PDA

View Full Version : Timo Perez

iamkoza
04-30-2005, 09:05 PM
cut, gone, please leave, he cant hit, he isnt a good fielder, i dont understand why he has a roster spot.

peeonwrigley
04-30-2005, 09:10 PM
If you listen to Hawk he comes through in the clutch... yeah, well I can look at about 3 straight games where he (along with everyone else) has sucked with men on in key situations.

He gone when 35 gets back. Please hurry back.

YourWHAThurts?
cut, gone, please leave, he cant hit, he isnt a good fielder, i dont understand why he has a roster spot.

Or like my pa used to say, "as useless as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest"!!!!!!!!!

doublem23
Because the depth on this team is atrocious.

The Wimperoo
04-30-2005, 09:12 PM
He's terrible. He always has been. The fact that he makes a million plus dollars is putrid.

iamkoza
04-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Hawk is awesome, but his hard-on for timo is disturbing, although who is going to play for timo? dye? ::shudders::

JRIG
04-30-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm happy people are coming around on this topic, but this is not what I was hearing in the off-season when I criticized the team for keeping Perez.

Back then it was all "Timo's clutch!!!"

JoseCanseco6969
04-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Yes...same goes for willie

JoseCanseco6969
04-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Hawk is awesome, but his hard-on for timo is disturbing, although who is going to play for timo? dye? ::shudders::

yes...Dye will come around

Timo just plain sucks...never was good. Hes a below average backup

MHOUSE
04-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Timo hit really well with RISP (and 2 outs?) last season, well over .350 I think and I remember him delivering several game-winning or game-tying hits. He bats left handed, runs the bases well, and can play anywhere in the outfield. You'd rather have Borchard up here? Give Timo a break.

doublem23
04-30-2005, 09:42 PM
You'd rather have Borchard up here? Give Timo a break.

Like I said... Depth... Atrocious. :)

NSSoxFan
04-30-2005, 09:48 PM
yes...Dye will come around

Timo just plain sucks...never was good. Hes a below average backup

I wouldn't go that far. Timo is an average backup, nothing more, nothing less. If you're batting him 5th in your line-up, you have problems.

Banix12
04-30-2005, 10:16 PM
On most teams he's a fifth outfielder, the one saving grace he has is he does have a very strong arm in the outfield. But he doesn't run well and he's never been a great hitter.

As I've said, it's probably a battle between Willie and Timo for the guy who will lose his job when Frank comes back. Right now Timo seems to be taking the lead to lose his job, as Willie seems to be making improvements in his game and taking well to the reserve role.

A poor hitting Jermaine Dye is still better than what you will usually get out of Timo. Jermaine at least has an upside and a decent track record of success. Timo's track record is of mediocrity.

Tragg
04-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Hawk's opinion is shared by many. All I heard was "clutch" when I questioned during the offseason a roster spot for a .290 OBP ballplayer who can't field

Charno
04-30-2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20040521/timo_82000.jpg
Look at this noble Jedi. Would you put him on the street?

mealfred13
04-30-2005, 10:37 PM
On most teams he's a fifth outfielder, the one saving grace he has is he does have a very strong arm in the outfield. But he doesn't run well and he's never been a great hitter.

Oh come on... He has a very strong arm, and even though he's not very fast, he runs good routes in the outfield and covers alot of ground because of it.

I don't know where you get this idea that he doesn't run well. (Unless you're talking about his speed alone.) Last year, he was extremely good at keeping pitcher's attention on him while leading off, leading to a lot of wild pitches and walks for the batters behind him. And as far as his hitting goes, you seem to have forgotten how well he was hitting when it counted, which was somewhere in the .400 range with RISP. Not only that, but he can lay down a bunt and get slappy hits over the infield while running ala Ichiro (while obviously nowhere on the same level as Ichiro).

He hasn't been doing the job at the plate as well as he did last year, except for that huge clutch homerun earlier in the season, but I think it's ridiculous to be jumping on his performance thus far after a month of games.

Where are all the "Paulie Sucks" threads? He hasn't exactly been putting Timo's stats to shame.

HITMEN OF 77
04-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Good speed and a base hit tonight, better than Dye has been doing lately. Timo isn't that bad. I'd rather see him play RF and Borchard.

JB98
04-30-2005, 10:58 PM

As I've said, it's probably a battle between Willie and Timo for the guy who will lose his job when Frank comes back. Right now Timo seems to be taking the lead to lose his job, as Willie seems to be making improvements in his game and taking well to the reserve role.

A poor hitting Jermaine Dye is still better than what you will usually get out of Timo. Jermaine at least has an upside and a decent track record of success. Timo's track record is of mediocrity.

A battle between Willie and Timo? Um, no. Look at the middle infielders we have both at the big-league level and down at Charlotte. Those are the positions we have the LEAST amount of depth at. I don't even like Harris, but I'm telling you, his job is safe.

Gload is a likely candidate to be sent packing when Frank gets healthy. We don't need three 1B/DHs.

Banix12
04-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh come on... He has a very strong arm, and even though he's not very fast, he runs good routes in the outfield and covers alot of ground because of it.

I don't know where you get this idea that he doesn't run well. (Unless you're talking about his speed alone.) Last year, he was extremely good at keeping pitcher's attention on him while leading off, leading to a lot of wild pitches and walks for the batters behind him. And as far as his hitting goes, you seem to have forgotten how well he was hitting when it counted, which was somewhere in the .400 range with RISP. Not only that, but he can lay down a bunt and get slappy hits over the infield while running ala Ichiro (while obviously nowhere on the same level as Ichiro).

He hasn't been doing the job at the plate as well as he did last year, except for that huge clutch homerun earlier in the season, but I think it's ridiculous to be jumping on his performance thus far after a month of games.

Where are all the "Paulie Sucks" threads? He hasn't exactly been putting Timo's stats to shame.

He hit the homerun in Minnesota but then you stick him in last night when a sac fly wins the game and he strikes out, we can duel clutch moments/not clutch moments all night and it won't get us anywhere. Yes, he is better with Runners in scoring position than most backups or most players, but his overall statistics have shown a steady decline over the last three years and with Frank coming midseason, he has to show why he should stick around and Willie and Ozuna are showing strong reasons to stick.

The truth is he is just a fifth OF on most teams. He was the sixth OF on the mets, that's why we got him for Ginter, who wasn't gonna make our bullpen

He does know how to run the bases and he is a pretty good defender (I never said he wasn't), but yes he lacks the speed on the basepaths and if the pitcher has half a brain Timo isn't a distraction because he knows he has no speed. Dumb pitchers who equate small guy=speed, get rattled by him. Granted, there are a few of those guys around.

The Paulie sucks threads will come up eventually if he keeps this up, but like Dye, Paulie has a track record of great success in the majors, which gives him a longer leash. Timo is a fringe player who when his salary gets too high, which is coming soon, will be replaced by a cheaper, younger alternative and be out of baseball.

Banix12
04-30-2005, 11:24 PM
A battle between Willie and Timo? Um, no. Look at the middle infielders we have both at the big-league level and down at Charlotte. Those are the positions we have the LEAST amount of depth at. I don't even like Harris, but I'm telling you, his job is safe.

Gload is a likely candidate to be sent packing when Frank gets healthy. We don't need three 1B/DHs.

Gload is bit younger, much cheaper, and was a pretty good Pinch Hitter last season, which I think might keep him around unless his poor hitting continues. He has a bit more power than Timo, and he's the only one of the three 1b who is above average defensively.

Timo, Ozuna, Harris, Gload, Everett can all play OF and are all backups. Timo is definitely the better defender than the rest of them and has a strong arm, but likely his playing time will be reduced as they seek ways to get Everett at-bats when Frank comes back.

Also, people like to take out Timo's stats last season with RISP as a reason to keep him, Gload hit .368 over his short major league career with RISP, not as high as Timo's .397 last season but still damn good.

Certainly Gload is on the bubble, especially if the injury he somehow got while not playing is something serious, but he's in probably about the same danger as Timo and the other backups. Both are basically backups at loaded positions, that only play one position very well, on a bench full of Lefties. We'll have to see who plays worse going up to Frank's return.

mealfred13
04-30-2005, 11:27 PM
For all the Timo haters:

Situational Stats for Timo Perez 2004:

AVG OBP SLG OPS
Men on, 2 outs: .296 .333 .352 .685
Man on 3rd, < 2 out .571 .529 .571 1.101

Runners on .303 .331 .418 .749

RISP .397 .419 .500 .919
RISP, 2 out .412 .444 .500 .944
Bases Loaded .444 .400 .444 .844

Now who was saying "Timo is clutch" was a bad reason to keep him? Those are ridiculous numbers to be had when it counts.

For comparison, he was hitting .202 with bases empty for the year. So he's not a table setter, but he sure can hit when we need it.

We really need to stop with this crap. Someone should start a thread called "Whipping boy of the week" instead of starting new "Crede/Willie/Timo/Shingo/PTBNL Sucks" threads.

doublem23
04-30-2005, 11:28 PM

:gun
You called?

Man... when was the last time this tag was used? :tongue:

mealfred13
04-30-2005, 11:31 PM
He hit the homerun in Minnesota but then you stick him in last night when a sac fly wins the game and he strikes out, we can duel clutch moments/not clutch moments all night and it won't get us anywhere.

WOW. He didn't come through in 1 game. I was as pissed at him as anyone for not being able to sac fly the winning run, but gimme a break. Look at his stats from last year, and then tell me he sucks and needs to be traded because he couldn't hit 1 sac fly. That's ridiculous.

What have our 3 4 and 5 hitters done with RISP this year? I don't see them on the chopping block.

Banix12
04-30-2005, 11:46 PM
WOW. He didn't come through in 1 game. I was as pissed at him as anyone for not being able to sac fly the winning run, but gimme a break. Look at his stats from last year, and then tell me he sucks and needs to be traded because he couldn't hit 1 sac fly. That's ridiculous.

What have our 3 4 and 5 hitters done with RISP this year? I don't see them on the chopping block.

I never said he sucked, I just said he was a fringe player and even a fringe player is good enough to make a major league roster. But like all fringe players "what have you done for me lately" is the chant you will hear.

I also never said I was angry at him failing the other night I understand major league hitters fail most of the time, I was just saying that you can quote moments he was clutch, I can quote moments when he wasn't.

Timo is in the majors because he does two things well. 1) he has a strong arm and he is above avg defensively and 2) he hits well with RISP. If he stops doing the second one, he is not good enough to stick around.

If the only reason Timo's bat stays in the majors is his average with RISP, it had better start rising because so far for this season it's at .000.

The 3,4, and 5 hitters aren't fringe players so they aren't on the chopping block. I'm certainly not happy with their performances and more should be expected of them, but they aren't the issue of the thread, so who cares.

Again to clarify, I never said he sucked, I never said to trade him, I just said he is on the bubble for when frank returns because currently he is not doing what he is paid to do. As are a lot of Sox hitters right now, but not all of those players are backup OF on a team with a bunch of cheaper options.

johnnyg83
05-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I would have rather seen Gload up with the bases loaded and one out than Timo -- 20/20 hindsight clause granted.

gosox41
05-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Because Mickey Mant...I mean Joe Bochard can't. Someone's got to take up space.

Bob

voodoochile
05-01-2005, 10:53 AM

Not like it hasn't been said here before about other players.

I still don't understand why Ozzie PH Perez for Dye at that moment anyway. I realize he had a RHP on the mound and that Dye has been none to great this year. I even realize that Timo is faster and might keep the team out of DP situation allowing the winning run to score.

But... Dye had hit a couple of flyballs in this game already, including one that made it to the wall in left and one that was dropped for a double. He has also historically been a guy you can count on to perform in big situations AND is a power hitter - thus the more likely player to get under a pitch and drive it to the outfield for the sac fly they were looking for.

If you send up Timo in that situation, you take the first pitch to see what's going on and then you try the suicide squeeze, IMO. Ozzie didn't and thus the move makes no sense to me...

mealfred13
05-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Not like it hasn't been said here before about other players.

I still don't understand why Ozzie PH Perez for Dye at that moment anyway. I realize he had a RHP on the mound and that Dye has been none to great this year. I even realize that Timo is faster and might keep the team out of DP situation allowing the winning run to score.

But... Dye had hit a couple of flyballs in this game already, including one that made it to the wall in left and one that was dropped for a double. He has also historically been a guy you can count on to perform in big situations AND is a power hitter - thus the more likely player to get under a pitch and drive it to the outfield for the sac fly they were looking for.

If you send up Timo in that situation, you take the first pitch to see what's going on and then you try the suicide squeeze, IMO. Ozzie didn't and thus the move makes no sense to me...

Oh I don't disagree with you at all there, Voodoo. I'm just talking about this whole "Timo Sucks" vibe going on. He was amazing out of the clutch last year, so I'm assuming Ozzie was thinking along those lines when he decided to pinch him for the worst-slumping bat in our lineup. I don't really see anything wrong with that line of logic.

As for not bunting in the winning run, the only thing I could think of would be that a fly ball is all but guaranteed to score the run, but a bad bunt could lead to a play at the plate robbing us of the win. I would have rather seen Ozuna out there for a bunt situation, or as you said, Dye trying to hit another fly ball. The problem was Ozuna wasn't available, and taking Dye out was a judgement call which I can't argue with, given Timo's performance last year. If it had worked, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

peeonwrigley
05-01-2005, 04:06 PM
If you listen to Hawk he comes through in the clutch... yeah, well I can look at about 3 straight games where he (along with everyone else) has sucked with men on in key situations.

He gone when 35 gets back. Please hurry back.

I said this yesterday in a bout of anger... although I still think he's gone when Frank comes back.

Anyhow, nice bunt Timo.

mealfred13
05-01-2005, 04:39 PM
I said this yesterday in a bout of anger... although I still think he's gone when Frank comes back.

Anyhow, nice bunt Timo.

Too bad we didn't trade him immediately!!!

Now can we all use this as an example not to start panic-driven threads.....barrrrf

mealfred13
05-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Horrible 2-run jack there Timo....please be gone.

iamkoza
05-01-2005, 05:12 PM
hmmm.... i say a guy should be cut, the next day he goes 2-3 with 3 rbi's... so with that logic... shingo, you need to go.

iamkoza
05-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Horrible 2-run jack there Timo....please be gone.

it was matt ginter pitching, lol

Bisco Stu
05-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Timo's a valuable reserve, proved it again today.

jabrch
05-01-2005, 05:14 PM
How many teams have a last guy on the bench who is significantly better than Timo are being a role player?

Timo sucks...Willie sucks...I just wonder what people expect out of our utility guys sometimes...

mealfred13
05-01-2005, 05:15 PM
it was matt ginter pitching, lol

Bah, Ginter's been doing well for them. That's still not an excuse to start panic-threads. It's gotten out of hand lately.

iamkoza
05-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Bah, Ginter's been doing well for them. That's still not an excuse to start panic-threads. It's gotten out of hand lately.

there's just a part of me that views this offense as the same offense that finished out the season last year, and it worries me, so i took it out on timo, sorry timo.

kittle42
05-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Whoa...looking at today's game, Voodoo must be very wise!

HITMEN OF 77
05-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Timo's a valuable reserve, proved it again today.

INdeeed. He got ripped last night on here and he actualyl had a hit in last ngihts game. Today he came out strong. Way to go Timo!!

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
In no way is Timo an every-day player...He makes nearly every routine fly ball appear to be in question with regards to if he'll catch it or not.

The question is, would you rather him be on our bench or LTP? My answer is that there is NO WAY I want LTP here. Timo can have a roster space over LTP any day of the week!

dugwood31
05-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Not only did he go 2-3 with 3 RBI, but he also laid down that sac bunt early in the game. I also like the way he dances off base and plays with pitchers. Seems like he gets alot out of his talent, and it's always fun to cheer for guys who do that.

JB98
05-02-2005, 12:26 AM
How many teams have a last guy on the bench who is significantly better than Timo are being a role player?

Timo sucks...Willie sucks...I just wonder what people expect out of our utility guys sometimes...

Don't you get it? Everyone on the Twins bats .750 with RISP, and their hitters never strike out with a man on third and less than two outs.

JUribe1989
05-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Timo is such a badass I love it. He just walks after his home runs now.

balke
05-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Timo shows how much depth we have. It is far from atrocious. He shouldn't even be out there, a .280 25 hr guy should be. Timo's always been a surprisingly good batter off the bench. Whenever he is in the lineup, 9 million people ask why... and then he finds a way to shut them up.

This team is really good off the bench, and that's going to help them go through tough times such as this. (Tough times being Dye, Uribe, Pierzynski, Harris, Ozuna, FRANK all being out of this game, and us still finding a way to put 8 runs on the board for the win). Towards the end of the season last year Adkins was halfway decent as a reliever, and now he's down in the minors waiting for the call-up with B-Mac and Gload on the DL.

We haven't had depth like this in a long time. Last season we couldn't even win when Maggs was in the lineup w/o Frank. Anyways... Timo stays. I don't know if he should be our starting RF, somethng needs to be done about that, but I like TIMO in relief or as a bat off the bench.

kittle42
05-02-2005, 05:21 AM
(Tough times being Dye, Uribe, Pierzynski, Harris, Ozuna, FRANK all being out of this game, and us still finding a way to put 8 runs on the board for the win).

Dye, Harris, and Ozuna being out of the lineup generally will increase the team's chances of scoring more runs. :smile: