PDA

View Full Version : Disapointed in the topic at hand... Yep ANOTHER attendance thread...

soxwon
04-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Ok another attendence thread.
I know we lost the last 2 games in oakland, but need be, there was only 18,000 in attendence last night.
i dont want to hear:
BUT IT WAS COLD OUT, that is no excuse.
Other teams come home with that record and its a sellout, (not talkin cubs).
im sure everyone on the WSI board goes to games, we do our part.
but overall SOX FANS disapoint me.
there should have been 25, 000 there atleast.
No wonder we are criticized for low turnout.
It's Sickening- What does it take to get fannys in the seats.
16-6 isnt good enough?
Tonight i hear there will be 30+, thats great.
Im frustrated with OUR fans.
Ill be there tonight and tommorow.
Will OTHERS?

chisoxmike
04-30-2005, 01:23 PM
The cold is a excuse... I sat out in right field as FROZE MY ASS OFF! I'm not worrying about the attendance, if they keep winning and when it gets warmer, people will show up, no doubt about it.

I hate attendance threads... nobody knows peoples situations, either; costs, transportation, prior engagements, these are all good excuses. My main complant last night wasn't the horrible play, it was the ****ing parking $$$$. Give me a break $17!!!!???!! It was the first night I drove to the park instead of taking the red line. Holy crap, that would keep me away if I couldn't take the train.

JB98
04-30-2005, 01:37 PM
I knew this thread was coming. I think the cold is a good reason not to go to a game. An even better reason is I had to work last night, and tonight too. I'll be there Sunday afternoon.

As I've said repeatedly, I don't like it when other Sox fans scold me for not attending a game. I go to the Cell as often as I can, but it costs pretty good money to go nowadays and I'm not independently wealthy. And as much as I'd like to spend all my days doing nothing but watching baseball, I do have to work for a living. I never criticize other Sox fans for going to a game because I don't know what their personal situations are.

Cubbiesuck13
04-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Do you mean to tell me that in the mid- 90's people in Cleveland had more money, time and a good way to get to the park? I'm with Soxwon on this one. People have excuses and I don't think anyone should call someone out on not going but in general, like Soxwon said, Sox fans need to come out in droves when the Sox are hot.

Cubbiesuck13
04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
I knew this thread was coming. I think the cold is a good reason not to go to a game. An even better reason is I had to work last night, and tonight too. I'll be there Sunday afternoon.

As I've said repeatedly, I don't like it when other Sox fans scold me for not attending a game. I go to the Cell as often as I can, but it costs pretty good money to go nowadays and I'm not independently wealthy. And as much as I'd like to spend all my days doing nothing but watching baseball, I do have to work for a living. I never criticize other Sox fans for going to a game because I don't know what their personal situations are.

JB98, is someone PM you and scolding you personally? Because I read in Soxwon's post overall SOX FANS disapoint me.

C-Dawg
04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Like I said in the other thread, all the news channels were predicting rain for friday evening, so that may have deterred many people who live a ways out. We were lucky all the rain missed us.

I ordered one ticket for Friday's game online, earlier in the week, but if I hadn't already paid for it I would have probably stayed home due to the forecast. I'll be at Saturday's game for sure since its part of my Minnie plan; Friday's game was just a bonus.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
I am making this portion of an upcoming interview at WSI available for reading. I do this because of another 'attendence' thread. (Nevermind that if the Sox stay in the race they'll draw 2.3 million or so, I guess some folks want three million in home crowds.)

I have changed certain small things so that the identity is protected (I want you to read the interview when it comes out!) but the meaning has not been touched:

ML: For many years youíve been a baseball analyst.There have been times when on-air hosts have belittled Sox fans particularly in the area of attendance. I recall reading about one of your responses to that criticism and it went along the lines of, Ďwhat do you want? They are drawing almost two million fans for a team thatís been just a little above average. If the Sox really start to win, the fans will come.í Is that an accurate representation of your comment?

"Thatís a true statement. If the team is good White Sox fans will come out. They arenít like Cub fans whoíll come out regardless if the team is bad. A part of that is because in a lot of cases, Sox fans donít have that kind of money to spend. Today with prices being what they are, if a family can go to one Sox game a month they are doing good. So they arenít going to come out to see a losing team."
---
Now you are probably going to say 'well the Sox aren't losing...' My reply is that's why they have had a crowd of 38 thousand, and three crowds of over 20,000 in APRIL. What more do you want?

Lip

soxwon
04-30-2005, 02:15 PM
JB98, is someone PM you and scolding you personally? Because I read in Soxwon's post

im simply want the place packed.
i love our fans- the people here do go.
thank you for that, i guess there are not enough of us.

SSN721
04-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Ugh, when will these stop, either stop bitching about attendance or if we will have these threads then the low payroll threads must stop, cant have the best of both worlds people pick one or the other. We have average attendence and a slightly above average payroll. I am fine with it, very few teams can draw like the cubs. Last night the weather sucked, I dont know how you can scold a whole fanbase who mostly have to drive, pay 17 for parking on top of 20+ for a ticket not to even count concessions. I myself try have tried to go to anywhere from 15-30 games a year, easier for the time being since I have lived in the city the last 1.5 years, but last night I had a possibility of a free club level ticket and if I was offered I still probably wouldnt have gone. The weather sucked and I work 50+ hours a week, I wanted to sit back, relax and strap it down, just watch it on TV. SO I guess that makes me a bad Sox fan? Come on, this is getting ridiculous. If we only draw 1.5 mil by the end of the year staying int he race the whole time thenmaybe we canbitch. But dont bitch about April attendence, it is ridiculous and pointless, especially on this board where we all go when we can. I hope everyone that bitches also tries to go to ever game they can. Enough already see where we are at by the end of the year before we complain about how crappy us Sox fans are.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Soxwon:

Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune Live brought up some interesting points on Friday. Perhaps you didn't see it. Rogers said White Sox attendance was devastated by the 'White Flag Trade,' and it has taken YEARS to build it back up. Rogers said it has been growing.

Contrary to what some think, it doesn't happen overnight especially for a team that has one playoff appearance since the WFT and has averaged a paltry 83 wins since the start of the 1998 season. Plus remember Rob Gallas was in charge of marketing until the middle of last season...nuff said.

If anyone thinks the Sox can start packing the place like in the grand days of the early 90's, which is certainly possible, then a few things have to take place. Things which haven't happened yet.

A run of post season appearances (two or three in a row...)
A team that has 'star' players with name recognition
Time for new PR guy Brooks Boyer's ideas and promotions to take hold.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
04-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Lip, while all your points are valid, don't you think that winning is the best attraction? Of course. So there isn't a valid reason for the Sox not to draw right now.

RKMeibalane
04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
:threadsucks

People need to stop bitching about attendance. Period.

34 Inch Stick
04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
If you say that cold is not a deterrent, you were not out there last night. It was freezing last night.

I look at it this way: I am going to go to a certain number of games each year. Why would I want to spend ANY of those days in unpleasant conditions. I don't purchase in advance in April, other than opening day. If the rare beautiful day pops up, I can go to the game and enjoy it. If not, I'll wait my time and enjoy a beautiful summer afternoon in Comiskey.

I treat Bears games the same way. I split season tickets with my brothers and ALWAYS take the first 2-3 games of the year (alternatively, my golfing addidcted brother always takes the last games). It does not enhance my experience to watch a game in Bear weather.

Anyway, every northern team has a downturn in attendance this time of year, even the Cubs.

soxwon
04-30-2005, 03:31 PM
If you say that cold is not a deterrent, you were not out there last night. It was freezing last night.

I look at it this way: I am going to go to a certain number of games each year. Why would I want to spend ANY of those days in unpleasant conditions. I don't purchase in advance in April, other than opening day. If the rare beautiful day pops up, I can go to the game and enjoy it. If not, I'll wait my time and enjoy a beautiful summer afternoon in Comiskey.

I treat Bears games the same way. I split season tickets with my brothers and ALWAYS take the first 2-3 games of the year (alternatively, my golfing addidcted brother always takes the last games). It does not enhance my experience to watch a game in Bear weather.

Anyway, every northern team has a downturn in attendance this time of year, even the Cubs.

hey pal i have weekend season tickets for years now.
i can't go to every game.
i go to 35-40 games a year, thats almost half our games at home.
ive been to over 700 sox games since 1965-
700- i guess thats not enough?

SaltyPretzel
04-30-2005, 04:17 PM
.:deadhorse: :threadblows:

soxwon
04-30-2005, 04:54 PM
mods- ok to close!!!

Rocklive99
04-30-2005, 05:53 PM
LOL, you point the finger, but also didn't go to the game. People have appointments, don't grow money on trees, already have committments, etc. Not everyone lives so close either, I wish I could be in the situation where at the end of the day, I could just swing by the park

Who cares about how much money goes into uncle Jerry's pocket? I've learned to be happy about the team, the attendance reflects on nothing

soxwon
04-30-2005, 10:44 PM
LOL, you point the finger, but also didn't go to the game. People have appointments, don't grow money on trees, already have committments, etc. Not everyone lives so close either, I wish I could be in the situation where at the end of the day, I could just swing by the park

Who cares about how much money goes into uncle Jerry's pocket? I've learned to be happy about the team, the attendance reflects on nothing

buddy read my last few posts on this thread
i have season tickets for sat-sunday, i go to 30+ a year
You want me to go to every game, i guess.
how many have you been to?

atleast we are all sox fans
great win tonight.

FedEx227
04-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I understand theres no really good excuses, but the fact of the matter the White Sox have a weird bunch of fans, in that THEY WORK...

I'm sorry but I would love to get out to a Friday game, I'd love to get out to a Saturday game, I'd love to get out to every game, but I get home from school at 3:30, if I were to take the train (which I usually do), I'd have to hop on the 4:30, run over to State street stop jump on the red-line just to get to the ballpark AROUND 7:00ish. I don't feel like that amount of stress, second in the fact that getting home would be a complete bitch as train service gets very sketchy after 8:00, with 1 hour gaps inbetween outgoing trains, plus the fact that I would have to get up at 6am the next morning.

Weekends the same deal, sox fans WORK...sox fans have LIVES, we can't be bothered to run home from work get everything together and run out to the game without taking some time to relax, plus the Dan Ryan is stressful beyond belief at 5-6 PM, and also after the game..

so yeah, theres really no great excuse, but we shouldn't have to make excuses, we are a working bunch of fans, we are hard working, we don't have the privledge/money/time to take off work to go see a baseball game, I would be interested to see the ratings of a White Sox game over a Cubs game, cause whether or not we go to games, every white sox fan knows what happened at last nights game, the viewership is very, very loyal...

yeah...theres my giant rant of the day.

soxwon
04-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I understand theres no really good excuses, but the fact of the matter the White Sox have a weird bunch of fans, in that THEY WORK...

I'm sorry but I would love to get out to a Friday game, I'd love to get out to a Saturday game, I'd love to get out to every game, but I get home from school at 3:30, if I were to take the train (which I usually do), I'd have to hop on the 4:30, run over to State street stop jump on the red-line just to get to the ballpark AROUND 7:00ish. I don't feel like that amount of stress, second in the fact that getting home would be a complete bitch as train service gets very sketchy after 8:00, with 1 hour gaps inbetween outgoing trains, plus the fact that I would have to get up at 6am the next morning.

Weekends the same deal, sox fans WORK...sox fans have LIVES, we can't be bothered to run home from work get everything together and run out to the game without taking some time to relax, plus the Dan Ryan is stressful beyond belief at 5-6 PM, and also after the game..

so yeah, theres really no great excuse, but we shouldn't have to make excuses, we are a working bunch of fans, we are hard working, we don't have the privledge/money/time to take off work to go see a baseball game, I would be interested to see the ratings of a White Sox game over a Cubs game, cause whether or not we go to games, every white sox fan knows what happened at last nights game, the viewership is very, very loyal...

yeah...theres my giant rant of the day.

and yankee fans work, twins fans work, even SOME cub fans work.
and they make it.

anyways- glad you can get to some games anyhow.

FedEx227
04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
even SOME cub fans work.

Don't say things you know aren't true...

Lip Man 1
04-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Cubbiesuck:

Once again, with respect, look at the historical attendance figures for the White Sox. You'll notice a few things over the past oh I don't know, twenty, thirty, forty years.

1. The Sox have traditionally not drawn all that well in April / May (weather related)
2. The Sox don't draw well when kids are still in school
3. The Sox don't draw well when parents and adults haven't started taking vacation. (No one I know takes vacation in April or May unless forced to.)

Those are the facts, check them out for yourself.

Finally your comment about 'winning is the best attraction.' It's less then a month into the season, the Sox have started well but how many times in the past forty years have the Sox started well? How many playoff spots/ pennants in that time???

Fans are sceptical right now (and with good reason)...it's April. As I stated a few weeks ago if the Sox are still ten or fifteen games over .500 in June when the kids get out they'll start packing the place. 2.3 million easily.

Lip

FedEx227
05-01-2005, 12:06 AM
yeah my personal attendance rises 100% when school is out of session and I have the time to get down to the ballpark at 4:00, hang out in the sun, watch some BP, then sit down for a nice game.

Rocklive99
05-01-2005, 12:12 AM
buddy read my last few posts on this thread
i have season tickets for sat-sunday, i go to 30+ a year
You want me to go to every game, i guess.
how many have you been to?

atleast we are all sox fans
great win tonight.

No, that's not my point, but your first post makes it sound like you want everyone else to go to every game. My point is that people have reasons or other engagements for not going to the game, not because they don't want to support the team. Who knows, maybe everyone else on the board on this board has season tix for other games, but the big point that was made in the other attendance threads is that there is no need to point this out to the wsi'ers, we are the diehards, we know about the attendance and go to as many as we can permit, the issue is with the casual fans, many of whom don't read this board (And yes, we are all Sox fans, that's why I love this community. I don't/didn't want it to sound like I was offending or had a bone to pick with you, just healthy discussion :D: )

soxwon
05-01-2005, 12:44 AM
No, that's not my point, but your first post makes it sound like you want everyone else to go to every game. My point is that people have reasons or other engagements for not going to the game, not because they don't want to support the team. Who knows, maybe everyone else on the board on this board has season tix for other games, but the big point that was made in the other attendance threads is that there is no need to point this out to the wsi'ers, we are the diehards, we know about the attendance and go to as many as we can permit, the issue is with the casual fans, many of whom don't read this board (And yes, we are all Sox fans, that's why I love this community. I don't/didn't want it to sound like I was offending or had a bone to pick with you, just healthy discussion :D: )

ok no problem
lets win tommorow and hope angels can win one from minn

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Now you are probably going to say 'well the Sox aren't losing...' My reply is that's why they have had a crowd of 38 thousand, and three crowds of over 20,000 in APRIL. What more do you want?

LipWow. Lip being positive. I'm getting teared up. Thanks Lip. I mean it.

jabrch
05-01-2005, 06:01 AM
30,000 out there tonight...

gosox41
05-01-2005, 08:57 AM
and yankee fans work, twins fans work, even SOME cub fans work.
and they make it.

anyways- glad you can get to some games anyhow.

A lot of Cub fans work. It's not 1982 and Lee Elia isn't GM. Cubs tickets are expensive, more then Sox tickets. Add to that the cost of all the beer that these people drink and they spend a lot of money to go to the Urinal.

Bob

Cubbiesuck13
05-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Lip, I have been reading up on the history of the Sox and it seems that everytime the Sox start hot the fans show up. I quoted Dan Helpingstine's book Through hope and Despair in another thread about the 1971 team that started the season in Oakland by sweeping the opening day double header. They had one of the biggest home openers in team history two days later.

Rock, you are right when you say that everyone on this board is pretty die-hard. Preaching to the converted I suppose. There are good excuses for not be able to make games and I never said that everyone here should make every game. My point is that there are a lot of people in Chicago. The third largest market should be able to have big crowds for a winning team. 30k last night is damn good IMO.

I have been happy with most of the crowds this year acually. Our first homestand was blessed with great weather unfortunatly things turned back to normal for this one. I don't think there is any reason why if the team keeps winning not to get close to 3 million for the year.

Wsoxmike59
05-01-2005, 09:35 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-stix29.html

Well here is a positive article about the Sox and attendance from the Bright One. Sounds like we're going to have some good crowds next weekend when Baltimore comes to town.

dcb33
05-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I fail to see how attendance is a problem. Thru 10 games last year, the Sox drew 218,019, and that includes a series with the Yankees, and they always draw 30,000 plus when they are in town. This year thru 10 home games, the Sox have drawn 219,295. Attendance is better so far and the schedule this year hasn't featured a team that draws like the Yankees do.

It was colder than a well diggers ass in Montana out there last night (I was in 103 and the wind was BRUTAL) and the team still drew an awesome crowd 30,000 plus. If the Sox keep up their winning, the place will be packed all summer and the team will draw 2.3 mil easily.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Cubbiesuck:

You mentioned Opening Day 1971. I know...I was there, but what you failed to do was examine the other home games for April 1971. I did...

April 9 - 43,253 (Opening Day)
April 10 - 12,499
April 11 - 10,548
April 12 - 8,356
April 13 - 2,693
April 14 - 4,336
April 15 - 5,302
April 16 - 15,808
April 17 - 5,357
April 18 - 18,540 (DH)

Thank you for proving my point (although this is a very small sample I feel it is representative...) the Sox historically have not drawn well in April / May (with some rare exceptions a la the early 90 due to the new park AND a team on the rise) for the reasons I stated earlier.

Now if you wish, compare that to April 2005. Opening Day 38,000, three other games over 20,000, Saturday night April 30th, 30,000.

And the problem again is what?

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
05-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I never said it was a problem this year. There have been games that I have been able to watch that had very few people in the stands. I have been pretty happy with it overall. I didn't know the rest of April '71, however.

misty60481
05-01-2005, 08:07 PM
You have to remember we have no Big Frank,,Maggs,, C.Lee, Jose,,here this year.. I Think 20,000 with guys like Podsednik, Perez, Everette, Lopez is great,,
I usually take my oldest grandchildren--ages 12-20 to a game as soon as school is out and another one later in year.. They dont want to go this year because they say the Sox are most boring team they have ever seen.. They have hit only 2 HRs in about 6 or 7 games and the younger bunch doesnt think much of small ball..
The other night we played cards in my buddies garage and he has a TV,, we are all Sox fans most of us for at least 50 yrs. apiece.. He had Cub game on because Sox were on coast and didnt start until 9,, we werent paying a lot of attention unless something happened,, it seemed like the Cubs had something going the whole time,, there was 4 or 5 HRs and pitcher got thrown out,, at 9 we put on Sox game and even though they scored it was boring,,, finally somebody said put on history channel..
We have got to start hitting some HRs or do something to liven up the game,,,

Norberto7
05-01-2005, 11:47 PM
I was there Friday night, and despite girlfriend and blanket, it was still cold. But hey, she paid, so I don't complain.

Anyways, my feeling is this: I love going to games when almost no one is there. You can park close, you don't have to wait in line to drain yourself or to buy food, you can sit wherever you want, wander around in peace, sit up in the Fan Deck for a couple innings without feeling rushed to move, not listen to some dude loudly pass every thought he has directly to his mouth, have no beer spilled on you, and drive straight out of the parking lot in minutes.

Why wasn't I born in Montreal?

So, while I, along with everyone else, would like to see more people show up in order to boost payroll and field a successful team, I'll enjoy the occasional empty ambaince of the ballpark whilst you all fret about attendance.

Norberto7
05-01-2005, 11:50 PM
They dont want to go this year because they say the Sox are most boring team they have ever seen..

Wow. You have picky grandchildren. If you offer to take me to a major league game, I say name the date, name the time, I am there.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2005, 11:05 AM
For what its worth, Sox attendance is up by about 9,000 when compared to last year over the same amount of home games.

Hitmen77
05-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune Live brought up some interesting points on Friday. Perhaps you didn't see it. Rogers said White Sox attendance was devastated by the 'White Flag Trade,' and it has taken YEARS to build it back up.

:reinsy I have a magic touch with this franchise, don't I?

SpammySosa
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
We have got to start hitting some HRs or do something to liven up the game,,,

Yeah,winning is so overrated and is boring me to death.:rolleyes: I love HRs as much as anyone,but I am a baseball and Sox fan,not a homerun fan. The season is in full swing,the Sox are winning,LIFE IS GOOD.:D: