PDA

View Full Version : Change in Baldwin trade.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 06:39 PM
This is the AP story read the last few lines:
Dodgers get Baldwin for three minor leaguers
By TOM WITHERS
AP Sports Writer
July 26, 2001

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Pitcher James Baldwin, on the trading block since signing a one-year contract this winter, was sent from the Chicago White Sox to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday for three minor leaguers.

The Dodgers, desperate for starting pitching, gave up left-hander Onan Masaoka, right-hander Gary Majewski and outfielder Jeff Barry for Baldwin and cash.

Baldwin was informed of the deal about three hours before he was scheduled to start against the Cleveland Indians.

``It really hasn't hit me yet,'' Baldwin said. ``It's kind of sad because I've been with the White Sox my whole career. I'll miss everything about Chicago, the fans, the front office, the pizza, everything.''

With Darren Dreifort and Andy Ashby out for the season following surgeries and Kevin Brown out until late August with elbow trouble, the Dodgers have had to piece together a starting rotation.

Baldwin will bring them immediate help.

Los Angeles entered Thursday night's game against Colorado trailing first-place Arizona by 1 1/2 games in the NL West. The Dodgers also lead in the wild card race.

``We are excited to have a veteran pitcher the caliber of James Baldwin join our staff,'' Dodgers interim general manager Dave Wallace said. ``He not only fits well into our starting rotation, but also allows us to keep the depth of our relief corps.''

The 30-year-old Baldwin was 7-5 with a 4.61 ERA this season for the White Sox, who signed the right-hander to a one-year contract in January.

He had won five of his last six starts while pitching with his name popping up in all kinds of deals as the July 31 trading deadline approaches.

There were several scouts at Thursday's game, perhaps not aware that Baldwin had already been dealt.

Baldwin, who went 14-7 in 2000, said he knew he wasn't in Chicago's long-term plans when the White Sox only offered him a one-year deal during the offseason.

``It's been kind of tough to go out there and pitch when you don't know if you're going to be here or not,'' he said. ``It's been difficult for me and my family.

``I knew coming into this year that it would be tough for me to stay with all the young arms in this organization. I'm just glad it's all over.''

The White Sox say don't be fooled by the trade. They're still intent on defending their AL Central title. Chicago began the night trailing first-place Cleveland by nine games.

``We're not sending up a white flag, we're taking down the flag,'' said manager Jerry Manuel. ``It's a tough time to have a starter traded, but we have to bite the bullet.''

Baldwin was coming off shoulder surgery and went through a stretch this season when he was winless over six starts.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams said it hurts to see Baldwin leave.

``James has been a big part of the White Sox family,'' Williams said. ``However, as a potential free agent, we did not see him fitting into our plans for next season, and this trade allows us to add three quality arms.''

Baldwin's departure was tough on all the White Sox.

``I haven't been here that long,'' said shortstop Royce Clayton. ``But J.B. was the heart and soul of this ballclub. He did a lot more than take the ball every fifth day, it's a big void to fill.''

The White Sox are getting back Majewski, who was with them in spring training before being traded to Los Angeles for Antonio Osuna on March 19.

Majewski, 21, was 4-5 with a 6.24 ERA and one save in 23 games at Class A Vero Beach.

Masaoka, 23, went 8-4 with a 5.55 ERA in 31 games for the Dodgers' Triple-A Las Vegas affiliate. In two stints with the Dodgers, he was 3-5 with one save.

The White Sox initially sent out a press release saying they had gotten pitcher Jonathan Berry, but later corrected it to show they had obtained Barry, a 32-year-old who played in Japan last season.

sox_fan_4life
07-26-2001, 06:41 PM
The White Sox initially sent out a press release saying they had gotten pitcher Jonathan Berry, but later corrected it to show they had obtained Barry, a 32-year-old who played in Japan last season.

Just what we needed a 32 year old minor leaguer.

DuckSnort
07-26-2001, 06:42 PM
oh god... um.. I mean. good.. ANOTHER OFer... wow, we don't have a bazillion of those already.

i ate canada
07-26-2001, 06:49 PM
``We're not sending up a white flag, we're taking down the flag,'' said manager Jerry Manuel. ``It's a tough time to have a starter traded, but we have to bite the bullet.''

Sure, Jerry, sure....

``James has been a big part of the White Sox family,'' Williams said. ``However, as a potential free agent, we did not see him fitting into our plans for next season, and this trade allows us to add three quality arms.''

So now Kenny is calling a 32 year old who they didn't even get in the trade a "quality arm"? Be afraid people, be very afraid...