PDA

View Full Version : DJ and HAWK: good, bad, or indifferent?

daveeym
04-29-2005, 11:44 PM
I've had enough of em. DJ who's been great on Fox, is f'n brutal. Hawk, while as a home announcer is way too much of a homer. It's time for both of them to leave and get a pair that get's along, are homer's but are honest homers. They've both gone from being honest homers to shills. Part of it is definitely love, but they're getting more biased than this site. Amazingly I'd say keep DJ and add some new blood to his broadcasts. Hate mail, sarcastic comments, etc. are all welcome.

gobears1987
04-29-2005, 11:46 PM
:threadblows:

I like Hawk because he is a homer. I loved him when he spoke the truth after Wendlestedt screwed us. He's a fan and I love him for that reason.

Erik The Red
04-29-2005, 11:51 PM
:threadsucks

White Sox Josh
04-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I love Hawk but DJ is brutal. Please replace him with Stoney.

RKMeibalane
04-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Not this again. If people are unhappy with Hawk and DJ, there is always the "mute" button.

MRKARNO
04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Not this again. If people are unhappy with Hawk and DJ, there is always the "mute" button.

As well as Rooney and Farmer.

daveeym
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM

I like Hawk because he is a homer. I loved him when he spoke the truth after Wendlestedt screwed us. He's a fan and I love him for that reason.That's my point, I want homers but he's gone way over the top and lost his honesty behind it. A ****ing popup turns into a great at bat or the ump screwed him on a bad call. He never used to be like that. He's a shill now and not just a homer.

mike squires
04-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Didn't we have a million of these during the off season...

MRKARNO
04-30-2005, 12:03 AM
And we lose another crappy game. Don't kid yourself, barring a miracle this game is over.

A.T. Money
04-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Who sucks is the White Sox. Who have left 1,000 stranded tonight, and our supposed "closer" who can't throw strikes, who is afraid to throw fastballs and when he doesn't gets rocked.

Don't blame the broadcast team because you're frustrated. Point your anger where it belongs.

daveeym
04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Who sucks is the White Sox. Who have left 1,000 stranded tonight, and our supposed "closer" who can't throw strikes, who is afraid to throw fastballs and when he doesn't gets rocked.

Don't blame the broadcast team because you're frustrated. Point your anger where it belongs. That's not my point, i've been following the score but haven't wathced the game until the last 3 innings, i walk in, throw the game on and hear hawk complimenting ****ty at bats. He's been just supreme homer this year instead of honest homer. He's been antagonistic to DJ instead of heated with DJ. Most that have caught a Fox game with DJ wonder who the hell the guy is because he's great on Fox. It's clear that it's hawk's problem and not DJ's. He's jumped the shark, plain and simple.

A.T. Money
04-30-2005, 12:17 AM
That's not my point, i've been following the score but haven't wathced the game until the last 3 innings, i walk in, throw the game on and hear hawk complimenting ****ty at bats. He's been just supreme homer this year instead of honest homer. He's been antagonistic to DJ instead of heated with DJ. Most that have caught a Fox game with DJ wonder who the hell the guy is because he's great on Fox. It's clear that it's hawk's problem and not DJ's. He's jumped the shark, plain and simple.

And my point, is that your point is pointless.

JoseCanseco6969
04-30-2005, 12:18 AM
I've had enough of em. DJ who's been great on Fox, is f'n brutal. Hawk, while as a home announcer is way too much of a homer. It's time for both of them to leave and get a pair that get's along, are homer's but are honest homers. They've both gone from being honest homers to shills. Part of it is definitely love, but they're getting more biased than this site. Amazingly I'd say keep DJ and add some new blood to his broadcasts. Hate mail, sarcastic comments, etc. are all welcome.

You sound like guys on the A's offical site.

:threadsucks:

JoseCanseco6969
04-30-2005, 12:18 AM
You sound like guys on the A's offical site.

:threadsucks:
this thread belongs in the roadhouse

daveeym
04-30-2005, 12:22 AM
this thread belongs in the roadhouseGet a clue is all I can say. Quit sounding like a cubs fan. Hawk's sounding like Santo now. Seriously, but the bias aside for 5 minutes and you'll see that. Rooney and Farmer catch more **** than hawk but they're sticking to honesty at least. Minus the whole DJ/Hawk Feud that's screwing up broadcasts.

Rocklive99
04-30-2005, 12:28 AM
I kind of agree, I won't say suck, but I'll just give the same response I gave in the thread about the A's fan.

I used to love Hawk when I was younger, but some of his stuff is getting a little old. You can even tell that he gets tired of saying "He gone" sometimes, and there are times when he yells "stretch!" when the ball doesn't even go to the warning track. I can live with all that, he has a passion for the team, but the thing I hate is the dead air or the tone of the broadcast when things are going bad. I think Rooney and Farmer are some of the best in the business, but I'm not always a "watch tv on mute with the radio on" guy, but I will listen to them when things go bad and all you hear is silence, I could be blind and no that things are going wrong. Also, I've learned to not be able to trust Hawk's opinion on a Sox organizational move, because he'll always turn it into a good move by a Sox. Sometimes it's just too much, and it's starting to become a joke with the fans of other teams

SpammySosa
04-30-2005, 12:31 AM
:deadhorse:

HebrewHammer
04-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Get a clue is all I can say. Quit sounding like a cubs fan. Hawk's sounding like Santo now. Seriously, but the bias aside for 5 minutes and you'll see that. Rooney and Farmer catch more **** than hawk but they're sticking to honesty at least. Minus the whole DJ/Hawk Feud that's screwing up broadcasts.

Hawk is coherent and talks about the game, that's more than I can say for Santo. The cubs fan comment is really uncalled for.

I really haven't noticed a difference between this year's broadcast and last years. Hawk's an acquired taste, but I look forward to his style of broadcasting. If I want to listen to someone talking negatively about the Sox I'll talk to my roommate.

Rooney and Farmer are criticized more than Hawk? Really? I can't remember the last time I heard ANYONE criticize Rooney and Farmer.

The Hawk/DJ fued has been over for years and hasn't screwed up any broadcasts for a while.

daveeym
04-30-2005, 12:34 AM
I kind of agree, I won't say suck, but I'll just give the same response I gave in the thread about the A's fan.

I used to love Hawk when I was younger, but some of his stuff is getting a little old. You can even tell that he gets tired of saying "He gone" sometimes, and there are times when he yells "stretch!" when the ball doesn't even go to the warning track. I can live with all that, he has a passion for the team, but the thing I hate is the dead air or the tone of the broadcast when things are going bad. I think Rooney and Farmer are some of the best in the business, but I'm not always a "watch tv on mute with the radio on" guy, but I will listen to them when things go bad and all you hear is silence, I could be blind and no that things are going wrong. Also, I've learned to not be able to trust Hawk's opinion on a Sox organizational move, because he'll always turn it into a good move by a Sox. Sometimes it's just too much, and it's starting to become a joke with the fans of other teamsThat's a great start/addition to what i'm trying to say. It really does sound like hawk doesn't believe his own crap anymore. He's way too over the top on most things, and way too uninterested on others. I've loved hawk over the years but everyone eventually gets to a point where they're over the hill/past their prime/or lost their zest for the position. Hawk is one of the three, debateable I'm sure about which one of the three, but it's not the Hawk I've loved over the last decade plus. He's a shell/shill of his former self.

itsnotrequired
04-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Hawk and DJ just seem...different this year. Seems like there is some type of beef between them. Lots of dead air. Sometimes some dead air is nice but this is a bit much.

And what's the deal with Hawk throwing in GO BULLS! at random times? I'm not giving up on them but their chemistry could be improved somewhat.

SpammySosa
04-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Also, I've learned to not be able to trust Hawk's opinion on a Sox organizational move, because he'll always turn it into a good move by a Sox.

:ralomar:

"I can't wait to hear what he has to say when I return to the team for a 3rd time."

daveeym
04-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Hawk and DJ just seem...different this year. Seems like there is some type of beef between them. Lots of dead air. Sometimes some dead air is nice but this is a bit much.

And what's the deal with Hawk throwing in GO BULLS! at random times? I'm not giving up on them but their chemistry could be improved somewhat.I kinda like the go bulls, but for the rest that fits in to exactly what I'm trying to say. The beef between hawk and DJ is obvious and long standing, but this year is brutal...I know we're WSI...BIASED and all, but we're not ignorant, it's just getting flat out bad with those two this year.

Also, I love Hangar and all and miss his media threads, but Hawk's turning into the Tin Foil hat part of Hangar...Well intentioned and accurate about the media bias, but so biased themselves that they start contradicting themselves by overstating it...and I guess that's what it boils down to, Hawk is overstating his "Love" of the sox.

mantis1212
04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
I think Hawk is just getting too old to be the play-by-play man. He seems to be taking long breaks and letting DJ do the play-by-play-terribly.

I say we hire a new play-by-play man and move Hawk over to the color man post (and give DJ his walking papers). I think Hawk could make a better color man these days...

soxfan43
04-30-2005, 01:30 AM

Don't blame the broadcast team because you're frustrated. Point your anger where it belongs.

thank you. the sox flat out sucked tonight in regards to hitting

Knockoutinthepar
04-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Hawk's a crackhead and I love him that way. You need someone with a fast-paced analytical approach sitting next to him--get DJ out of there.

IowaSox1971
04-30-2005, 03:16 AM
I was very disappointed that we didn't make an offer to Steve Stone after he left the Cubs.

Sleep520
04-30-2005, 03:20 AM

More Sox fans love him than hate him. What's your point?

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2005, 03:20 AM
I was very disappointed that we didn't make an offer to Steve Stone after he left the Cubs.Stone is still a total Cubs fan. There is no way I want to listen to his nasal whinings on the few games I get to see.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-30-2005, 03:30 AM
Stone is still a total Cubs fan. There is no way I want to listen to his nasal whinings on the few games I get to see.
Well said. I never understood some people's fascination over Stone. His baseball segment on the score was absolutely brutal this spring. All he did was talk about "his" cubbies and BS his way through Sox related questions.

VivaOzzie
04-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Get a clue is all I can say. Quit sounding like a cubs fan. Hawk's sounding like Santo now. Seriously, but the bias aside for 5 minutes and you'll see that. Rooney and Farmer catch more **** than hawk but they're sticking to honesty at least. Minus the whole DJ/Hawk Feud that's screwing up broadcasts.

When arguing your point on WSI, this sentence should NEVER be brought up. It is the equivalent of coming back with "Whatever" when you were back in MIDDLE SCHOOL. It is a desperate last resort bail-out.

And on the subject of Hawk and DJ, I absolutely love Hawk's bias. It is over-the-top at times, but thats better than some of the pathetic announcers I hear regularly on mlb.tv. The dead air is bad at times, I'll give you that. And the chemistry between the two is pretty bad. But I'd much rather see DJ replaced than Hawk.

jabrch
04-30-2005, 07:05 AM
I like Hawk. If that makes me a homer - then so be it.

oldcomiskey
04-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Im gonna tell you something--I have DirecTv and I get to hear all of the AL announcers----whose better than Hawk--who would you rather have---maybe Jerry Remy or Jim Kaat or Bob Eucker and the guy from Minnesota who daoes the games with Blyleven is alright..the rest of the announcers in the league are terrible....I suppose you want a bland announcer like Vin Scully who puts me to sleep--or worse someone who dont know the game.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2005, 09:29 AM
There are exactly TWO reasons I listen to Hawk.

1.) To find out what Jerry Reinsdorf is thinking. Hawk is his #1 shill.
2.) I'm too lazy to get off the couch, grab my AM radio, and mute the TV.

Listening to Rooney (in spite of Farmer's goofiness) is 1000-times more enjoyable and informative. The only thing exceptional about Hawk is the size of his ego.

If you think it's entertaining listening to Hawk's fake homespun banter, you could do better watching reruns of Green Acres. Cue the Pulp Fiction theme...
:cool:

:rooney
"We had better be talking about one charming mutha-****ing pig."

:farmer
"100-times more entertaining than that Arnold on Green Acres."

:hawk
"They're talking about me. Mercy..."

RedPinStripes
04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I just get a kick out of when somwthing bad happens, Hawk gets quiet for a half inning and DJ comes up with the the most rediculous comment just to keep the broadcast going as he talks to himself.

Hawk has grown on me. He's been in that booth for about 20 years and it wouldnt be the same without him. As some of you remember, DJ is actually real good when he's not with Hawk.

Cellview22
04-30-2005, 10:33 AM
I love Hawk and DJ. They crack me up every game.

My favorite line this week:
..As the Aflac duck walks across the screen..
Hawk: I've grown to love that duck.
DJ: I'm sure he thinks highly of you too, Hawk.

SSN721
04-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Hawk is coherent and talks about the game, that's more than I can say for Santo. The cubs fan comment is really uncalled for.

I really haven't noticed a difference between this year's broadcast and last years. Hawk's an acquired taste, but I look forward to his style of broadcasting. If I want to listen to someone talking negatively about the Sox I'll talk to my roommate.

Rooney and Farmer are criticized more than Hawk? Really? I can't remember the last time I heard ANYONE criticize Rooney and Farmer.

The Hawk/DJ fued has been over for years and hasn't screwed up any broadcasts for a while.

The hell with you Hammer:cool:
I love Hawk, I dont care if that makes me a homer, I look forward to his broadcasts and really relate to his style. I like how he gets quiet, he always seems to reflect my exact feelings, and the goofy banter between Hawk and DJ just crack me up. I dont know what you want out of the broadcast teams, there arent many better ones out there and I think Hawk and DJ are quite unique in their style. Rooney and Farmer are the best though. I never mind being stuck in a car when I am not at home or at the game to watch it to listen to those two. TOP NOTCH.

Flames24Rulz
04-30-2005, 12:03 PM
i love Hawk too...he beats those fakes that announce the Cubs games. And why get Stone? I have a real strong feeling hes going to be back announcing Cubs games again once Baker gets fired and like other people have mentioned on here, hes pretty much still a Cubs fan.

chisoxfanforever
04-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I have noticed the tension between Hawk and DJ. Could someone tell me what is the fued between them and when and why did it start. The broadcasts have definitely been different this year, but I still like Hawk. He's more interesting than some of the other broadcaster I hear.

Malgar 12
04-30-2005, 12:44 PM

let be honest...whether you like Hawk and DJ or not, Farmer gets criticized all the time on this board.

seanpmurphy
04-30-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't know if it was an off-night or what but I found Hawk and DJ both extremely boring last night. I mean, the game itself was boring until the last few innings, but Hawk and DJ weren't doing anything to keep someone interested. I don't know. I usually enjoy them. It could be worse, look at the two clowns the Cubs got.

hawkjt
04-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I just note a differant dynamic at work in the booth this year. It seemed in the past DJ would do a token inning of play by play but now he seems to end up doing more and hawk is definitely stepping out more often. What is with that?

I also think DJ is very limited in his analysis. He seems to resort to ' he is very close to coming around at the plate' way too much. Dye is close? Rowand is close? C'mon there is no real evidence of that. Do not constantly say it.

When this offense is like it is right now Vin Scully would sound like crap. There is not much to say. We stink offensively right now and as much as they love to tout pitching and Def. it is hard to get as excited about as HRs and runs.

SluggersAway
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM

This thread should've ended right here.

downstairs
04-30-2005, 05:12 PM
I think Hawk is great, but needs to be teamed with a very intelligent counterpart (Stoney would be perfect, but its not gonna happen).

I will agree with the annoying complimenting *every* damn swing of every at bat.

"Dye took some good cuts there, DJ, mercy!"

Ummmm... yeah, he swung and missed at them, Hawk... I could do that.

downstairs
04-30-2005, 05:13 PM
I just note a differant dynamic at work in the booth this year. It seemed in the past DJ would do a token inning of play by play but now he seems to end up doing more and hawk is definitely stepping out more often. What is with that?

He's out having a smoke?

flo-B-flo
04-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Hawk's a crackhead and I love him that way. You need someone with a fast-paced analytical approach sitting next to him--get DJ out of there. Steve Stone.

SomebodyToldMe
04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
My dad HATES Hawk with a passion. He calls him one of the biggest suckups ever. So last year, I got Hawk's autograph then gave it to my dad. He threw it back at me.

I find that to be a funny story...And that's all I really had to say.

Bisco Stu
04-30-2005, 10:15 PM
When I was in Chicago in April, I watched the game @ Twins home opener, and at one point Hawk blamed the attitude of today's spoiled athlete on the divisions caused by the Vietnam War.

batmanZoSo
04-30-2005, 10:27 PM

Who cares if he's biased? White Sox fans are the only ones who watch his broadcasts except for occasional WGN days and the MLBTV guy who gets ths Sox feed for his team's game. The Tigers announcer could be just as big of a homer, but I wouldn't know...or care.

I don't understand why people criticize hawk for this. WHY?

JoseCanseco6969
04-30-2005, 10:34 PM

Well...just checked back on this horrible thread. Which i figured would end up in the roadhouse.:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:
Quit sounding like a Cubs fan?????????????????????? ***? Thats just a bunch of BS. I dont even want to get into this. You need to get a clue and just watch the freaking games on mute if you hate hawk so much. I enjoy his broadcasts, and if that makes me a bad person or even worse a Cubs fan in your eyes....well then that just breaks my heart!

HITMEN OF 77
04-30-2005, 10:46 PM
First off as many have stated, THIS THREAD SUCKS!!

How can you not like DJ tonight talking about how he couldn't wipe his back for couple of days after pitching in a game duirng his playing days. Great stuff. I love Hawk and DJ!! :D:

YourWHAThurts?
04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I've had enough of em. DJ who's been great on Fox, is f'n brutal. Hawk, while as a home announcer is way too much of a homer. It's time for both of them to leave and get a pair that get's along, are homer's but are honest homers. They've both gone from being honest homers to shills. Part of it is definitely love, but they're getting more biased than this site. Amazingly I'd say keep DJ and add some new blood to his broadcasts.

Like Hawk would occasionally say to Wimpy, "Your WHAT hurts???"

Bisco Stu
04-30-2005, 11:01 PM
First off as many have stated, THIS THREAD SUCKS!!

How can you not like DJ tonight talking about how he couldn't wipe his back for couple of days after pitching in a game duirng his playing days. Great stuff. I love Hawk and DJ!! :D:

Hawk has his charms, but DJ is a ROBOT.

Get a brother in there with some personality.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2005, 02:05 AM
...and the guy from Minnesota who daoes the games with Blyleven is alright.Dick Bremer? Jeez, they hardly get any lamer than Bremer. He's Captain Obvious, for one thing. During the last Sox series: "If the Twins hadn't hit into so many double plays, They'd have scored two or three more runs."

Steelrod
05-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Like Hawk would occasionally say to Wimpy, "Your WHAT hurts???"
Didn't Wimpy also feud with Hawk. It seems that no one can get along with his ego! Wimpy and Hawk were fun to listen to. The problem is obviously Hawk. DJ is just fine when he's sitting next to someone else.
DUMP HAWK and bring back WIMPY!

oldcomiskey
05-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Dick Bremer? Jeez, they hardly get any lamer than Bremer. He's Captain Obvious, for one thing. During the last Sox series: "If the Twins hadn't hit into so many double plays, They'd have scored two or three more runs."
I know he has a lame voice but I like to hear him cry when the Twins are being beat --and I guess hes a bit like me-- a borderline smart ass

Darren Jackson
05-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Aww, come on guys, take it easy

Jjav829
05-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Aww, come on guys, take it easy
Who the hell is Darren Jackson? :?:

Chisox003
05-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Give me a break!!

The White Sox are 18-7, and here we are bitching about the announcers?!?

Hawk is a die hard White Sox fan, and DJ is improving with every game...

What a joke!

White Sox Josh
05-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Well said. I never understood some people's fascination over Stone. His baseball segment on the score was absolutely brutal this spring. All he did was talk about "his" cubbies and BS his way through Sox related questions.Actually lately Stoney has talked more about the Sox than the Cubs.

Jjav829
05-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Actually lately Stoney has talked more about the Sox than the Cubs.

Also, I've noticed the new commercials now have Stone saying something to the effect of, "Join me to talk White Sox and Cubs baseball." He now says White Sox first. I think they are trying to make the segment more appealing to Sox fans.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Give me a break!!

The White Sox are 18-7, and here we are bitching about the announcers?!?

Hawk is a die hard White Sox fan, and DJ is improving with every game...

What a joke!

Dj is not improving anymore he's regressing next to hawk. And for all don't get me wrong, I like HOMER Hawk, just not Kool-Aid Hawk that's yelling stretch on lazy fly balls and as said earlier, complimenting 3 whiffs with "He's really starting to swing the bat well right now." Great, his swing looks AWESOME but he swung at a sinker in the dirt, a curve low and away and a high fastball. Give me the 2000-2003 Hawk and I'll be happier.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Dj is not improving anymore he's regressing next to hawk. And for all don't get me wrong, I like HOMER Hawk, just not Kool-Aid Hawk that's yelling stretch on lazy fly balls and as said earlier, complimenting 3 whiffs with "He's really starting to swing the bat well right now." Great, his swing looks AWESOME but he swung at a sinker in the dirt, a curve low and away and a high fastball. Give me the 2000-2003 Hawk and I'll be happier.

Hawk has always been a homer, but last season he started dialing it up. In fact he even announced he was going to dial it up at SoxFest '04.

He's gone completely over the top. Balls that can barely reach the warning track are getting the "stretch" treatment. Nobody is ever in a slump because they're taking "good cuts." He's whining longer and harder than anybody else about the umpires... To listen to this guy for nine innings you really need to check your brain at the door.

JRIG
05-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Hawk has always been a homer, but last season he started dialing it up. In fact he even announced he was going to dial it up at SoxFest '04.

He's gone completely over the top. Balls that can barely reach the warning track are getting the "stretch" treatment. Nobody is ever in a slump because they're taking "good cuts." He's whining longer and harder than anybody else about the umpires... To listen to this guy for nine innings you really need to check your brain at the door.

I am physically unable to listen to Hawk and DJ anymore. I just can't do it. Seems like Hawk has a checklist of points to make each and every game. It's the same discussion each time out.

Turn down the TV, turn up John Rooney. The best in the business.

SSN721
05-02-2005, 09:39 AM

I guess it is just a matter of taste then. I love Rooney and Farmer but I really look forward to Hawk calling a game. I can understand the sentiment of not liking him but I would say at least as many people "check their brains at the door" and like listening to his broadcasts.

Maximo
05-02-2005, 10:02 AM
I had to watch Sunday's game on the Fox feed out of Detroit. Those two guys weren't any better. It was interesting; however, to get the Detroit announcers' views on Garland and the Sox. For the most part, they were fairly complimentary.

I always find discussions here regarding Ken Harrelson's broadcast abilities very interesting. As I have stated previously, I have never been a Harrelson fan...both pre and post his few days as Sox GM. The man has an enormous ego and I have always been from the school that no one is bigger than the team.

Knowing that the vast majority of posters here speak favorably of Harrelson, I wonder if the "for and against" breaks out among age differences. IMO....the older members here can take him or leave him because they've listened to other Sox announcers and the younger ones defend him because they grew up with him, and only him, in the broadcast booth.

Point of my post....if there is one......I would lose no sleep if Harrelson left tomorrow. However, I am less convinced that the next guy would be a whole lot better.

Rooney, on the other hand, is one of the best radio guys in the business.

daveeym
05-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I had to watch Sunday's game on the Fox feed out of Detroit. Those two guys weren't any better. It was interesting; however, to get the Detroit announcers' views on Garland and the Sox. For the most part, they were fairly complimentary.

I always find discussions here regarding Ken Harrelson's broadcast abilities very interesting. As I have stated previously, I have never been a Harrelson fan...both pre and post his few days as Sox GM. The man has an enormous ego and I have always been from the school that no one is bigger than the team.

Knowing that the vast majority of posters here speak favorably of Harrelson, I wonder if the "for and against" breaks out among age differences. IMO....the older members here can take him or leave him because they've listened to other Sox announcers and the younger ones defend him because they grew up with him, and only him, in the broadcast booth.

Point of my post....if there is one......I would lose no sleep if Harrelson left tomorrow. However, I am less convinced that the next guy would be a whole lot better.

Rooney, on the other hand, is one of the best radio guys in the business. I think if you read a lot of the defenders posts it's nostalgia and the "tradition" of Hawk being the broadcaster for sooooo long more than anything else. And hey that's fine by me, doesn't mean they're good though.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Listen to your tapes of Hawk from say the early 80's or the early 90's. You'll notice the difference right away but in large part it's simply because the man has gotten older. It happens, he's just not the same.

And it's not just Hawk....everyone saw what Harry Caray became after his health issues, Skip Caray isan't the same since his either, even Vin Scully who I consider a 'god,' is starting to sound a little shaky in his voice.

Part of the problem is the fact that these are such good jobs and franchises get so identified with their 'voices,' that in many cases these guys stay far beyond the time period for someone in a normal line of work. Basically you have to drag them kicking and screaming out of the booth and many teams are loath to upset their fan base by doing something like this. Remember the flak the Tigers caught when they gave the boot to Ernie harwell a few years ago? The outcry was so great they were forced to bring him back.

Lip

Foulke29
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Know what? I like D.J. He's new, and given how new he is, I feel like he's improved considerably each year.

Hawk is the Hawk man. I love him to death. I love that he calls it so jaded in favor of the Sox.

The guy that started this post is just goofy.

BaseballTonyght
05-02-2005, 01:32 PM
You people need to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings and listen to some of the other announcers around the league. Most are very bad.

So Rowand hits a drive near the warning track and Hawk tries to cheer it out of the yard... so Dye is struggling and Hawk tries to shrug it off as new team jitters... so a few calls go against Buehrle and the umpire is blind... what's wrong with that exactly? Somebody please educate me here. Why wouldn't you want the guy announcing your team's games to root for your team? Are you masochist? This is a game folks... let's have some fun with it eh? I honestly don't get it.

In the words of Hawk: I love Hawk and DJ.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2005, 01:36 PM
You people need to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings and listen to some of the other announcers around the league. Most are very bad.

I think you need to listen to Rooney on the radio with the TV audio muted. Then you'll know why the rest of us find Hawk unlistenable.

MRKARNO
05-02-2005, 01:38 PM
I think you need to listen to Rooney on the radio with the TV audio muted. Then you'll know why the rest of us find Hawk unlistenable.

It's really too bad that the radio runs 1 second ahead of the TV, otherwise it would be a lot easier to do that, but it's not fun knowing what's going to happen a few seconds before seeing it. But then again, the privelige of listening to Rooney with the visual just might be worth it.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
It's really too bad that the radio runs 1 second ahead of the TV, otherwise it would be a lot easier to do that, but it's not fun knowing what's going to happen a few seconds before seeing it. But then again, the privelige of listening to Rooney with the visual just might be worth it.

The TV delay is your friend, MrKarno. Listen to Rooney while busy doing something else, like typing posts at WSI for example. Rooney provides 100-times more details and you know exactly what is going on without busying your eyes watching the TV
:wink:

When something important happens, like a home run or a called third strike, look up and catch the whole thing on the TV. The TV delay gives you time enough to hear it and then see it, too.

It's like getting an extra replay on every key play. That's the way to "watch" a Sox game.
:thumbsup:

BaseballTonyght
05-02-2005, 01:50 PM
When something important happens, like a home run or a called third strike, look up and catch the whole thing on the TV. The TV delay gives you time enough to hear it and then see it, too.

You sold that really well. This actually sounds like a great way to watch a game. I'm going to give it a try :D:.

Although I still think Hawk rules :cool:

JRIG
05-02-2005, 01:51 PM
The TV delay is your friend, MrKarno. Listen to Rooney while busy doing something else, like typing posts at WSI for example. Rooney provides 100-times more details and you know exactly what is going on without busying your eyes watching the TV

It's like getting an extra replay on every key play. That's the way to "watch" a Sox game.

That's the way I do it. Cleaning up trolls, merging threads, sending e-mail...etc. If something happens, Rooney lets me know.

If not, I still know more about what's happening in the game than if I were watching TV.

Unless, of course, I still didn't know that in Hawk's world, "It's not how you hit, it's when you hit it."

stillz
05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Hawk has lost an edge as he's gotten older, but he's still a great baseball man, and a genuine Sox fan - which is better than the alternative. DJ sounds good on the FOX broadcasts because his thoughts and commentary are generic.
Keep Hawk. Lose DJ.

Rooney and Farmer are amazing - they paint a helluva picture.

HITMEN OF 77
05-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Example: the Mariners switch off after 5 innings. The idiots doing TV switch to the radio and vice versa. Worst broadcasters in baseball.

I Luvvv Hawk and DJ!!

faneidde
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
For anyone who doesn't want to read through this whole thread like I just did. Let me quickly sum it up for you.
Some people love Hawk and DJ.
Some people love Hawk, but not DJ.
Some people really disllike Hawk.
Some people don't really like Hawk or DJ, but the other teams' guys are not better.
Some people like Rooney and Farmer much better than Hawk.

That's about it. In 6 pages, a grand total of 5 unique thoughts are presented.

MRKARNO
05-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Hmmm...Never thought about it that way. Thanks for the heads up!

oldcomiskey
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Example: the Mariners switch off after 5 innings. The idiots doing TV switch to the radio and vice versa. Worst broadcasters in baseball.

I Luvvv Hawk and DJ!!

Seattle's are pretty rough but not as bad as Oakland's

oldcomiskey
05-02-2005, 04:59 PM

if the umps are like they were in oakland he needs to whine--and Ive heard him on more than one occasion compiment the umps

oldcomiskey
05-02-2005, 05:06 PM

PGH --the rest of us dont find him unlistenable when you compare him to whats out there---with the exception of jerry remy and jim kaat--whose better--meaning who would you replace him with--and the guy who made the point of long time fans taking Hawks side because hes better than the other Sox announcers has a valid point----Remember Jack Drees----he was terrible----the only three I can thino of that were equal or better than Hawk are Harry Carey, Don Drysdale and Jimmy Piersall. Weve gone thru people like Thorne and Messer and Jim Durham and others and they all put me to sleep

TwinGats
05-02-2005, 05:42 PM

And what's the deal with Hawk throwing in GO BULLS! at random times? I'm not giving up on them but their chemistry could be improved somewhat.

Ya, there was a couple times this year when DJ would be making a point or talking sarcastically about how many hits Ichiro got or whatever, and Hawk just completely snubbed him for a good 5 minutes.

TwinGats
05-02-2005, 05:48 PM

I used to love Hawk when I was younger, but some of his stuff is getting a little old. You can even tell that he gets tired of saying "He gone" sometimes, and there are times when he yells "stretch!" when the ball doesn't even go to the warning track. I can live with all that, he has a passion for the team, but the thing I hate is the dead air or the tone of the broadcast when things are going bad. I think Rooney and Farmer are some of the best in the business, but I'm not always a "watch tv on mute with the radio on" guy, but I will listen to them when things go bad and all you hear is silence, I could be blind and no that things are going wrong. Also, I've learned to not be able to trust Hawk's opinion on a Sox organizational move, because he'll always turn it into a good move by a Sox. Sometimes it's just too much, and it's starting to become a joke with the fans of other teams

Maybe he gets tired of saying "He Gone" because people on ESPN and other broadcasts steal his phrases.

:gulp:

MRKARNO
05-02-2005, 05:54 PM
PGH --the rest of us dont find him unlistenable when you compare him to whats out there---with the exception of jerry remy and jim kaat--whose better--meaning who would you replace him with--and the guy who made the point of long time fans taking Hawks side because hes better than the other Sox announcers has a valid point----Remember Jack Drees----he was terrible----the only three I can thino of that were equal or better than Hawk are Harry Carey, Don Drysdale and Jimmy Piersall. Weve gone thru people like Thorne and Messer and Jim Durham and others and they all put me to sleep

You've obviously never heard Vin Scully, Jon Miller, Duane Kuiper, Joe Buck and a lot of other people that I'm sure I'm missing. Heck, even guys like Dan Schulman and Len Kasper do a better job as play by play guys. I think Hawk is a fun broadcaster to have, but I really wish we had a real play by play man on TV the calibur of one of the aforementioned. Rooney is plain awesome and when you turn on the radio, the contrast is impossible to miss. Hawks misses half the action nowadays and DJ's play by play is not very good.

oldcomiskey
05-02-2005, 06:01 PM
You've obviously never heard Vin Scully, Jon Miller, Duane Kuiper, Joe Buck and a lot of other people that I'm sure I'm missing. Heck, even guys like Dan Schulman and Len Kasper do a better job as play by play guys. I think Hawk is a fun broadcaster to have, but I really wish we had a real play by play man on TV the calibur of one of the aforementioned. Rooney is plain awesome and when you turn on the radio, the contrast is impossible to miss. Hawks misses half the action nowadays and DJ's play by play is not very good.
Miller is good but Scully and Buck put me to sleep- My pint was be careful what you wish for--you may wind up a Jack Drees type

bridgeport_mark
05-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Besides, how can Hawk and DJ be ridiculed when we recently had Chip and Steve for northsider telecasts...don't even want to mention their Hall of Famer wannabe on radio....

JRIG
05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Besides, how can Hawk and DJ be ridiculed when we recently had Chip and Steve for northsider telecasts...don't even want to mention their Hall of Famer wannabe on radio....

Pat Hughes?

Santo's one of the worst broadcasters ever, but I give Hughes some credit. He's not in Rooney's league, but he does a pretty good job, especially considering the handicaps (no pun intended) he has to deal with.

Chisox003
05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
I honestly cant believe this thread hasnt been sentenced to the roadhouse yet...

Since the Sox have off today, Ill list some classic Hawkisms that we wont be able to hear until tomorrow....:whiner:

Of course you got the
"HE GONE!"
"PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOARD, YEEEEEESSSS!"

But lets look beyond this....Lets look at the real Hawk

"I loooooove when you ana-lyze"
"Right Size, wrong shape"
"That ball was scalded"
"STREEEEETCH! GET AWN BACK THERE....HE LOOKS UP...."
"Cinch it up and hunker down"
"Aww he got a cookie right there..."
"....To all our viewers in Mt. Greenwood, Illinois....Mt. Greenwood, Yes."

and a new one, at the aflac trivia question segment
"I love that duck" (DJ responds "And Im sure hes fond of you")

Gotta love it!

Cmon guys, there's so many more! Join the fun! Maybe this should be its own thread...."Solute to Hawkisms" - - - No teal needed

nug0hs
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Dont forget the classic "Mercy..." whenever there is a blantantly horrible Sox play or an obviously missed call. Also, one cannot forget "hangwiffem" or however it is spelled. Seriously, this post is bothering me. Watching a season without Hawk would be like Bulls games without Johnny "Red" Kerr....dry, colorless, and boring. Hawk is as much of our team as anyone in the organization outside of the dugout and scout/front office seats.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
05-03-2005, 05:56 PM
My first post - Long time listener, first time caller.

1st - I'm a big fan of Hawk, DJ, Wimpy, Drysdale, Rooney, and Farmer.

Another one of my favorite Hawkisms is "Sit Back, Relax, and Strap it down!"

AZChiSoxFan
05-03-2005, 06:11 PM

I was with you until you threw in that arrogant little punk, Joe Buck. I wish he and Hunter Wendelstadt would get stranded on a desert island.

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
You've obviously never heard Vin Scully, Jon Miller, Duane Kuiper, Joe Buck and a lot of other people that I'm sure I'm missing. Heck, even guys like Dan Schulman and Len Kasper do a better job as play by play guys. I think Hawk is a fun broadcaster to have, but I really wish we had a real play by play man on TV the calibur of one of the aforementioned. Rooney is plain awesome and when you turn on the radio, the contrast is impossible to miss. Hawks misses half the action nowadays and DJ's play by play is not very good.You forgot to use teal when you were mentioning Len Kasper. :tealpolice:
:tealtutor:

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Len Kasper makes me want to puke when I heard him with the Marlins once.

scottyl
05-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm not gonna read all 5+ pages of discussion on this.

I just have one thing to say: I luv Hawk! Hawk, yeeesss!

SouthSide4Life
05-03-2005, 10:49 PM
this guy should be dragged out in the street and shot

Milkman43
05-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I absolutely love Hawk, but dont you guys think that DJ is talking a lot more than usual. I think he's terrible.

SouthSide4Life
05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
can we please milk a hundred outta this one?

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I luuv Hawk.

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
John and Ed are extremely good to. I think John is one of the best.

White Sox Josh
05-03-2005, 11:16 PM
:tomatoawardyes

Lip Man 1
05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Hawk is going to be gone for awhile. Eye surgery this week. Just posted on the Tribune web site. No word on replacement.

Lip

swanson24
05-03-2005, 11:30 PM
A lot of people like to bash Hawk for being a "Homer" but at Sox Fest he has always been great to the fans. One of the best things about a White Sox television broadcast is that they read email over the air. ("POOF") Hawk has been doing that for years as a way to get the fans involved and show cynical people that the White Sox do care about the fans! "You can put it on the BOARD YESSSSS!"

joe_tansey2004
05-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I agree. I hate Hawk and hate DJ even more. The only thing I like about listening to the two are when they start arguing with each other. It's classic!! Hawk was good with Tommy Paciorek but when he left it Hawk went down hill. DJ seems like he's got a stick up his ass. He can't read the starting lineup for sh*t. He's always messin up. I listen to Rooney and Farmer, at least there entertaining. Rooney's the best in the business.

JoseCanseco6969
05-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I agree. I hate Hawk and hate DJ even more. The only thing I like about listening to the two are when they start arguing with each other. It's classic!! Hawk was good with Tommy Paciorek but when he left it Hawk went down hill. DJ seems like he's got a stick up his ass. He can't read the starting lineup for sh*t. He's always messin up. I listen to Rooney and Farmer, at least there entertaining. Rooney's the best in the business.

Great first post! I cant wait to hear your insight for years to come!

Any chance we can let this thread die????????
Are we doing so damn good that this is what we've taken ourselves down to? Ripping the Hawk and ripping our fans for attendance? I understand a few posts of disapproval, but to go over the 100 mark for hating Hawk and hating on the attendance is just plain sickening.

bouldersox
05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I have mixed feelings about Hawk, but they're both negative.

On one hand I view him as a shill. You couldn't get him to say something objectionable (objective) on several subjects close to the heart of Sox fans if you tried. The topic of Reinsdorf coming immediately to mind.

On the other hand, I am often offended by Hawk's dreary commentary. I hear hear him talk up the opposing pitcher as having such great stuff, that our guys don't have a chance, yet when our pitchers take the mound he laments that they continually take the counts too deep (although with Conteras that is a true statement).

The larger issue is, who do you replace him with? There is no reason to fire Hawk if we don't have a better alternative.

As an aside, I live in Colorado, and subscribe to DirectTV's baseball package. I only get the Chicago broadcast of Sox games about half the time. The rest of the time I am watching the Twins, or Cleveland's or KC's, Oakland's or Seattle's broadcasters. I'd say while i personally don't care for Hawk at all, the team of DJ and Hawk is pretty much middle of the road with the other team's broadcasts.

PatK
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Pat Hughes sounds like he could be someone you know's gay uncle

"Say Ron, how'd you like to come over after the game for a steam bath and chardonnay?"

DJ's comment about the AFLAC duck was hilarious. DJ is always saying little funny things like that.

SpammySosa
05-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Pat Hughes sounds like he could be someone you know's gay uncle

"Say Ron, how'd you like to come over after the game for a steam bath and chardonnay?"

:?: :o: :?:

bayzbol44
05-04-2005, 08:25 PM
I just started visiting this website. I have been looking for this topic in a thread. I am just AMAZED that anyone out there can actually listen to Hawk and DJ. I actually blame Hawk the most. He is just horrible. Yes, go ahead and listen to the other announcers from other towns with the DirecTV package. Yes, some of them are bad, but most are at least average. I think Hawk and DJ would rank in the bottom 1/3 among all the announcers. Has anyone tried to just listen to a game they announce? Just listen to it with your eyes closed. A blind person would NEVER be able to listen to their broadcast. They provide absolutely no description of the game. Oh sure, during the 1st inning or two Hawk actually tells you where the fly ball or ground ball go to. However, as the game goes on, there is very little talking. Never says if the pitch was a fastball, curve, slide or change? Was that outside, inside, high? Was the ball hit to left, center or right? I know, I am watching the game, so I can see it myself. However, there are times, when I am on the computer and have the TV on at the same time. Listen, I hate the Cubs, but I in the previous years, I would watch them (lose) because Chippy and Stoney were good. At least they talked the whole game. In a Sox game, I can almost hear the conversation of the people sitting under their broadcast box. Please Hawk and DJ, talk a LOT more during the game. Hawk, please stop being SUCH A HOMER. "Stretch..." Makes me throw up. "Come on Shingo, no walks..." Makes me sick also. What is the point of talking to the player from his box??? Shouldn't he say something to DJ like..."Shingo is going to have to avoid walks in order to stay out of trouble this inning." Or something like that. I HATE that he talks to the players during the game. What a freakin' homer. There are NO other announcers that talk to the players during a TV broadcast. At least not as much as Hawk does. Obviously, the Sox are SLOWLY noticing how bad Hawk is because at least they are now having DJ do some play by play once in a while. The problem with this broadcast team is that they have 2 color commentators and not 1 play by play person for the WHOLE cast. Someone needs to take charge and do pbp and one do color.

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I hate the Cubs, but I in the previous years, I would watch them (lose) because Chippy and Stoney were good. At least they talked the whole game. Ahhh, ha ha ha ha ha. "Chippy" was good. Oooh man, you really got me with that one. I've got tears running down my cheeks. Wooh.

It's TELEVISION! I don't need the announcer to tell me what I just saw. Close your eyes and try to figure out what's going on? Of course not. I say again: IT'S TELEVISION. The picture is an integral part of the medium.

If you want to know what's going on without watching, you listen to RADIO.

spongyfungy
05-05-2005, 01:40 AM
DJ sounded pretty confident today, as if he didn't have to try to impress someone with their baseball acumen or be careful to say something that another person may disagree with.

iamkoza
05-05-2005, 01:43 AM
I just started visiting this website. I have been looking for this topic in a thread. I am just AMAZED that anyone out there can actually listen to Hawk and DJ. I actually blame Hawk the most. He is just horrible. Yes, go ahead and listen to the other announcers from other towns with the DirecTV package. Yes, some of them are bad, but most are at least average. I think Hawk and DJ would rank in the bottom 1/3 among all the announcers. Has anyone tried to just listen to a game they announce? Just listen to it with your eyes closed. A blind person would NEVER be able to listen to their broadcast. They provide absolutely no description of the game. Oh sure, during the 1st inning or two Hawk actually tells you where the fly ball or ground ball go to. However, as the game goes on, there is very little talking. Never says if the pitch was a fastball, curve, slide or change? Was that outside, inside, high? Was the ball hit to left, center or right? I know, I am watching the game, so I can see it myself. However, there are times, when I am on the computer and have the TV on at the same time. Listen, I hate the Cubs, but I in the previous years, I would watch them (lose) because Chippy and Stoney were good. At least they talked the whole game. In a Sox game, I can almost hear the conversation of the people sitting under their broadcast box. Please Hawk and DJ, talk a LOT more during the game. Hawk, please stop being SUCH A HOMER. "Stretch..." Makes me throw up. "Come on Shingo, no walks..." Makes me sick also. What is the point of talking to the player from his box??? Shouldn't he say something to DJ like..."Shingo is going to have to avoid walks in order to stay out of trouble this inning." Or something like that. I HATE that he talks to the players during the game. What a freakin' homer. There are NO other announcers that talk to the players during a TV broadcast. At least not as much as Hawk does. Obviously, the Sox are SLOWLY noticing how bad Hawk is because at least they are now having DJ do some play by play once in a while. The problem with this broadcast team is that they have 2 color commentators and not 1 play by play person for the WHOLE cast. Someone needs to take charge and do pbp and one do color.

I get all the info i need from hawk... hawk knows that we arent blind people watching tv

Sleep520
05-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Is it really that big of a deal? I tend to focus on what's happening on the field and not realy care who's saying what. I don't see what there's to hate about Hawk. Did somebody tell you guys he kicks puppies or something?

daveeym
05-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Is it really that big of a deal? I tend to focus on what's happening on the field and not realy care who's saying what. I don't see what there's to hate about Hawk. Did somebody tell you guys he kicks puppies or something?No, but I'd like him better then, he'd fit in with ozzie slicing up umpires.

Wow got a tomato award out of this thread. Bwhahahahahahahah

MIgrenade
05-06-2005, 11:47 AM
DJ has impressed me doing play by play. Not necessarily because he is good but because he doesn't suck as much as I thought he would. Don Paul is AWFUL. Not that he's ever done it before.
Hawk is awesome, he is perfect for Chicago and for the Sox, he is not a national telecast guy. He needs a real color guy, DJ sounds like a child in the booth.

mdep524
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
And for all don't get me wrong, I like HOMER Hawk, just not Kool-Aid Hawk that's yelling stretch on lazy fly balls and as said earlier, complimenting 3 whiffs with "He's really starting to swing the bat well right now." Great, his swing looks AWESOME but he swung at a sinker in the dirt, a curve low and away and a high fastball. Give me the 2000-2003 Hawk and I'll be happier. I think this is a good point. I specifically like "homer" Hawk- rooting for the Sox, being excited about good Sox news, catch phrases, etc. I don't like apologist Hawk- making excuses, denying slumps, constant rose-colored glasses, etc. It invalidates all his opinions.

Still, overall I like listening to Hawk and DJ- just wish Hawk would turn up the realism a little and not insult the audience.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
My only contribution to this discussion is the fact that fans need to remember these announcers are being paid by the clubs they broadcast for and they have final approval on if they can keep their jobs.

It's not like the 'old' days when broadcasters were paid by the stations they represented, and could say practically anything they wanted to. The situation has turned 180 degrees since then.

About the only guy today who could get away with saying anything he wanted to and not get fired would be Vin Scully of the Dodgers because he is a certifiable legend.

'Honesty,' and 'broadcasting' are two words that are no longer connected today. That's just the way it is. Announcers are all by and large 'shrills' for the teams they work for, that what the owners expect and demand.

Lip

mweflen
05-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Too bad Hawk can't read this thread right now. :smile: Get well soon big guy!

People who rip on Hawk for being a "homer" are ignorant. Almost every announcer on a local station is a homer. Know why? In addition to the team shill comments, it is very simple: people want it that way. How annoying is it to listen to a Cubs Sox game with the WGN guys? Or, even a nationally televised game with ESPN guys?

I want to listen to someone who is up to the minute on the Sox roster (as Hawk and DJ are), and who has a rooting interest in the team.

I mean, come on. Rooney's a "homer," too. I don't hear anyone complaining about him.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
'Honesty,' and 'broadcasting' are two words that are no longer connected today. That's just the way it is. Announcers are all by and large 'shrills' for the teams they work for, that what the owners expect and demand.

Yep. Just like Teddy Greenstein and his editors collecting their paychecks over at Cubune Cower. Bought and paid for... incredibly naive for claiming Holy Innocence, too.

petekat
05-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Dj is great and underrated, will get a good shot this comign week with homerin Hawk out of the way

I love Hawk but DJ is brutal. Please replace him with Stoney.

JoseCanseco6969
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Too bad Hawk can't read this thread right now. :smile: Get well soon big guy!

People who rip on Hawk for being a "homer" are ignorant. Almost every announcer on a local station is a homer. Know why? In addition to the team shill comments, it is very simple: people want it that way. How annoying is it to listen to a Cubs Sox game with the WGN guys? Or, even a nationally televised game with ESPN guys?

I want to listen to someone who is up to the minute on the Sox roster (as Hawk and DJ are), and who has a rooting interest in the team.

I mean, come on. Rooney's a "homer," too. I don't hear anyone complaining about him.

yeah rooney is a homer and also is great. I enjoy listening to Hawk, Rooney and farmer. DJ is the only horrible announcer we have. It felt so sterile watching the game yesterday with Dj and Pall. I just hope Hawk is around for years to come because White Sox baseball just isnt the same without the Hawkeroo.

Sox of White
05-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm not gonna read all 5+ pages of discussion on this.

I just have one thing to say: I luv Hawk! Hawk, yeeesss!

Word. Get well soon Hawk!

daveeym
05-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Bah Hawk has taken Homer to far and it has turned into Pollyanna. Yup that's right I said it. :cool:

JoseCanseco6969
05-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Bah Hawk has taken Homer to far and it has turned into Pollyanna. Yup that's right I said it. :cool:

Are you ever gonna let this madness you call a thread die???? We get it you hate hawk.
And in your own words....Quit being a Cubs fan and stop bitching about it!!!

daveeym
05-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Are you ever gonna let this madness you call a thread die???? We get it you hate hawk.
And in your own words....Quit being a Cubs fan and stop bitching about it!!! Hey go cry about it somemore (Like a cubsfan), I haven't posted in this thread since it started until today that's uhm, yeah about AN ENTIRE WEEK. I'm sure you've bumped it back up the board alot more than me. I'll give you this though, Hawk sure is no Donn Pall. :roflmao: Now he's brutal. And paired with DJ I think they put to sleep the production crew.

I want Mags back
06-15-2005, 11:48 AM
I LUV THE HAWK

HE GONE !!!!

mike squires
06-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Yet another thread on Hawk? This is getting to be about an everyday thing. Do a search to find all the threads we have on Hawk. Not a good idea to make your first post negative one. I'd say welcome but...

wxkid23
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
The Hawk makes listening to the games fun!! Anytime I listen to other broadcasts, I find myself nearly falling asleep or muting the audio. The Hawk brings the personality and the bias. You can tell when we are winning, the Hawk is enjoying it just as much as you are.

SOXintheBURGH
06-15-2005, 12:03 PM
What's with all the Hawk bashing lately? I for one miss hearing him every game since I'm so far removed from Chicago. The only thing about winning the World Series this year that I'm going to feel negative about is not hearing Hawk make the call for the final out.

SOXintheBURGH
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I also defend Hawk to the death. But I'd what I'd love to have happen in the booth would be to have a stronger personality opposite him in the booth than Jackson. Someone who isn't dead serious all the time, but who brings a more solid baseball resume with him, and who isn't a dishrag like DJ (and wimpy). John Kruk has worn the pinstripes, but he's wearing thin lately.

So I'm basically satisfied with the booth, but I cringe way too often. I think a better partner would be beneficial to everybody.

*cough* Robin Ventura *cough*

*achoo* Black Jack *sneeze*

jackbrohamer
06-15-2005, 12:09 PM
What's with all the Hawk bashing lately?

Seriously, the more bashing he gets this year the more I like him. He must be doing something right to hack off so many people

Cellview22
06-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I think he's the same announcer that's been in the booth since 1991. If anything, he's just gotten better over the years. Is this your first year noticing him?

Unregistered
06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
The only thing about winning the World Series this year that I'm going to feel negative about is not hearing Hawk make the call for the final out. Nah, Hawk would be long gone by then. The regular broadcast team is playing golf by the time the World Series even starts - it would be the national guys calling those games...

IlliniSox
06-15-2005, 12:20 PM
*cough* Robin Ventura *cough*

*achoo* Black Jack *sneeze*

Ventura's kind of a square (don't get me wrong, nice guy, one of my all-time faves). Black Jack would be awesome, a Cy Young Award winner sitting next to him would keep Hawk's ego in check.

SOXintheBURGH
06-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Nah, Hawk would be long gone by then. The regular broadcast team is playing golf by the time the World Series even starts - it would be the national guys calling those games...

That's what I meant.. no Hawk during playoffs cause of National tools and drillrods.

"The White Sox win the World Series! Go Cubs in 2006!"

Unregistered
06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
That's what I meant.. no Hawk during playoffs cause of National tools and drillrods.

"The White Sox win the World Series! Go Cubs in 2006!"Ah, OK - I thought you were saying that cause you didn't live in Chicago...

Soxzilla
06-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Nah, Hawk would be long gone by then. The regular broadcast team is playing golf by the time the World Series even starts - it would be the national guys calling those games...

That's what he meant. He won't enjoy us winning the WS as much this year because Hawk won't be able to make the call for that final, title clinching out. However, maybe Comcast will do like they did with the crosstown series and air the game with local announcers (Though, I doubt that is possible since I bet FOX or whoever has blackout rules or whatever). We should make an uproar about it regardless...I'd rather hear Hawk and DJ than those jags Morgan and the other one.

Or even worse, Mr. Slamalama Ding-Dong. :(.

Oh, and this thread is...

:deadhorse:

Juice16
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
I have no idea why people find it necessary to bash the Hawk. I have grown up with him and I can't imagine the Sox without him. Comparing him to Santo his plain ignorant. 5 year old boys can do a better than Santo. Calling his broadcasts unprofessional is really ridiculous. I really don't understand people on this board sometimes.

Baby Fisk
06-15-2005, 01:15 PM
People who grumble about Hawk being too much of a homer are like old men who grumble about rock & roll.

Face it folks: more and more MLB teams are becoming completely intertwined with the networks that broadcast them. Look at YES Network. It exists by, of, and for the New York Yankees. Their announcers are not unbiased journalists, they are SPIN DOCTORS. Eventually, every team will have its own version of the YES Network and along with that will come a set of spin doctors to put their team and their management in the best light possible. Unbiased broadcasters will continue go the way of big band music.

(with apologies to Benny Goodman fans :duck: )

bayzbol44
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
BAD. I don't think I need to say anything else.

Baby Fisk
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
BAD. I don't think I need to say anything else.
You have eloquently stated your case in similar threads. It's funny because I see your user name and immediately think: "That's the guy who hates Hawk so much." :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
06-15-2005, 03:30 PM

I've had to use it more often than not over the last 2 years.:(:

petergriffen
06-15-2005, 03:46 PM
hawk is a huge part of the white sox. his home run calls are by now legendary. who else do you hawk haters have in mind anyways? i didnt think so! hawks the best, i grew up on hawk. and i got no beef with DJ, keep 'em both.

ssirish317
06-15-2005, 06:39 PM

What was the beef between Hawk and DJ?

eastchicagosoxfan
06-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I enjoy the Hawk's calls during a game. He's very entertaining. His ego is irritating, but he makes good points. It would be interested to see him in the booth with someone he considers his baseball equal ( intellectually ), but all those guys seem to have passed on. I like his " stretch " call for homers. And I love " Put it on the board......YES ". Hawk is a piece of local Americana, if there can be such a thing.

Mr. White Sox
06-15-2005, 07:49 PM
I tolerate Hawk and really dislike DJ, but I think the Sox could do better. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel kind of shortchanged if I can imitate Hawk and call the game exactly as he does...even before he says a line I can usually say the similar/same thing right before.

petergriffen
06-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I tolerate Hawk and really dislike DJ, but I think the Sox could do better. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel kind of shortchanged if I can imitate Hawk and call the game exactly as he does...even before he says a line I can usually say the similar/same thing right before.

so? thats one of the reasons i like hawk. ive come to know him over the years. but hes not that predictable. he has original ideas and interesting opinions. anyways, i dont hear any suggestions for a replacement. know why? there isnt one! hawk IS the white sox, in a sense. dont fight it. its hawk, baby. dont hate.

OlSkoolSouthside
06-15-2005, 09:39 PM
It's refreshing to hear announcers who are passionate about their team and what they do!

:supernana:

Hoffdaddydmb
06-16-2005, 12:17 AM
I love Hawk! Yes he's predictable, but there's nothing wrong with familiar territory. The thing I can't stand is when Hawk and DJ are recounting stories from when they played. DJ was never great enough of player to have any good stories. When it all comes down to it I'd rather have the two of them then risk getting the awful duds that the Cubs have this year. They drive my Flubby friends nuts, they can't watch a game with sound anymore. I can't say the same about my southside boys.

Epark84
06-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Hawk has slipped a lot and DJ has always been brutal. I used to love Hawk but now he sounds like a ****ing cub announcer, blaming the umps. Umps dont win or lose games. Being a homer is fine, but he has slipped a great deal

Mammoo
06-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Time for a change....

Total lack of objectivity...of course that's what Owner Jerry wants.

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Total lack of objectivity...of course that's what Owner Jerry wants.Screw Jerry, I don't want "objectivity." I'm not objective about the Sox.

I don't want "broadcast journalism" from a baseball announcer. I want to hear from him the same crap I'm yelling in my family room. Why would you want to listen to someone who sounds like he doesn't care who wins?

Juice16
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Hawk has slipped a lot and DJ has always been brutal. I used to love Hawk but now he sounds like a ****ing cub announcer, blaming the umps. Umps dont win or lose games. Being a homer is fine, but he has slipped a great deal

Umps play a huge part in games whether people want to see it or not. If an ump makes a horrible call, or worse when home plate magically extends a foot outside, I want him to say something and not ignore it like most announcers. I'm sick of hearing guys on a replay.......there , you see it just caught the outside, and the ball is in the other batter's box.........BS! I have no problem with him or anyone calling out bad calls. I want my announcer to be a White Sox fan! Objective announcing is not for home team telecasts and is very boring.

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Screw Jerry, I don't want "objectivity." I'm not objective about the Sox.

I don't want "broadcast journalism" from a baseball announcer. I want to hear from him the same crap I'm yelling in my family room. Why would you want to listen to someone who sounds like he doesn't care who wins?

Yup. If I could find a bear tv broadcast where the announcers are going "what the hell are you doing?" and "mike brown intercepts, yes! he's got a block down the left side, go, go... you can put it on the booooooard, yes!" I would be all over it. I'm not objective and i don't want my announcers to be either.

However, at the same time, I want them to be real. If the team sucks, i want them to say it... which i guess was the original point of this thread.. the point of homerism that is too much.

Jerome
06-16-2005, 11:54 AM
I cannot stand our announcers. Maybe Hawk would make a good color man but he is not a PBP man. He is WAY too much a homer for my tastes. I will take Farmer and Rooney any day of the week. I wouldn't mind Hawk as an analyst next to a real broadcaster where maybe he wouldn't have to talk as much.

There is a reason why we take a lot of crap from outsiders (not just cub fans) about how "we have the worst announcers in baseball". (Wasn't there a thread a little while ago about this?)

:threadrules:

EdHerman12
06-16-2005, 05:46 PM
So far I've heard Hawk use the phrase, "He is the best(fill in the blank) I have ever seen" at least once for every two games he's done thus far...

DJ is just an echo for Harrelson. If the Hawk said eating a heaping dose of horse manure was good for you, chances are DJ would respond in the affirmative...I say the two of them need to be shown the door, and simulcast the raido broadcast with Rooney, and Farmer...

Dodgers heading to town....Podsednik should be careful if he has to back to the wall...when these guys come to play theSox players have been known to get a beer dumped on them....:gulp: too many could cause that to happen....

GO SOX!

Buehrle_Man56
06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I love Hawk and DJ..I dont see anything wrong with them.

MsSoxVixen22
06-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Why does everyone dislike Hawk and DJ so much?! At least they don't bash the opposing team like the Cub announcers always do. And Santo? ***? He puts me to sleep. Hawk and DJ are so entertaining and I laugh my ass off everytime I watch and for that matter, listen to a game. Hawk is a die hard Sox fan thru and thru. And I can't WAIT to hear him go nuts when the Sox take it all! DJ, I think is better than he has been in the past but he is kinda bad when Hawk goes to get some cotton candy! Who really sucked was whoever it was the was announcing with DJ when Hawk was out for his surgery. Lets leave our announcers alone! Other people (cub fans) are just jealous they don't have anybody as funny as Hawk or any of his sayings! :chicago

tick53
06-18-2005, 01:21 AM
You know what will happen if either one of them were to leave? Chances are the
Chairman would replace them with someone even worse. How about Donn Pall as
a new analyst?:whiner:

Chisox003
06-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Screw Jerry, I don't want "objectivity." I'm not objective about the Sox.

I dont even have to read any further. That's the post, right there.

He's the official professor for god sakes, of course he's right!

Thread closed. :gulp:

soxlover
06-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I actually enjoyed some of the guest announcers. I liked Jack McDowell and Mike Huff. Donn Pall was brutal:o:

np1000
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
DJ can be boring and stale but Hawk is the man...........as for objectivity.....
c'mon gimme a break.....no one was more a homer than the legend who started his Chicago antics on the south side.....good ole Holy Cow himself

You can put that on the board....YES!.......

4th Gen. Sox Fan
06-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Hawk is great with all his Hawkisms, "Grab some bench", "Pops it up, that's a can of corn", "Gas", "Mercy", "Base hit, ball four", "First and third him", "He's in the catbird seat", "Zone him in, reel him in, and light him up", " Tonight's pick to click"and of course "He gone" and the all time classic "Way back, he looks up, You can put it on the board YES!". It was better when it was hawk and wimpy.

Baby Fisk
06-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Time for a change....

Total lack of objectivity...of course that's what Owner Jerry wants.
I'd love to see which names would be proposed as "objective" announcers.

Straingage
06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
I would keep hawk but, we need somebody beside him who's a little more critical and not as biased or kiss ass as Dj is.

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
As well as Rooney and Farmer.

Rooney,yes.
Farmer????:rolleyes: :rolleyes: OY VAY!!

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I actually enjoyed some of the guest announcers. I liked Jack McDowell and Mike Huff. Donn Pall was brutal:o:

McDowell was by far the best.:cool: :cool:

Lip Man 1
06-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Hawk was an excellent color man for Don Drysdale although both guys actually did play by play and color when they teamed up to do Sox games in the early 80's. They were a very good team.

Darrin Jackson is just plain awful.... Bill Melton where are you???

Lip

Rich McKinney
06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
The Hawk is too much of a homer? If you're broadcasting to pretty much only Sox fans in the viewing audience, why wouldn't you be a homer?
DJ is a great guy, but an atrocious announcer. I never have seen him on Fox (as I live in Arizona now) but I hear he's a completely different announcer away from Hawk. He seems to be afraid or intimidated by Hawk.
They should use DJ out in the crowd with casual updates with a decent color man (top choice Jimmy Piersall, but realistically, Bill Melton) along with Hawk.
DJ isn't the worst, though. That distinction belongs to Ken Phelps, who does color on radio for the DBacks.

oystapoboy
06-26-2005, 01:03 PM
I have listened to the games on the radio more this year. We are lucky to have two great radio guys. I can deal with Hawk, but DJ is like noncarb light beer. He needs to go. I can't see Steve Stone and Hawk hitting it off. So I'll keep the sound down on the t.v. and the radio on. It works when the W.S. are on wgn, but delays on cable by a couple seconds.