PDA

View Full Version : Can we take swings at the first pitch?

buehrle4cy05
04-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Too many times today have the Sox let a great first pitch sail by into Ivan Rodriguez's glove. Gotta be agressive, this team looks like its playing not to lose, instead of playing to win today. Let's turn it around off Percival in the 9th.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Most of the time I'd agree. It looks like they're just guessing wrong, and many pitchers have caught on by now. I am stunned when our hitters don't get a first-pitch strike.

But in the third inning tonight, all three outs were made on the first pitch, leaving two runners stranded.

popilius
04-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Too many times today have the Sox let a great first pitch sail by into Ivan Rodriguez's glove. Gotta be agressive, this team looks like its playing not to lose, instead of playing to win today. Let's turn it around off Percival in the 9th.

This is very true. There are some guys who know how and when to swing at the first pitch- Timo usually does a good job, and Iguchi's pretty good (minus that first week).

About Konerko, he's not swinging at first pitches as much as he did last year! In his horrible 2003 year, it seemed like he never swung at a first pitch, but I thought his success last year came on a lot of first-pitch hits, including homers.

You're not the only one who noticed this. . .

:gulp:

VivaOzzie
04-30-2005, 05:06 AM
Wow, I wanted to start a post about this same thing after watching the game tonight. I especially want Paulie to start looking for the first pitch. Its like everyone knows we want to be patient and take the first pitch, so they throw a delicious fastball over the heart of the plate. Lets take the damn bat off our shoulder and start hitting the ball.

jabrch
04-30-2005, 06:02 AM
last week people were bitching that we swing too much at the first pitch and that we aren't working the count enough.

South Sider
04-30-2005, 06:05 AM
last week people were bitching that we swing too much at the first pitch and that we aren't working the count enough.

Exactly !

I like it more when they take one pitch instaed of the countless one pitch one (Pop Fly) outs from the past.

Work the count !!!

SSN721
04-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I say work the count, at least for now, it seemed like every swing at the first pitch last night was a pop-up, and almost always in RBI situations.

mdep524
04-30-2005, 10:42 AM
last week people were bitching that we swing too much at the first pitch and that we aren't working the count enough.I have to agree with jab and SS here. I can't stand when the Sox swing at the first pitch. Our hitters are much better when they work the count a little than when they swing at the first pitch. It's especially frustrating when Crede and Konerko do it, because it never fails to produce a pop up.

kevingrt
04-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I say work the count, at least for now, it seemed like every swing at the first pitch last night was a pop-up, and almost always in RBI situations.

Totally agree. Especially the first inning, you want the rest of the lineup to see what the pitcher is throwing and what his game plan is going into hitters. Swinging at first pitch is only for a couple players such as Vlad. Too many players just pop out or take a huge cut and whiff.

hose
04-30-2005, 11:13 AM

Exactly , first the complaint was our walk totals were to low because we weren't working the count and now we are to patient.:?:

Lip Man 1
04-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Maybe that has something to do with the fact that the Sox have had what, 18 walks in the past three games and lost that all excruciatingly.

:(:

Lip

FRANK FORT
04-30-2005, 03:13 PM
It's not just that they let the first pitch go by. Yeah, they must be guessing wrong because it seems like they already have decided to let the first go by and swing at the second no matter what. For example, I appreciate what Crede's been doing lately (one of only 2 or 3 hitting above .300), but how many times have you seen him go up there and let the first go by, and then foul off a trashy second pitch so he's sitting 0-2? He's not the only one either, this I do realize. Where the hell is Walker, and what does he make of all this?

soxtalker
04-30-2005, 04:26 PM
If there is any "fixed rule" in this case, I'd much rather it be that they do NOT swing at the first pitch. At least that lets them work the count and allows for some walks. But this doesn't have to be a "fixed rule," and it probably seldom is. If the pitcher is getting the first pitch over the plate consistently, batters usually tend to notice this and stop taking as many pitches.

jabrch
04-30-2005, 04:41 PM
If the first pitch is a good one to hit - SWING AT IT.

If the first pitch isn't - TAKE IT.

This isn't brain surgery.

DMarte708
04-30-2005, 05:44 PM
I've noticed a recent trend with first pitch hitting which I've derived from Aaron Rowands AB's this season:

Aaron Rowand takes a first pitch, it's almost ALWAYS a strike down the middle.

Aaron Rowand swings after a first pitch, it's almost ALWAYS a foot off the plate.

Our hitting slump is reflective of this. We swing early, it's a popup or miss. Take the first pitch, and its usually a fastball down broadway. It was amazing watching Robertson throw fastball after fastball, hitter after hitter last night and either our club watched it go past or made an out. It's as if noone was looking for it, or when they did, couldn't make good contact. Very frustrating.