PDA

View Full Version : KW Considered Signing Ozzie for Emergency SS

DickAllen72
04-30-2005, 01:45 AM
When general manager Ken Williams first floated the idea of signing manager Ozzie Guillen as an emergency replacement for Wednesday afternoon's game in Oakland, his suggestion drew a laugh from a couple of media members and more than a few strange looks from others.

"No, I'm being completely serious," said the White Sox general manager, while talking to the media in the White Sox dugout prior to Friday's homestand opener with Detroit.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050429&content_id=1032815&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

And what was Guillen's response to Williams' idea? The White Sox manager thought he could still catch the ball but wasn't sure if he could get the ball over to first base.

balke
04-30-2005, 01:53 AM
How bad could he be?

MUsoxfan
04-30-2005, 01:58 AM
How bad could he be?

I'd rather have an Ozzie at SS than a Jermaine Dye any day of the week. Let's hope that situation NEVER comes up again.

Hokiesox
04-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Wouldn't have mattered, Ozzie got the heave-ho before the need for Dye to play short even arose!

IowaSox1971
04-30-2005, 03:27 AM
It seems like the problem stems from the fact we didn't want to place anybody on the disabled list because then he's out for 15 days. But we probably should have just placed Uribe on the disabled list right after Tuesday night's game and called up a minor leaguer. If a fielder has to be removed from the game, then it's a sign it's not a minor injury. I'm glad that Dye didn't have to field a ball during that ninth inning Wednesday, or we might have gotten another player hurt.

Nard
04-30-2005, 03:54 AM
If this season goes down the tubes, I hope all our infielders get injured so they actually put Ozzie out there. That'd be too awesome.

chisox56
04-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Iguchi sure knows how to get on base, that is for sure, hopefully he leads to many runs.

SoxxoS
04-30-2005, 05:01 AM
Iguchi sure knows how to get on base, that is for sure, hopefully he leads to many runs.

He's the only one playing right now on the offensive end.

Banix12
04-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Hasn't played in four or five years, don't know If i'd want to see it. though I think I would wait for a home game and use it as a promotional stunt sometime in the future.

owensmouth
04-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Ozzie? That would wonders for our OBP.

Jurr
04-30-2005, 10:18 PM
During that three game losing streak, playing Ozzie for one game at short would've absolutely gotten the guys fired up. Ozzie is pretty much one of the guys...not the manager. Having his old butt out there taking hacks and trying to field grounders would've helped loosen up all of the guys that have been pressing.

Rocklive99
04-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I think it almost would've been as bad as the decision to hire him as manager. You know what they say about opinions though...

mealfred13
04-30-2005, 10:30 PM
During that three game losing streak, playing Ozzie for one game at short would've absolutely gotten the guys fired up. Ozzie is pretty much one of the guys...not the manager. Having his old butt out there taking hacks and trying to field grounders would've helped loosen up all of the guys that have been pressing.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read the article the other day, haha.

I mean, he's old and fat compared to his gaming days, but at least they could have had some fun with the loss, and maybe even turned it into a win. The way the starters worked out for that game, we were basically setting up for a loss anyway. I don't think Crede + Ozzie would have been much worse than Widger + Crede (at least in retrospect :wink:).

FedEx227
04-30-2005, 11:07 PM
i can just imagine the amount of crap we would've gotten from all media outlets, I'm glad it never happened...wouldn't have been worth the trouble.

soxfan26
05-01-2005, 09:52 AM
If this season goes down the tubes, I hope all our infielders get injured so they actually put Ozzie out there. That'd be too awesome.

:?: