PDA

View Full Version : Is testing the reason so many on DL?

Fenway
05-01-2005, 03:40 PM
leave it to the NY Post to ask a question that many are thinking

THE 'ROID DIAGNOSIS
SIX closers are currently on the disabled list. The date of reigning NL MVP Barry Bonds' first at-bat remains a mystery. Boston's 1-2 starters are on the DL and the Cubs' top two starters always seem one pitch away from joining them.

TheOldRoman
05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, I dont know if I would include Boston's top two in roids speculation. Schilling reinjured the ankle that was operated on, and David Wells is on the DL with pulled fat.

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I think Wells is to fat to take roids.

doublem23
05-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Perhaps... On ESPN one of their talking heads postulated that so many closers are having trouble right now because those that were on the juice that are now clean are not getting the same kind of result that they were before. So who knows?

Cubbiesuck13
05-02-2005, 01:50 AM
I would bet the overall games played per player will go down significantly this year. From the scapegoats...I mean players that have popped this year it is obvious that not only are the monsters like shaME on the juice but the slimmer players as well. I think 'roids were mainly used for the stamina factor. As far as how that affects the DL I wouldn't know. I think it is fair to assume that their body will go through some sort of withdrawal and the nagging injuries may not heal as quickly as they did in years past.

PAPChiSox729
05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
No offense to this thread, but these steriod threads are really starting to annoy me. Now the DL idea makes some sense but it seems that people are looking for any kind of evidence of steriods. The whole thing of closers struggling just seems like it has been a bad time for closers. Players and pitchers slump. Over the course of the season we will see whether these steroid rumors come to fruition. Lets not waste our time discussing who could be on steroids.

balke
05-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I was wondering today about Bonds. How long does steroids stay in your system? I've never heard an answer to that question. I don't doubt that he's having knee problems, but it just seems like any normal year, he'd just be out there swinging.

daveeym
05-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't think being on the DL get's you out of testing. So I don't think it matters.

Flight #24
05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't think being on the DL get's you out of testing. So I don't think it matters.

IMO is the link that esp for relief pitchers, steroids would give you faster recovery, i.e. the ability to bounce back more quickly between appearances. Enter increased testing, which leads to fewer guys on the juice. All of a sudden, what was a "normal" workload for them very quickly becomes overuse because they can't recover as quickly. Compound that with a possible loss of velocity and/or overthrowing as a result and you have a recipe for injury.

100% speculation, but if you continue to see relievers on the DL en masse, it's almost certainly a factor.