PDA

View Full Version : Couch using WSI for material

hose
05-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Greg Couch's article starts off with a WSI quote.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg01.html

He'll probably be gunning for Hangar next.:wink:

gosox41
05-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Greg Couch's article starts off with a WSI quote.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg01.html

He'll probably be gunning for Hangar next.:wink:

Gee another negative article about the Sox by Couch. There's a shock. Looks like he lurks here but doesn't have the guts to post here ( at least that I've seen.)

At least for the most part he got his facts right which is more then I can say for the Moron who writes for the same paper.

Bob

JoseCanseco6969
05-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Gee another negative article about the Sox by Couch. There's a shock. Looks like he lurks here but doesn't have the guts to post here ( at least that I've seen.)

At least for the most part he got his facts right which is more then I can say for the Moron who writes for the same paper.

Bob

I never imagined a chicago writer to use that many quotes from our site! Even though he seems to try and show how bitter and negative we are...it's cool to be mentioned in the Cub-times period even in that way.

hose
05-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I never imagined a chicago writer to use that many quotes from our site! Even though he seems to try and show how bitter and negative we are...it's cool to be mentioned in the Cub-times period even in that way.

I would rather he quote from a thread instead of chat during the game. This way it would be easier to check his accuracy.

The Racehorse
05-01-2005, 08:46 AM
I would rather he quote from a thread instead of chat during the game. This way it would be easier to check his accuracy.

He'd have to register in order to enter the chat room... I wonder what his handle is?

hose
05-01-2005, 08:53 AM

May be Hal or Lip can get an interview, seems like Couch wants to know what WSI is talking about.

I'll still give Couch plenty of slack after he exposed the Cub ticket scandal.:worship:

kevingrt
05-01-2005, 09:28 AM

Weird conversations go on in that chat room, I wonder why he would quote from that? A thread is much more "official" to me.

TornLabrum
05-01-2005, 09:32 AM
May be Hal or Lip can get an interview, seems like Couch wants to know what WSI is talking about.

I'll still give Couch plenty of slack after he exposed the Cub ticket scandal.:worship:

It would have to be Lip. I don't do interviews with people I don't respect...and that includes most of the working sports media types in this town, including Mr. Couch.

voodoochile
05-01-2005, 09:43 AM

Actually, he did use the gamethread. I don't know if he realizes the difference between the chatroom and the gamethread. He may have just used chat in the generic sense.

ode to veeck
05-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Well, at least he came to the right place, but to title an article that he loves Burly, Jon, and the Twinks? Fire the bastard. How do people like this get a job at a Chicago paper these days?

elrod
05-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Not a bad article, actually. At least it focuses on the real issue: our starting pitching and how well it will stand up. I didn't think the quotes reflected poorly on us at all. It just showed we're a bunch of die-hard Sox fans who get up or down depending on how the game is going. How is that different from any other baseball fan (excepting Cubs fans, of course, who make such a fetish out of losing that they're too cool to experience authentic human emotions)?

elrod
05-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, at least he came to the right place, but to title an article that he loves Burly, Jon, and the Twinks? Fire the bastard. How do people like this get a job at a Chicago paper these days?

We haven't knocked the Twins off their perch yet. We went up 5 games, and then very quickly went back to 1.5 up. The Twins are a very good ballclub.

Jjav829
05-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Weird conversations go on in that chat room, I wonder why he would quote from that? A thread is much more "official" to me.

The chat....weird conversations? Noooooo! :smile:

He'd have to register in order to enter the chat room... I wonder what his handle is?

ChiSox7? :smile:

balke
05-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I think he was pretty much right about everything. I don't think Contreras will falter, we haven't even seen one of his dominant performances yet. And obviously, I don't think we'll lose to the Twinks, although having Morneau back seems to be huge for them so far.

Our pitching is for real, and our bats will pick up. Really, we've had a lot of people on bases the past few days, we just haven't made "The Big HIT" to drive in runs. All season before that, we were getting the big hit with not many people on base. I'm not even close to conceding the division yet. As a matter of fact, I predict we'll give Santana a loss next time we see him.

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 10:35 AM
I dont think he's all that far off on our starters. Until they prove themselves otherwise, this probably isnt innaccurate:

Here's what I think: Garland will be good all year but not a star. Hernandez will tire out at the end. Contreras will have an average record, throwing great one day, terribly the next.

El Duque hasnt pitched 200 innings in years and he's well on pace for that. Contreras still has yet to prove he can pitch well against non-AL Central teams (not that he's been given the chance, and it is true that Minnesota and Detroit, how have comprised two of his five opponents, are up there in offense) and that always seemed to be his bugaboo. The efficiency is still nowhere to be found and one of his biggest problems, his inability to find the strikezone from the stretch, still looks to be present. If he cant throw strikes from the stretch, he will never be a good starter. If he can, then he will be dominating. It's that simple.

Garland I sorta disagree on because I think if he pitches the way that he has been, even though he might start to give up a few more hits and homers, will be better than good this year and will give the White Sox a formidible front 3 instead of just the big 2 in Buehrle and Garcia.

And besides, it's always fun to be quoted (anonymously) in the paper :smile:

soxfanreggie
05-01-2005, 10:37 AM
One good thing is that he could cause a lot more Sox fans to jump on the WSI messageboard wagon. Most publicity is good publicity.

ChiSox7
05-01-2005, 10:40 AM

ChiSox7? :smile:

You're bad Jjav. :tongue: I'm a sportswriter, but certainly not that one. I do wish I covered the Sox though!

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I think Greg Couch has been taking classes at the Jay Moronotti School of Journalism.

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I think Greg Couch has been taking classes at the Jay Moronotti School of Journalism.

At least Couch has written one set of important articles (the Cubs ticket scapling scam series), unlike the Windsock who has never written a quality article since coming to the Sun Times.

Soxzilla
05-01-2005, 10:56 AM
You're bad Jjav. :tongue: I'm a sportswriter, but certainly not that one. I do wish I covered the Sox though!

LOL, I was actually going to say the same thing as jjav. But it's all good chisox7, as long as we are all happy with a winner, and pissed after a loser;).

Anyways, I'm willing to bet half those comments in that article were in teal. Then again, considering I witnessed that sorry display of baseball firsthand at the cell...maybe they weren't.:rolleyes:

Brian26
05-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Actually, he did use the gamethread. I don't know if he realizes the difference between the chatroom and the gamethread. He may have just used chat in the generic sense.

You're absolutely correct. He's referring to the Friday Night game thread as a "chat room". He quoted me...

Just a tremendous job by PK there to move to the foul territory side of first base to give Contreras a target. Nice quick inning.

And then Couch writes:

That was posting No. 3 on WhiteSoxInteractive.com Friday night as the most hyperactive Sox fans started watching the game against Detroit and logging into their running chat room. And their joy went past pitcher Jose Contreras. "Just a tremendous job by PK [Paul Konerko],'' another early post said.

jackbrohamer
05-01-2005, 11:51 AM

Couch apparently couldn't be bothered going to the ballgame and talking to fans there. Guess it's easier for him to do all the investigative reporting in a bathrobe in front of his computer at home than attending a game.

TornLabrum
05-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Couch apparently couldn't be bothered going to the ballgame and talking to fans there. Guess it's easier for him to do all the investigative reporting in a bathrobe in front of his computer at home than attending a game.

:moron

"I've taught my disciple well."

Mickster
05-01-2005, 11:55 AM

http://images.suntimes.com/images4/columnists/couch.jpg
"You expect me to go to a game at the Cell? Are you nuts? Jay said it was a hell-hole!"

hose
05-01-2005, 12:16 PM

http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/p/voices/BB_ken_rosenthal.gif

"The Sox have Podsednik in center and a second baseman from Japan with no range or arm to turn the double play." Brett Tomko says Pierzinski is a cancer in the clubhouse and is kicking ballbags, Jay Mariotti says the Cell is a hell hole with broken glass in the parking lot. What more do you need to know about the Sox?"

Jjav829
05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I think it would be better if he used actual poster names. Not to take anything away from those who actually made the posts he quoted, but just imagine...

"Contreras looks awesome out there.''

That was posting No. 3 by santo=dorf on WhiteSoxInteractive.com Friday night as the most hyperactive Sox fans started watching the game against Detroit and logging into their running chat room. And their joy went past pitcher Jose Contreras.

"Just a tremendous job by PK [Paul Konerko],'' Navaro's Talent said.

"Seems to be throwing a lot of pitches,'' ChiSox14305635 wrote about Contreras in post No. 10

"Ed Farmer's an idiot,'' said CubsfansareDRUNK, as the Sox kept getting guys on base but not scoring.

"Corpse ball,'' batmanZoSo wrote.

"I have no optimism whatsoever,'' HomeFish said.

"Maybe the 'experts' were right,'' DumpJerry said.

"I just turned off the game,'' pasquasroachclip said as the Sox came to bat in the 11th, down 3-2. "Talk to you later.''

Note that I don't mean to characterize any posters by linking their names to these posts. I just think it would be funny to see names like these linked to the quotes in the article. :D:

voodoochile
05-01-2005, 12:26 PM
I think it would be better if he used actual poster names. Not to take anything away from those who actually made the posts he quoted, but just imagine...

Note that I don't mean to characterize any posters by linking their names to these posts. I just think it would be funny to see names like these linked to the quotes in the article. :D:

I have to agree. I would die laughing to see Santo=Dorf or Pasqua'sroachclip written in a mainstream newspaper...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-01-2005, 12:26 PM

LOL! No kidding. We ought to be thankful. If Couch had found his way to the REAL chatroom the "wierdness" Couch reports would have been doubled.

:wink:

Lip Man 1
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
I sent Greg an e-mail, thought you'd be interested in seeing it:

Greg:

Many thanks for mentioning WSI in your column today. I know you didn't have to do that but it is appreciated.

Personally I think the Sox will start to hit, the latest news on Frank Thomas is that he's running much better (story on Saturday) and Williams is always good for a deal at the trade deadline, besides with the way the Yanks and Red Sox have been playing (Red Sox pitching is currently a black hole) who's to say the Central can't get two teams this year?

I have reservations as well... I just think the things that are wrong with the Sox can get fixed. No guarantees that will translate into a post season spot, but even if it doesn't I'll take a 90 win season or so...sure beats the 83 they have averaged since the start of the 1998 season.
Lip

Daver
05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
LOL! No kidding. We ought to be thankful. If Couch had found his way to the REAL chatroom the "wierdness" Couch reports would have been doubled.

:wink:

He's registered, he'll prolly find it eventually.

TheBull19
05-01-2005, 12:32 PM
"I have no optimism whatsoever." posted by Homefish.

Unfortunately the rest of the sports page reading world wouldn't have known the significance of that quote.

Jjav829
05-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately the rest of the sports page reading world wouldn't have known the significance of that quote.

OK, so I lied. I did put HomeFish for that quote on purpose because, well, it's such a HomeFish quote. :D:

SOXSINCE'70
05-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Someone should tell this douche bag the Cards won't allow
his beloved sCrUBbies to SNIFF second place.If there is a baseball God,
the sCrUBS will finish lower than the Pirates in 2005.:D: :D:

Yeah,Greg.YOU SUCK!!The Sox will be here all year.
If you don't like us,WE DON'T CARE!!!!:angry: :angry:

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 12:58 PM

Hey that first Contreras one was by yours truly, not santo=dorf :D:

santo=dorf
05-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I have to agree. I would die laughing to see Santo=Dorf or Pasqua'sroachclip written in a mainstream newspaper...

I thought the same thing too, however it was MRKARNO who said Contreras looked "awesome."

It would've been funny seeing in print in a major Chicago newspaper that Homefish has no optimism. :D:

MarkyBear
05-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Link to story is HERE (http://www.suntimes.com/index/couch.htmll)

Greg Couch Sun-Times article where he prints some posts from this site here...

Thread title is title of arcticle and you might have to be registered to read the article, sorry...

Edit: Not working now for some reason, here's the link to his cloumns:

http://www.suntimes.com/index/couch.html

flo-B-flo
05-01-2005, 05:59 PM

Bob This was my immediate thought. More mopery by something I fart on all day: COUCH. :smile:

flo-B-flo
05-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Couch apparently couldn't be bothered going to the ballgame and talking to fans there. Guess it's easier for him to do all the investigative reporting in a bathrobe in front of his computer at home than attending a game. Send Mitch Albom. :wink:

gobears1987
05-01-2005, 06:42 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49136
He wasn't using the chat, he was using the gameday thread and mistated it as the chat. He isn't likely a member so I doubt he's been in the chat.

Daver
05-01-2005, 06:57 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49136
He wasn't using the chat, he was using the gameday thread and mistated it as the chat. He isn't likely a member so I doubt he's been in the chat.

He is registered here.

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 07:01 PM
He is registered here.What's his username.

Daver
05-01-2005, 07:04 PM
What's his username.

Your WHAT hurts?

Brian26
05-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Your WHAT hurts?

Heh heh. :D: I get it.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Jose:

When the Cubs accused a Sox fan of pouring something onto the ivy at Wrigley. Ron Rapoport of the Sun-Times used numerous quotes from WSI to describe Sox fans outrage at that ludicrous comment.

Among the best that I remember Ron showcasing was one that said it was Sosa urinating and his steroid soaked pee killed the ivy.

LOL

Ah those were good memories...

Lip

Rocklive99
05-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Mr. Karno is famous! http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=670809&postcount=4