PDA

View Full Version : If Garland starts the All-Star game...

Bisco Stu
05-01-2005, 04:49 PM
...would he be the first #5 starter to start an AS game?

StockdaleForVeep
05-01-2005, 04:55 PM

I believe the concept of a 5th starter is just a number, you can have 5 legit all star starters yet someone is gonna have to be the 5th

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 04:58 PM
As Tony Larussa said after the first time around the rotation everybody is a number 1 because thats who is going to the mound on the certain day. The only time the #5 comes into play is if you skip him because of a rain delay or to get back to the ace.

A. Cavatica
05-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes...since Esteban Loaiza.

flo-B-flo
05-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Today JG is spinning another one. You can tell by the various bad swings when a guy has the stuff. JG has it today.

TheOldRoman
05-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Like Stockdale said, numbers are not important. As long as everyone is pitching well and not missing starts, thats all that matters. However, Ozzie said recently that he will likely split up Contreras and El Duque because they are both "6 or 7" inning pitchers, and its a strain on the BP having that two games in a row. Garland will likely move into the 4 spot with El Duque dropping to the 5, not that it matters, though.

As for the original question, Loaiza started 2003 as the #5, but he was our #1 by the AS break.

Rocklive99
05-01-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't think he'd start, he's been awesome, but I think they'd put Santana, Halladay, and Johnson in front of him (so far)

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 05:26 PM
and don't forget Buehrle

aniceItch
05-01-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't think he'd start, he's been awesome, but I think they'd put Santana, Halladay, and Johnson in front of him (so far)

I agree that he probably wont be starting come all-star time.
but IF we're gonna talk about "so far" ... id be furious if anyone of those guys, especially Johnson, we're starting over garland. Best ERA. Soon to be the first to 5 wins. and unlike the other 3 guys you've mentioned, he hasnt lost. Oh, and he is on one of the worst offensive teams in the AL.

OK ok, i might let Santana and his 17 game winning streak start, but IF our pitching staff continues this greatness, ONE of them has to be starting. IMHO.
Do you think im biased?

santo=dorf
05-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Yes...since Esteban Loaiza.
LOL

Has it been that long?

iamkoza
05-01-2005, 05:33 PM
it;s going to take a lot of wins to get any white sox players into an all-star game.... lets hope this year there arent 9 yankees

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 05:41 PM
it;s going to take a lot of wins to get any white sox players into an all-star game.... lets hope this year there arent 9 yankees

Francona is managing so I doubt there will be 9 yankees.

jake27
05-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes...since Esteban Loaiza.zing!

doublem23
05-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Francona is managing so I doubt there will be 9 yankees.

Yankees... Red Sox... Same thing. :angry:

Bisco Stu
05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
JG is the #3 ranked SP at CBS Sportsline.

TheBull19
05-01-2005, 05:51 PM
IF we're gonna talk about "so far" ... id be furious if anyone of those guys, especially Johnson, we're starting over garland.

I wouldn't be, the All-Star's should be considered for all-time achievement, not just one half of a season. RJ is an all-time great, and it wouldn't bother me at all if he started even if someone else has better 1st half numbers. It's bothered me in the past when Frank gets bypassed by some one-year-wonder with similar numbers halfway through one year, so I'll apply the same for others of his stature.

aniceItch
05-01-2005, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be, the All-Star's should be considered for all-time achievement, not just one half of a season. RJ is an all-time great, and it wouldn't bother me at all if he started even if someone else has better 1st half numbers. It's bothered me in the past when Frank gets bypassed by some one-year-wonder with similar numbers halfway through one year, so I'll apply the same for others of his stature.

I actually agree. If randy johnson had great numbers, i understand your argument. but he doesnt. He has started five games, and gave up at least 5 runs in three of them (i think). Thats why letting a guy like Santana start with his 17 game winning streak makes sense. And Johnson, Santana, and Halladay are the reason that I said I dont think Garland will be starter material come all-star break. If Johnson still has a 3.75 ERA and is still a .500 pitcher, he shouldnt be starting.

kevingrt
05-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I would hope if he started the All-Star Game he wouldn't be traded by the end of the year like Esteban...

TheBull19
05-01-2005, 06:20 PM
If randy johnson had great numbers, i understand your argument. but he doesnt.

True, he'd still have be having a good season, but if he were, say, 10-5 with a 3.50 era and JG was 12-3 with a 2.80 era, it wouldn't bother me if RJ got the start. That's just my personal opinion, obviously not Torre's based on his recent all-star selections. We'll see what Francona's philosophy is on that soon, and then next year Ozzie's

StockdaleForVeep
05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Yankees... Red Sox... Same thing. :angry:

Yeah, instead of a .333 hittin rookie in iguchi, he'll pick a .227 hittin renteria.

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I have a feeling that Iguchi will be voted in. We've seen what happens to international stars and Iguchi was an extremely popular player in Japan.

Lillian
05-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I know it's early, but it doesn't make sense for Garland to be the 5th starter. He will be the odd man out when there is a rainout, or extra day off. It makes more sense to me to have him be at least number four in the rotation. Why not take El Duque's turn? Hernandez is going to have to be rested more than anyone, because of his age. Doesn't it seem logical to have them switch places in the rotation, at the first opportunity?

gosox41
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Let's not get to far ahead of ourselves.

:D:

Bob

Rocklive99
05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I agree that he probably wont be starting come all-star time.
but IF we're gonna talk about "so far" ... id be furious if anyone of those guys, especially Johnson, we're starting over garland. Best ERA. Soon to be the first to 5 wins. and unlike the other 3 guys you've mentioned, he hasnt lost. Oh, and he is on one of the worst offensive teams in the AL.

OK ok, i might let Santana and his 17 game winning streak start, but IF our pitching staff continues this greatness, ONE of them has to be starting. IMHO.
Do you think im biased?

Actually you're right, I was looking at all the stats without thinking of today's start.

batmanZoSo
05-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Starting the all-star game is a matter of luck, too. Whoever's got the most well-rested arm will usually go the first three innings. Then the other guys will get token looks just to get into the game.