PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/30 Post-Game Thread Thanks Gooch!

NSSoxFan
04-30-2005, 09:58 PM
GO SOX.

Feels good to win again.

JUribe1989
04-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Now that is more like it! Big big big big hit by O E O Tada-hi-to!

ChiSox7
It's amazing and awesome that the best hitter on this team has seen one month of Major League pitching in his career. Iguchi is a life saver. I dont want to think where we would be without him.

JUribe1989
El Duque looked great after a semi-rough couple of innings.

Unregistered
04-30-2005, 10:00 PM
:winner

It's only been a few days, but it feels like months since the last time I was able to do that.

gobears1987
nice timely hitting with RISP!

spawn
Iguchi may be the most important signing KW made this off-season. He is so fundamentally sound, and just goes out day and night doing his job. With Crede on 3rd in the 7th, Iguchi is the only Sox regular I would've wanted hitting.

NSSoxFan

Hernandez looked great. I'm glad we got those three runs in the seventh to give him a W.

Rocklive99
Duque really settled in, and the hitting came when we needed

HD, Sox win, feels good :smile:

balke
04-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Another Quality start. Another great bullpen effort. Lot's of OBP, few runs :(:. But we got our 4 runs, WTG SOX!

chisoxmike
This wasn't the best game, but we'll take anything we can get right now.
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Soxzilla
El Duque, Tadahito Iguchi and Dustin Hermanson. All pick-ups by KW. All come up HUGE tonite, and have been all season.

CARLOS LEE WHAT?

cwsfannick
Sox grind this one out. Hopefully, this win provides them some confidence.

elrod
4 runs on 6 hits. Winning in spite of getting nothing with bases loaded and nobody out. I'll take it.

owensmouth
Now on to tomorrow and get back to taking series. Let's go Valley Boy Jon!!!

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2005, 10:02 PM
excellent EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT
WIN

Frater Perdurabo
Iguchi IS the Sox offensive MVP so far, and he has to be the favorite for the AL ROY

minastirith67
nice timely hitting with RISP!

Are you joking?

We had 0 outs, bases loaded and failed to score a run when the opportunity presented itself. That seems like poor, untimely hitting to me.

gobears1987
04-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Are you joking?

We had 0 outs, bases loaded and failed to score a run when the opportunity presented itself. That seems like poor, untimely hitting to me.
Did you see the 7th inning?

elrod
04-30-2005, 10:05 PM
I turned the game off after the bases loaded fiasco, figuring it was over. I went back to plugging in names of Kentucky and Missouri Civil War soldiers for my dissertation...and then I thought, hmm, maybe I'll check the score. And then there it was. A PLEASANT SURPRISE! The Sox were up 4-3. I love pleasant surprises.

AntoneSmith2
04-30-2005, 10:06 PM
I love this team!

doublem23
04-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Are you joking?

While I'll agree in principle, reading deeper into that stat, if Paul hits that balll 2-3 feet to the left or right it's at least an RBI and another bases loaded, no out situation. ****, even if he hits it a foot in either direction, I doubt Inge (whoever was at 3B) has time to react and double up Podsednik.

Paul just smoked that ****, unfortunately right at someone, and Podsednik did his job freezing on the line drive.

But yeah, another ugly game to watch. Nice to be on top, though.

This recent little rash of injuries has proven to me that the depth on this team is far more than discerning, it's utterly terrible. Definitely the Achille's heel of the 2005 Chicago White Sox.

JoseCanseco6969
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
It's amazing and awesome that the best hitter on this team has seen one month of Major League pitching in his career. Iguchi is a life saver. I dont want to think where we would be without him.

Yeah probably be a few games back. Great W. Lets win this series tomorrow!

voodoochile
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
excellent EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT
WIN

Don't quit your day job, Miss Cleo...

:cleo
"Me tinks Frater doesn not understand what the word premonition truly means."

WOOHOO!

GO SOX!

krohnjw
04-30-2005, 10:09 PM
I was gloom and doom after our 2nd bases loaded no out disaster, but it is nice to get another win :) Let's take tomorrow and get out with a series win.

batmanZoSo
Yeah probably be a few games back. Great W. Lets win this series tomorrow!

I've got a strange feeling...looking forward with relief to a Garland start.

voodoochile
Did you see the 7th inning?

Thank you. Nothing that can be done in that situation. Paulie killed the baseball right to the 3B and Pods was a gone goose when the ball basically took the defender right to the bag. Just rotten luck - a pure hang whiffum as Hawk might say...

But, who cares...

:winner

:supernana:

mealfred13
Is there any doubt at this point that Hermanson should be closing every day?

halfpricemonday
04-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Congrats to Ozzie on his 100th win! Now let's get that 101st tomorrow.

Unregistered
04-30-2005, 10:10 PM
BTW, Congrats to Ozzie on his 100th MLB victory. Here's to Ozzie getting 100 more this season. :gulp: :cool:

Jurr
04-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah........our depth is TERRIBLE. Widger...our backup catcher...he calls great games and was almost singlehandedly responsible for our win in Oakland. Ozuna...he's awful too...he can play almost any position and won us a game.

Willie Harris....one of the only Sox hitters batting over .300. He's been doing everything he can to help out.

Our depth is bad??????? Give me a f***** break.

Our guys are hurt, yet we had the (tied for) best April in franchise history.
Our depth is an achilles heel. Give me a break.

Jurr
04-30-2005, 10:15 PM
While I'll agree in principle, reading deeper into that stat, if Paul hits that balll 2-3 feet to the left or right it's at least an RBI and another bases loaded, no out situation. ****, even if he hits it a foot in either direction, I doubt Inge (whoever was at 3B) has time to react and double up Podsednik.

Paul just smoked that ****, unfortunately right at someone, and Podsednik did his job freezing on the line drive.

But yeah, another ugly game to watch. Nice to be on top, though.

This recent little rash of injuries has proven to me that the depth on this team is far more than discerning, it's utterly terrible. Definitely the Achille's heel of the 2005 Chicago White Sox.
The last line of this post absolutely astounds me. It's not the "depth" guys that have been the problem..it's the regulars. The "depth" guys have been great.

balke
04-30-2005, 10:16 PM

Are you kidding me? Willie Harris is our 3rd option at SS, and did a fantastic job tonight. Timo was our best backup in RF last year.. now that was sad. Sure, it sucks he played today, but we have better hitters for the outfield. Anderson would be much better than Timo IMO.

Then we have B-mac backing up our starters, and a whole pool of Relievers. Ben Davis in the Minors behind Widger. Gload on the DL for paulie. Carl Everett will be our #2 RF if Frank comes back, and Dye snaps out of his funk.

I think our Depth is the only thing keeping us alive through all of this. Slumping bats are our achilles heel at the moment.

SoxxoS
04-30-2005, 10:18 PM
We needed this win like Kathie Lee needs Regis.

elrod
04-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Once again, our starting pitching is lights out. In 24 games, 16 starts have been quality starts. And some of the other starts were 5IP 1ER (but high pitch count) games.

Frater Perdurabo
04-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Don't quit your day job, Miss Cleo...

:cleo
"Me tinks Frater doesn not understand what the word premonition truly means."

WOOHOO!

GO SOX!

I never said a premonition would come true.... :tongue:

I thought what was said in chat, stays in chat.... :redface:

I'm happier than anyone to have been wrong yesterday! :bandance:

Still doesn't mean the Sox offense is "fixed" (it won't be truly fixed until Frank gets fixed and gets back), but it's nice to see them keep plugging away and get the comeback win tonight! As good of a 1-2 punch Pods and Gooch are right now, do we have any idea how much better they will be with Frank batting right behind them! They will be unstoppable! Once Frank gets back, I predict many 2-0 and 3-0 first inning Sox leads.

The pitching rocks (even though El Duque is so frustrating to watch sometimes) :smile:

The defense rocks :smile:

The hitting was good enough to win tonight. :supernana:

:cool:

mealfred13
04-30-2005, 10:22 PM

Not to be an ass, but I don't think you mean discerning. I think you mean disconcerting. I'm pretty sure I saw a similar usage of the word in another thread so I figured I'd correct it this time.

In either case, I think our depth is relatively good at least as far as the bench and outfield go. As far as infield depth, we don't have much to work with in the minors, as most of the better players are a few years away. I don't expect to see Uribe, Iguchi AND Ozuna injured at the same time again this year (at least I sure hope not), so with Ozuna and Willie off the bench, I think we're just fine as far as infield depth goes.

Having 2 starters and an important SS backup down at the same time was a freak occurance, but I'm not gonna say our depth sucks because of it.

NSSoxFan
04-30-2005, 10:23 PM
We needed this win like Kathie Lee needs Regis.

Kanye, is that you?? :cool:

SoxSpeed22
04-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Are you joking?

We had 0 outs, bases loaded and failed to score a run when the opportunity presented itself. That seems like poor, untimely hitting to me.About *&^%in time.:bandance:

Jurr
04-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Nobody's even mentioning that Hermanson came out for the save. Fantasy players, listen up!! Shingo is done-zo!!!!!!!!!!

bobelou72
04-30-2005, 10:57 PM
We have the best record in baseball and are hitters are slumping Just wait till we start hitting:)

SOX ADDICT '73
04-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Before you all break your arms patting Iguchi on the back, you must realize you have me to thank for this win:

WOW. I didn't see that coming. :o:

I think I need a week or so away from this team. I'm not Chicken Little, and I'm the farthest thing from a fair-weather fan you'll ever find. But this has gotten unhealthy for me. These guys have brought out way too much negativity in me. My last few posts are apalling.

I'm taking a self-imposed time-out. I will continue to scoreboard watch and follow them in the papers, and I'll still post on WSI, but I'm not watching another inning of this garbage until next Saturday. Later, guys. :(:
I posted that after the sixth inning nightmare, and I was as good as my word. I actually got around to turning the off game DURING ARow's 7th inning at-bat (he had an 0-1 count, of course).

I also took off the black Sox jersey I'd been wearing all day (it last saw action during an exhibition loss in Milwaukee), and donned the brand new Sox t-shirt I picked up today.

Let's see if I can keep my vow when the Sox reel off five more wins in a row this week!

Lip Man 1
04-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I'll take the win it, was badly needed, but that hitting..... Jason Johnson (certainly no Johann Santana) was having his way with them for five or six innings. Got to get better. Go get em' tomorrow.

Oh by the way I think the Sox lead baseball in number of wins but the Cards have the highest winnning percentage. (That's regarding Bobelou 72's comment...)

Lip

MRKARNO
04-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Oh by the way I think the Sox lead baseball in number of wins but the Cards have the highest winnning percentage. (That's regarding Bobelou 72's comment...)

Lip

The White Sox have both the most wins at 17 and the best winning percentage at .708 right now.

balke
04-30-2005, 11:15 PM

Lip

We scored 2 more runs than they did tonight, and have a longer winning streak fwiw :wink:.

elrod
04-30-2005, 11:31 PM
White Sox: 17-7
Orioles: 16-7
Cardinals: 15-7
Twins: 15-8 :mad:

mealfred13
04-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Nobody's even mentioning that Hermanson came out for the save. Fantasy players, listen up!! Shingo is done-zo!!!!!!!!!!

See post #28:

Is there any doubt at this point that Hermanson should be closing every day?

And ironically I did put him on my fantasy league about 3 weeks into the season. Glad I did too.:tongue:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-30-2005, 11:34 PM
I am also relieved that the Royals finally beat someone today (extra special since it was the Indians :smile:).

This Sox team, the way they've been hitting, could not have handled the pressure of trying to extend an 11-game KC losing streak to 14. Much more likely they can push a 1-game losing streak (depending on how Lunatic Lima does tomorrow) to 4 games.

PAPChiSox729
04-30-2005, 11:34 PM

I hope the twins have a good record this year. It will be that much sweeter when we finish ahead of them!

SoxxoS
04-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I hope the twins have a good record this year. It will be that much sweeter when we finish ahead of them!

I hope they crash and burn.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-30-2005, 11:45 PM
I hope the twins have a good record this year.
Not me. I want to:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2757&stc=1

"Bury those cock-a-roaches!"

shaunburnette
04-30-2005, 11:52 PM

Story of his career :tongue:

PAPChiSox729
05-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I hope they crash and burn.

It would be cooler to win a tough division rather than winning an easy one. I'll take the win either way, but having some good competition will help.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Talk about a fluke, look to the Orioles. Their pitching isn't that damn good!

Lip

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 12:17 AM

Lip

Seriously, the White Sox, unlike a team like the O's, have the number to sustain their success in my view. While their offense is 11th in the AL, it's not far removed from the middle-tier teams. And as far as pitching goes we're so far ahead of everyone else (it's really nice to be able to say this!) that our start definitely cannot be considered to be too much of a fluke. As my sig notes, there is not a team within a run of our starter's ERA. It's quite incredible. When that total goes up with a 7 IP 3 ER performance like El Duque had tonight, you know you've got something special. If the offense can begin to pick it up and score the 4-5 runs a night we need them to be able to, we're going to win a lot of games.

elrod
05-01-2005, 12:17 AM

Lip

The Orioles are the 2003 Royals. All big, timely hits with mediocre pitching. Think Brian Roberts will keep it up?

voodoochile
05-01-2005, 12:24 AM

Lip

This is a valid point. The Sox haven't been blown out this season. They have lost 2 or more games in a row exactly once.

The pitching should keep the Sox in most games they play. The hitting will hopefully be enough before Frank comes back to keep the Sox in front of the Twinkies. It certainly has the pedigree, the questions remain - is it too streaky? Is it too old? Is it too injury prone?

The Sox are going to play a lot of close games this season. The Twinkies are not going to fold up and go away, period. They are a deep experienced team with more offensive talent (at present) as good of a bullpen and a very strong pitching staff.

People who are looking for the Sox to blow them out of the water in the first month of the season and not look back are delusional. Keep winning and the head to head may well decide the division...

Fake Chet Lemon
05-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Way to go Willie on manufacturing that run early in the game without a hit. That was smart ball to perfection.

Brian26
05-01-2005, 12:26 AM

We still have the best record in MLB. Nice!

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 12:28 AM
People who are looking for the Sox to blow them out of the water in the first month of the season and not look back are delusional. Keep winning and the head to head may well decide the division...

I'm not so convinced that we have to. If we battle the Twins the whole year and we lose out to them and we both have 95-96 wins (give or take), then who cares? This is where the Wild Card comes in. The White Sox may only be 1.5 games ahead of the Twins, but we're also 4.5 games ahead of Boston and Toronto, the second place wild card teams. It's not just the Twins we need to worry about this year. The Yankees doing poorly might be a blessing for the White Sox (or possibly the Red Sox doing poorly; their rotation is in shambles right now).

As far as I'm concerned, the two best teams in the AL are in the AL Central and both of them have a good chance of making the postseason.

elrod
05-01-2005, 12:44 AM
The biggest plus on the season so far is the starting pitching. How good is the starting pitching? Well, 4 of the top 11 pitchers in the AL in terms of ERA are White Sox starters. And who brings up the rear? Our ace, Buehrle, who slumped to 3.89 after getting shelled in Oakland.

AL Rank:
#1: Garland, 1.80
#7: El Duque, 2.70
#9: Garcia, 2.83
#11: JC, 3.04
#25: Buehrle, 3.89

The only other teams with multiple top-level starters are Oakland (Harden, 2.10 and Blanton, 2.67) and Toronto (Chacin, 2.48 and Halladay, 3.40). With that kind of starting pitching we will always be in games. Tonight, it was El Duque's gutsiness after the first couple innings that kept us in the game long enough before our bats woke up.

Also, consider our pitching against two of the top AL offenses, Detroit and Minnesota:

vs. Minnesota: Sox team ERA is 3.07 - The Twins average 4.91 runs/game
vs. Detroit: Sox team ERA is 2.17 - The Tigers average 5.5 runs/game
Even if you take off a bit for unearned runs, the Sox are dominating against the top offenses in the AL.

balke
05-01-2005, 12:57 AM
We are Only lower than the Braves and Marlins in ERA I believe, and they are National League. Cardinals were behind us last I checked.

boiler up
05-01-2005, 01:10 AM
nice game guys, let's get the bats goin tomorrow

Navaro's Talent
05-01-2005, 01:23 AM
I was there today, and things didn't look too good early on. Thankfully, Iguchi kicked butt today. He is turning out to be a really good hitter. Just imagine how good this guy will be when he gets more familiar with the league's pitchers! :o:

johnnyg83
05-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Anybody see Halliday's stuff against NY two nights (friday) ago?

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Alright guys, lets take 2/3

http://img33.echo.cx/img33/7716/kdfin3or.jpg

itsnotrequired
05-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Sig update time! Great to watch the fireworks tonight after a Sox win!:bandance:

jabrch
05-01-2005, 05:55 AM
30,000 out there tonight. Nice to see that!

The Racehorse
05-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Not me. I want to:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2757&stc=1

"Bury those cock-a-roaches!"

LMAO :cool:

I agree... they can finish last for all I care.

SpammySosa
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I turned the game off after the bases loaded fiasco, figuring it was over.

Fair weather fan.:tongue:

Soxzilla
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
It's sad that when we win, these post game threads are lucky to break 100 posts, but when we lose, it's a miracle if the complaining doesns't run past three tomato awards.

http://www.dickeyschmid.com/me/AceVentura.jpg
"Masochists ... much?"

balke
05-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Where's the props to Joe Crede? He's the one who started the big inning for us last night by driving in a run. And Willie scored for us without being driven in by a hit. Great showing from the WSI punching bags.

SpammySosa
05-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm not so convinced that we have to. If we battle the Twins the whole year and we lose out to them and we both have 95-96 wins (give or take), then who cares? This is where the Wild Card comes in. The White Sox may only be 1.5 games ahead of the Twins, but we're also 4.5 games ahead of Boston and Toronto, the second place wild card teams. It's not just the Twins we need to worry about this year. The Yankees doing poorly might be a blessing for the White Sox (or possibly the Red Sox doing poorly; their rotation is in shambles right now).

As far as I'm concerned, the two best teams in the AL are in the AL Central and both of them have a good chance of making the postseason.

Where's the Sox Pride settling for a Wild Card though? It still gets you to the dance,but why show up in a Pinto when you can get there by Limo?:redneck

ElDuque26
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Its the best feeling to know that going into everygame the Sox are gonna have a chance because you can pretty much bank on the fact that they are gonna be given up no more than 4 runs. And that takes a lot of pressure off of our hitters, i just cant wait for the middle of our order to heat up and show what we can do.

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Where's the Sox Pride settling for a Wild Card though? It still gets you to the dance,but why show up in a Pinto when you can get there by Limo?:redneck

2002 World Series Champions: Anaheim Angels
2002 AL West division champions: Oakland A's

2003 World Series Champions: Florida Marlins
2003 NL East Champions: Atlanta Braves

2004 World Series Champions: Boston Red Sox
2004 AL East Champions: New York Yankees

It's not how you get there, it's making sure that you get there.

SpammySosa
05-01-2005, 12:44 PM
2002 World Series Champions: Anaheim Angels
2002 AL West division champions: Oakland A's

2003 World Series Champions: Florida Marlins
2003 NL East Champions: Atlanta Braves

2004 World Series Champions: Boston Red Sox
2004 AL East Champions: New York Yankees

It's not how you get there, it's making sure that you get there.

I wasn't disputing the very well-known success of Wild Card teams in recent years. I think you missed the point.

MRKARNO
05-01-2005, 12:52 PM
I wasn't disputing the very well-known success of Wild Card teams in recent years. I think you missed the point.

I got the point, but my point is that I couldnt care less about whether or not we're division champs if we win the world series.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I got the point, but my point is that I couldnt care less about whether or not we're division champs if we win the world series.
Exactly. The only problem with not winning the division would be having to listen to Twins fans and the national mediots from the day they overtake us through the end of the regular season.

Although, if we win the world series as a wild card, it will mean we have beaten the Twins (or, more likely, the team that beats them, since they can't seem to escape the first round) in the ALCS.