HRs and drive in 111 runs, despite swinging the bat very poorly for most of this month. Relax. He'll be fine.

StepsInSC
05-01-2005, 11:23 PM
The attitude of some posters in this thread reflects the management style of Jerry Manuel. Tinker Tinker.

Others have an unfounded fear that another 2003 is around the corner for Paulie. He's on pace to hit 45 HRs and drive in 111 runs, despite swinging the bat very poorly for most of this month. Relax. He'll be fine.

I agree. I don't get to watch games, but in listening to every one it sounds like he's hitting the ball hard a lot of the times...just right at people.

But then again he also seems to be striking out a lot, almost half as many times as he did the entire year in 2003. Interesting.

JB98
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
I agree. I don't get to watch games, but in listening to every one it sounds like he's hitting the ball hard a lot of the times...just right at people.

But then again he also seems to be striking out a lot, almost half as many times as he did the entire year in 2003. Interesting.

Two of his outs were hit hard today. One was right at the center fielder, and the Detroit SS made a nice pickup on him in his last at-bat. He also hit a foul ball today that had HR distance. I think he's getting close to breaking out. I'm optimistic about Paulie.

But then again, I'm a notorious Friend of PK. :cool:

schmitty9800
05-01-2005, 11:58 PM
While his average is low, his slugging pct is .473, and he has a lot of walks. He's still good offensively and plus the average will increase next month.

DaleJRFan
05-02-2005, 12:37 AM

no way. I was at the game saturday and every single at bat he killed the ball, just hit it to someone. once he starts hitting those frozen ropes between the fielders, he'll be back to his ol' ways... he is killing he ball... just not catching breaks. All of Tadahito's hits are seeing-eye grounders through the infield... Konerko needs some luck. Let's all root for him instead of dropping him in the order. If they drop him in the order, who moves up?? Rowand?? Timo? Crede??