PDA

View Full Version : Power outage causing problems for the Sox

MRKARNO
04-30-2005, 10:28 AM
About one week ago, the White Sox were tied for first in the majors in homers. In the past 8 games, however, the White Sox have hit only one home run and it was by Chris Widger. Earlier on, the White Sox were winning very close games in which we were hitting important home runs throughout the game. Now the power has stopped and we've lost 3 straight games by a total of 4 runs. It seems clear to me that this lack of Homers has caused the White Sox to fall off a bit.

The good news is that this is probably just a flukey stretch, because this team's offense is too good to hit this few homers. Also, it's too good for us to be stranding so many RISP. I think in the next week we will see an offensive explosion, coupled with the same old good pitching that we've been getting used to (maybe a tad bit worse, but still pretty good) and we will have a lot more confidence in this team. We are facing a weak spot in our schedule right now and I think this team will be able to exploit it, but it might take a few games to get in rhythm. The power outage can't go on much longer and neither can the anemic RISP batting average.

kevingrt
04-30-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't know if it is neccasarily a power outage or we just aren't getting hits with runners in scoring position. As the Twinkies have shown teams don't need to hit HR's they just need to get basehits with runners on base. We absolutely sucked last night. Detriot gave up something like 10 walks, 2 errors, 5 basehits and we did absolutely crap with almost every runner on base. It was so frustrating sitting in center field and watch our team just suck with runners in scoring position. This needs to change for our team to get back on it's winning ways.

MRKARNO
04-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know if it is neccasarily a power outage or we just aren't getting hits with runners in scoring position.

It's really both, it's just that the power surge which helped us win a lot of those early games has been really lacking lately. Both of these trends will not continue for much longer and the offense will come around in short order.

TornLabrum
04-30-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't know if it is neccasarily a power outage or we just aren't getting hits with runners in scoring position.

*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

We have a winner!

MRKARNO
04-30-2005, 10:50 AM
*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

We have a winner!

That's been more well-publicized, but I think if we get one more homer or two over the past 3 games then we win one or maybe two of them. Can't we also hit homers with RISP? There are many disturbing trends which don't tend to last that are going on with our offense right now.

PAPChiSox729
04-30-2005, 12:46 PM
That's been more well-publicized, but I think if we get one more homer or two over the past 3 games then we win one or maybe two of them. Can't we also hit homers with RISP? There are many disturbing trends which don't tend to last that are going on with our offense right now.

This team was molded to get clutch hits and strikeout/popup less with RISP. Right now, our team is hitting like they have in years past, with a lot of strikeouts and popups with RISP. Of course we can hit those clutch homeruns, but consistent clutch base hits is what this team is designed for.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-30-2005, 02:27 PM
The speed of this team was supposed to overcome these power droughts. It's not, and that concerns me even more. The speed will probably show back up when the power returns, but that wasn't how this team was supposed to work.