PDA

View Full Version : Split up Contreras and Hernandez

hose
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
With the off day coming up on Monday I would like to see Ozzie make some changes to the starting rotation. With Contreras getting his pitch count up so high early in the game he is only going to give Ozzie 5-6 innings of work per start. The bullpen has been stellar but I don't like the idea of El Duque following Contreras the next day because chances are Ozzie will have to go to the pen early in the game again.

Ozzie could push back Fredy's start against KC back on Wednesday to Thursday and push up Contreras. This would give Contreras his normal four days rest in between starts and the rotation would be:
Buehrle
Contreras
Garcia
Hernandez
Garland

Or Ozzie could move Garland up from Saturday to Friday and El Duque back to Jon's slot on Saturday. Big Jon would also being coming off of four days rest and the rotation would be:
Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
Hernandez

The first scenario would have your best inning eater in Buehrle followed by Contreras , so chances are the pen would be rested for Contreras's normal 5-6 inning performace.

The second scenario would give an extra day of rest for both Contreras and El Duque.

Thoughts?........

kevingrt
04-30-2005, 10:38 AM
With the off day coming up on Monday I would like to see Ozzie make some changes to the starting rotation. With Contreras getting his pitch count up so high early in the game he is only going to give Ozzie 5-6 innings of work per start. The bullpen has been stellar but I don't like the idea of El Duque following Contreras the next day because chances are Ozzie will have to go to the pen early in the game again.

Ozzie could push back Fredy's start against KC back on Wednesday to Thursday and push up Contreras. This would give Contreras his normal four days rest in between starts and the rotation would be:
Buehrle
Contreras
Garcia
Hernandez
Garland

Or Ozzie could move Garland up from Saturday to Friday and El Duque back to Jon's slot on Saturday. Big Jon would also being coming off of four days rest and the rotation would be:
Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
Hernandez

The first scenario would have your best inning eater in Buehrle followed by Contreras , so chances are the pen would be rested for Contreras's normal 5-6 inning performace.

The second scenario would give an extra day of rest for both Contreras and El Duque.

Thoughts?........

The second idea is great. Everyone knows the two "weakest parts" of our rotation are El Duque and Contreras right now. Somehow we need to split them up I think andn you seem to agree. If we can get a hot Garland to split them up that would be great. It is not tough either especially since we have a day off Monday.

Plus, I wouldn't have to see Contreras for the third time this season on Dollar Dog Thursday next Thursday at 1:05. I can't stand just watching 110 pitches through 6 innings of work.